Warning message about my caches from Groundspeak

i'm on a tight budget. will everybody please send me supplies so i can put out caches? i need gas money, too.

come to think of it, i'm running low on batteries and groceries aren't cheap, either.

no, no, no! don't use your money to place and maintain YOUR caches; subsidize me! i'm special.

I know as a newbie I'm kind of treading in dangerous waters here.

But what's SO BAD about a cache being archived. Especially if they're too "expensive" to maintain for you at the moment? Doesn't that just open an opportunity for a NEW cache to be placed in the area and maybe someone new to the hobby to have a chance to contribute too?

And when your situation improves, what stops you from making new caches or un-archiving the old ones?

A toast to my new favourite n00b!

:grin:

HereHere!!cheers.gif

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

solicit: >to try to obtain by usually urgent requests or pleas <solicited donations>

>to make petition to : entreat b : to approach with a request or plea <solicited Congress for

funding>

If you would like to read for yourself, here is the link:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/soliciting

You are in violation of the "Terms of Use" portion of the Geocache.com Agreement, and in accordance with that agreement, you MUST remove the solicitations from your cache pages and from their accompanying caches, or you MUST archive your caches and pull the cache containers.

This situation has nothing to do with other geocachers. YOU made an agreement with Geocache.com, and just because your personal situation has changed in a negative way, doesn't give you the right to pick and choose which parts of the agreement you will follow and which ones you will not.

Edited by rocketsteve

I think the point has been made.. several times here now.

No, because asking for assistance should not be, and I feel is not against the rules.
If you stand on a street corner holding up a "Will work for food" sign, is that not solicitation? :grin: How is that any different from what you have added to your cache pages? For that matter, food is a much higher need than cache maintenance!

A further investigation of the Maryland forum reveals that you haven't asked for cache adoption, you've asked people to donate cache containers. You've also demonstrated an alarming sense of entitlement, and drawn ridicule for inappropriate content in your signature line.

Now I'm really confused... I just checked the same Maryland forum, and it looks as if the OP offered to adopt someone else's cache on January 3.

If n3prz feels the need to ask for help in supporting his own caches, why is he offering to adopt someone else's at the same time?

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

But what's SO BAD about a cache being archived. Especially if they're too "expensive" to maintain for you at the moment? Doesn't that just open an opportunity for a NEW cache to be placed in the area and maybe someone new to the hobby to have a chance to contribute too?

And when your situation improves, what stops you from making new caches or un-archiving the old ones?

A toast to my new favourite n00b!

:D

HereHere!!cheers.gif

:grin: I may just have to print that out! :D

Try $6 per container...it is also a matter of needing "quality" containers because I'm having to maintain them every month, because newer cachers are not closing the containers. Maintenance was running $25 or more per month. I just wanted to reduce that cost.

$25 a month for 22 caches? I have over 200 active caches and I doubt maintenance costs me much over $25 a year.

No, because asking for assistance should not be, and I feel is not against the rules.

You are free to ask. Go ahead. Put up a web page with a Paypal button. Go to an event and ask for donations. Stand in the parking lot where your cache is hidden with a cup. You are free to ask, anywhere but on your cache page (or the forums).

Edited by briansnat

As a general statement, if you cannot afford to maintain and place caches - just don't. I find your solicitation to be tacky at best and downright distateful in practice.

and responses like this is exactly why I and many of my former geocache friends aren't happy of what geocaching has become and left the hobby.

After reading the responses in this thread, and that of the MARYLAND group, I guess since I'm poor I don't belong in geocaching anymore...perhaps it's just for the rich folks these days. Perhaps there should be an income requirement when you sign up here.

What exactly do you need the money for? The caches are already out there. I'm guessing that most are ammo boxes. You shouldn't need to be replacing those on any regular basis? A logbook? Come on... you can't afford to replace a log book every year or two? Maintaining caches is not typically an expensive proposition. You are not required to replenish dwindling swag. So, what's the money for, anyway? I'm very confused.

