The early handhelds....Old Timers ?s

I'd read about Geocaching taking off with the SA change which allowed for better accuracy. From what I gather (maybe incorrectly) that there were handhelds for civilian use before this event?

The GPS that hooked me on this game was a Magellan GPS 2000. Bought it from a coworker for $20. It only acquired a 3D lock on hilltops on clear days. It was enough to get my interest up.

Can any of you "old timers" :P chime in about some of the early units you bought in the early days? Price (then), accuracy, etc.

I have a gps48. Used it when SA was still on, not very accurate but that was the idea. I used it for boating and to improve the accuracy I got the DGPS receiver. That worked pretty good and the accuracy was pretty good. When SA was turned off I used it for caching. The biggest problem with that unit was the lack of electronic compass and the need to always be moving to get the compass to work. It also sucked under tree cover, but out on the boat that was not a big problem for some reason.

Jim

I'd read about Geocaching taking off with the SA change which allowed for better accuracy. From what I gather (maybe incorrectly) that there were handhelds for civilian use before this event?

The GPS that hooked me on this game was a Magellan GPS 2000. Bought it from a coworker for $20. It only acquired a 3D lock on hilltops on clear days. It was enough to get my interest up.

Can any of you "old timers" :P chime in about some of the early units you bought in the early days? Price (then), accuracy, etc.

I found my first 175 caches with that exact unit. I paid FULL PRICE ($199) for it in 1995. I have it listed on my profile. :P

On occasion, I still break out my old Garmin GPS 12. I can't remember when I bought it but it was before SA was turned off; maybe around '99 or so. It's not a bad unit; it's very solid, can hold a position, and performs (sans the map) just as well as my eTrex Vista or my GPSMAP 76S.

When I bought it, I still used it like how we used the "Pluggers" when I was in the Army, by plotting everything on topo quads. Even with SA, the whole novelty of using GPS really blew me away and even with the 50+ m accuracy and excessive time to get a lock, it was still an amazing piece of technology. Back when I was in the Army, we actually had a log book of good times to get get a GPS lock based on location.

In the mid-90's we used to carry GPS units for work and they were all backpack units and ran in the thousands...

I bought my fist GPSR in 1997, it was an Eagle Explorer. Cost was just unter $100.00. It ate through 4 AA batteries in a matter of about 4 hours, better longevity with E2 Lithium's when they came out. Accuracy was about 20 meters, and if you stayed in one place for any length of time you could see your trail drift around on the screen. No mapping capabilities, it just read out where you were, and had a screen that could track your path and display any waypoints that you had to manualy enter. Trees or heavy cloud cover really degraded the accuracy as you lost sight of satelites and when walking you pretty much had to carry it in front of you as a divining rod as it would not work if you carried it in your hand and walked normally. Most of my finds to date were with this unit, I have recently upgraded to a Garmin.

Eagle Explorer Owners Manual 1996

I still have my Garmin 45. As Jim mentioned it was great in the boat.I even paid almost $100 for a passive antenna for it. Worked fairly well with the antenna in our fiberglass top Van RV. I used to get coords from airports and so forth and even used it to track our trip on the Alaska Ferry. On my first attempt at finding a cache in August 2001, I lost satellite signal as soon as I entered the woods. Went and bought a Maggy the same day and found the cache. I will never sell or give away that GPS. It was like my first born. Dick, W7WT btw: It saved me from going the wrong way near Haines Junction just west of Whitehorse. Dick, W7WT

I found my first 200 caches with a Cobra 100. It had to be the worst gpsr ever made. First, it had no cable to transfer the coords to the unit. All the coords had to be entered by hand. When you got within 100 feet of the cache it would no longer navigate. It was say arriving at the cache and the arrow would lock which ever way it was pointing. And it there was any tree cover, lord help me. There was a bright side to it, it made me and the kids much more adept at actually looking for the cache.

