Some might disagree but this kinda bugged me....

Well my dad and I (and sometimes my mom) have started caching and enjoyed it!! We have alot of fun... So we decided to start placing some caches... we spent alot of time this weekend finding good spots, getting some containers ready, logging them, etc....

Anyways... i guess when the people that get notified of new caches and go find them all very quickly (which is GREAT!!) they go find alot in one day and don't feel like logging them...

When 1 of the group of people that found some caches we placed, it was the same generic log (copy and paste) of the FTF... even the same log on my dad's hides... The other person actually wrote a different sentence on each cache which i enjoyed!

I guess it just kinda irritated me about the other person because when I log my finds, I actually give details about the find (no spoilers of course) because if someone is taking the time to hide the cache and do the work for me to have a good time, i actually put some effort into it...

So when I got the same response on all my caches it kind of bugged me... I would love some sort of feedback so I know if I'm actually doing a decent job... Id like to know was it a quick find, was it a challenge, good camo job, lots of muggles or SOMETHING!! Anything really!

Does this bug anyone else or am i the only one?

Welcome aboard!!

Yes that kind of cut&paste logging bugs me too. Especially if it is done on many of my caches by groups of people all on the same day. Say something unique - please?? Best I can ask.

exactly!!!! its not like i expect a paragraph but at least just something regarding the find other than "TFTC FTF - found with so and so and so and so...."

i understand it might take a bit longer if you have found alot but its all part of the experience - at least i think so!

Enjoy the good logs and try not to dwell on the others. To get all worked up over it will just sour you on the whole hiding experience.

oh no it won't sour me! i love hiding them! i think i honestly like it better than finding them!! well maybe not... but i like it! haha...

not dwelling on it... its obviously just a pet peeve and something i will get over... just had to gripe on here and see if others agree with me! :lol:

The online log serves multiple purposes:

1. It increments your find count
  2. It marks the cache as found by you so you can hide it in future searches
  3. You or someone else can see all the caches 'Found by xxx'
  4. You have a record of your finds (premium members can get a My Finds PQ and use it to generate statistics)
  5. You let the cache owner and others know the cache is still there and when it was last found
  6. You can let the cache owner and others know if there are problems with the cache that might need to be addressed (e.g. log full)
  7. You can thank the cache owner for hiding the cache
  8. You can share your experience with others

Some people stop after 1 or 2 and don't consider the purposes further down the list.

Okay, I'll admit...

When we 1st started caching I/we did leave the lame, 'found it' or 'tftc' online logs. We still don't write a whole 'story', but have definitely improved alot in the descriptions. All thanks to what I've learned in the forum from other cacher's opinions.

Kudos to the forum. :lol:

Enjoy the good logs and try not to dwell on the others. To get all worked up over it will just sour you on the whole hiding experience.

oh no it won't sour me! i love hiding them! i think i honestly like it better than finding them!! well maybe not... but i like it! haha...

not dwelling on it... its obviously just a pet peeve and something i will get over... just had to gripe on here and see if others agree with me! :lol:

Sounds like a good attitude to me. You should do well as a hider.thumbsup.gif

Well my dad and I (and sometimes my mom) have started caching and enjoyed it!! We have alot of fun... So we decided to start placing some caches... we spent alot of time this weekend finding good spots, getting some containers ready, logging them, etc....

Anyways... i guess when the people that get notified of new caches and go find them all very quickly (which is GREAT!!) they go find alot in one day and don't feel like logging them...

When 1 of the group of people that found some caches we placed, it was the same generic log (copy and paste) of the FTF... even the same log on my dad's hides... The other person actually wrote a different sentence on each cache which i enjoyed!

I guess it just kinda irritated me about the other person because when I log my finds, I actually give details about the find (no spoilers of course) because if someone is taking the time to hide the cache and do the work for me to have a good time, i actually put some effort into it...

So when I got the same response on all my caches it kind of bugged me... I would love some sort of feedback so I know if I'm actually doing a decent job... Id like to know was it a quick find, was it a challenge, good camo job, lots of muggles or SOMETHING!! Anything really!

You are definately not the only one who gets worked up over "lame" logs. It's a well discussed topic.

Me? Couldn't care less whather or not a person leaves a "TFTC" log or a diatribe of their daytime activities leading up to the log find. I am merely happy knowing I gave someone something to do.

Some people just don't want to write a long log. Others do. It's not personal, why take it that way?

You are definately not the only one who gets worked up over "lame" logs. It's a well discussed topic.

