Harassment by Cache Owner- What are my options?

Lady Coot

Hi,

My partner and I recently completed three Earthcaches belonging to one cacher. We sent emails and logged our finds. He replied that we did a great job.

He has deleted our logs 4 times and has now sent me harassing emails.

The purpose of Earthcaching is to provide some educational experience, however, this cache owner has made this nearly impossible.

Why did he delete my logs? The reasons are numerous and contrived:

They weren't in English

The photo was too close to the formation

He would not let me know why.

I really don't know.

Is there someone at Groundspeak who can help mediate?

Thank you

(Edited after I calmed down.... Thank you)

Edited by Lady Coot

Good Idea!

Here are my logs...

1. Earthcache

geo-geous day (ha!) to be here! a similar thought was had by our closest 50,000 friends! Isis will send email with photo. TFTC

Your log entry for the listing (Earthcache) was deleted by __________

The photo of us was attached to my partner, Isis' log, and not mine.

So I re-logged and submitted my picture attached to my log

caching with isis on this day. here is my picture, again!

Again it was deleted,

I logged it a 3rd time and the owner has encrypted my log but has not deleted it.

2. Earthcache

very cool spot.. i was hestitant to try the water as it looks like a place neerdowell young teenage boys might be up to trouble... but i tried it anyway...isis will email the answers

Your log entry for the listing (Earthcache) was deleted by __________ at 1/4/2009 6:55:09 AM

I logged this a second time with the same log and uploaded a photo attached to my log and not Isis'

The owner has encrypted it.

3. Earthcache

this formation and twin owls in RMNP are 2 of my favs! Isis will be sending emails and pix. tftc

Your log entry for the listing (Earthcache) was deleted by _______

Again, the picture of us was attached to Isis' log. I then noticed that the owner owns many ECs and figured that he was deleting all logs without photos, so I tried to upload photos and the Groundspeak photo server was down for service. I emailed the cache owner and let him know that the problem was out of my hands but that I would upload photos as soon as work on the server was completed.

Your log entry for the listing (Earthcache) was deleted by _______

I logged a third time:

relogging this find

email sent

see picture

and was able to upload a photo.

Then I received this email:

Lady coot

I am asking you to please correctly log a EarthCache I own.

GC191NM clealry states to have the kissing camels in the back ground. Your posted a picture does not reflect that.

I will give you five days to post a correct pictrure for GC191NM. At the end of 5 days, if not corrected, I will delete the log 14 Januanry at 0945 eastern time.

I have forwarded this email to EarthCache society.

Thank you for understanding.

To which I replied:

Hi ________,

The base of the formation Kissing Camels is in the background of the picture I posted. From the cache coordinates provided, one can not fully see the formation. One has to proceed further up. On the day that we were there the area was closed for re-vegetation.

Please forward this email to EarthCache society as well.

Lady Coot

And then I received this email

5 days...

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

My partner's had an Austrian idiomatic expression in it, it was about the art of the mountains.

Bflentje.... I know and i hate to do that.. but I can not follow his arguments so I am left thinking that it must be based on something illogical. Like an "ism"

I really don't want to point fingers (which is why I've left his name off-)

I will not seek any more of his caches, I just want him to stop harassing my partner and I and leave our logs for these 3 caches alone and then we can all move on with our lives!!

**sheesh!!**

From the email you sent, it clearly states you did not fullfill the requirement, he has every right to delete the log.

With regard to the other Earthcaches, the obvious way to ensure not getting deleted is to have you friend send you the pictures so both of you can post individually. This maybe overly anal but would help with fullfill the the vomplete requirements of the log.

From the letter and logs, the CO does NOT seem to be prejudicial in any way, shape or form.

Well, at least one of the caches states:

To get credit for the find post a picture of you (face included) with GPS in hand and the Kissing Camels rock formation in background
and the associated picture does not have the formation:

a2f98c6a-f830270f32.jpg

I do find the following statement on each of the cache pages interesting:

PLEASE READ! BEING A OWNER OF ANY CACHE TYPE CAN BE A JOURNEY IN ITSELF WITH THE VISITORS WHO LOG THE CACHES, BE IT A GOOD EXPERIENCE OR BAD. I AM NOW REQUIRING LOG ENTRIES ONLY IN ENGLISH EFFECTIVE 8 JANUARY 2009. IF YOU LOG THE EC IN ANY LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH, I AM ASKING FOR YOU TO TRANSLATE THE LANGUAGE TO ME THROUGH EMAIL BEFORE POSTING. IF YOU USE ACRONYMS ONLY KNOWN TO YOURSELF, AGAIN I AM ASKING FOR A DEFINITION BEFORE POSTING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE POSTED LOGGING REQUIREMENTS WILL RESULT IN A LOG DELETION.
Seems your logs predate the CO's requirement. However, seeing as you know this is a sore spot with the cache owner, why would your partner continue to post:
icon_smile.gifDecember 28, 2008 by isisfan (1715 found)

Es nimmt Stärke, um leicht zu sein und Art.

le 3ème temps est un charme

Not that I speak either language, but that appears to be German and French. Why? Edit: Ahh... Austrian... Edited by Too Tall John

All right- that is completely fair.. I was reacting from an emotional place.

Thank you butta and steve for talking me down...

Every time I check my emails I seem to have another communication from him. It feels like harassment.

But you are correct at this point no law has been broken. I am just frustrated and don't know what to do.

I'm just trying to figure out why he deleted my logs so I can make it stop!

PLEASE READ! BEING A OWNER OF ANY CACHE TYPE CAN BE A JOURNEY IN ITSELF WITH THE VISITORS WHO LOG THE CACHES, BE IT A GOOD EXPERIENCE OR BAD. I AM NOW REQUIRING LOG ENTRIES ONLY IN ENGLISH EFFECTIVE 8 JANUARY 2009. IF YOU LOG THE EC IN ANY LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH, I AM ASKING FOR YOU TO TRANSLATE THE LANGUAGE TO ME THROUGH EMAIL BEFORE POSTING. IF YOU USE ACRONYMS ONLY KNOWN TO YOURSELF, AGAIN I AM ASKING FOR A DEFINITION BEFORE POSTING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE POSTED LOGGING REQUIREMENTS WILL RESULT IN A LOG DELETION.

Seems kind of arrogant.. yelling also..

What next perfect spelling, sentence structure and punctuation ?

Picture composition, correct lighting, being in focus ?

Every time I check my emails I seem to have another communication from him. It feels like harassment.

But you are correct at this point no law has been broken. I am just frustrated and don't know what to do.

He has only encrypted some logs and not deleted all of them, meaning the encrypted ones are still holding your smiley but are just not readily readable by people who do not wish to read spoilers. This should mean that your log contains some information that the CO considers important to remain concealed. He seems to be deleting your logs because they aren't in compliance with the logging requirements. These requirements also seem to be important to the integrity of the logs on his cache. You might consider reviewing the other logs, if you haven't already, so if you wish to be compliant, you will know how to be uniform.

Personally, and this is just my personal opinion, I don't believe all logs have to be in English. I think an English translation would be courteous but free internet resources exist to give a translation that's comprehensible if the cache owner (or any readers of the log) do not know the language. A log that has an idiomatic expression may not be relevant to the cache and considering what was already happening in this tug-o-war, I can see a log with irrelevant content being deleted because it has irrelevant content and the cache owner is becoming less patient as more logs come in, not because it was in a non-English language. Strike that last bit. I hadn't read where the cache owner had totally lost his mind at reading a language that wasn't his native language. A bit uppity and xenophobic, isn't it? Yeah, "English Only" declarations aren't something I can support in good conscience.

You seem to have the control here. You can (1) re-enter your log in compliance with the requests of the cache owner; or (2) forget logging the cache and move on. The choice is yours what you want to do. You aren't going to make someone else do anything - as an adult, you know life just doesn't work that way - so this is less of a question of what to do about the cache owner and more about what you want to do at this point.

Good luck to you with whatever you and your friend decide.

Edited by Redneck Parrotheads

That's the problem with emotions. They always get in the way of reality, er, I mean, logic.

He has only encrypted some logs and not deleted all of them, meaning the encrypted ones are still holding your smiley but are just not readily readable by people who do not wish to read spoilers. This should mean that your log contains some information that the CO considers important to remain concealed. He seems to be deleting your logs because they aren't in compliance with the logging requirements. These requirements also seem to be important to the integrity of the logs on his cache. You might consider reviewing the other logs, if you haven't already, so if you wish to be compliant, you will know how to be uniform.

Personally, and this is just my personal opinion, I don't believe all logs have to be in English. I think an English translation would be courteous but free internet resources exist to give a translation that's comprehensible if the cache owner (or any readers of the log) do not know the language. A log that has an idiomatic expression may not be relevant to the cache and considering what was already happening in this tug-o-war, I can see a log with irrelevant content being deleted because it has irrelevant content and the cache owner is becoming less patient as more logs come in, not because it was in a non-English language.

You seem to have the control here. You can (1) re-enter your log in compliance with the requests of the cache owner; or (2) forget logging the cache and move on. The choice is yours what you want to do. You aren't going to make someone else do anything - as an adult, you know life just doesn't work that way - so this is less of a question of what to do about the cache owner and more about what you want to do at this point.

Good luck to you with whatever you and your friend decide.

It all goes back to the fact that we ALL play the game different. Boy, if that isn't diversity, I don't know what is.

Technically, the cache owner can delete logs at his or her discretion. Personally, I think they are wound just a tad too tight. :)

Living in Maine, it is not uncommon to get logs on our caches, written in French, from the vacationers from Quebec. It is easy enough to cut and paste the log into Babelfish. It doesn't matter to us what language folks write their logs in, we're just happy to have people seeking and finding our caches! Isn't that the main point of hiding them? :blink:

Babelfish

(Edited to add Babelfish link.)

(& spelling)

Edited by team moxiepup

I don't like getting logs with other than english and I am far too lazy (and don't really know where to look) to change logs to english if written otherwise! If the owner wants these things, that's their choice! While I'd not delete the posts, I might ask for translation. You might keep in mind some people are pretty much computer ignorant!!!

Technically, the cache owner can delete logs at his or her dicretion. Personally, I think they are wound just a tad too tight. :)

...we're just happy to have people seeking and finding our caches! Isn't that the main point of hiding them? :blink:

Not that I disagree completely, but as an EC owner who gets all kinds of incomplete, partial, or just plain wrong logs on the cache:

It is fun to get logs on the cache, but it is no fun at all to have to decide if the guy who sent all the information you could possibly want about the site except for the required info to log the cache gets to keep their smiley. To alleviate some of that stress, I follow the same set of rules for every log. They don't meet them, they get an email asking to change, then the log goes away if they don't fix it. No decision needs to be made, I made it already.

And I only have 1 EC, the CO in question has 146 he's got to keep track of. Wow. :laughing:

Edit: Clipped quote so it would be more obvious what I was speaking about.

Edited by Too Tall John
While I'd not delete the posts, I might ask for translation.
Actually, that is exactly what the CO has stated:
IF YOU LOG THE EC IN ANY LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH, I AM ASKING FOR YOU TO TRANSLATE THE LANGUAGE TO ME THROUGH EMAIL BEFORE POSTING. IF YOU USE ACRONYMS ONLY KNOWN TO YOURSELF, AGAIN I AM ASKING FOR A DEFINITION BEFORE POSTING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE POSTED LOGGING REQUIREMENTS WILL RESULT IN A LOG DELETION.
IF YOU LOG THE EC IN ANY LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH, I AM ASKING FOR YOU TO TRANSLATE THE LANGUAGE TO ME THROUGH EMAIL BEFORE POSTING. IF YOU USE ACRONYMS ONLY KNOWN TO YOURSELF, AGAIN I AM ASKING FOR A DEFINITION BEFORE POSTING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE POSTED LOGGING REQUIREMENTS WILL RESULT IN A LOG DELETION.

I know what the CO said, I said "I" wouldn't!

I'd be thrilled to have someone from another country find one of my caches and log in another language. Makes my cache go international!!! Some people are just too d*%& picky. I'd be ignoring that guy's caches in the future and find CO's who are more friendly.

The OP appears to live in Colorado, as does the cache in question.
Technically, the cache owner can delete logs at his or her dicretion. Personally, I think they are wound just a tad too tight. :)

Living in Maine, it is not uncommon to get logs on our caches, written in French, from the vacationers from Quebec. It is easy enough to cut and paste the log into Babelfish. It doesn't matter to us what language folks write their logs in, we're just happy to have people seeking and finding our caches! Isn't that the main point of hiding them? :blink:

Babelfish

(Edited to add Babelfish link.)

TTJ gives a perfect example of why this isn't necessarily a simple solution:
Not that I speak either language, but that appears to be German and French. Why? Edit: Ahh... Austrian...
If you can't ID the language or babelfish doesn't translate it, you are stuck. Of course, this ignores the fact that babelfish does a horrible job of translating.
Actually, you said you would ask for a translation, so did the CO.
IF YOU LOG THE EC IN ANY LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH, I AM ASKING FOR YOU TO TRANSLATE THE LANGUAGE TO ME THROUGH EMAIL BEFORE POSTING.
Edited by Too Tall John

I'd be thrilled to have someone from another country find one of my caches and log in another language. Makes my cache go international!!! Some people are just too d*%& picky. I'd be ignoring that guy's caches in the future and find CO's who are more friendly.

And that is "your" choice as an owner! Since this owner feels differently, we can only go by the requirements put forth by this owner! If the owner feels something wasn't done right, then they can delete if they choose!! Not being able to see the required pic, not being able to read the log seems like god reasons to me, apparently , the owner felt the same!

As I said, I might not delete, but I'd certainly ask you to make the logs work for "me" (if I were the owner)!

Actually, you said you would ask for a translation, so did the CO.
IF YOU LOG THE EC IN ANY LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH, I AM ASKING FOR YOU TO TRANSLATE THE LANGUAGE TO ME THROUGH EMAIL BEFORE POSTING.

And your point being???? Stop reading what you think you see and read my posts OK?? I said "while I wouldn't delete, I WOULD ask for translation". First you try to tell me what the CO said and then you try to tell me what I said???

Edited by Rockin Roddy

EarthCaches are a special case. With any other cache type the duty of policing logs is solely on the hider. But ECs MUST meet certain criteria to be posted and logs have to be policed or the EarthCache Org can have them archived. So only knowing only what has been posted here I can understand why the hider may have some qualms with the way these were logged. I do hope you both can reach a mutual understanding that gives you your finds and the OP their met requirements.

1. Earthcache

geo-geous day (ha!) to be here! a similar thought was had by our closest 50,000 friends! Isis will send email with photo. TFTC

Your log entry for the listing (Earthcache) was deleted by __________

The photo of us was attached to my partner, Isis' log, and not mine.

So I re-logged and submitted my picture attached to my log

caching with isis on this day. here is my picture, again!

Again it was deleted,

I logged it a 3rd time and the owner has encrypted my log but has not deleted it.

Perhaps the problem is that your logs did not supply ther required information? All the answers seem to be in Isis' logs.

(I get a number of logs in foreign languages. I'm glad that visitors from foreign countries come to visit my caches!)

I think it's reasonable for a cache owner to ask for the answers to an Earthcache or additional logging requirement to be provided in a language which enables them to verify it.

However, since there's typically a requirement in such cases to *not* post the information in a log, this shouldn't normally affect the language of the log. The CO can always send a friendly mail saying "hi, cool that you visited my cache, what language is that? and can you say it in English? thanks!". Or of course the CO is free to choose to be a pre-emptive curmudgeon, with BIG NASTY NOTICES threatening DIRE CONSEQUENCES if you don't DO THINGS HIS WAY.

I think it's reasonable for a cache owner to ask for the answers to an Earthcache or additional logging requirement to be provided in a language which enables them to verify it.

However, since there's typically a requirement in such cases to *not* post the information in a log, this shouldn't normally affect the language of the log. The CO can always send a friendly mail saying "hi, cool that you visited my cache, what language is that? and can you say it in English? thanks!". Or of course the CO is free to choose to be a pre-emptive curmudgeon, with BIG NASTY NOTICES threatening DIRE CONSEQUENCES if you don't DO THINGS HIS WAY.

Keeping in mind we're only seeing one side of this, I would not get worked up about it! Big nasty notices?? Threats of dire consequences?? Did the CO threaten physical harm or something I missed? :blink:

Keeping in mind we're only seeing one side of this, I would not get worked up about it! Big nasty notices?? Threats of dire consequences?? Did the CO threaten physical harm or something I missed? :blink:

Of course the CO didn't threaten physical harm or anything like that.

CAPS usually denotes yelling which gives a tone to text that lends to the assumption that those words are being expressed WITH A LOT OF PASSION AGAINST WHATEVER IT IS THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO EVER SEE. Turning the Caps Lock off, the "English Only" declaration isn't all that monsterous, especially since it instructs translations to be sent via email. I think a number of us would do things differently, but the new instructions aren't unreasonable after we remove the inferred emotive tone which is given through the use of all Caps.

I read a lot of things on here as tongue-in-cheek so "BIG NASTY NOTICES" and "DIRE CONSEQUENCS" weren't taken seriously when I read it, but rather that it was just poking fun at the use of all Caps. I didn't write that comment so I obviously don't know what sTeamTraen meant but that's just how I read it.

Of course the CO didn't threaten physical harm or anything like that.

CAPS usually denotes yelling which gives a tone to text that lends to the assumption that those words are being expressed WITH A LOT OF PASSION AGAINST WHATEVER IT IS THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO EVER SEE. Turning the Caps Lock off, the "English Only" declaration isn't all that monsterous, especially since it instructs translations to be sent via email. I think a number of us would do things differently, but the new instructions aren't unreasonable after we remove the inferred emotive tone which is given through the use of all Caps.

I read a lot of things on here as tongue-in-cheek so "BIG NASTY NOTICES" and "DIRE CONSEQUENCS" weren't taken seriously when I read it, but rather that it was just poking fun at the use of all Caps. I didn't write that comment so I obviously don't know what sTeamTraen meant but that's just how I read it.

Or, it could be the only way the CO knew how to make the note STAND OUT (I often use ALL CAPS when I release a coin and want people to notice that it's supposed to travel)!!! Maybe they already had a note on there that had been missed or ignored before? It could be that the CO doesn't realize all caps is yelling? It's hard to say since we haven't heard from the CO. So, to answer the OP's question, don't let it bother you, either re-log doing what the CO asks or don't and go on happily! :)

My post about the threat of harm and such was merely to point out that people are being overly dramatic about something they really have no idea about! It was also "tongue in cheek"!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Hi,

My partner and I recently completed three Earthcaches belonging to one cacher. We sent emails and logged our finds. He replied that we did a great job.

He has deleted our logs 4 times and has now sent me harassing emails.

The purpose of Earthcaching is to provide some educational experience, however, this cache owner has made this nearly impossible.

Why did he delete my logs? The reasons are numerous and contrived:

They weren't in English

The photo was too close to the formation

He would not let me know why.

I really don't know.

Is there someone at Groundspeak who can help mediate?

Thank you

(Edited after I calmed down.... Thank you)

Can you give an example of what you consider to be "harassing emails"??

Read both posts, still see where she said she felt the emails were harassing. In my opinion, she's calling someone out. I can see who the CO is as well as anyone else who looks, so maybe instead of leaving it looking like she thinks she's being harassed, she might edit that part out of her OP as well??

I agree, she does say she's moving on, doesn't mean the emails were or weren't harassing. If it were me she was talking about, I'd definitely take exception!

CAPS usually denotes yelling which gives a tone to text that lends to the assumption that those words are being expressed WITH A LOT OF PASSION AGAINST WHATEVER IT IS THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO EVER SEE.
Yep.

Another typing style that can seem overly expressive is the excessive use of punctuation.

See what I mean?????

:blink:

I don't like getting logs with other than english and I am far too lazy (and don't really know where to look) to change logs to english if written otherwise! If the owner wants these things, that's their choice! While I'd not delete the posts, I might ask for translation. You might keep in mind some people are pretty much computer ignorant!!!

In the year 2009 I just can't accept that somebody able to figure out how to a) use a GPS receiver, B) sign up for an account on this website, and c) post a cache hide is "computer ignorant" to point of not being able to use "the google on the internets" and find an online translation.

Regardless if they don't recognize the language at first glance.

If a hider is going to make the posting language an ALR then it needs to be listed on the cache page before the hider makes an issue of it. Not after deleting a find it and then adding it to the page.

(I'm not directing that specifically at you, Roddy. I did read that you would ask for a translation and not delete the log.)

Thumbs up to the OP for moving on to other hides and putting it behind her and her partner.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Thanks for reminding us all , why we hate earthcaches. :blink:

Whose day was it to say: Remember this is just a game :)

You are fired.

And best of all Harry Dolphin:

(I get a number of logs in foreign languages. I'm glad that visitors from foreign countries come to visit my caches!)

Harry we live in NJ, those are not foreign languages, and they are not from foreing countries, it is us speaking Joiseee Englitsch . HowUdoinnn?

In the year 2009 I just can't accept that somebody able to figure out how to a) use a GPS receiver, :) sign up for an account on this website, and c) post a cache hide is "computer ignorant" to point of not being able to use "the google on the internets" and find an online translation.

Regardless if they don't recognize the language at first glance.

If a hider is going to make the posting language an ALR then it needs to be listed on the cache page before the hider makes an issue of it. Not after deleting a find it and then adding it to the page.

(I'm not directing that specifically at you, Roddy. I did read that you would ask for a translation and not delete the log.)

Thumbs up to the OP for moving on to other hides and putting it behind her and her partner.

Well, you're responding to one that wouldn't know where to look (except I did see sbell or someone else post something about babel???). I'll be the first to say I'm a bit sloooow! Not only would I not know where to look, I probably wouldn't want to try. I have no idea what language to use in the first place...and I'm not completely clueless as to how to use a computer, some are worse off than I! :blink: My point here, what's easy for some might be impossible or overly taxing for others!! Either way, polite emails would go much further than simply demanding and deleting (not that this is the case here, I've yet to see this being proven)

I agree though, the ALR should be in place pre-requiring...but maybe this is the first time this has come up for the CO??

Edited by Rockin Roddy
Read post #12. It sounds like her original post was made with emotion, and she looked at the situation more calmly later and feels a little differently.

Read post #18 too. It seems that she's already moved on about this.

That's great news. So I suppose the forum discussion should end in another 2-3 pages by Sunday? :blink::)

Read post #12. It sounds like her original post was made with emotion, and she looked at the situation more calmly later and feels a little differently.

Read post #18 too. It seems that she's already moved on about this.

That's great news. So I suppose the forum discussion should end in another 2-3 pages by Sunday? :blink::)

Yes, but only if you are an eternal optimist. I predict another mind-numbing debate that will include the in-depth analysis of a variety of hypothetical situations as well as the long-winded viewpoints of a select few, among others. :laughing:

The English only log req's are not asking too much especially if the CO has to figure out what language the cacher is speaking in.

What is perceived German could very well be Dutch or Africaans, so which translator to use?

I would be very confused if something were written in another language.

It seems the CO was courteous enough to post a note to cacher asking for English, which is the right way to go about it.

Nuff said