What are appropriate trade items to use?

journey4truth

I'd like to get a general idea of what cachers might like so I can go through my stuff and see what I could take with me to trade. :D

Find a few caches, and you’ll get an idea of what people put in. But here are some ideas:

Intact, clean objects, most anything. Something you once collected, but have too many extras laying around. And handmade craft items appeal to many cachers. I often bring a couple of things that have a value of about a dollar (some which may be very valuable to certain finders who collect certain things), along with my inexpensive signature items. I have yet to see diamond jewelry in a cache container. But I haven't been to all of them yet. :rolleyes:

Edited by kunarion

I like to pick up pins, signature items like a poker chip or wooden nickel with the cachers name on it, keychains, carabiners, that sort of thing. For kids, I like to leave seashells, matchbox cars, wacky sunglasses. For adults I leave keychains, bracelets, fishing bobbers. Sometimes I leave coins.

I like to pick up pins, signature items like a poker chip or wooden nickel with the cachers name on it, keychains, carabiners, that sort of thing. For kids, I like to leave seashells, matchbox cars, wacky sunglasses. For adults I leave keychains, bracelets, fishing bobbers. Sometimes I leave coins.

I hope those coins are Double Eagles!!!! :rolleyes:

Be careful with batteries - useful as they are, when they get wet, they get rusty and crusty and dangerous. I have removed rusty batteries from soggy caches.

So - if you do put batteries, put them in a ziplock bag inside another ziplock bag.

I personally like to take McDonalds Happy meals toys. I've picked up a whistling frisbee, plush dolphin, a pull-cord flying machine, and many more.

I pick up stuff from the dollar section at Target or the dollar/99 cent store. You can usually find some pretty cool and creative stuff to leave.

Remember as I read on here once. Do a 1 for 1 trade. Trading 5 crappy things for one cool thing is not an even trade. You are just polluting the cache.

I bought a bunch of air activated hand and foot warmers on clearance last year and have been putting them in now that the weather is getting colder. I have a bag of VERY cheap little toys, brand new, that I carry with me for emergencies. I have found numerous caches that have nothing but trash in them, and although it isn't great swag, it is stuff that my kids would be happy to find. Bouncy balls, happy meal toys, toy cars, even fun pads are cheap but fun for kids. Some of the cool and inexpensive swag I have found recently: hand-tied fishing fly, small Christmas ornaments, Pins from places we have been, and signature swag is always cool.

Always, if possible, put each swag/trade item in at least one ziplock baggy to keep the cache clean and protect things if there is a leak.

We're newbies too, so please forgive me if this isn't considered appropriate, but I would like to refer you to another ongoing thread called "Lame SWAG." It is very eye opening, and will certainly give you an idea of what not to use for SWAG (as well as more ideas of good choices.)

Also, as we are a couple without children, and I am on a personal mission (as you will see in my posts) to get cachers to leave items that would also be appreciate for adults. I left a rather comprehensive list of cool, useful items we found in a $.99 store that would be great for both. So far, I think the general concensus is that this is a hopeless cause, but I'm not giving up! :) Granted, we only started a few weeks ago, but we would really love to find just one cache that actually had something worth trading in it. :)

Edited by Desert_Trailblazers

Ebay is a great place to pick up some really cool items for swag. Recently we bought 10 black haematite tusk shaped keyrings and phone charms (5 of each) which we are currently placing in caches on our holiday to Canada. They look and feel good quality and cost about £2.50 including postage. They are quite unusual and make great swag.

Suitable for both adults and children.

What I love to find are unique items. Something that didn't come from the dollar store or from a happy meal box. I leave music CD's, cartoon DVD's, whistles, puzzle books, unopened decks of cards, and funny keychains. I like finding items that just make me smile, and the key to that is being unique. Leave the happy meal toys and junky plastic swag at home. I think the best trade item I ever found was a brass bell...it was so pretty...I only kept it a few weeks and then left it in another cache for someone else to find. Swag should bring joy, not boredom. :)

Last trip to the dollar store was about a month ago...we bought some colored plastic bead necklaces, plastic skulls and a few plastic kazoos. cheesy? sure...but when you KNOW someone's gonna bring kids by, why not? We don't hunt the 5/5's...we're doing the easy stuff. Oh, and the dollar store carries little LED flashlights...I'm thinking that's next, because hubby's used the one I bought as a test unit, and he LOVES it...he even claimed it as "his". Can we say, "really useful for night caches"? :)

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's boring.

Started hunting for caches yesterday and literally found trash in my very first cache. It was a little discouraging and an embarassing to find it in front of my non-cacher bf who watched me struggling to read my gps. This cache was started in 2007 and there was still an expired coupon from 2007! Why didn't someone just throw it away!? As useful as that could have been back in 2007, what was more disappointing was the bottle cap inside it! I know times are tough, but who does that!? I will attempt to play Santa this year, in hopes of setting an example, but we'll see how long that will last.

there was still an expired coupon from 2007! Why didn't someone just throw it away!? As useful as that could have been back in 2007, what was more disappointing was the bottle cap inside it! I know times are tough, but who does that!? I will attempt to play Santa this year, in hopes of setting an example, but we'll see how long that will last.