Me? Couldn't care less whather or not a person leaves a "TFTC" log or a diatribe of their daytime activities leading up to the log find. I am merely happy knowing I gave someone something to do.

Some people just don't want to write a long log. Others do. It's not personal, why take it that way?

Gosh.... I thought this was a forum for us to just talk... I didn't mean to offend or make anyone think I am uptight...

bittsen - i did not take it personal in any way! i am sure this happens ALL OVER and not just to me... haha... that would be silly. I was simply making a statement.

Gosh.... I thought this was a forum for us to just talk... I didn't mean to offend or make anyone think I am uptight...

bittsen - i did not take it personal in any way! i am sure this happens ALL OVER and not just to me... haha... that would be silly. I was simply making a statement.

My comment was basically generic. I only quoted you because it was an answer to the original question and I didn't want it to be confused as a response to the original question. I took your question as generic in nature, hence the generic reply.

Nothing personal or judgmental at all was intended.

Happy caching.

P.S. I likey me some southern girls. :lol:

I don't care if the log is "long", but I at least hope for unique. Copy and Paste logs are annoying especially, as mentioned, the same people hit several of your caches at once and leave the exact log for each cache. I try to make every one of my hides unique in some way, so a unique log isn't too much to ask for.

On the other hand, all it takes is one "good" log to make up for several C&P logs.

I don't care if the log is "long", but I at least hope for unique. Copy and Paste logs are annoying especially, as mentioned, the same people hit several of your caches at once and leave the exact log for each cache. I try to make every one of my hides unique in some way, so a unique log isn't too much to ask for.

On the other hand, all it takes is one "good" log to make up for several C&P logs.

Ditto!! I do get a chuckle though when they cut and paste and never even took the time to check their spelling. :lol:

Oh, dear. I am agreeing the blitzen again. Must needs to rethink this!

My operant theory of life is "Oh, well". I have some caches with spectacular views. If you want to visit them during a thunderstorm, that is your prerogative. If you wish to log "Found with S, E, V, E & N.", that's your prerogative. Oh, well. I enjoy that you have take the time to find my cache!

I am not the most profligate cache logger. If I enjoyed it, I will tell you so. If I didn't, I will also tell you so. (Of course, that tends to get me into trouble. Oh, well.) If you want glowing praise on a cache in a park that I considered to be a very boring park, I'm not your man. (CO requested that I not seek any more of his caches. Oh, well.)

Be happy that people are finding your caches! You'll get used to it. Quickly.

what kind of day do you have to have to make a diatribe of your daytime activities?

surely you might modify your own activities before you needed to write a diatribe on them?

The online log serves multiple purposes:

1. It increments your find count
  2. It marks the cache as found by you so you can hide it in future searches
  3. You or someone else can see all the caches 'Found by xxx'
  4. You have a record of your finds (premium members can get a My Finds PQ and use it to generate statistics)
  5. You let the cache owner and others know the cache is still there and when it was last found
  6. You can let the cache owner and others know if there are problems with the cache that might need to be addressed (e.g. log full)
  7. You can thank the cache owner for hiding the cache
  8. You can share your experience with others

Some people stop after 1 or 2 and don't consider the purposes further down the list.

These are in reverse order of importance in my world.

what kind of day do you have to have to make a diatribe of your daytime activities?

surely you might modify your own activities before you needed to write a diatribe on them?

I seem to remember giving an example in another thread.

:lol:

I'd be a lot happier (and I think so would many others) if we all at least try to set the bar a little higher in our expectations of geocaching......

:lol:

Do you know what diatribe means? Do you have days where you do things that you need to abusively denounce your activities for the day? If so, I think flask was suggesting a behavior modification so that you don't have days where your behavior merits a diatribe from you or anyone else :D

you gave an example of someone needing to write a "forceful and bitter verbal attack" on their day's activities?

surely a person whose daytime activities are that upsetting to them might choose different pastimes before it comes to a diatribe.

Do you know what diatribe means? Do you have days where you do things that you need to abusively denounce your activities for the day? If so, I think flask was suggesting a behavior modification so that you don't have days where your behavior merits a diatribe from you or anyone else :lol:

you gave an example of someone needing to write a "forceful and bitter verbal attack" on their day's activities?

surely a person whose daytime activities are that upsetting to them might choose different pastimes before it comes to a diatribe.

Yes, I know what a diatribe is. See #3 below.

Definition

1archaic : a prolonged discourse

2: a bitter and abusive speech or writing

3: ironic or satirical criticism

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diatribe

Edited by bittsen

Do you know what diatribe means? Do you have days where you do things that you need to abusively denounce your activities for the day? If so, I think flask was suggesting a behavior modification so that you don't have days where your behavior merits a diatribe from you or anyone else :lol:

[flask]

Definition

you keep backpedaling like that, and you'll break an ankle.

Definition

I guess then, when did you ironically or satirically criticize your day's activities in a recent post? You could start here by an apology for the unsolicited come-on to the OP I guess. I need to take chrysalides's adivce again I think.

I am not surprised that you don't get my issues. At times I feel like our back and forth is like one with a bot akin to Smarter Child who would not pass the Turing test. I thought your statement about southern girls was inappropriate to an OP who was just making statements about logs. That was my particular issue there.

I am not surprised that you don't get my issues. At times I feel like our back and forth is like one with a bot akin to Smarter Child who would not pass the Turing test. I thought your statement about southern girls was inappropriate to an OP who was just making statements about logs. That was my particular issue there.

I apologize if my affection for southern females hurts your feelings. If I were the type to be easily offended, I am sure I could be offended by a number of things all over the world. I am not easily offended, however so I don't think like that. If I spent my life worrying that each thing I say, or do, "might" offend "someone" then I wouldn't have a life at all.

So for the future, is you are offended by what I say to someone other than you, I am sorry. If you are offended by anything I say to you, then you are reading something into my words that isn't there. I agree, in a mere written format, it is easy to misconstrue the intended emotion of a persons comments.

I assure you that 99% (+/-) of my posts were not meant to offend anyone. I cannot control other peoples emotions any more than I can control the weather. In that context, assume, from here on out, that if my words can be taken offensively, they still shouldn't.

My humor is dry. If you can study hard, very hard, and see humor in anything I type, then that is probably what I meant. (this post excepted, of course)

Trust me that when I want to offend someone, there will be zero doubt of my intent. But this forum is hardly a place where I would want to do that.

I hope you understand. If not, I apologize as I have clearly not made my point clear enough.

Editing to add...

It is an unfortunate reality that those with above average intelligence will typically suffer some loss of social skills. Conversely, those with superior social skills, unfortunately suffer some loss of comparable intelligence.

Of course, I am the exception....

That last sentence was supposed to be humor, in case you missed it.

Edited by bittsen

Apologies for the digression but sometimes topics move in their own ways. To the OP, I love unique logs and I'm glad you're tuned into that part of the game. It's too bad that a series of your caches were FTF'd with copy/paste logs but the nice thing is that you're out there putting out caches that people are looking for! You'll get good logs sometimes; revel in them and in the others it's still (for me) a nice feeling that someone went to look for my cache out of all the places they could have been in the world :lol:

Again apologies for diverting your topic.

...Does this bug anyone else or am i the only one?

You are not the only one. Alas, some folks just are not able to do more than the same log a trained monkey can write. It's just not in their make up. These same folks probalby would envy the trained monkey's writing skills so you can't hold it against them.

Just enjoy the logs you do get that you enjoy, and recognize that it's the nature of the beast that most logs will set a low standard.

that said even a cut and paste log does tell you that your cache is stil out there to find and being found. It's feedback of sorts even if not quite a work of literary art.

Where is the picture of the smiley face beating the dead horse?

No offense, but this topic is going to go the same as many other issues when it comes to geocaching. There are some that take the time to make it special and others who just don't give a crap. Just like there are people who take the time and effort to rehide the cache as they found it or better, compared to the ones who toss a piece of bark on top of it and call it hid. I usually like to leave detailed logs, although at times I leave a TFTC if the cache wasn't all that great, but didnt want to offend. Sort of like the "if you can't say anythign nice..."

Those that copy and paste are lazy. I hate to see them on my caches too, but there are always going to be those ones who do it.

I like the idea of making people aware of it on here. HOpefully someone who needs it will see it and start to do better in their loggings.

Hmm. Bittsen again? :lol: Am I the only one that looked at the OP's hides? The first thing I'd like to comment on is that Nano's are micros, and should not be listed as unknown size. :)

The second thing I'd like to comment on, is that their hides mostly appear to be "quick grabs". They may be in nice locations with historical markers, and with graphics on the cache page, but a "quick grab" will never be nothing more than a "quick grab" to those in the "quick grab" crowd. Have I put the phrase "quick grab" in quotes enough in this post? :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I apologize if my affection for southern females hurts your feelings. If I were the type to be easily offended, I am sure I could be offended by a number of things all over the world. I am not easily offended, however so I don't think like that. If I spent my life worrying that each thing I say, or do, "might" offend "someone" then I wouldn't have a life at all.

So for the future, is you are offended by what I say to someone other than you, I am sorry. If you are offended by anything I say to you, then you are reading something into my words that isn't there. I agree, in a mere written format, it is easy to misconstrue the intended emotion of a persons comments.

I assure you that 99% (+/-) of my posts were not meant to offend anyone. I cannot control other peoples emotions any more than I can control the weather. In that context, assume, from here on out, that if my words can be taken offensively, they still shouldn't.

My humor is dry. If you can study hard, very hard, and see humor in anything I type, then that is probably what I meant. (this post excepted, of course)

Trust me that when I want to offend someone, there will be zero doubt of my intent. But this forum is hardly a place where I would want to do that.

I hope you understand. If not, I apologize as I have clearly not made my point clear enough.

Editing to add...

It is an unfortunate reality that those with above average intelligence will typically suffer some loss of social skills. Conversely, those with superior social skills, unfortunately suffer some loss of comparable intelligence.

Of course, I am the exception....

That last sentence was supposed to be humor, in case you missed it.

I personally am offended that you bent that far over backward to offer an apology for offending someone who you weren't talking to yet offending them in some way in their imaginationland. Please stop offending me by apologizing to the offended party who was not the original target of said insult.

And BTW, southerngirls have cute accents...

Some people do a LOT of caches in one day and may not have the time to leave a paragraph description of the hunt on every one of them.

Some finds are sometimes, shall I say, not very exciting. Not much to say but TFTC.

I never done over say 7 or 8 in one day, which means they are pretty fresh in my little brain when I get home to log them. So I tend to ramble in my logs sometimes. If I did 20-30 in a day, I'd have to take notes.

The Copy/Paste people probably are just busy, and I'm glad they took the time to come out and find my caches, and I hope they had some fun.

...Am I the only one that looked at the OP's hides? The first thing I'd like to comment on is that Nano's are micros, and should not be listed as unknown size. :lol:

The second thing I'd like to comment on, is that their hides mostly appear to be "quick grabs". ...

Good point. Quick grabs garner tend to get quick logs, or at least more of them than other caches. More finds overall but smaller logs for each find.

Hmm. Bitsen again? :lol: Am I the only one that looked at the OP's hides? The first thing I'd like to comment on is that Nano's are micros, and should not be listed as unknown size. :D

The second thing I'd like to comment on, is that their hides mostly appear to be "quick grabs". They may be in nice locations with historical markers, and with graphics on the cache page, but a "quick grab" will never be nothing more than a "quick grab" to those in the "quick grab" crowd. Have I put the phrase "quick grab" in parenthesis enough in this post? :)

First of all, in many areas people are listing their nanos as others and then stating it on the cache page. It was being done in disagreement of nanos not having their own size category, but it seems to have caught on with newer cachers as well.

Second, I think you are being a little harsh on their caches. A "C & D" as many call it opposed to a quick grab, are valid caches where a traditional cache can't be place. WIth it being at historical markers and other interesting spots, it does give people something else to write about. Plus, they are basically new cachers with 70 finds under their belts. Their depth of the game will grow as they do more finds and do more hides. I think they have a valid point of people leaving logs like that and hope they will be encouraged by the ones who do leave longer and more interesting logs.

Also.... "quick grabs" = quotes

(quick grabs) = parenthesis

:D

Hmm. Bitsen again? :lol: Am I the only one that looked at the OP's hides? The first thing I'd like to comment on is that Nano's are micros, and should not be listed as unknown size. :D

The second thing I'd like to comment on, is that their hides mostly appear to be "quick grabs". They may be in nice locations with historical markers, and with graphics on the cache page, but a "quick grab" will never be nothing more than a "quick grab" to those in the "quick grab" crowd. Have I put the phrase "quick grab" in parenthesis enough in this post? :)

First of all, in many areas people are listing their nanos as others and then stating it on the cache page. It was being done in disagreement of nanos not having their own size category, but it seems to have caught on with newer cachers as well.

I tend to disagree. The overwhelming majority of Geocachers have never even once looked at these forums (there's a way you can tell this, but that's a whole 'nuther topic). And it's become quite apparent to me that a non-forum reader is almost always going to list their nano as an unknown size. I do agree they often will say it's a nano in the cache description. Which will most often never be read. :huh:

Also.... "quick grabs" = quotes

(quick grabs) = parenthesis

:D

Sorry, noticed that and edited it while you weren't looking. :D

I always try to write something about our experience at the cache. I will often cut and paste 2 sentences to start logs for a busy day but we always try to personalize each find. It isn't always possible if we didn't liek the cache much. A bland log is a bland cache (or I ran out of energy/time to log much more).

