Sign in to follow this  
Followers 44
Lemon Fresh Dog

Gallery of Hand Made Geocoins, Sig coins and tokens.

Here are the ones I've come up with. My photo came out really blurry but they are basically hearts with a katana, "opalblade" written in cursive, then one of three types of shiruken and sometimes the year or tftc in cursive (in which case the year is on the back). I started playing around with incorporating the color red but liked just the black and silver the best. I wanted to get circles but they were all out when I went to Michaels and being the impatient type I grabbed hearts, also eyeballed the squares. Figured these could be a "I loved your cache" kind of thing. They will likely all be a little different, drawings and shape - more fun for me :) The hearts feel a bit cheesy but have been great to try different things on.

4365921011_0aeedba6f8_o.jpg

Edited by Opalblade

Here are the ones I've come up with. My photo came out really blurry but they are basically hearts with a katana,

What are these made of? Probably my "fuzzy" eyes, but they look like leather?

Here are the ones I've come up with. My photo came out really blurry but they are basically hearts with a katana,

What are these made of? Probably my "fuzzy" eyes, but they look like leather?

It's wood. They sell bags of flat wood shapes at Michaels. They've been great to practice on and figure out what kind of inks/paints work well on wood :unsure:

Our new trading pins. Made in 4 different colors.

bec015c5-1460-44ee-842f-d179bd45cdca.jpg

This is nice!!!

Now if I could just justify coming to Norway to find one????

Honey!!!! Oh, Honey!!!!!! I need to ......... :rolleyes:

I'm testing the waters trying to come up with a polymer clay coin/signature item to use when caching. I bought a few different packs of clay and experimented with one of them today. On a scale of 1-10 about a conservative 5.... maybe!!

I know I made these too darned thick thinking they would shrink when baked, but if they did it wasn't much. Due to the size of the one main one I did, I only got one large one and a couple of small ones from one pack of clay. My purpose today was just to see how hand lettering them wouild go and how a compass rose rubber stamp would work.

My question to you folks who have a lot more expertise and experience in this than I do is this.........

How thick do you roll the clay out on average before you cut the shapes for your coins/tokens/etc.??? I rolled it to 1/4 inch today. Looked like darned red cookies. :rolleyes::huh:

... I rolled it to 1/4 inch today. Looked like darned red cookies. :rolleyes::huh:

1/4 inch is pretty thick. only way to figure out what you like is by trial and error. when i am doing clay things with a mold i never get the thickness the same way twice. :P

rsg

... I rolled it to 1/4 inch today. Looked like darned red cookies. :rolleyes::huh:

I go for just under a quarter inch and then figure with the 30% shrinkage it will come out the right thickness. If you aren't getting shrinkage, the 3/16 should be about right on a 1.5 inch item.

My question to you folks who have a lot more expertise and experience in this than I do is this.........

How thick do you roll the clay out on average before you cut the shapes for your coins/tokens/etc.???

I make my polymer clay tokens less than 1/8" thick. The rolled and stamped tokens were about the thickness of a dollar coin (2mm, a bit more than 1/16"). The canework tokens vary more, but the slices are between 1/16" thick and 1/8" thick.

All,

Here is my feeble attempt at a signature item. Sadly I am quite proud of it as I am not a crafty person. :unsure:

I think the amount of time I have spent at craft stores in the past week has caused concern for my wife.. <_<

-Robert

P1050149.JPG

P1050151.JPG

P1050150.JPG

Sadly I am quite proud of it

They look fine to me. I say have fun making stuff, and see what works.

Here is my feeble attempt at a signature item. Sadly I am quite proud of it as I am not a crafty person. :)

I think they're awesome!

Thanks everyone. I am enjoying them. I made some smaller ones last evening and trying different colors and such...

-Robert

All,

Here is my feeble attempt at a signature item. Sadly I am quite proud of it as I am not a crafty person. :P

I think the amount of time I have spent at craft stores in the past week has caused concern for my wife.. :(

-Robert

P1050149.JPG

P1050151.JPG

P1050150.JPG

I LOVE them!! They're SOOO super cute :P I would be really happy to find one in a cache :P

Lol on the time spent in craft store funny :P

Did you bake those? It looks like you used plastic coated wire but wouldn't that be bad in the oven?

I LOVE them!! They're SOOO super cute :D I would be really happy to find one in a cache B)

Lol on the time spent in craft store funny :blink:

Did you bake those? It looks like you used plastic coated wire but wouldn't that be bad in the oven?

