Caches you refuse to log a Found it on.

I personally don't get why someone would mark a find on a cache they helped hide, but I don't judge other folks logging ethics too harshly.

I'll be doing this sometime in the near future.

In 2005, I helped my daughter hide a multi, offering guidance when asked.

I have not been back. I have no clue where the cache is, nor do I have any clue where any of the stages are.

I figure some day she'll call me, asking me to do maintenance on it. If so, I'll have to work through all the stages, and find the final.

Sounds like a find to me... :(

...I only did it to be a jerk to the CO....

So who else does and why?

Generally I find the following reasons for not logging online.

Casual Cachers like my parents. They enjoy it but only go when I bring them. They don't have an account and don't log.

Ghosts. Those who refuse to be seen online. They like caching but paranoid enough about logging online (pick your reason) to where they don't.

Statophobes. Love caching. Hate states. Count them out.

Drama Queens. Don't log, but make a production out of not logging to be jerks to someone. In other words they let the world know they found the cache but won't log.

Procrastinators. Behind on their logs. They have great intentions of catching up, but...haven't.

Silent Cachers. Log in the cache log, but not online. Not paranoid but not their cup of tea.

I'm sure I've left one or more types out. But then they won't mind that.

Presonally I can be a procrastinator. I dont like logging "TFTC" but these says having something to say more than that isn't so easy. The only other caches I won't log are the ones I didn't hunt.

I personally don't get why someone would mark a find on a cache they helped hide, but I don't judge other folks logging ethics too harshly.

I'll be doing this sometime in the near future.

In 2005, I helped my daughter hide a multi, offering guidance when asked.

I have not been back. I have no clue where the cache is, nor do I have any clue where any of the stages are.

I figure some day she'll call me, asking me to do maintenance on it. If so, I'll have to work through all the stages, and find the final.

Sounds like a find to me... :(

Funny you bring that up. I've had co hiders on a couple of caches beyond my normal radius. Both co-hiders thought they knew the cache well enough to find it later unaided. When the time came. Neither could.

Because you might not find out it's a turd till you locate it?

Not of certainty any kind of savin' grace, that. Some folks can't distinguish the diff.

(As, I believe, has been adequately demonstrated in here, many times over!)

Even if not for that, don't forget there's several brands of this product on the market:

turd-polish.jpg . TurdPolish3cen.jpg . ucf_turd_polish.gif

(As, I believe, has been adequately demonstrated in here, many times over.)

~*

If I think your cache isn't good enough for me, why would I bother even looking for it?

There is CO with a series that I will ignore, those don't belong on my refuse to log list because I wont have attempted to find them. I will make an attempt to find other caches by that CO when I'm near one (as long as they ain't microes) to verify that the CO only hides turd microes.

Not of certainty any kind of savin' grace, that. Some folks can't distinguish the diff.

(As, I believe, has been adequately demonstrated in here, many times over!)

Even if not for that, don't forget there's several brands of this product on the market:

turd-polish.jpg . TurdPolish3cen.jpg . ucf_turd_polish.gif

(As, I believe, has been adequately demonstrated in here, many times over.)

~*

Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman proved it could be done! :(

If I sign the log (or some facsimile thereof) in the cache, I log it! Most of my finds are with my caching partner. We go out caching together. It's a joint effort. The same goes for our Maine Invasion last summer. My sister, my brother, my caching partner and I spent a week wandering about Maine. A group effort (and one heck of a fun vacation!) But a group effort. I'm not about to not log the cache because my brother found it before I did! We all found it, all of our signatures are in the log (Okay. One cacher signed for all.)

Likewise, we often come across other cachers at cache sites. Most recently was yesterday. We saw three people acting strangely near a tree. As we approached and they walked away, I said "If that was the geocache, it should be easy to find!" The response was "Hope you left the next one easy for us to find!" Nice meeting the cachers from Pa!

I do not log caches that I haven't found, haven't signed the log, or not met the requirements for.

I do log events. They are listed as caches. I do not log temporary event caches. They are not listed as caches.

I do not log caches that I've hidden, or caches that I've helped hide, even though they show up on my map.

I didn't understand the snarky comments either. Seems like with some people we are damned if we don't and damned if we do. So that means you need to go with what you believe and don't worry about the snarky people. :D
When the OP gave his stated reason for doing this as 'to be a jerk to the CO', he set himself up for snarky replies. That being said, if someone chooses not to log a find, why should I care? I log all of mine (unless I forget).
I don't mid the snark as long as they ultimately answer my question, once they fail to do that they are revealing the that they cant see past their nose. In fact me being a jerk towards my brother and somebody taking issue with it reveals something sinister in them. Ya know when it is point blank obvious it's my brother, they should automatically assume the best until I start speaking vulgarities about him and or trash his reputation, he punked me, I punked him back, woopty doo. I knew that there are people who will try to make mountains out of mole but I hope they would at least be capable of answering.

Oh well :( Maybe now they will see fit to add something constructive or not bother posting.

I DOUBT IT. :)

Was that irony? Can I have a ruling? Edited by sbell111

In most cases, it's not hard to figure out when to log a find, dnf, or just a note, but there are times when i have to make a personal decision of how to handle it.

For me, the no brainers go like this:

• I log finds on all caches that i find and sign the log without aid from other cachers. (even the lame, imo, ones)

• I log finds on caches that i find with a group, even if i don't spot the container first.

• I log finds on caches that are in the process of being found/signed/rehidden by another cacher when i arrive to gz.

• I log finds on caches that are in need of maintenance, container there with wet log, etc,, .

• I do not log finds on my own hides.

• I do not log finds on caches that i helped hide and know where they are hidden.

• I do not log finds on temporary event caches.

• I do not log finds on caches that are missing, even if i think i'm 100% sure i know where it was hidden.

The not so clear, iffy and have to make a decision on per instance are:

• Logging a find on a puzzle cache that i didn't completely solve myself. (this sometimes occurs when i'm caching with a group).

• Logging a find when the cache is in dire need of maintenance, pieces of container found, shredded piece of log, etc,,, (depends on how much of the cache is still intact)

As far as not logging a cache because i didn't like it,, that's not likely to happen. Some of the fun of caching for me is having my stats reflect my caching experiences correctly. Not logging a legitimate find would screw all of this up.

Y'know....the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of just logging my found caches IN the cache, & not doing it online AT ALL!!! It's a definite, indisputable record of my visit to that cache....and that's all I & Geocaching really needs!

Not that it's any kind've 'original thought'.....but I can see several positive reasons for doing so.

Holdin' onto that thought!

~*

I didn't understand the snarky comments either. Seems like with some people we are damned if we don't and damned if we do. So that means you need to go with what you believe and don't worry about the snarky people. :ph34r:
When the OP gave his stated reason for doing this as 'to be a jerk to the CO', he set himself up for snarky replies. That being said, if someone chooses not to log a find, why should I care? I log all of mine (unless I forget).
I don't mid the snark as long as they ultimately answer my question, once they fail to do that they are revealing the that they cant see past their nose. In fact me being a jerk towards my brother and somebody taking issue with it reveals something sinister in them. Ya know when it is point blank obvious it's my brother, they should automatically assume the best until I start speaking vulgarities about him and or trash his reputation, he punked me, I punked him back, woopty doo. I knew that there are people who will try to make mountains out of mole but I hope they would at least be capable of answering.

Oh well :) Maybe now they will see fit to add something constructive or not bother posting.

I DOUBT IT. :ph34r:

Was that irony? Can I have a ruling?

B)

Y'know....the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of just logging my found caches IN the cache, & not doing it online AT ALL!!! It's a definite, indisputable record of my visit to that cache....and that's all I & Geocaching really needs!

Not that it's any kind've 'original thought'.....but I can see several positive reasons for doing so.

~*

What about what the CO deserves? One of the main reasons to hide a cache is to get the feedback from the finders, even if its just a note.

~*

What about what the CO deserves? One of the main reasons to hide a cache is to get the feedback from the finders, even if its just a note.

A note. Like.........in a logbook or somethin'? Good plan! - think I'll go with your idea!!

:)

~*

If you go to my profile you will see I have a list of caches that I know where they are but refuse to log a "found it" on. I have even given a short explanation as to why. Each one revolves around somebody finding it just before me, removing my ability to actually find it in its intended location. Well there is one "Larp_mans first" but I only did it to be a jerk to the CO.

Statistically I can not be the only person that refuses to log when the location is known without being the finder.

I think you sound more childish than my 9 year old daughter, but who am I to judge. If you don't want to log a cache, don't.

I can think of one good reason: You were "there" and so you signed the log. This goes with the concept that many caches are actually not "found." Have you ever cached with a group when someone besides you find the cache? Did you sign it even though you didn't actually find it? It's the exact same difference. Doing this also gets that cache out of your PQs because the filter to remove "caches I own" doesn't work because you don't own it.
I can think of one good reason: You were "there" and so you signed the log. This goes with the concept that many caches are actually not "found." Have you ever cached with a group when someone besides you find the cache? Did you sign it even though you didn't actually find it? It's the exact same difference. Doing this also gets that cache out of your PQs because the filter to remove "caches I own" doesn't work because you don't own it.

Paint the situation anyway you want, we all know the difference.

edit: typo

Edited by BlueDeuce

Paint the situation anyway you want, we all know the difference.

edit: typo

I'm not painting anything. I just get sick of the judgmental attitudes on these threads sometimes. :rolleyes:

I guess what it really comes down to is that sibling rivalries belong between siblings and not in the forums. Honestly, we all have sibling rivalries from time to time but most know how to keep them private. The forums are to discuss caching and (hopefully) focus on the positive side of it. If you choose not to log the caches, that's your choice.

I guess what it really comes down to is that sibling rivalries belong between siblings and not in the forums. Honestly, we all have sibling rivalries from time to time but most know how to keep them private. The forums are to discuss caching and (hopefully) focus on the positive side of it. If you choose not to log the caches, that's your choice.

#1. Are you capable of answering my original question?

#2.The only reason any sibling rivalry was mentioned was for honesty's sake. You know, I was pointing out one cache that under normal circumstance I would refuse to log and the reason why, so that nobody could say "I went through all of your finds, why did you log GC1EYBW if you claim to only log what you found?"

#3. Are we suppose to spew details at a nauseatingly over done level so that those of the lowest common denominator can understand?

I'm starting to believe so, but that would insult those of normal or better than normal inelegance.

If you go to my profile you will see I have a list of caches that I know where they are but refuse to log a "found it" on. I have even given a short explanation as to why. Each one revolves around somebody finding it just before me, removing my ability to actually find it in its intended location. Well there is one "Larp_mans first" but I only did it to be a jerk to the CO.

Statistically I can not be the only person that refuses to log when the location is known without being the finder.

I think you sound more childish than my 9 year old daughter, but who am I to judge. If you don't want to log a cache, don't.

I may sound childish to you but do you truly want to know what I think about you inability to understand what this topic is truly about and contribute appropriately?

~*

A note. Like.........in a logbook or somethin'? Good plan! - think I'll go with your idea!!

:laughing:

~*

How about a note online? That's what I was referring to. Otherwise, why hide a cache if no one is going to hunt it ? Or why have online logging if no one logs online? Don't want to log online? * shrugs* Your call.

my oldest brother died in 2002 before we discovered caching. i almost lost another brother in january.

if you're going to go through life thinking your brother is a jerk just because of caching differences, then you have a serious problem. i would give almost anything to have my brother back. i'm just glad we were close and i don't have to spend the rest of my life regretting anything about our relationship.

If I think your cache isn't good enough for me, why would I bother even looking for it?

This is the case for me. I did a bunch of urbans this past weekend. We found some pretty good ones but it's impossible to tell which ones would be the lemons for me before actually finding them. Plus my buddy likes lemons because they are good for his numbers. That's fine with me but I'm not logging them. :laughing:

#1. Are you capable of answering my original question?

#2.The only reason any sibling rivalry was mentioned was for honesty's sake. You know, I was pointing out one cache that under normal circumstance I would refuse to log and the reason why, so that nobody could say "I went through all of your finds, why did you log GC1EYBW if you claim to only log what you found?"

#3. Are we suppose to spew details at a nauseatingly over done level so that those of the lowest common denominator can understand?

I'm starting to believe so, but that would insult those of normal or better than normal inelegance.

1. Yes I am capable. I have yet to not log a cache that I have located. However, I can see valid reasons why people may not log certain ones. Maybe if they feel a cache violates a belief they may have or see something that they feel is wrong in doing it. Their choice and I respect that. The beauty of geocaching is that EVERYONE can do it their own way.

2. I mentioned the sibling rivalry because you made some comment in your profile such as "Did not log because my sibling is a jerk." I was stating the fact that many people don't care to see that and does make you look childish. That is my right to say that, such as it is your right to put the comments in your profile.

3. No more spewing here... In fact, I don't think I ever was. You started a thread, I responded. I don't think I ever had any hostility at all. If you took it that way, I apologize.

On a personal note, being the oldest of six, I do hope that you and your brother work things out (as someone else had mentioned). Life is too short to let caching or other recreational fun activities get in the way of family.