BUT I have to admit, I write all the logs for my little brother. Without my writing his logs he would never have any caches listed as found. And TRUST ME, you want me logging for him, not him. Sentence structure and spelling are not his strong suit. Matter of fact, I believe they are in hiding from his previous abuse of them.

So, when all our personal logging for a trip is done, and when I have spare time, I spend an evening logging his finds. I figure that his log just needs to say he was with us and the date if it is more than a week since we found the caches. He sometimes asks me to add in particular comments but otherwise he is happy with my cut-and-paste.

Not everyone is a creative writer. Some people just aren't writers. Some people shouldn't write.

I also get disappointed at TFTC logs on my caches but I understand that they happen and there may be reasons beyond lack of knowledge about logging and rudeness for those logs. Exhaustion comes to mind. :lol:

Not everyone is a creative writer. Some people just aren't writers. Some people shouldn't write.

There is alot of truth in that and that's why when I see a TFTC or TNLN-SL log, it doesn't bother me. I just chalk it up to someone who isn't a creative writer and more than likely, they realize that about themselves...so why try to fake a "creative" log? We all want Hemingway to find our caches, but sometimes you have to settle for Silent Bob.

The cut-n-paste logs are the ones I detest. It just tells me that no matter how creative/interesting the cache (whether mine or someone elses), you can't be bothered to even try writing about it. It's just your 12th (19th, 26th, 33rd...whatever) smiley for the day. With the TFTC logs, I give the cacher the benefit of the doubt, but not with c/p logs. Those are just lazy.

Bruce

Bugs me too. knowing how it feels as an owner to get copy/paste logs, I try to say something different on each one even if its just a film cannister tossed behind a bush at burger king it gets more than just a TNLN SL

Not to be overly critical of the OP, but looking at the caches they placed, they appear to be pretty quick grabs, and when you have relatively short, abbreviated Descriptions....well, you kind of set the tone for the Listing and you get what you ask for:

Quick Park N Grab. 35mm canister.

Looking at that Description, I'm surprised at the length of the Log Entries that you DID get :D Most of the Log Entries I read are longer than the Description.

I can certainly appreciate the OP's efforts in placing this string of caches, but if you want long beautiful essays submitted on your Listings, I think you're going to need to put a bit more effort into it :lol:

I am not a fan of copy and paste logs either.

However, you may find that some folks who are interested in doing as many caches as they can as quickly as they can log like this to save time on their end.

I like to leave at least a comment or two on my cache finds unless it is so uninspired that I really don't take anything away with me that makes the hide memorable. I may leave a very short log on something like that. But even on those it won't be a copy and paste....

I am thankful for the unique logs on my caches. I too am irritated by cut and pasters but it happens. I think you have the right attitude in this situation though, and leading by example maybe you will get those locals changing there ways, who knows!

When I went to GW7 this year I found 160+ caches in a three day weekend. I had very spotty internet while there so I waited till I returned home to log most of them. My logs were shorter than normal I will admit, but I logged each one with a unique personal log.

Oh, dear. I am agreeing the blitzen again.

Happened to me once, too. Don't worry... give it time... it will pass. :lol:

While I am a huge proponent of the personal, individual logs and hugely against copy/paste (etc... ), one point that I don't think I've ever seen raised when this topic has come up before is that some people simply can't type well. They may never have learned to go beyond hunt & peck, they may have arthritic hands... just a thought.

While I am a huge proponent of the personal, individual logs and hugely against copy/paste (etc... ), one point that I don't think I've ever seen raised when this topic has come up before is that some people simply can't type well. They may never have learned to go beyond hunt & peck, they may have arthritic hands... just a thought.

i do not type well, and i have pain in my hands.

i STILL take the time to write real logs.

if i have the time to find the cache, i have the time to write a log.

i do not type well, and i have pain in my hands.

i STILL take the time to write real logs.

if i have the time to find the cache, i have the time to write a log.

True. But also true that not eveybody has your spirit.

:huh:

This really bugs me and my husband too! I think my hubby gets even more upset than I do when we place a nice cache and have put a lot of effort into it....we get "a quick find with xxx" Oh that makes us mad because a couple of our hides aren't quick finds. But I just shrug it off; what can you do? Nothing. I tend to post longer ones and tell the story of the find and sometimes I write too much. Every cache I find there's always a funny or not so funny story to tell, so I appreciate the ones who take the time to tell their stories on how they found my cache hides. :laughing: