become a reviewer

hopkins569

...i think i could give something back to the site

Although it's a nice thought, I would probably put a higher value on giving back to the Geocaching Community, rather than to the site (and I suspect that Groundspeak would likely agree).

Not an inclusive list, but you might want to consider:

- Put out quality Hides

- Keep the caches you Hide in well maintained order

- Host an Event

- Introduce others to the sport to help it grow

- Host a CITO Event

- Get involved in the Forum

- If you have areas with restrictive land use policies near you (e.g. National Park Service), become a liaison to help open these areas up to Geocaching.

Asking to be a reviewer probably only hurts your chances to actually become one. If your area needs additional reviewing help and you've built a good reputation GC.com will find you. As to your reviewer's stats, some maintain separate identities for thier reviewing duties and their own caching.

Asking to be a reviewer probably only hurts your chances to actually become one. If your area needs additional reviewing help and you've built a good reputation GC.com will find you. As to your reviewer's stats, some maintain separate identities for thier reviewing duties and their own caching.

And to think I've deliberately gone out of my way to appear an unpalatable choice so I won't have to say 'NO THANKS' when they ask me! :D

:D

Although it's a nice thought, I would probably put a higher value on giving back to the Geocaching Community, rather than to the site (and I suspect that Groundspeak would likely agree).

- Put out quality Hides

- Host an Event

- Host a CITO Event

- If you have areas with restrictive land use policies near you (e.g. National Park Service), become a liaison to help open these areas up to Geocaching.

I'd add to that: simply go out and seek some more geocaches. By finding them, you're keeping the pastime thriving and making caches worth hiding.

Edited by Happy Humphrey
You know, I've heard that said many times, but I would have to question it. I seriously doubt that a part of the selection process when looking for a new reviewer is to see if the individual has ever asked to become one. And if all other conditions are met with favorably, and it should come to light that at one point the person in question had volunteered, that it would more likely be seen as a favorable thing, and not a detriment.
You know, I've heard that said many times, but I would have to question it. I seriously doubt that a part of the selection process when looking for a new reviewer is to see if the individual has ever asked to become one. And if all other conditions are met with favorably, and it should come to light that at one point the person in question had volunteered, that it would more likely be seen as a favorable thing, and not a detriment.

I could have worded that better. My comment was addressing the perception that one who campaigns for a position may be viewed as wanting to enact a personal agenda. I didn't mean to say that Groundspeak would automatically not consider one who asks for the job or that such a person would have said agenda. It's just the perception that they might and someone who is well known in the caching community that hasn't inquired about the job may be more likely approached first.

I could have worded that better. My comment was addressing the perception that one who campaigns for a position may be viewed as wanting to enact a personal agenda. I didn't mean to say that Groundspeak would automatically not consider one who asks for the job or that such a person would have said agenda. It's just the perception that they might and someone who is well known in the caching community that hasn't inquired about the job may be more likely approached first.

Thanks for the clarification, but please know that I wasn't singling you out. I really have seen basically those same words repeated here in the past, and it was the overall perception that I was addressing. Edited by knowschad

how do you become a reviewer its just that im on geocaching.com most days and i think i could give something back to the site

If you want to be a reviewer try this. Wake up in the morning and hit yourself over the head with a hammer 5 times. The feeling will be the same and you will save a lot of money on Rolaids.

how do you become a reviewer its just that im on geocaching.com most days and i think i could give something back to the site

If you want to be a reviewer try this. Wake up in the morning and hit yourself over the head with a hammer 5 times. The feeling will be the same and you will save a lot of money on Rolaids.

I thought that was the advice for wannabe moderators, Brian.

I thought that was the advice for wannabe moderators, Brian.

Wait a minute.. Brian is a moderator?? I had no idea.. :D

Actually I believe that it does have some truth to it.

The thinking is that if you actively seek a Reviewer role then it is likely because you want to inject your agenda and opinions into the game. This is common in any area of volunteerism... when the job costs you money, time, you get grief from strangers and have to smile and take it, you have but limited flexibility and no real authority, your decisions can be overturned for a variety of reasons and there is no future gain in it, the most your hard work will get you is more of the same... then the motives of anyone who actually WANTS that job have to be suspect!

I know that in my case becoming a Reviewer never occurred to me.

I was active in the game, helped start a state geocaching association, hosted many events, attended many others, traveled a lot to events and to caches all over a six-state region, went caching in groups large and small and as a result made a lot of friends. I posted helpful advice in the GC forums and avoided angst and controversy in them. I helped start an online forum for our state association and served as a Moderator for that forum.

I did those things because that's my nature and personality, not to establish a reputation or gain Groundspeak's attention.

As I understand it when Groundspeak needed another Reviewer (for Arkansas... I live in Alabama) they asked some existing Reviewers for names. Unbeknownst to me the then-current Arkansas Reviewer was a friend and mentioned my name. Several well-known Alabama cachers and area Reviewers were secretly asked what they thought, and evidently they thought that I would be a good candidate. I know of three people who were asked what they thought of me, but I wouldn't learn that until later. All during that process I never had a clue that I was being considered.

When the call came asking if I was interested in the job I couldn't imagine why me; I had just retired and wasn't looking for a job, volunteer or paid, and there were a number of geocachers I knew who had great reputations and who were to my mind more likely candidates. I wonder to this day if at least two of them were asked and turned it down... when I asked them they just smiled and change the subject, so who knows!

I ended up reviewing Arkansas and Alabama at a time when geocaching was really expanding in both states. It took a good bit of time and I spent a good bit of money traveling and attending events (a choice, not a job requirement). While I absolutely loved it I can tell you that it's not a job for everyone... the statement that 'smart people don't want it' isn't completely a joke!

Many wannabe Reviewers appear to think that it would be cool to have some kind of 'power'. In fact Reviewers have limited discretion but all power is centered at the frog palace... Reviewers assure that listings adhere to the published Guidelines. If they don't like a cache listing but it fits the Guidelines they have to hold their nose and list it. Groundspeak will not hesitate to over-rule or slap the hand of a Reviewer who oversteps his bounds. Nothing 'powerful' in that! The role of the Reviewer is totally one of selfless service.

Anyhoo... if my experience is any sort of a guide then just be yourself, cache the way you enjoy caching and when Groundspeak needs cannon fodder another lackey another Reviewer they may come calling! :huh:

I'm pretty sure that asking or campaigning for the job, publicly criticizing your current Reviewer and stating that you can do better are all certain ways to insure that you won't get the call. ;)

<snip>

I'm pretty sure that asking or campaigning for the job, publicly criticizing your current Reviewer and stating that you can do better are all certain ways to insure that you won't get the call. ;)

Can I please be a reviewer? I have a Blue Bow and blonde hair, it's an irresistible combination!

And boy, would I do a better job then Heartland Cacher. I mean, he calls me Rocky every time he sees me, his mind is CLEARLY going. Plus, he wouldn't let me place a night nano cache on the railroad tracks.

(Is this enough to make sure I never get tapped, or do I have to go on?)

my local reviewer has found 3 and hidden one thats why i thought anyone could do it as i would be happy to do it as i have so much free time at work just now

If you'd asked any of the local cachers, they would have been able to tell you that Alba15 has a large number of finds under her player account geoki ;) . All the UK Reviewers have 2 accounts, Reviewer and Player Accounts. If Alba is not able to Review due to illness or other reason. One of the other UK Reviewers will cover for her.

The list is

Reviewer Name-Finder Name-Personal Name

Alba15--geoki--Carol

Chiastiolite--Von Horst--Helen

The Bee Keeper--sssss--Steve

Graculus--The Blorenges--Chris

Deceangi--Mancunian Pyrocacher--Dave

Antheia is currently in the closet, but will be out at the UK Mega in Perth Scotland.

geoawareUK is in the closet, but will be out at the UK Mega in Perth Scotland. As I believe there is a possibility of a Earthcache workshop.

Oh and if you look at my finds, their wildly inaccurate, I've a pile of finds to log if I ever get around to it. Including 2 Mega events. :yikes: I'm well know by local cachers for not getting around to logging finds, as I prefer to be busy Reviewing caches :huh:

I can tell you that as the person solely responsible for the initial selection of 2 of the UK Reviewers, and involved in the initial selection of the other 3 [geoawareUK, was not suggested by the UK Reviewers]. Not one of them had ever asked to become a reviewer, and were extremely surprised even speechless when asked :) . As I asked 2 of them over the phone, I could hear their chins hit the floor B)

Best advice become involved in your local communities, there is the UK & Ireland section on here or there are the 2 Scottish local forums

Geofrees

Geox

Or the GAGB which is the local UK geocaching association

Get a reputation for placing and maintaining good caches, Be a well rounded cache setter (including events) and helpful to other community members. Show a ability to work with local Landowners/Managers, and who knows you could possible get that unexpected question in the future.

If you can make it to this years UK Mega, there will be a Reviewer Q&A workshop involving myself and possible some of my UK/Ireland colleagues. You'll be able to get a idea of what is involved in being a Reviewer then.

Deci

Can I please be a reviewer? I have a Blue Bow and blonde hair, it's an irresistible combination!

And boy, would I do a better job then Heartland Cacher. I mean, he calls me Rocky every time he sees me, his mind is CLEARLY going. Plus, he wouldn't let me place a night nano cache on the railroad tracks.

Yeah, well our reviewer is a doorknob, so try to top that!!

Now that was a fun thread!!!

Now that was a fun thread!!!

Yeah, it was!! Seen Surfer Joe's profile page recently?

Alba15--geoki--Carol

Antheia is currently in the closet, but will be out at the UK Mega in Perth Scotland.

geoawareUK is in the closet, but will be out at the UK Mega in Perth Scotland. As I believe there is a possibility of a Earthcache workshop.

Is that list of ALL of the UK reviewers? I always thought there were a lot more, especialy since the listings I have submitted get reviewed so quick!

Alba15--geoki--Carol

Is that list of ALL of the UK reviewers? I always thought there were a lot more, especialy since the listings I have submitted get reviewed so quick!

Very personal, including first names! Aren't there any "secret identity" reviewers over there? ;)

Alba15--geoki--Carol

Very personal, including first names! Aren't there any "secret identity" reviewers over there? ;)

The one that I'm mostly curious about is this: Graculus--The Blorenges--Chris Would that be our beloved Mrs Blorenge?
Heartland Cacher. I mean, he calls me Rocky every time he sees me, his mind is CLEARLY going.

He's a reviewer. If he had a whole mind when he started (unlikely, really, see TAR's post above; the smart guys say "no"), the job is going to drain it out of him.

Look at Surfer Joe, he started out as a surfer. Now he's a doorknob.

Only the dogs can handle it over time.

Dogs make the best reviewers.

Alba15--geoki--Carol

The one that I'm mostly curious about is this: Graculus--The Blorenges--Chris Would that be our beloved Mrs Blorenge?

Nope ,, That would be Mrs Blorenges significant other, a great guy with a wonderful sense of humour, who I enjoyed meeting last year

Edited by Smurf

Alba15--geoki--Carol

Very personal, including first names! Aren't there any "secret identity" reviewers over there? :lol:

I see someone has beaten me to it. It's Mrs B's O/H, she had more sense and said not to becoming a Reviewer ;) .

my local reviewer has found 3 and hidden one

Poor guy. Obviously he has no time to go geocaching anymore since his reviewer tasks take up all his time. That's why I warned you to be careful with your wishes! :lol:

He is a She :D we're very enlightened here in the UK :huh: . Don't tell her I said so :lol: , but at over 6ft/1.8m tall. She frightens the local cachers into behaving just ask any of them :)

We strive to turn around cache in less than 24 hours :lol: , sometimes that does not always happen :lol: . But we try our best to achieve that. The early UK Approvers-Reviewers, set a high standard for us to follow

[Originally Reviewers were called Approvers, just in case anyone is not aware of that fact]

Please get involved in your local community, it's very rewarding. And a great way to network over those difficult caches you can come across. And provides many friends. And if your at the Mega, please introduce yourself. Alternatively if you can make it, I'll be attending the Gathering In the Glens event, which is 2 weeks after the Mega. I'll be the bald headed bloke B) wearing the Cilt :lol: [any yes that is spelt right, I'm a Englishman living in Wales :yikes: ]

Deci

I move that all doorknobs be decorated with Blue Bows, in order to make them better reviewers.

:P

By the way, how's your campaign to create some vacancies coming along? I seem to recall you have a, erm, contractor somewhere in the Las Vegas vicinity :)

I am expecting a report back shortly...

... must stop moose and squirrel!

- Put out quality Hides

- Host an Event

- Host a CITO Event

Here ya go.. not much more to say!!!!

The list is

Alba15--geoki--Carol

Deci

People always refer to the Texas reviewer as "Prime" (short for Prime Reviewer) so I assumed all the real cacher names of the reviewers were a secret. Was always curious who Prime Reviewer's cacher name was and where he/she was located. Does that vary, do some have secret identities? :)

Only the dogs can handle it over time.

Dogs make the best reviewers.

Exactly.

I'm curious - isn't it rather difficult using a standard keyboard without fingers? Is there bark recognition system for easier input?

Not at all. If you look at the upper-right of a standard PC-style keyboard, you will see the paws key:

Key_break.jpg

(running and ducking!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Edited by knowschad

You forget something...

As a reviewer you have to give a few things up. I used to love the FTF chase. I did not do it often, but I loved trying to hurry to those and grab them.

I have hurried to them to put a personal unactivated coin now, then publishing it, but it is not the same.

If you miss reviewing in your area.. you get emails wondering what happened.

If you only have time for 4-5 caches.. people wonder about theirs.

People complain about other cachers, nanos, hard caches, puzzles, thieves, their neighbors, police, and the government, oh and not to forget saturation, commercial, challenge caches, bonus caches, ones near dumpsters, coin burglers, trackable hotel raiders, caches too close, ones that they can't find, the horrible job you are doing, wondering if you drove out to check their cache before you listed it and if it is in good shape, and anything that they want to under the sun.

I think that about does it.

You forget something...

As a reviewer you have to give a few things up. I used to love the FTF chase. I did not do it often, but I loved trying to hurry to those and grab them.

I have hurried to them to put a personal unactivated coin now, then publishing it, but it is not the same.

If you miss reviewing in your area.. you get emails wondering what happened.

If you only have time for 4-5 caches.. people wonder about theirs.

People complain about other cachers, nanos, hard caches, puzzles, thieves, their neighbors, police, and the government, oh and not to forget saturation, commercial, challenge caches, bonus caches, ones near dumpsters, coin burglers, trackable hotel raiders, caches too close, ones that they can't find, the horrible job you are doing, wondering if you drove out to check their cache before you listed it and if it is in good shape, and anything that they want to under the sun.

I think that about does it.

What are you talking about? You've only found one cache!!! :):P