Come on peeps, you can't use a ziplock bag for a container

... especially in the PacNW.

<rant>

I mean seriously people. This is a soggy part of the world, you can't really expect your cache to stay in tact in a ziplock freezer bag. Yellow & Blue Make Green, but they don't make a good cache container. :D While I'm on a roll, neither do coffee cans or tupperware. I'm just sayin.

Also, all my Oregon GeoPeeps - the quality of swag out there seems to be pretty... um... yea. Broken Chinese finger puzzles and rocks do not = swag. I'm tryin to do my part by upping the anty where I can... :anitongue:

I'm done. :laughing:

</rant>

I've only found a couple of caches that were Ziplock bags. In each case it later turned out someone had stolen the cache container and just left the baggies that were in it.

I do know that there has been some caches that were hidden in just the bag, but if I found one that way, I would assume the container was gone and post a needs maintenance.

I have found a few caches that tried to make a lousy container work by putting it in a garbage bag. In some of those cases the cache page mentioned that it was wrapped in a bag.

Unwrapping a garbage bag that has been laying in the woods for a few weeks or months can be pretty disgusting.

When you say "peeps," I think of little colored marshmallows popular during Easter.

Peeps

1) cute little delicious marsh-mellow chicks. Usually are around about Easter. The Peeps company also makes bunnies. They sell novelty peeps items such as peeps socks, flashlights, plush, containers, easter baskets, and much more.

2) Short for "people".

3) Friends, buddies , pals, etc.

1) "Mmmmmmmm! these peeps are delicious! I'm going to eat these everyday for breakfast!"

2) "Hey peeps! What's up?"

3) "These are my peeps"

While I think that everytime I hear someone say it, that is not what the OP is refering to of course which makes the first example sentence of definition three particulalrly disturbing to me. :D

I'm so glad I put up this post, because you guys are making me laugh my butt off!

peep_diorama.png

Expectations are a funny thing.

Yes, I suppose I could just always assume that I'm going to find a cache full of broken Chinese finger puzzles and earwigs, and then be thrilled when I find a soggy, used eraser. :anitongue: I know before I went out and found a single cache for the first time, I read the forums and a book to find out what the culture/expectations of the game community were. I read about "trading up" and then was a little (but not a lot) surprised at the ookie trade items when I actually got out in the field.

Pretty much the reason that I can get my two little kids to go with me and be patient during while I do the "drunken-bee dance" is the prospect of a treasure. It's just kind of a bummer when we go through all the effort and we end up like Charlie Brown on Halloween (holding a bag of rocks, for those who don't catch the cultural reference) . :laughing:

Whats wrong with tupperware?

I've found that the caches I've found so far that are in Tupperware still seem to end up soggy and ookie. I'm in NW Oregon where it's pretty wet a lot of the time and unless you're using an ammo can or a lock & lock, it seems like it ends up damp. Maybe people aren't burping them properly then they rehide them? :laughing:

OTOH.... I think I just had an epiphany! I was going through my box o' trade items and realizing that I haven't traded some of my cooler stuff. The reason was that the cache container wasn't water tight so some of my better items probably wouldn't hold up. So far, I've only left one of the following: brand new box o' crayons, tape measure, crocheted washcloth - for fear that they would get ruined in a non water-tight box. I have left an awful lot of Sharpies and carabiners, tho. So maybe... not so hot containers = not so great cache items. Hmmmm! :D I know that I tend to gravitate toward caches that are in ammo cans, since I know there is a pretty good chance of my kids not being disappointed.

Whats wrong with tupperware?

I've found that the caches I've found so far that are in Tupperware still seem to end up soggy and ookie. I'm in NW Oregon where it's pretty wet a lot of the time and unless you're using an ammo can or a lock & lock, it seems like it ends up damp. Maybe people aren't burping them properly then they rehide them? :D

I also live in the PNW, about 25 miles East of you.

I am thinking that the "tupperware" you are referring to is actually the cheap 4 for a buck Glad containers. True tupperware shouldn't EVER leak. Burping or otherwise, it shouldn't leak.

I've found the gladlock containers in the field and they weren't trustworthy. I found one tupperware and it seemed to be holding up just fine.

There does seem to be some confusion as to what Tupperware is. Tupperware is a brand name container, with a seal, and blue around the top. Some people seem to think that anything made of plastic is 'tupperware'. They are misinformed. I mentioned, in a log, that a Chinese food container does not mae a good geocachig container. CO told me that tupperware was considered a good container. The soup container was NOT Tupperware.

I also live in the PNW, about 25 miles East of you.

I am thinking that the "tupperware" you are referring to is actually the cheap 4 for a buck Glad containers. True tupperware shouldn't EVER leak. Burping or otherwise, it shouldn't leak.

I've found the gladlock containers in the field and they weren't trustworthy. I found one tupperware and it seemed to be holding up just fine.

Well howdy, neighbor! :D

The one Tupperware I've found was I think a Rubbermaid. Green lid. Yeah, I know the 4/$1 Gladware you're referring to. I haven't come across one of those yet. I came across a coffee can this last weekend and considering it was under a bridge in a rainforest, I was surprised it wasn't in something more watertight.

So Tupperware is a go, huh? I'd be worried about it warping in the elements and then not making a seal anymore, but it's definitely cheaper than an ammo can or one of the fancy geocaching boxes at REI. Good to know you've had a good Tupperware experience.

Agree with last poster about Tupperware. It should never leak, as long as you are using Tupperware that is in good condition. Buying a bunch of stained Tupperware at a yardsale isn't a good idea. But true Tupperware should work just fine. Although, IMO, Lock n Locks or other like containers with the rubber gasket is a much better choice.

If I found a cache in the woods in a plastic bag, I think I would pick it up and take it with me and alert the owner that his/her container was muggled and that I would offer to meet him to give him back his bag. A bag doesn't ever make a decent container and will just be a disappointment for many cachers to come who find a soggy mess.

There does seem to be some confusion as to what Tupperware is. Tupperware is a brand name container, with a seal, and blue around the top. Some people seem to think that anything made of plastic is 'tupperware'. They are misinformed. I mentioned, in a log, that a Chinese food container does not mae a good geocachig container. CO told me that tupperware was considered a good container. The soup container was NOT Tupperware.

"Tupperware" is much like "Kleenex", "Q-Tip", "Band-Aid" or "Escalator". They have been genericized.

"A genericized trademark is a trademark or brand name that has become the colloquial or generic description for (or synonymous with) a general class of product or service, rather than the specific meaning intended by the trademark's holder."

The more you know... *cue music*

If I found a cache in the woods in a plastic bag, I think I would pick it up and take it with me and alert the owner that his/her container was muggled and that I would offer to meet him to give him back his bag. A bag doesn't ever make a decent container and will just be a disappointment for many cachers to come who find a soggy mess.

It was in a cave, but yeah - the original description did specify that was in a container. This is me PMing the CO right now...

Also, Tupperware and ammo cans and Lock n Locks are only as watertight as the last person to close them. Something closed in the seal can let water in, or the ammo can may not have been latched correctly, or maybe the containers where opened and closed in a big downpour, and any of thse things can let water into a cache. I've seen plenty of soggy caches myself, and I just kind of expect it in this area. It sucks, but it's just the way it is. Been nice and hot for a few weeks, though, so going to go out and hit me some nice dry containers this week!

<rant>

I mean seriously people. This is a soggy part of the world, you can't really expect your cache to stay in tact in a ziplock freezer bag. Yellow & Blue Make Green, but they don't make a good cache container. :D While I'm on a roll, neither do coffee cans or tupperware. I'm just sayin.

I'm done. :anitongue:

</rant>

I beg to differ with you. In the right location, they work fine. I've got one a little south of you that has been found a bunch of times, and just about everyone comments favorably. Actually, it isn't even sealed. I have 5 hides, so when you come down, you'll have to find them all to see which one I'm talking about. I'll be looking for your find log...

Ed (the back half of PATNED)

Edited by patned

Geeze... I haven't even gotten used to ppl yet, much less peeps! Don't peeps get arrested sometimes for their peeps? I heard of a guy named Tom once that did.

On the other hand, gotta pretty much agree with you about ziplocks, but as with anything else (including (see recent thread on the matter) ->> GLASS JARS <<-!!, it does matter where and how you used them. While I would never do it (probably) a cardboard Chinese takeout container would probably work in the right situation.

But.... peeps?!?

It really depends on the placement. I've found 3 or 4 micros that were made out of the little strip mint containers. In each one the log was dry. It worked because they were placed in an area that was naturally protected from the elements. One even had it's little snap lid missing!!!

Ziploc cache found today - logbook wasn't just wet......slimy and smelly too. Pretty much out in the open, with only rocks on top (which were probably responsible for the tears in the plastic and the crushed "zip.")

Yep. Found that one last week. Oh, wait. I was in North Carolina! Previous finder reported "Need Maintenance". Someone stole the ammo can. I may not be welcomed in the southern Appalachians again. I logged four NMs. And twelve DNFs. Oh, well.

And I'm NOT a 'peep'. I'm a person. (Or, possibly, a dolphin.)

<rant>

I mean seriously people. This is a soggy part of the world, you can't really expect your cache to stay in tact in a ziplock freezer bag. Yellow & Blue Make Green, but they don't make a good cache container. :unsure: While I'm on a roll, neither do coffee cans or tupperware. I'm just sayin.

Also, all my Oregon GeoPeeps - the quality of swag out there seems to be pretty... um... yea. Broken Chinese finger puzzles and rocks do not = swag. I'm tryin to do my part by upping the anty where I can... :)

I'm done. :o

</rant>

In a perfect world it'd all be ammo cans and lock n' locks.

I've only found one ziplock and that was in the bushes. if they're checked and replaced regularly i guess its ok.

Any Tupperware(brand) container should not leak. The best part is that if it does, you can have it replaced free of charge. I have never seen real Tupperware brand cache container. Lots of the cheep glad ware etc. These never have good water tightness (is that a word?)

I have never seen a baggy cache, but judging from the baggies for log books in other cache containers, there is realy no hope for a baggie cache.

The last ziplock cache I logged was Ultima Thule, on Feb 26th 2008. Published Feb 5th 2008.

In less than 20 days, this cache devolved into a disaster. The owner was a noob, so rather than post a NM, I sent him a polite note regarding what kind of containers are suited for Florida's climate, and what containers should only be used to hold a sandwich. I never heard back from him, and he never fixed his cache. On Dec 9th 2008, A cacher replaced the shredded baggie with a Gladware, which, although incredibly crappy at repelling moisture, seems to do a pretty good job at retaining it. Recently, I found another ziplock cache, but I haven't logged it. It shouldn't come as too much of a surprise to learn this one was also trashed within a very short time after placement. It makes me wonder how anyone with an IQ could possibly think a ziplock could make for a reasonable container. :drama:

It makes me wonder how anyone with an IQ could possibly think a ziplock could make for a reasonable container. :drama:

I often wonder why people seem to get the idea that its OK to use many of the containers that are used. Can't spend $5 on a proper container (ammo can, L&L, Bison Tube, etc?)? Then don't bother. Not saying there aren't some recycled type containers that are just fine, but use them because they work just fine and are right for the job, not because they are cheap and were otherwise destined for your trash can.

It makes me wonder how anyone with an IQ could possibly think a ziplock could make for a reasonable container. :drama:

I don't want to split hairs, but you might want to keep that kind of verbiage out of logs. It's fairly insulting and could come back at you.

I don't want to split hairs, but you might want to keep that kind of verbiage out of logs. It's fairly insulting and could come back at you.

You're right. That is the perfect time to log, "TFTC".

Lately I've fallen into the PC crap inherent with the Thumper rule:

"If you can't say nuthin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all"

Which is why I haven't bothered logging that last ziplock.

Someone who isn't bright enough to figure out that a ziplock, stuffed full of trinkets, shoved under a log bristling with pokey bits, might not retain its inherent (yet minor) degree of water resistance, probably wouldn't pick up on any helpful critique my poor typing skills could render.

Someone who isn't bright enough to figure out that a ziplock, stuffed full of trinkets, shoved under a log bristling with pokey bits, might not retain its inherent (yet minor) degree of water resistance, probably wouldn't pick up on any helpful critique my poor typing skills could render.

Did it have a nice, sharp pencil inside the ziplock?

--------------------

Film Cannisters: The perfect antibiotic for the Ziplock Cache Virus.

I've only found one baggie...wadded up and stuck up into the metal pole of a stop sign. This was done by the owner because it was less than a day after the cache was activated.

Not necessarily true. I had my urban bison tube hide muggled within 24 hours. Probably closer to 12.

I found a ziploc cache and figured it was a temporary replacement. (Found it on a whim with the Jr - so no prior info on it.) But when I got home to log it I found out that the cache was indeed a ziploc. It seemed a bit odd to me, but since our family has yet to place our first cache, I am really not one to judge.

Well at least on the Tupperware/Rubbermaid thing, I stand corrected. I made a pilgrimage to The Original Cache Site this weekend and what did I find?...... A tupperware/rubbermaid like container. This one has flaps on all sides that snapped down. I'm pretty sure it was a fairly new replacement, but everything was totally in pristine shape. I guess if tupperware/rubbermaid is good enough for The Original Cache, then it's good enough for any cache ;-)

However, I still stand by my feeling that coffee cans and generic plastic bottles are not the best containers.

As to the other part of my (tongue-in-cheek) rant, I did 3 caches this weekend and one was full of some pretty good. stuff. The other two... not so much. I wish people would think about whether they themselves would like to find what they are placing in the cache. If you don't have something equal or better to trade, then don't. I Beefed up both "not so much" caches with what I thought were groovy items, in hopes that it would raise the bar in my area (and because they were ammo cans and my cool goodies wouldn't get soaked :drama: )

Edited by nericksx

<rant>

I mean seriously people. This is a soggy part of the world, you can't really expect your cache to stay in tact in a ziplock freezer bag. Yellow & Blue Make Green, but they don't make a good cache container. ;) While I'm on a roll, neither do coffee cans or tupperware. I'm just sayin.

I'm done. :)

</rant>

I beg to differ with you. In the right location, they work fine. I've got one a little south of you that has been found a bunch of times, and just about everyone comments favorably. Actually, it isn't even sealed. I have 5 hides, so when you come down, you'll have to find them all to see which one I'm talking about. I'll be looking for your find log...

Ed (the back half of PATNED)

Sorry Ed, I saw your post via my Blackberry and meant to respond when I got to a bigger keyboard, but then forgot until today. So here goes...

Is that a CHALLENGE?!? Did I just get CALLED OUT!?!?!? Well I accept! :grin::drama::P

Next time my hubby has a meeting out there, (next month I believe), then I'll tag along and see if I can pick up any of your caches. :grin:

TFTC, in advance!

Well at least on the Tupperware/Rubbermaid thing, I stand corrected. I made a pilgrimage to The Original Cache Site this weekend and what did I find?...... A tupperware/rubbermaid like container. This one has flaps on all sides that snapped down.
That sounds like a Lock&Lock:

http://us.locknlock.com/product.asp?cNumber=11

Groundspeak even sells geocaching containers of this style:

http://shop.Groundspeak.com/productDetail.cfm?ProductID=126

High-quality food-storage containers like that can work well. The plastic can turn brittle when exposed to the elements though, and any container can leak when sealed improperly.

The best part is that if it does, you can have it replaced free of charge.

I can just see it now. Joe Cacher goes out to check on his hide number 14 just off the trail in Kookamunga State Park. He returns with his Tupperware ® container, lid warped, dirt stained and a little moss growing on the lid.

He hands it to his Mrs. Cacher and sends her off to the local Tupperware party to get it exchanged under the lifetime warranty with the hopes that he can get his cache back in action as soon as possible.

I can just imagine the questions at the party:

"What does GC342XX mean?"

"Is that moss growing on the side?"

"Is N 85* 12.674' W 085* 44.563' some sort of special reheating instructions?"

And of course,

"Why is this Tupperware painted with a camo pattern?"

(Disclaimer: For those of you not familiar with Tupperware parties, I refer back to the early history of Tupperware and the plastics industry - direct marketing done in home mostly by stay at home women. No disrespect is intended or implied by the reference of gender and their roles in this story - I'm just referencing history)

Well at least on the Tupperware/Rubbermaid thing, I stand corrected. I made a pilgrimage to The Original Cache Site this weekend and what did I find?...... A tupperware/rubbermaid like container. This one has flaps on all sides that snapped down.

High-quality food-storage containers like that can work well. The plastic can turn brittle when exposed to the elements though, and any container can leak when sealed improperly.

OH! Thaaaat's a Lock&Lock. I thought it was a metal container for some reason. Oh. Well those are groovy. I didn't realize that the plastic containers for sale on cg.com were Lock&Locks. Cool. I'll have to get some.

I've only found one baggie...wadded up and stuck up into the metal pole of a stop sign. This was done by the owner because it was less than a day after the cache was activated.

Well, I *TOLD* you not to go after that cache, but do you ever listen?

Nooooo....

Oh, well. The truth is only insulting if one is too thin-skinned or cheap. I'm known for saying what I think. If it's a great cache, I will say so. If the cache sucks, I may also say so. If you're too cheap to buy a good container (which are relatively cheap), I may very well mention it. "Take out food containers make terrible caches!"

I found one in a baggie last month and it really surprised and disappointed me. It was the last stage of an absolutely terrific and challenging 4-stage multi. The CO was going to be taking a series of road trips so the final was completely packed with travel bugs, coins, and all kinds of trackables so the container was completely inappropriate. Granted, it was a really nice baggie (more like a pencil case) but still not nearly sturdy or heavy enough for it's resting place.

Oh, well. The truth is only insulting if one is too thin-skinned or cheap. I'm known for saying what I think. If it's a great cache, I will say so. If the cache sucks, I may also say so. If you're too cheap to buy a good container (which are relatively cheap), I may very well mention it. "Take out food containers make terrible caches!"

There is a fine line between constructive criticism ("This container makes a poor cache") and an insult ("Only idiots use this kind of container").

Cache and log however you like - it doens't bug me. I just wanted to give a fellow cacher some friendly advice. Feel free to ignore it as you please.

When you say "peeps," I think of little colored marshmallows popular during Easter.

Peeps

1) cute little delicious marsh-mellow chicks. Usually are around about Easter. The Peeps company also makes bunnies. They sell novelty peeps items such as peeps socks, flashlights, plush, containers, easter baskets, and much more.

2) Short for "people".

3) Friends, buddies , pals, etc.

1) "Mmmmmmmm! these peeps are delicious! I'm going to eat these everyday for breakfast!"

2) "Hey peeps! What's up?"

3) "These are my peeps"

While I think that everytime I hear someone say it, that is not what the OP is refering to of course which makes the first example sentence of definition three particulalrly disturbing to me. :P

My 5 yr old daughter has a t-shirt that says "hangin' with my peeps" and has little marshmallow peeps on it!

The original stash ammo can is gone again??? That darned thing was chained to a big tree with a large cable for crying out loud.

I understand placing a ziplock, I don't agree, but I understand. With my hides, whether bison tube or ammo can, the containers get muggled - a lot. I'm slowly archiving caches because I cannot afford to continually replace them. I mean honestly, if you need a bison tube that bad, give me a call.

Now, I've seen ziplocks duct taped and that makes them pretty rigid... but they still don't last long. Gladeware - played with it and they're no good, previous posters have mentioned they're good at retaining water better than repelling. Even plastic LocknLocks get brittle in the elements, Ammo cans are best, but not every location can hold an ammo can. Plus they can get expensive.

Part of the problem as stated several times already is the finders ability to close the container correctly - and I will add, preferably not by removing the container. Maybe caches should have a minimum IQ rating for finding? I've seen some where someone stepped on tupperware to get it closed.

I just did a DeLorme loop around the eastern half of Oregon with the family and replaced about 10 busted containers or put the ziplock into a container, but didn't fix all of them. Each time I sent a note to the CO and got a very nice thank you in return. Some didn't even know there was an issue.

Leave 'em better than you find 'em.

...and yes, the swag in Oregon sucks, but no worse than anywhere else I've been. personally I've seen more 1000 for a buck erasers in the caches. something happened to the trade equal or up. really, if that were the case I'd have found a ferrari in a cache by now.

Let's take a moment and think about as designed life expectancy of a few of the popular containers.

Ziplock type bags - I know they aren't popular but they are on topic. Designed for a single use. They can handle being opened and closed a few times.

Gladware type containers - Designed to be used a couple of time after being left at the inlaws house. Hey, you aren't gonna waste a Lock-N-Lock on the inlaws.

Lock-N-Locks - designed for a lifetime of kitchen use. Not meant to be outdoors but should and do hold up to a lot of abuse.

Ammo cans - These thing were designed with the rugged use the military would subject them to in mind. They are meant to handle every climate on this planet from the equator to the poles and to last for years. We get 'em at the end of their service life and they still hold up indefinitely. The most common reason for the failure of an ammo can as a cache container is theft.

Most other containers can be placed somewhere in between those listed.

When I hide a cache I think about what is the toughest container I can reasonably put in this location. If the spot is large enough to hold an ammo can and still keep it concealed that is what it gets.