My youngest was about 7 when we started caching. She found a piece of bark and said it was her gpsr. She would use it help find the cache. She said it started to shake whenever we got close to the cache. That's about as low-tech of a gpsr as you can get... :D

Not sure if we qualify as oldtimers, but our first GPS was a Magellan SporTrak which my Wife paid $150 for at the end of 2003. We still loan it to new cachers to use while they decide if they want to get into the game. Our "new" GPS is a Garmin GPSMap 76cs which I gave myself for Father's Day in 2005. Found about 500 with the Maggie and about 2,000 so far with the Garmin.

Started with a Garmin GPS 12 and "graduated" to a Garmin GPS II+, both fine receivers. Small monochrome screens, but they did the trick. Used them mostly for hiking, and (big as they were) cycling. MooseMaMa lost the GPS 12 on a hike, and I gave the GPS II+ to a friend who lost his off the roof of his van. Wasn't long after that he lost the one I gave him off the rear bumper of the same vehicle :laughing:. When SA was removed I got a little yellow eTrex........man we've come a long way :D.

Bill

This was a bit before my time (and probably most of you)

nmah2002-03037_428px.jpg

The Manpack was the first man-portable Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver. It was developed by Rockwell Collins (then the Collins Government Avionics Division of Rockwell International) as part of the GPS phase 2 preproduction contract and deployed during the GPS phase 3 initial production equipment contract. It is a one-channel set that weighs about 17 lbs. and was designed to be carried on a rucksack frame, backpack style. However, due to its weight, it was most often strapped to a truck or helicopter. Since it was a single channel GPS receiver, it was not able to track multiple GPS satellites simultaneously. To form the GPS position solution, the Manpack sequentially acquired and tracked four GPS satellites. A cryptographic code could be loaded into the set, thereby giving it the capability to provide Precise Positioning Service (PPS). Adaptations of the Manpack were used in early GPS missile integrations including Conventional Air Launched Cruise Missile (CALCM) and Standoff Land Attack Missile (SLAM).

Up from the depths of my GPS drawer: my DeLorme Earthmate I. I don't recall exactly when I got this...it was sometime in the late 90's, I think.

I include the connecting cable in all its glory, as I had to connect it to my Palm Pilot in order to see anything in the field (a connection to a laptop in the car worked well with whatever version of StreetAtlas USA I had. It was cool to see my [fuzzy] location, although it was cumbersome holding the Earthmate in one hand and the Palm Pilot in the other, while getting the cable tangled up in whatever was available to snag it.

And it was priced great at $99 IIRC. That was an attractive price for the capabilities back then.

DSCF2225.jpg

Got a GPS V. Not the first, or even old school. It was at the time the best handheld consumer GPS bar none. I just got rid of it this year. I was happy with the GPS V in every way. The orgeon that replaced does exactly one thing the GPS V didn't. Paperless. It's drawbacks (dim screen) almost isn't worth it. Meaning I could still be happy with the V but I decided that I'd give paperless on the GPS a shot.

I went out this weeked with ny Brother in Law NinjaBetic and we found 2 caches. He was useing his Iphone with the very nice Geocache plug in and I was using my old trusty eTrex Legend. The legend is the first model, serial cable to pc mono screen and pre-was so with a good 3+ sat lock acc is about +/- 15 feet, but usaly your in the +/- 30 foot range. This is usaly enough to get you into the area and then work the clues to zero in. You can get the Legend for under $50 now days, its water resistant, Fairly rugged, and gets many hours of 2 AA batteries. I use it on a handle bar mount on my Quad for desert rideing so it can take some abuse.

Now the Iphone was much nicer , down to less than 10ft and with the Geocach app that automarks all listed hides in the area, but I still have fun with my old Garmin

And then there's this lovely little thing by Rockwell:

Plgr.jpg

It's really funny but I had no idea that the actual name was "PLGR". When I was in the service, we just called them "pluggers". When they were issued to our unit, they seemed so high tech, especially when they started putting the computers that overlayed our position in our Bradleys and Humvee's. It's been a very long time but if I recall, we also used them to set the time on our radio's for their frequency hopping.

Late 90's. Garmin III+. Seems like I paid around $300 for it. Mapping unit with B&W display and a whopping 1.44MB of non-expandable memory for maps. Bought it for back-country hiking and also used it for Geocaching up until early 2008. What a difference between the III+ and the Colorado :unsure: