Biggest shock while opening a cache?

I recently found an ammo can near some powerlines and when I opened it a loud alarm when off. The cache owner thankfully had marked the instuctions for disabling it but I freaked for a second.

Any one else have those moments where you think the hunt is over only to be surprised just by opening the cache?

I didn't get a shock opening the cache but I got one when I pulled it from its location.

I was removing a simple guardrail cache and all of a sudden a lizard cones screaming out from the edge of it. The thing was tiny but moved FAST. Scared the heck out of me for a second. It was apparantly relaxing on the edge of the cache and was probably as scared as I was.

Yeah, until recently, I had one called Shhhh!!!

It was two feet from a paved trail. The cache page warns about the hikers, walkers, and bikers that use the trail, so you have to be quiet!!! I had the main workings from a pet toy inside, wired to a momentary contact switch so that once the lid came off, the cache started to play, "I THINK I LOVE YOU SO WHAT ARE YOU SO AFRAID OF..." (etc)

Another one, It's a Fur Piece, But the Roads Are Good, now archived, was in a hollow log in a busy disc golf park. The log was just right for sitting on. Tryng to act nonchalant, you'd sit on the log and reach down to check the hollow end of the log. The container was covered with fake fur... and that was the first thing your fingers would touch!

Edited by knowschad

Yeah, until recently, I had one called Shhhh!!!

It was two feet from a paved trail. The cache page warns about the hikers, walkers, and bikers that use the trail, so you have to be quiet!!! I had the main workings from a pet toy inside, wired to a momentary contact switch so that once the lid came off, the cache started to play, "I THINK I LOVE YOU SO WHAT ARE YOU SO AFRAID OF..." (etc)

Another one, It's a Fur Piece, But the Roads Are Good, now archived, was in a hollow log in a busy disc golf park. The log was just right for sitting on. Tryng to act nonchalant, you'd sit on the log and reach down to check the hollow end of the log. The container was covered with fake fur... and that was the first thing your fingers would touch!

your cruel. But I love it!

Jim

I recently found an ammo can near some powerlines and when I opened it a loud alarm when off. The cache owner thankfully had marked the instuctions for disabling it but I freaked for a second.

Any one else have those moments where you think the hunt is over only to be surprised just by opening the cache?

Found a cache that had one of those spring snakes that fly out when the top is opened.

Scared the heck out of me and then I couldn't stop laughing. I watched the cache logs for weeks for the comments.

Yeah funny you should mention this, I was recently caching in a local water park.

It's lovely area and a nature reserve no less but is also known to be frequented by some unsavoury people from a local estate. As there are a good few caches there and not one to be put off I had a walk there and with five caches found of five I was having a good day.

As I was looking for cache number six I was coming to within 100 yards of where the cache was and spotted a tree with a slab of stone covering the space between the roots. I got the shock of my life when I pulled the stone back. A photograph if two guys naked involved in a sexual act :laughing:

There was some other things there but I didn't hang around to see. With my mobile dead I hoofed it to my local police station and reported it. Didn't want any kids stumbling across it. The police informed me that its a meeting place for thins kind of thing :D

Anyway just goes to show city caching can come with risks. I have still to go back and find the cache there (which I have checked wasn't the actual cache) but I might give it a miss :laughing:

I cache I found recently had a bunch of spiders in it. Ohhh I hate spiders.

Someone had put some candy in there and ants found it. And spiders found the ants.

I'm shivering just thinking about it.

must have been a really water tight container, eh?

Jim

There is another here in the Twin Cities which emits a loud alarm when openned, but I won't name here. Everyone should get the surprise I did. It would be hilarious to do a webcam cache like that to catch all the crazy faces people would make.

I like the idea! Working to make it happen, and I will UL vids...This should be good!

There is another here in the Twin Cities which emits a loud alarm when openned, but I won't name here. Everyone should get the surprise I did. It would be hilarious to do a webcam cache like that to catch all the crazy faces people would make.

I like the idea! Working to make it happen, and I will UL vids...This should be good!

Here's a good idea: Put a pullable firecracker in the waterproof cache with a camera so that when they open it, the firecracker will explode, and the camera will get a picture. Better cement it to the ground so that the camera doesn't get broken. Then have a a packet of extra fierecrackers in a small waterproof container so the cachers can set it up again for the next cacher.

Also, for the scorpion one just before this post, remember I ndian Jones and the Crystal Skull.

Person #1 Aaahh!

Person #2 How big was it?

#1 It was huge!

#2 Good.

#1 What do you mean good?!?

#2 THe bigger they are the less poisonous they are.

THis actually true about scorpions. Add to that, most SMALL bugs. That means 1/8 to 1/4 inch or smaller. Most bigger ones won't hurt very bad beyond a making you sick or having a painful rash for a few days. :D:laughing:

Here's a good idea: Put a pullable firecracker in the waterproof cache with a camera so that when they open it, the firecracker will explode, and the camera will get a picture.

I'll have to remember to be extra careful when geocaching around Orem...

I don't think it is a good idea to try to, erm, reduce the average age of geocachers through cardiac arrests. Another way to look at it is that such caches will be more likely to be vandalized by a geocacher who doesn't appreciate your practical joke.

Not a deliberate booby trap, but I found a surprise in an ammo can cache that hadn't been found for 2 and half years.

It was on its side, and the fine roots of the tree had penetrated the lid gasket, wicking water into the body.

I did notice the roots tearing as I lifted the can, but wasn't expecting the cache to be partially full of water and smelling absolutely foul. I couldn't get the scent off my hands either.

In a cache I had found a package marked "caution rattlesnake eggs" When I opened it, the package rattled like a rattle snake. In the package was a paper clip with a rubber band wound around it so when you opened the package the paperclip would spin fast and hit the envelope and make noise like a rattlesnake. The sad thing was I knew what was coming but it still scared the ;) out of me.

Funny, until a cacher with heart issues clutches his chest and drops dead.

I did it was in the middle of a winter freeze i was looking for a cache in MO. it was named the remote control cache or something i don't remember and im with my uncle he geocaches too ,once we got to the cache it was hard to open because it was froze over so we finally we got it open and all there was is a remote control and some little girl toys we found out that it was the battery socket that has the log in it son i tried to open it and couldn't because it was froze over then my cousin tried and couldn't then my uncle said "You Girl Scouts cant even open a battery socket,weak" then he grabbed it out of my cousin's hand and tried but failed after 20 minutes i started to turn blue and everything to go numb i started to worry my cousin did to after 5 more minutes they finally got it open with a stick and fund out that someone took the log and they started to put it back and my cousin realized that it was on the bottom of the remote controller

I did it was in the middle of a winter freeze i was looking for a cache in MO. it was named the remote control cache or something i don't remember and im with my uncle he geocaches too ,once we got to the cache it was hard to open because it was froze over so we finally we got it open and all there was is a remote control and some little girl toys we found out that it was the battery socket that has the log in it son i tried to open it and couldn't because it was froze over then my cousin tried and couldn't then my uncle said "You Girl Scouts cant even open a battery socket,weak" then he grabbed it out of my cousin's hand and tried but failed after 20 minutes i started to turn blue and everything to go numb i started to worry my cousin did to after 5 more minutes they finally got it open with a stick and fund out that someone took the log and they started to put it back and my cousin realized that it was on the bottom of the remote controller

Whew!!! That was one humongous sentence!! :D

Funny, until a cacher with heart issues clutches his chest and drops dead.

It's called sadism. Unfortunately, there do seem to be sadistic geocachers. If I found a cache like that, I would beat it with a rock, until it stops. Then beat it a few more times to make sure.

It's called sadism. Unfortunately, there do seem to be sadistic geocachers. If I found a cache like that, I would beat it with a rock, until it stops. Then beat it a few more times to make sure.

Sadism seems to run deep with geocachers. Whether its a shock of your life with the find or just a cache hidden where it takes an act of gawd to find it, its sadistic.

Of course, there are those masochists who live to find such caches. Many who will be scared half to death will enjoy finding the cache.

To each their own. :D

Ok, the fire cracker one was maybe a bit much, but I think a cache that makes a noise when opened sounds freaking hilarious. I think some cachers woke up on the wrongside of the bed today.

I hope I run into one filled with spiders one day. The look on my brother's face would be priceless...