Not the same thing but events turn my stomach. In our area people log them over and over ad nauseam. I know its just a game but it seems so inaccurate to me. This is partly the reason why we don't attend events. We went to one event and we tried to read the logs for those who attended. Instead there were hundreds and hundreds of logs by the same people.

Found cache 1

Found cache 2

Found cache 3

Found cache 4

Found cache 5

Found cache 6

Found cache 7

Found cache 8

Found cache 9

Found cache 10

Found cache 11

Found cache 12

*barf*

Not the same thing but events turn my stomach. In our area people log them over and over ad nauseam. I know its just a game but it seems so inaccurate to me. This is partly the reason why we don't attend events. We went to one event and we tried to read the logs for those who attended. Instead there were hundreds and hundreds of logs by the same people.

Found cache 1

Found cache 2

Found cache 3

Found cache 4

Found cache 5

Found cache 6

Found cache 7

Found cache 8

Found cache 9

Found cache 10

Found cache 11

Found cache 12

*barf*

:laughing: It's not funny but I can't help myself. I'm glad we don't have that issue out here... Edited by TrailGators

You seem to have a very harsh attitude for someone with 9 months in the game and less than 100 caches.

If you don't like running into other cacher's get out of town and go seek remote caches. We have a couple of hundred cache's with-in 10 miles of our home and we'll probably never visit most of these. Caching in town doesn't appeal to us most of the time, but we do some becuase it takes us to urban parks and trails we would otherwise not discover. Logging 20-50 cahces a day doesn't appeal to us. We are more interested in the area, than the specific cache.

A couple of my favorites are GCQZRC and GCHYQ6. We look for caches like this because they are unique and out of the way. You need to dedicate a whole day to doing each of these caches. Look at the log's. Unlikely you will run into anyone else.

We even placed a cache like this GC1B7K2.

We've also found cache's that weren't published yet seeking to hide a cache, and had an unpublished cache of ours GCVC9G found by another cacher before it was published.

This is just a fun game that often leads to interesting places you might not otherwise find.

If you run into another cacher, rather than get upset, say hi, visit awhile and make a new friend. Join a club, many cachers are just cool folks.

Chill out and enjoy the game.

f9e95d2c-cd58-4c20-badc-f0c37b3727d6.jpg

Just curious...is that a squished toonie?? Very neat signature item!! :laughing:

I have some toonies, but I haven't squished them yet. I got them from a RCMP I attended a class with. Mounties are cool.

Actually, it's a peso... Or a Dos Peso. Those are my XLE sig items. Feel fortunate if you get your hands on one. I only made about 100 and most of them are STILL in my posession. I generally only give one to someone who trades a geocoin for one of my coin sets.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Edited by Snoogans

I found a cache (or in any case know where it is) and didn't log it because I thought it was a horrendous placement — one had to pass right by people's windows and porch to get to it. Didn't want to encourage that sort of thing. It wasn't out of spite—I'm not a particularly spiteful person—I just thought it wasn't a good cache placement.

Jeannette

Found cache 1

Found cache 2

Found cache 3

Found cache 4

Found cache 5

Found cache 6

Found cache 7

Found cache 8

Found cache 9

Found cache 10

Found cache 11

Found cache 12

*barf*

Huh? You seem to be claiming that logging multiple finds on events that one has attended is somehow bad or undesirable, at least in your book. Amazing! Who would have known? Using an automated PERL script, I regularly log anywhere from 10,000 to 400,000 attended/find logs on each event that I have attended, based simply upon the entirely legitimate, solid, established and defensible premise that I deserve an attended/find log for every microsecond that I was present at the event. And then, when you factor in my multiple personalities (each of whom also has their own accounts at Groundspeak and here on the forum), and realize that each of these personalities deserves to log an attended/find log as well, it all adds up to a large number of entirely legitimate attended/find logs! I love this sport!

I think you have lost sight of the fact that this is just a game.

If you don't want your brother or caching partner to find it first, CACHE ALONE. Sounds like it might make the trip more fun for everyone.

This pretty much sums it up. I just started last week with my daughter. Now, she's leary of reaching into certain spots and I am leary of her doing it as well sometimes, but regardless of which of us found/grabbed the cache, we were still happy that we found it.

I don't understand the people on here that are so anal about things. Not logging DNFs. Not logging finds. Seriously, (sorry for taking it to the extreme) if you die tomorrow or become unable to geocache for some reason, who do you think is going to care about your DNFs, find total, or "virtual stats"?

I know I'm a newb to the game, but this goes beyond this game. As cliche as it is, life IS short. Don't waste it by worrying about petty things.

Found cache 1

Found cache 2

Found cache 3

Found cache 4

Found cache 5

Found cache 6

Found cache 7

Found cache 8

Found cache 9

Found cache 10

Found cache 11

Found cache 12

*barf*

Yup, it takes away from the enjoyment of reading the logs of people who actually attended the event becasue you can't actually find them.

Besides since whent do we log that we attended a cache? Don't we find them?

Huh? You seem to be claiming that logging multiple finds on events that one has attended is somehow bad or undesirable, at least in your book. Amazing! Who would have known? Using an automated PERL script, I regularly log anywhere from 10,000 to 400,000 attended/find logs on each event that I have attended, based simply upon the entirely legitimate, solid, established and defensible premise that I deserve an attended/find log for every microsecond that I was present at the event. And then, when you factor in my multiple personalities (each of whom also has their own accounts at Groundspeak and here on the forum), and realize that each of these personalities deserves to log an attended/find log as well, it all adds up to a large number of entirely legitimate attended/find logs! I love this sport!

So then does an occult hand reach down from above and smack you upside the head?

I've found a couple of caches that a critter had dragged out of its hiding spot. There it was right out on the ground. Not much of a challenge to find but I log them anyway and put them back in what I assume to be the immediate best hide if I can. There was one I could not.

I've found a couple of caches that a critter had dragged out of its hiding spot. There it was right out on the ground. Not much of a challenge to find but I log them anyway and put them back in what I assume to be the immediate best hide if I can. There was one I could not.

HEAVENS TO BETSY!!!! you can't call those a find!!! those critters were probably doing the 'happy finders dance' just before you found the caches.

shame on you for logging a find. that deserves a smackin'. smack.gif

HEAVENS TO BETSY!!!! you can't call those a find!!! those critters were probably doing the 'happy finders dance' just before you found the caches.

:D

wha??? it did!!!

:mad:

wha??? it did!!!

I'd have logged two finds...one for me and one for the critter... :D

:huh:

wha??? it did!!!

I'd have logged two finds...one for me and one for the critter... :mad:

Found cache 1

Found cache 2

Found cache 3

Found cache 4

Found cache 5

Found cache 6

Found cache 7

Found cache 8

Found cache 9

Found cache 10

Found cache 11

Found cache 12

*barf*

I think they should give every cacher a find count of a googolplex! :D

QUOTE(Vater_Araignee @ Mar 8 2009, 08:00 AM)

I am sure those geocaches are wailing out in silent agony over the fact you refuse to log them in.

3. No more spewing here... In fact, I don't think I ever was. You started a thread, I responded. I don't think I ever had any hostility at all. If you took it that way, I apologize.

On a personal note, being the oldest of six, I do hope that you and your brother work things out (as someone else had mentioned). Life is too short to let caching or other recreational fun activities get in the way of family.

I wasn't accusing you of spewing detail, I was accusing you and others of making me feel as if I had to explain things like I would to my son because he can't grasp subtle detail yet.

As for me and my brother, we just don't cache together :rolleyes: Everything else is hunkydorry.

You seem to have a very harsh attitude for someone with 9 months in the game and less than 100 caches.

Once again, somebody who thinks they are in the know because they looked at my profile.

OHHHH I'm using a GPSr and getting my coords online instead of a map and a mailing list so I must know absolutely nothing about the activity I have been doing since I was a child even though having a GPSr for the last year has made it even easier.

As for the rest of you who have tried to twist my personal ethic into something negative, up yours.

If any of you took the time to read rather than scan the thread, you would see that there are very valid reasons to not log a cache outside of my ethic.

I'll make this as clear as possible, I begrudge nobody else logging a find if they find the cache in somebodies hand. It is my personal ethic, one that I don't take issue with, nor will anyone ever make me.

I am perfectly capable of making an a** of myself and you pitiful attempts are unwanted.

You want to look down on me because I refuse to sign and log because I saw the cache in somebodies hand, that is fine, I'm sure there are plenty of people who unlike me will take issue with you for the opposite. Go try to pick a fight with them rather than perk my ire.

So now we have:

• saw it being rehidden.
  • being removed from its hiding spot.
  • cache owner
  • helped hide it
  • was present during its original hide
  • wont log events
  • no involvement in the hunt
  • isn't in the personal minimum rating
  • dislikes this "type of cache" wile hunting with somebody that does
  • didn't have fun
  • simply wont log online