Best Micro container

I've never been a fan of micros. Yes, if you check my profile I have hidden some, I'd like to think that none of them are lame, but that's for the community to decide, not me.

Anyway, I'm going to start hiding some more. Why? I live near an awful lot of National Park Service land. My plan is to take the trails through the land, find some sort of sign, and put up some easy multi.

You then compute the coords and head off to the nearest guardrail or Stop sign that is not in NPS land.

I've used magnetic keyholders in the past with waterproof paper. I dislike those tiny buttons things, but they are easy to hide on Stop signs.

I've not yet used the waterproof match containers.

Is there a good consensus on what makes a good micro hide?

PS: Please don't tell me to place full size containers off the NPS land. You don't know my geography. Yes, it is possible but very hard. Most of the land around that isn't NPS land is private property, or water.

Thanks!

Paul

I like the waterproof match container. The one sold at Wally World is orange, not exactly a stealth color, but often that doesn't matter. I have seen it in OD green at military surplus stores and once at a big box chain (sorry I don't remember which). In any case, it's big enough to actually get a stash note at the top of the log, and have enough log to last a while. Second would be bison tubes. Certainly easier to place, smaller, but still large enough to handle (unlike Magnetos). The small ring at the top means they can be tethered, helps cut down the migration. They will require more frequent maintenance - the log will fill, and being small will get mangled, and damp, just from handling.

Bisons or the matchstick containers are the best, however I highly recommend replacing the rubber o-ring with EPDM rings. They will weather *much* better than the orignals.

Do a search for "epdm o-rings" on this site >> www.mcmaster.com

They're very cheap and will save you some maintainence visits.

I like the waterproof match boxes. They are often orange so I just paint them camo colors or use camo duct tape.

Next up are the EZ Dose pill boxes. You can find them in pharmacies. They come in plastic, or metal models.

Finally the Nalgene cryo tubes are quite good if you want something really small.

If you can go a little larger, you can use soda bottle pre-forms, available form several sources (including Steve Spangler Science).

I have one currently underwater (as a cache) and so far no reported problems (of cours ethere have only been 2 finds!).

To paint them, I take some fine grit sandpaper to roughen up the whole tube, then hit it with a couple of coats of Krylon camo spray paint. Works real well.

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Another vote for the waterproof matchstick holder. Rugged, easy to cammo and waterproof. Also the logs can be bigger. We use 7 sheets of 8 1/2x11 cut to 3 1/2" wide and staple them at the top. Probably 25-40 sigs can fit on just one side of the paper times 2 sides times 7 sheets give you a lot of time before needing to replace it.

I used to use like bison tubes, but the log sheets tend to be small and they're harder to roll up for people. Biggest reason is that the rubber o-rings wear out and they rot away, making them not waterproof. Not sure about the rubber rings someone else suggested, but that sounds like a good way to go if they hold up better.

Edited by Skippermark

Another vote for the waterproof matchstick holder. Rugged, easy to cammo and waterproof. Also the logs can be bigger. We use 7 sheets of 8 1/2x11 cut to 3 1/2" wide and staple them at the top. Probably 25-40 sigs can fit on just one side of the paper times 2 sides times 7 sheets give you a lot of time before needing to replace it.

Do you put the log in a plastic zip-lock when you use the matchstick holder?

I use Altoids boxes with a plastic bag inside to hold the log. Unfortunately the boxes rust after a while. I also like to use empty stick deodorant containers... a couple of people have ragged on me for this. But I clean them up very thoroughly and then paint and camouflage them. You can make a hook from some bailing wire to hang them someplace if needed. For camouflage I burlap works well.... as it weathers it looks more like dead foliage. Also acrylic paint is fairly cheap, about $US 1.10 for 2 ounces at craft stores, and it holds up pretty well. You can apply blobs of acrylic latex caulking compound to your container and paint them to look like twigs. Hope this is useful, happy caching!

Any cache but a multi....Too many containers and only one smiley....Why not each cache a traditional with log only? I had one multi and archived it because it did not make sense....I did do a multi lately...It was a mistake...three containers one smiley and 18 miles of wasted fuel at $3.90...Just not "cost effective" at this time of high gas prices. I do like my "cache runs" to make sense and get the most bang for the fuel $. My preference is Traditional caches with logs. However, everyone to their likes and dislikes. I just enjoy searching for caches and hiding caches. Happy Trails and enjoy the caching journey....

Do you put the log in a plastic zip-lock when you use the matchstick holder?

Sorry for the slow reply. I somehow missed it. No, I cut a the logs to be about 1/8" taller than the top of the tube (with the cap off) and then use 6 or 7 sheets of paper stapled together. Roll em up tight, drop em in and you're good to go for a lot of sigs.

This is what I use for micros in order of preference....

Wally world matchstick containers... 86 cents plus tax each, paint 'em with Krylon camo paints. I start by painting the whole tube the light tan color, then use a handful of grass or pine needles as a mask, I lightly spray it with a darker color (olive green or brown, depending on the hide). Sometimes I use duct tape to attach a fishing leader to the tube before I paint it. This lets me hang it from a barbed wire fence next to a post, and the cache will hang down and be concealed in the grass. I use adding machine paper for the log. No baggie needed.

Magnetic Key holders... $1.86 plus tax. Paint them to match whatever I'm sticking them to. Again, adding machine paper for the log, rolled up and placed IN A BAGGIE, also available from wally or hobby lobby.

Bison tubes. price varies. I like the ones from ae toys, since they come with a tiny tube inside that could be used for another hide. Like getting 2 for 1. only problem, bisons don't hold paint as well as the two above containers. I hand cut log pages for these.

Then there are the nanos.... plenty has been said about these, and they are great for certain hides, rather silly for others. I just run a 8.5x11 sheet of paper through a shredder, and voila! Enough logs for 15-20 of these little guys.

Got a couple of expensive cigars as a gift. They came in metal tubes with screw on lids. They're long enough for some skinny swag, hold a short pencil and a sm. rolled up logbook.

Since I don't smoke cigars, I pulled them out, cut a neoprene gasket for the lid, and now have both serving duty as the first and the final stages of a multi. The final has a magnet attached on the outside.

microcache_1.jpg

Also got a couple of M&M containers - plastic with a hinged, snap-on lid. They're about 1" diameter by 5" long. Sort of a micro on 'roids. One is serving as stage one of another multi of mine.

microcache_2.jpg

A typical house and garage are probably full of little containers perfect for micros, if you look for them :anibad:

Edited by Kohavis

I have an M&M container in a drill hole in a granite slab as a cache. I had to remove most of the lid lip to make it fit. I then stuck an unzipped zippytie along its side, extending above the lid, to aid removal of the cache from the hole.

For a micro, I have a valve stem off a car wheel, valve removed, drilled out and the log placed where the valve used to live. Replace the valve cap, and glued into a wheel of a car on display on the side of a road.

Also, you can roughen them with sandpaper and they take spray paint pretty well, including the "stone" textured paint. Haven't had one out long enough to see how it lasts though, might need an outer coat for durability.Edward
We buy those 86-cent bright orange waterproof match containers from WallyWorld and then spray them with the camo paint they also sell. Have had them last ages without fading or chipping with no prep work at all. Great containers and close easy and tight! Can drill a small hole in the top and screw in a little hanger hook (to cut the threads), then unscrew it, cut off most of the screw part (so it doesn't stick way down in the container or poke someone), plop some hotmelt on top, screw it in and then put a little inside (avoid the threads) to seal it and it's a solid hanger (camo paint after adding hook and glue dries).