By the way, I did look at some of your caches (I see that flask has found at least one of them) and you do seem to have some pretty cool locations!

Finally, I understand what it's like to be unemployeed and it's certainly no fun at all. I'm sure that you'd prefer to be gainfully employeed so that you don't have to ask for assistance at all.

<OT>

Being unemployed IS fun. It's the being broke part that sucks

</OT>

I'm actually enjoying the Friday furloughs. Though it makes me not want to go back to work on Mondays. :X Fortunately I got a good raise last year, which helps. And I've put out 24 Grumpy Dolphin caches on my Grumpy Dolphin days...

[Try $6 per container...it is also a matter of needing "quality" containers because I'm having to maintain them every month, because newer cachers are not closing the containers. Maintenance was running $25 or more per month. I just wanted to reduce that cost.
Hold on... I'm missing something. Because newer cachers are not closing the containers, you need to replace the containers? On a montly basis?

Look, I'm not exactly new at this either, with 5 years and over 100 hides under my belt. We have newer cachers around here, as well. I'm not spending any $25/month, or probably even per year on cache maintenance.

[Try $6 per container...it is also a matter of needing "quality" containers because I'm having to maintain them every month, because newer cachers are not closing the containers. Maintenance was running $25 or more per month. I just wanted to reduce that cost.
Hold on... I'm missing something. Because newer cachers are not closing the containers, you need to replace the containers? On a montly basis?

Look, I'm not exactly new at this either, with 5 years and over 100 hides under my belt. We have newer cachers around here, as well. I'm not spending any $25/month, or probably even per year on cache maintenance.

The only way I can see a need to replace a cache container on a monthly basis would be if the container was a cardbord box that was getting wet regularly, and even if that were true, where would "n3prz" go to spend $25 a month on cardboard boxes.

Something smells fishy. <_<

Edited by rocketsteve

The only way I can see a need to replace a cache container on a monthly basis would be if the container was a cardbord box that was getting wet regularly, and even if that were true, where would "n3prz" go to spend $25 a month on cardboard boxes.

Something smells fishy to me. <_<

Yeah, read the logs on the caches he's already archived. This guy has an enormous sense of entitlement and feels that other cachers "owe" him for his caches.

I especially find that interesting if you think that is solicitation when there is a whole series of travel bugs (the diabetes ones) solicit (which I supported)

That's a grey area, and it ultimately is Groundspeak's call as to what constitutes 'solicitation'

It's not really a grey area. Bugs and Coins do not have the same rules at Caches.

After reading the responses in this thread, and that of the MARYLAND group, I guess since I'm poor I don't belong in geocaching anymore...perhaps it's just for the rich folks these days. Perhaps there should be an income requirement when you sign up here.

Give me a break!

Are you playing the "Poor" card? Sorry, but that kind of statement just rubs me raw, and I almost never say what I think in these forums! I have sympathy for people that have come on hard times, and have been there a couple of times myself, but I have never resorted to begging, and nobody is forcing you to hide caches, or even hunt them if you can't afford to. Stop trying to play a guilt trip on people! Your having caches is your responsibility, no-one else's. Geocaching isn't for "rich folks", but if you can't maintain a cache, you shouldn't hide it, or keep it.

Just comply with the reviewers request or let them be archived and move on. It certainly won't cost you anything then will it?

Something smells fishy to me. <_<

Yeah, read the logs on the caches he's already archived. This guy has an enormous sense of entitlement and feels that other cachers "owe" him for his caches.

Yes, but he has 22 hides and no micros. They may be worth hunting and saving.....

I am SO glad I don't live in the OP's area. Those cachers up there must be TERRIBLE! (tongue VERY firmly planted in cheek)

Down here, helping maintain each others' caches are just a matter of course. We've got caches that are doing fine YEARS after the CO's have left the area or even the game.

When I was laid up for an extended period I had local cachers helping with maintaining not only my caches, but my yard, my house, and ME!

It's been my experience that cachers are a great group of people and will help each other at the drop of a hat. I find it difficult to believe that only 1 cacher in the OP's home area was willing to adopt, or even help do basic maintenance, on any caches owned by a cacher in a difficult situation.

It seems, as indicated by others' research and posts, the problem is not with the area cachers, but lies elsewhere.

And to get back to the original topic....

Yes, it's solicitation and in violation of the TOU and guidelines. If you want to play in Groundspeak's sandbox, you play by their rules.

The point of this discussion is whether or not I'm soliciting. While a BOOK DEFINITION may qualify it, the geocaching rules is:

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

I'm seeking no religious, political, social agenda or charitable contribution other than that to support the hobby.

ALSO...the email stated I violated the TOU...not the guidelines.

Those are just some examples...asking for money is not soliciting?? What else could you possibly call it??

What's so bad?? I won't be getting all these emails, and I'll no longer be the center of attention.

OK, Nothing really bad at all, I was being sarcastic.

This whole thread is kind of silly. You can't afford to maintian your cache? Realy? How much does a lock-n-lock cost down in your area? $1.50?

Try $6 per container...it is also a matter of needing "quality" containers because I'm having to maintain them every month, because newer cachers are not closing the containers. Maintenance was running $25 or more per month. I just wanted to reduce that cost.

Maybe you should shop around for a better price. Try Walmart (that is 6 for $10.50 or $1.75 each (my guess was quite close)). If by "maintaining them every month" you mean replacing them, you need to re-think your approach. A cache should not need to be repaired or replaced every month.

I see you have 22 chaches. So for $25 you could be replacing 12 (over 50% of your caches) every month. This seems a little over kill. As for quality, as a self diclaired poor person, you can't be too choosy. RubberMaid Lock-n-locks are realy not that bad. I use them sometimes, and I have not declaired myself poor.

You could also try adding the solicitation to your stash note rather than on the cache page. That would not be against the guidlines.

I agree, if your Caches need that much maintenence, you're making some mistakes in the placements. Maybe that's why the locals are not interested in helping keep them alive. I wouldn't help maintain a Cache that I thought was of poor quality either.

i'm on a tight budget. will everybody please send me supplies so i can put out caches? i need gas money, too.

come to think of it, i'm running low on batteries and groceries aren't cheap, either.

no, no, no! don't use your money to place and maintain YOUR caches; subsidize me! i'm special.

Send me your address, Cool swag and Coin Prizes will be on the way!! Then all you need are some used tennis ball cand from the garbage at the local courts.

When I was laid up for an extended period I had local cachers helping with maintaining not only my caches, but my yard, my house, and ME!

And I bet none of those solicitations for a helping hand (or organizing the helpers) was done on a cache page. <_<

I've always seen cachers more than willing to pitch in and lend a hand when it's needed. It's just that geocaching.com has decided they don't want such offers to appear on cache pages.

As others have pointed out, your local forum is probably the best way to go if you need a hand maintaining some things, but I also have to say that the circumstances sound a little weird.

What I don't do is throw out things knowing right from the beginning that I cannot take care of them and then I expect and beg others to do it for me. Too much of that kind of thinking already goes on in society. That doesn't seem like a terribly caring or kind thing to do.

I CAN'T SEEM TO GET YOU GUYS TO UNDERSTAND. I MAINTAINED THEM FINE, FOR YEARS! I ONLY REQUESTED HELP RECENTLY.

I am looking at the Maryland forums right now, and I see lots of requests for cache adoption, all of which seem to have received enthusiastic offers of help from other Maryland cachers. I don't see any requests by you.

I have not sought adoption BECAUSE I was trying to get containers first.....give it some time....as I said, but apparently you did not read....it will be a last resort.

Also keep in mind that not too long ago that forum crashed, failed, or updated and all my previous posts were lost!

I'll make you a deal, Jason.

Set up a Montgomery County meet-and-greet event and I'll come and give you a tenner.

Nobody ever hosts events down here. They're always in Westminster, Hagerstown and so forth. I've thought about doing it myself, but I'd rather attend than host. I've seen your sig in several caches, and I'm eager to meet you and all the other people behind the logs-- _JohnnyCache, in particular.

I bet...I've been very critical of your caches....especially the one that was placed that got me hassled by the police...LOL. I guess you'll be at the leaders meet and greet...I can't meet up with you there. I'm actually (as of this exact moment) OK for containers, or folks that are willing to help me out.

A further investigation of the Maryland forum reveals that you haven't asked for cache adoption, you've asked people to donate cache containers. You've also demonstrated an alarming sense of entitlement, and drawn ridicule for inappropriate content in your signature line.

No entitlement...in fact...if you really read the threads...I specifically said I didn't feel like I was entitled, just disappointed. The criticism of the signature was dumb and not warranted. Some people are just too up tight about jokes and hummer. Some just got uptight about my use of the words 'dadgum' and 'hell'.

I call bull.

157 finds and 13 active caches would hardly classify you as being more qualified than most. You DO appear to need a lecture on how to maintain caches if you are spending that much time and money maintaining caches.

I don't care if you started caching in 2002 or just yesterday, you seem to have a lot to learn.

$25 per month to maintain 13 active caches? What are you maintainint them with, gold leaf?

This hobby isn't a "pay to play" activity whether or not you want to make it one.

So you are one of those....OK...that's fine.

BTW:

Container: $2-$6

*Log Book: $1 (most often needing replacing)

*Zip Lock bag: $3 per box usually about 20 per box, quality dbl zips used

*pencils, pens $1 ea. (cheap ones don't work, so decent quality used)

Swag/trinkets $2-$5 depending on cache size (because I believe I don't do micro or nano caches...not a big fan, but that's me).

$25 wasn't each month, just what the peak was for a month or so. I recently got a tip about knock-off LockNlocks at BigLots for $2 ea. Got two and some log books. That is all I can afford at the moment. I can take care of the most critical caches with that....hoping there is some swag and zip locks left to fill the caches.

* these items I often replenish other caches when they run low or have problems....because I BELIEVE IN HELPING OTHER CACHERS!!!!!! Not slamming or belittling them...well unless they come at me directly like Narcissa did in a (now deleted) log post in one of my caches just a little bit ago.

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

solicit: >to try to obtain by usually urgent requests or pleas <solicited donations>

>to make petition to : entreat b : to approach with a request or plea <solicited Congress for

funding>

If you would like to read for yourself, here is the link:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/soliciting

You are in violation of the "Terms of Use" portion of the Geocache.com Agreement, and in accordance with that agreement, you MUST remove the solicitations from your cache pages and from their accompanying caches, or you MUST archive your caches and pull the cache containers.

This situation has nothing to do with other geocachers. YOU made an agreement with Geocache.com, and just because your personal situation has changed in a negative way, doesn't give you the right to pick and choose which parts of the agreement you will follow and which ones you will not.

I read the Merriam definition, Thank you. I'm still getting at the point of the fact it is a request for assistance within the game...not some outside source.....that was what the discussion is...if I wanted to debate the exact definition...I would have title this thread: WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF SOLICITATION.

Also....you are NOT and have NO authority to tell me what to do...only Groundspeak has that authority....they only basically asked me to remove the text, not to archive the cache....you obvriously don't know what the hell you are talking about or doing.

Now I'm really confused... I just checked the same Maryland forum, and it looks as if the OP offered to adopt someone else's cache on January 3.

If n3prz feels the need to ask for help in supporting his own caches, why is he offering to adopt someone else's at the same time?

--Larry

Because cache preservation is the key! No one stepped forward to adopt that cache (as I said is typical of this area). It won't cost me anything to adopt, and the cache would have been lost. At least I can prevent what may still be inevitable. However, why deprive cachers of a cache simply because no one else isn't willing to help.

Well good for you....do want a cookie!

I haven't been able to do that. Stuff cost money, but the money isn't what I care about...what I care about is maintaining the caches. The new containers are required for two reasons....mostly because when a cacher doesn't close the container right, the stuff inside gets moldy. Some folks insist on leaving items that rust in days, with just a tiny bit of atmospheric moisture (like those stupid button/pins), the rust doesn't come off and contaminates the container from further use. Secondly, I need BETTER containers that aren't as easily to leave open. The lockNlock are someone good (although even a 3000+cache finder likes to turn the lid upside down, which lets moisture in...LOL). I was going to get some Ammo cans, but every time I asked I either got no response or folks couldn't follow through. Even when I was working and willing to pay for them. Now they are just too expensive and apparently not allowed in our parks locally anymore anyway.

I'm missing something here - containers can be fixed or dried out, if the solicitations are for replacing containers, than the original containers are either missing or damaged beyond recognition.

Now the way I see it is if someone has left money, that money will have disappeared with the old cache container.

The only way that money would reach the CO is if he visits each cache on a regular schedule..

By the way, I did look at some of your caches (I see that flask has found at least one of them) and you do seem to have some pretty cool locations!

THANK YOU. I put time and effort to look into the cache location.

and here is a quote for you're signature lines:

I'm not a cache whore! I like to offer something different, interesting or some sort of special aspect to my caches. Enchanted Glen is an old cache and seems to be a favorite amount a good majority of those who visit it. It is a challenge, has great history to the site, and is finally being saved. You would be hard pressed to find an equally good cache site in that part of the county.

I admit that not all my caches are great, but when I return to decent income, I have 10 locations that will receive caches and also be among the best in the county or near to Monkey...aaahhh..Montgomery County, MD.

I also find it so interesting that I was always more than willing to help someone with their caches when help was needed...but not that I need help....(trashy language deleted by moderator).

Well, congratulations on the ultimate anti-geocaching.com trifecta.

Terms of Use violation, Geocaching Guidelines violation and now a Forum Guidelines violation on top of it all!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

2. Foul language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family-friendly. All forum posts must conform to a family-friendly standard and contributors must act accordingly.

I've edited your post. You probably need to take a break from the forums. You seem to have a lot of reading to do.

I'm a bit like tempestteacup and am new to the game, but I do remember reading somewhere that money, as well as perishable found items should probably not be left in caches.

I'm a student too, and know what it is like to be strapped for cash.

I know you don't like nano's but seriously if you want to place caches then they are the way to go for cheap. My 30 caches that I have ready made to hide (or give to friends to hide) cost me $3. Thats right, 30 caches for $3.

How? No one uses 35mm film containers any more (well not everyone) and the pharmacy's and photographer's here just give them away because they are taking up space. I print out nano logbook writeup's from the website, and cut them up into strips with blank paper to make logbooks and staple them. Then I put them in tiny snaplock bags, with desicants that I have asked stores for, they just throw them out. The snaplock bags are the most expensive thing. You don't have to put pencil's in if you don't want to, and so no pencil sharpener either. You just state in your listing for the finder to bring a pen, a lot of cacher's probably carry one.

A logbook might cost you $1, but if you get the card covered notebooks you can cut them in three, three tiny logbooks.

If you put things in snaplock bags then the quality of your container (though you want a watertight one!) isn't quite as important.

I hope times get better for you, and maybe if you think outside the box it might be a bit cheaper too. And sometimes slightly odd caches are worth the trip or the difficulty of the find if its not in the greatest location.

Most of all, have fun.

Awwww... I was gonna post the public warning about respect for opposing opinions, and refraining from personal attacks.

mtn-man ruins *everything*....

:::: picks up toys and goes home ::::

I must say I have always appreciated how you let people know they are walking on thin ice instead of smashing the ice around them.

fixing quotes...revising now.

Getting hard to keep up with this all, but here it goes:

Give me a break!

Are you playing the "Poor" card? Sorry, but that kind of statement just rubs me raw, and I almost never say what I think in these forums! I have sympathy for people that have come on hard times, and have been there a couple of times myself, but I have never resorted to begging, and nobody is forcing you to hide caches, or even hunt them if you can't afford to. Stop trying to play a guilt trip on people! Your having caches is your responsibility, no-one else's. Geocaching isn't for "rich folks", but if you can't maintain a cache, you shouldn't hide it, or keep it.

Just comply with the reviewers request or let them be archived and move on. It certainly won't cost you anything then will it?

AGAIN...why is it that I have to archive a cache when some of them don't need maintenance at all. The request from Groundspeak is to delete the text, not archive the cache. I've archived what I thought needed archiving....you folks keep criticizing something you are not even checking!

BTW...not playing any cards. Folks questioned why I was asking and accused me of trying to get someone else to do my work for me...which is NOT the case. I explained why I was asking for assistance. I see now it is more of a thread of people jumping on the bandwagon without reading all the posts (or event the first). Just gang-(self sensored) the poor guy.

Bit of a pattern there.

What pattern is that?

I am SO glad I don't live in the OP's area. Those cachers up there must be TERRIBLE! (tongue VERY firmly planted in cheek)

Down here, helping maintain each others' caches are just a matter of course. We've got caches that are doing fine YEARS after the CO's have left the area or even the game.

It's been my experience that cachers are a great group of people and will help each other at the drop of a hat. I find it difficult to believe that only 1 cacher in the OP's home area was willing to adopt, or even help do basic maintenance, on any caches owned by a cacher in a difficult situation.

It seems, as indicated by others' research and posts, the problem is not with the area cachers, but lies elsewhere.

And to get back to the original topic....

Yes, it's solicitation and in violation of the TOU and guidelines. If you want to play in Groundspeak's sandbox, you play by their rules.

I have not problem following rules, but clarification and discussion should be allowed.

The point of this discussion is whether or not I'm soliciting. While a BOOK DEFINITION may qualify it, the geocaching rules is:

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

I'm seeking no religious, political, social agenda or charitable contribution other than that to support the hobby.

ALSO...the email stated I violated the TOU...not the guidelines.

Those are just some examples...asking for money is not soliciting?? What else could you possibly call it??

This whole thread is kind of silly. You can't afford to maintian your cache? Realy? How much does a lock-n-lock cost down in your area? $1.50?

Maybe you should shop around for a better price. Try Walmart (that is 6 for $10.50 or $1.75 each (my guess was quite close)). If by "maintaining them every month" you mean replacing them, you need to re-think your approach. A cache should not need to be repaired or replaced every month.

I see you have 22 chaches. So for $25 you could be replacing 12 (over 50% of your caches) every month. This seems a little over kill. As for quality, as a self diclaired poor person, you can't be too choosy. RubberMaid Lock-n-locks are realy not that bad. I use them sometimes, and I have not declaired myself poor.

You could also try adding the solicitation to your stash note rather than on the cache page. That would not be against the guidlines.

I agree, if your Caches need that much maintenence, you're making some mistakes in the placements. Maybe that's why the locals are not interested in helping keep them alive. I wouldn't help maintain a Cache that I thought was of poor quality either.

Send me your address, Cool swag and Coin Prizes will be on the way!! Then all you need are some used tennis ball cand from the garbage at the local courts.

And I bet none of those solicitations for a helping hand (or organizing the helpers) was done on a cache page. :P

I've always seen cachers more than willing to pitch in and lend a hand when it's needed. It's just that geocaching.com has decided they don't want such offers to appear on cache pages.

As others have pointed out, your local forum is probably the best way to go if you need a hand maintaining some things, but I also have to say that the circumstances sound a little weird.

I'm missing something here - containers can be fixed or dried out, if the solicitations are for replacing containers, than the original containers are either missing or damaged beyond recognition.

Now the way I see it is if someone has left money, that money will have disappeared with the old cache container.

The only way that money would reach the CO is if he visits each cache on a regular schedule..

Yes, yes I do. Thats because I try to keep them in good shape. I also like to grab the log books so that I can read them before they disappear. Even though almost no one writes in them any more, once in a while I get some interesting reads....well worth it in between the many "TFTC" endless, pointless log post (in my opinion).

I also find it so interesting that I was always more than willing to help someone with their caches when help was needed...but not that I need help....(trashy language deleted by moderator).

Well, congratulations on the ultimate anti-geocaching.com trifecta.

Terms of Use violation, Geocaching Guidelines violation and now a Forum Guidelines violation on top of it all!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

2. Foul language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family-friendly. All forum posts must conform to a family-friendly standard and contributors must act accordingly.

I've edited your post. You probably need to take a break from the forums. You seem to have a lot of reading to do.

Nope...I got all night...and I can't believe they edited bad words that are used in Cache Titles...that's a joke!! I've never used and FCC banned words or anything of that nature!

You probably need to take a break from the forums. You seem to have a lot of reading to do.
Awwwwww.......! You're no fun!!

<_<

Two pages later, it doesn't seem that he is good at taking advice, so I don't think you should be too worried.

Actually I was in the process of revising (or deleting) the message from my cache pages...although the site is down quite a lot today, or at least on and off a bit the last three hours. I only revised two caches.

Edited by n3prz

What I don't do is throw out things knowing right from the beginning that I cannot take care of them and then I expect and beg others to do it for me. Too much of that kind of thinking already goes on in society. That doesn't seem like a terribly caring or kind thing to do.

I CAN'T SEEM TO GET YOU GUYS TO UNDERSTAND. I MAINTAINED THEM FINE, FOR YEARS! I ONLY REQUESTED HELP RECENTLY.

No - I understood that from the beginning.

If you are replacing an old container with a new one out in the field though (a solicited container no less) - you ARE doing what I described.

I don't get it. He's asking for a little help in maintaining his geocaches and he's threatened with archival of his caches. On the other hand, if you can't maintain your caches then they need to be archived and picked up.

I must be missing something.

What you are missing is that I asked for help to prevent the archiving from happening. Use to happen all the time for some. I helped others out when they asked. Just can't believe that when I ask, I get such ridicule.

In recent times YES, it has been that bad. I'm happy that your caches have fared better than mine. But I will say I did start with cheaper containers at first...hence the need for replacement. I used examples of what was being used, but now I find that those caches didn't last either. A good quality container is REQUIRED for low maintenance.

I was thinking the same thing. From experience I've archived caches (on our team account) that got good online logs and were in very nice locations. I asked in the forums what folks thought about archiving because I wanted to open up the location to a new hide. Some told me not to do it because it was an old cache, some said that there was no guarantee anyone else would hide in that spot and that they might not plant as good a cache. Well, I left it and waited another year. Then I just got tired of maintaining it so I archived it. About a week later a new hide appeared - a bigger better container, in a better location on the scenic covered bridge - one I had not noticed before. So the new owner got a chance to plant at a touristy scenic spot (guaranteed to get good online logs) and I got a new cache to seek.

Recently I archived a nice little series on a lovely 4km loop trail. Again I got plenty of great online logs about the series. But after 4 years I got tired of maintaining (so I disabled the caches leaving a note that they soon would be archived, retrieved the caches, and then archived them). Within a month new caches were posted. Bigger better caches then mine (mine were small lock n locks, these new caches are ammo cans) highlighting different sections of the trail.

Archiving is not a bad thing. In a lot of ways it is the nice thing to do i.e. open up the joy of hiding caches to other cachers, especially in nice locations and especially in areas that are cache saturated.

I don't get it. He's asking for a little help in maintaining his geocaches and he's threatened with archival of his caches. On the other hand, if you can't maintain your caches then they need to be archived and picked up.

I must be missing something.

Yes, you are missing where he asked for money on his cache pages.

Something smells fishy.

If you smell something fishy, (trash removed from post). Don't be accusing me of anything like that. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE MONEY....JUST MAINTAINING THE CACHES!!!! Be careful what you say...some states are pretty strict about that!

Edited by mtn-man