If you can take even a little of the trash out (broken things, paper, plastic wrappers, etc.), you're helping greatly. I'd rather find a log only, than matted, filthy trash inside. I bring a paper towel, trashbag and ziplock bags on caching trips, just for this possibility, to clean things up for the next visitor. If the container is mainly used as a trash bin, no swag gets added by me.

Last trip to the dollar store was about a month ago...we bought some colored plastic bead necklaces, plastic skulls and a few plastic kazoos. cheesy? sure...but when you KNOW someone's gonna bring kids by, why not?

Uh.... excuse me, but.... not all cachers have kids.

I don't see anything you quoted that implied all cachers have kids.

The best each of us can do is to leave behind things we like to find, or things we think others like to find.

Found Advil and Emergen-C packets in a cache yesterday.

Should these items be under the "Not Appropriate List"?

I've found more than one cache that had given me a headache while looking for it so I would have loved to have found that one...lol :) I think the emergency-C would have been a good find as well as it would have given me a boost of energy after looking for some of those elusive caches too... :D

Just went to the store today and got a bunch of swag that I think cachers will like. Also bought holiday related items too, including a few snow globes. I may need to wrap these up for protection though depending on how secure the cache is from the elements.

Other swag I bought:

Measuring tape

Small toolkits

Puzzle Games

Ziplock bags

Miniature jewel boxes

Assorted toys

And a few other stuff I forget but can be useful. I stayed away from electrical related items and things that might melt (such as candles) even though I could easily fit them in a cache.

I plan to play Santa and drop off swag regularly at the local caches here for the holidays. I love this time of year. :)

if you're cleaning out your knicknacks and you have nice stuff, by all means leave it in caches.

i'm not wild about dollar store junk in general, but there are f a few items i find handy.

you know those button clips that hold your GPS on your bag? mine are always breaking in some bushwhack and i can't always find replacements.

what i REALLY like to find are people's signature items, and the chunkier the better. nice handmade stuff blasts my booties; cheap cards or labels not so much.

Juat about anything except food, drink, weapons, or explosives is good, if you wouldn't be embarrassed for a kid to find it. Smelly stuff is not good either.

What you might have around: key chains, foreign coins, state quarters in excellent condition, small toys in good condition, trade show or vendor swag, AA batteries, jewelry, refrigerator magnets, tape measure.

Golf balls, new/used...doesn't matter.

Matchbox cars.

Sealed playing cards.

Smiley stickers.

Key fobs.

Hermetically sealed AA batteries.

Obviously, what makes good swag is a matter of opinion. I beg to differ about golf balls. They are not appropriate unless really cool custom ones.

Last trip to the dollar store was about a month ago...we bought some colored plastic bead necklaces, plastic skulls and a few plastic kazoos. cheesy? sure...but when you KNOW someone's gonna bring kids by, why not?

Uh.... excuse me, but.... not all cachers have kids.

I know exactly what you mean and that is the reason that with very very rare exception, The Team no longer trades.

Our experience has and continues to be that if you are not caching with kids, then about 98.5437896% of the stuff found in a geocache container is useless junk. Not trash, junk.

And I can assure you that this is NOT a regional thing.

And in my opinion, before very long, even the kiddies, upon looking inside a cache container are going to be experiencing the feared 'A Christmas Story---Decoder ring' moment on a regular basis.

Edited by Team Cotati

Hi all

Still noobing my way around but wanted to ask for a little clarification, just to be sure.

When you say "trash" and "garbage" do you mean literally or do you mean junky crappy items, which to me could be relative to the finder. Surely people don't actually put garbage in a cache (and get away with it)?

Are all caches typically dollar store items or is it okay for a bit more expensive items?

Thanks!

When you say "trash" and "garbage" do you mean literally or do you mean junky crappy items, which to me could be relative to the finder. Surely people don't actually put garbage in a cache

Both. Sometimes it's just the personal opinion of the finder; sometimes it's something that was ok when it was put in the cache, but now is actual trash, eg coupons that have expired, maps and other paper items that have gotten soggy/moldy over time; sometimes it's really just plain trash, eg a Burger King sandwich wrapper.

(and get away with it)?

What's going to stop them?

Hi all

Still noobing my way around but wanted to ask for a little clarification, just to be sure.

When you say "trash" and "garbage" do you mean literally or do you mean junky crappy items, which to me could be relative to the finder. Surely people don't actually put garbage in a cache (and get away with it)?

Are all caches typically dollar store items or is it okay for a bit more expensive items?

Thanks!

A cache I found last week actually had a wet empty walmart bag in it. I was very disappointed. Maybe everyone could start leaving a kid friendly item and an adult friendly item, or at least swap an equal item...if you take an adult item leave same, etc. instead of leaving a kids toy no matter what you take.

Wow, actual trash. I was under the impression that we log what is in the cache and what we put in, if anything, so assumed this is a way to track who adds 'trash' at all.

Are there designations for cache ratings?

kidcaches that would just be for kids and adult caches that won't have McDonald's toys - it could help?