Thank you for the compliments!

Yup, they are made from Sculpey (Polymer Clay). The wire has been plated in some way, so it isn't a plastic coating, I checked it before baking because I was concerned about any fumes and such.. B)

-Robert

Those are so cool how did you make those?

Thank you, e-mail sent. :surprise:

Only 4 years late, but those are awesome! I'd love instructions as well!

Here is my first attempt at something awful for y'all to enjoy.

Front

IMG_1022.JPG

Back

IMG_1024.JPG

The Coins are actually round, I just take bad pictures. Hopefully I will get better as time goes on.

Edited by USMCGecko

As the 10 10 10 date is coming up people have been asking about a 10 10 10 geocoin. As 101010 in binary is 42 in decimal, and 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything, I thought an appropriate coin may make the grade.

Initial thoughts: 4606603735_bffda100fa_m.jpg

Any further ideas?

Very cool!!

I would trade for one of those!!

Maybe we can work something out when I get a few better ones made. :)

As the 10 10 10 date is coming up people have been asking about a 10 10 10 geocoin. As 101010 in binary is 42 in decimal, and 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything, I thought an appropriate coin may make the grade.

Any further ideas?

Is there a computational matrix on the reverse side?

OK, so I been slowly refining my technique. Doesn't look nearly as bad as the last set. UGH.

I'm still perfecting my technique. But I have come a little further.

FRONT

scan0002.jpg

BACK

scan0003.jpg

It wasn't until AFTER I made a few of these, that I realized that my cookie cutter, WASN'T ACTUALLY ROUND!!

Edited by USMCGecko

Any further ideas?

DON'T PANIC... it's a GeoCoin!

I love this design!

I love all of the signature items that everybody has made. I'd love to find them in a cache and trade some of my own handmade items.

psiub8.jpg

These are my little kitties :)

Naomi

omg looking thru all these photos of sig items and this one really caught my eye i have 4 cats and funner yes my name is also Naomi

OK, so I been slowly refining my technique. Doesn't look nearly as bad as the last set. UGH.

FRONT

scan0002.jpg

BACK

scan0003.jpg

It wasn't until AFTER I made a few of these, that I realized that my cookie cutter, WASN'T ACTUALLY ROUND!!

They're cute! Is that Sculpey you're using? Is that little circular piece made of paper and is glued down? Very nice!!

FRONT

scan0002.jpg

BACK

scan0003.jpg

They're cute! Is that Sculpey you're using? Is that little circular piece made of paper and is glued down? Very nice!!

Yes it's sculpey. The center piece is actually shrinky dink printer paper. I coat the whole thing with polycrilic(sp).

We chose our cache name because our children's names all start with H, it was the name of our 4-H club and because I had all this leftover froggy stuff like these pins.

1277361653508.gif

These fit nicely in micro caches

I felt so inspired by all the cool Signature items here, that I decided to make a few of my own. I've had a lot of fun making them. I've been dropping them in caches when I can.

Here they are for you viewing enjoyment...803c9573-acd2-4322-8353-ca69761ad4e2.jpg

Guiles

I felt so inspired by all the cool Signature items here, that I decided to make a few of my own. I've had a lot of fun making them. I've been dropping them in caches when I can.

Here they are for you viewing enjoyment...803c9573-acd2-4322-8353-ca69761ad4e2.jpg

Guiles

~ AWESOME ~ How are these made???

Guiles

Yes, well done. Are these embroidered badges? Do you have your own embroidery sewing machine?

Guiles

Yes, well done. Are these embroidered badges? Do you have your own embroidery sewing machine?

Thank you all very much. Actually they are just Shrink Art. I draw the tokens on my computer with Paint, and then print them on white shrink art paper. I then color the edges with a Sharpie.

Although this topic has not been replied to in a while I have spent the last couple of hours reading this thread and been amazed by all the beautiful signature items that must be out there ready for me to find! :D I have only at this point found one geocache but have decided already that I really want to hand make my signature item, however deciding on what is the really hard part. My partner doesn't share my enthusiasm (Yet!) and has been driven mad by the two days "research" I have been conducting! There are lots of ideas flying round but I have a sneaking suspicion there may be a visit to the local craft shop required! ;) was wondering if people could add some posts so my "research" can continue!

Thanks in Advance

Jo

:PHere's a few new additions, I started making the frog ones just recently. I think these are the two styles I'm sticking with. :)

067d380c-9b3c-4329-91a6-3e8808824621.jpg

Very nice!! Can you tell me how you make these? I am fairly new to caching, and want to make a signature item. Is this the polymer clay that you bake, and then you just stamp it? If so, what should I make a stamp out of? Thanks!

have just finished our geocoins

homemade

see them on our website: http://fenger-olesen.dk/geocoins.html

Cool coins. I would love to trade for one...

This is what I have...

Heres Snoogans sig smashed pennies...Oooooooh, want a set? Just propose a trade!!! :ph34r:

This particular set is on Wheatbacks, guess it would be his LE's :unsure:

dec91fbd-0d7a-4375-b031-4a68412477ad.jpg

His smashed nickles...17e93d95-166b-4e18-89c5-ba3d38af8596.jpg The crappy penny is still a penny :blink:

And a close up at a few e14d4297-8714-48e2-a35b-572199f6b87d.jpg

8226389828_7c53355cf2_c.jpg

Wow...how have I never seen this thread before? Just looking back a few pages, I'm put to shame by some of the other folks' work with polymer clay. Nonetheless, I've attached a pic of what I've been working on lately. I'd like to think they're not bad for a newbie to the material. The group on the left side are thick-cut, and I've released 20 as geocoins, with official Groundspeak codes on them. The group on the right are 'simple' signature items of various designs and sizes. I sign my name on them with a fine-point Sharpie. I'm open to discussing trades or commissions if anyone is interested.

Here is what we did. Not as cool as the wood ones but we like them. I think 500 for $100. They are pins you can put on your geocaching gear.

20121018_224258-1.jpg

Edited by WarNinjas

Oh just noticed the hand made part of this....well the artwork is hand made. :)

Custom is nice too. I especially like the 'tupperware has landed' pins.

have just finished our geocoins

homemade

see them on our website: http://fenger-olesen.dk/geocoins.html

Cool coins. I would love to trade for one...

This is what I have...

Heres Snoogans sig smashed pennies...Oooooooh, want a set? Just propose a trade!!! :ph34r:

This particular set is on Wheatbacks, guess it would be his LE's :unsure:

dec91fbd-0d7a-4375-b031-4a68412477ad.jpg

His smashed nickles...17e93d95-166b-4e18-89c5-ba3d38af8596.jpg The crappy penny is still a penny :blink:

And a close up at a few e14d4297-8714-48e2-a35b-572199f6b87d.jpg

Hello Snoogans

I would really like to - but can not provide a copper coin, produced only 2 at this time.

Can you use one of the 'silver'

Write to me via geo@fenger-olesen.dk for further agreement

and pardon my written English; -} translated by google translator

Best wishes soren

these are some of the signature items i either found or traded for with people in the geocoin forum. i've also collected several poker chip type sig items, wooden nickels, plastic buttons and little glass animals that were found in a cute little bag. i've left clay arrowheads with kokopelli on them - only made 50 of those. they are in this thread somewhere. also made flat glass ingots with pictures affixed to them, redshoesgirl magnets with kokopelli pins. one lady went around an area and picked up as many as she could find. that was rather discouraging. do folks put out as many sig items as they use to?

8227640099_9998ebb284_o.jpg

8228706692_a004cb4837_o.jpg

i used to make these and am seriously contemplating making them again for a renewed interest in caching. hopefully i can find caches big enough to hold them.

the arrowheads are about 1.5" long.

8227729563_1cc97ef693_o.jpg

these are some of the signature items i either found or traded for with people in the geocoin forum. i've also collected several poker chip type sig items, wooden nickels, plastic buttons and little glass animals that were found in a cute little bag. i've left clay arrowheads with kokopelli on them - only made 50 of those. they are in this thread somewhere. also made flat glass ingots with pictures affixed to them, redshoesgirl magnets with kokopelli pins. one lady went around an area and picked up as many as she could find. that was rather discouraging. do folks put out as many sig items as they use to?

8227640099_9998ebb284_o.jpg

I see you have a RifleMan81 signature shell casing. He is a local cacher and friend here in Central Ohio. I wonder where you found his sig item?

I see you have a RifleMan81 signature shell casing. He is a local cacher and friend here in Central Ohio. I wonder where you found his sig item?

he sent it to me. it might have been a sig item trade or with a coin trade.