Newbie Coiner Mistakes...

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

As a new coiner I was a little wrapped up in the frenzy at GWVI and now looking at my pile of coins I see some that I just assumed were trackable, but are not. I also see some that I picked for a feature I liked without paying much attention to the rest of the design. Doh!!!

Oh well, I'm learning. Since my main interest in the coins is to see them travel, a non trackable is not much use to me (unless I found it in the wild or recieved it as a gift, but the ones I accidentally bought or traded for will not serve me well). I'll be examining coins more closely in the future.

Anyone else want to share some coining mistakes you've made (so i don't feel so stupid)? Have you ever bought or traded for a coin, and then later looked at it more closely and thought "Why did I get this?"

It happened to me just once. It was a "Don't fear the Muggles" coin and had a minting number printed on it, but not a tracking number. It never dawned to me to check out the auction listing to make sure that it was in fact a trackable coin. The mistake was entirely mine, the listing was not misleading, it just didn't point out that it wasn't trackable. Fortunately, I didn't pay and arm and a leg, and I really liked the coin, and so will keep it for now. Maybe one day, I'll drop it in a cache or trade it, but for now it has a home. Funny thing is that I think they came out with a trackable version of this coin later on :anibad:

Don't feel stupid, otherwise I'm not sure where that would leave me. I have 50 paper weights here because I messed up artwork on a coin :D Sure, its not the same thing... its much more boneheaded.

I've bought non-trackable coins before when I didn't realize it, but really, I like the coins, trackable or not, so I got over it quickly. I think there is only one coin I really have said, 'why did I get this?' on and that's the duck geocoin I'll be releasing with a mission to stalk Joey :) (honestly, I have no regrets on that simply because so many laughs were had over it :D )

Perhaps the mistake will ease you into collecting non-trackables or maybe you can trade them in the trading thread :anibad:

Perhaps the mistake will ease you into collecting non-trackables or maybe you can trade them in the trading thread :anibad:

Some of us have non-trackable personal coins and would be willing to trade for the non-trackable coins you don't want. Like me !!!

Let me know if you want one of our non-trackable coins more than some of the ones you have and we can make a deal. Reply to my profile e-mail address and I'll send a picture. Then I'll see if you have anything I like.

:D

I'm not as bad off as I thought then. I'll keep this in mind. I haven't mentioned any of the names of my "Mistake" coins to avoid insulting the designers.

No offense to the designer of the duck coin I mentioned, just not my thing :D And its now one of my fav coins simply because we had so much fun with it :anibad:

But, had I any traders, I'd offer to trade for non-trackables, especially personal ones.

If you're worried about "value" of the coin for trades, it will vary with those you are trading with.

Some of us liek the design more than the tracking number/icon so it won't matter. If you're going to trade them, you'll find many others who go for design, too.

I've traded for the occasional coin that I though looked nice until I had it in hand. They end up being traded again or placed in a cache as swag.

intolerable: but the duck coin was soooo cute, lol.

WSR: Why don't you buy a TB and attach it to your nontrackable coins? If you're intent on sending them traveling, it's a great way for cachers to see coins that don't normally see traveling. Just an idea.

I'm sure your "mistake" coins can be easily traded away, I personally like nontrackables as most of them have meaning and weren't done to gain the almighty dollar. Not to mention when you have the opportunity to trade with someone for their nontrackable coin, they are usually proud of it and you can't beat the memories behind a trade for one of them. I have coins I've traded for that I don't care for as far as designs go but the sentiment behind the coin makes them priceless to me.

Interesting side note: At the coin event (I was very tired and finally just sat down), I watched a number of people with their coin albums/coins spead out negotiating trades and I was kind of surprised by the number of people who were so business like in their dealings. I was kind of turned off by that part of it but I guess because I watched some people who wanted a personal coin go without because the other trader already had that coin. I just consider that an opportunity missed by one trader to make someone else happy or make a new friend. I didn't care what I got in return for my personal coin there, if someone asked they got a coin; something to trade or not. You can send any coin traveling nontrackable or not. It's just fun seeing the smiles on people's faces who were excited to get something they really wanted. (Right intolerable, lol?).

I don't think you made a mistake but you learned what you do and don't like about trading. I think people forgot about the human element in all of this but that is just my sappy opinion :unsure:

But then again, everyone has their own trading style and an idea of what they want to get out of a situation. To each their own I guess :blink:

Edited by tsunrisebey

I dont really think I have made any serious coin mistakes. I have purchased or traded for a few coins that did not look as good in person. I just trade those away. No harm done. I love coins for the coin, the design, the message, the pretty colors. If I find the coin pretty I will go after it weather it has a tracking number or not. i currently have several non trackables, a few i have traded trackables for. If anyone has any non trackables they dont want, feel free to email me a list. :unsure:

I don't think you made a mistake but you learned what you do and don't like about trading. I think people forgot about the human element in all of this but that is just my sappy opinion :unsure:

But then again, everyone has their own trading style and an idea of what they want to get out of a situation. To each their own I guess :D

tsunrisebey, I love Your "sappy Opinion". :blink:

At least that's what Joey kept telling me :unsure: But in the end, it's going to be the coin I bought at GW that I remember GW by... forget the groovy tie dye or hippy bus coins, it's that darn duck!

WSR: Why don't you buy a TB and attach it to your nontrackable coins? If you're intent on sending them traveling, it's a great way for cachers to see coins that don't normally see traveling. Just an idea.

This is a really good idea and something that we've planned on doing with some non-trackables. And when you drill it to attach a TB tag, it's also less likely someone will nab your coin.

It's just fun seeing the smiles on people's faces who were excited to get something they really wanted. (Right intolerable, lol?).

Who? Me? Excited about a geocoin?

But then again, everyone has their own trading style and an idea of what they want to get out of a situation. To each their own I guess :D

tsunrisebey, I love Your "sappy Opinion". :blink:

Hubby and I were just talking to, Your words inspire us big time Steph. We would of thought the same way if we were in your situation. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Valarie of sweetlife

I have never traded for a coin that I didn't like after I got it. In fact, most of the time, I like the coin even better once I have it in my hand.

HOWEVER. . .

Here's a good mistake I made. I was bidding on a coin on ebay and it was in those last few seconds when things start going haywire. I put in bid for $3500 when I meant $35! It couldn't be retracted because the auction was about to end! :unsure: So, as you might have guessed, I won the coin. I think I paid $55 for it, which was a lot more than I wanted to pay for it. I was sweating bullets for those last few seconds and praying that the other person didn't want it that badly. I think this was the most I ever spent on a single coin! I was just thankful that it wasn't worse.

That was exactly what I was going to say. I accidentally bought a coin on eBay (one of my first purchases) and discovered it wasn't trackable after I won it. Good lesson learned - always read the description first!! But I plan to drill it and attach a TB and let it loose anyway.

I guess my biggest mistake with coins has been to purchase a few off eBay only to discover the coins were available for less money directly from the vendor. Doh! :unsure:

I have never traded for a coin that I didn't like after I got it. In fact, most of the time, I like the coin even better once I have it in my hand.

HOWEVER. . .

Here's a good mistake I made. I was bidding on a coin on ebay and it was in those last few seconds when things start going haywire. I put in bid for $3500 when I meant $35! It couldn't be retracted because the auction was about to end! :unsure: So, as you might have guessed, I won the coin. I think I paid $55 for it, which was a lot more than I wanted to pay for it. I was sweating bullets for those last few seconds and praying that the other person didn't want it that badly. I think this was the most I ever spent on a single coin! I was just thankful that it wasn't worse.

!!!! :blink:

Once my son ordered me 3 different Garmin GPSrs that I had in my Amazon cart... I was using the cart as a sort of bookmark so I could easily going back to each to compare later and my son messed with my computer trying to go to the Lego website and managed to place the order (no... really). Fortunately, I was able to cancel that order mighty quick :D Sorry, I know that has nothing to do with the thread...

Your Ebay experience above could have been a real disaster! Glad it didn't go too high on you!

My worst mistake happened at GW VI and I feel sick about it. There was a new coin about aliens invading the earth....later when I got home I looked more closely and found it was a "hate coin" regarding illegal aliens coming into the US. I will never put this in a cache, or trade it, and wish there was a way to melt it down and create something kinder with it.

I have a few coins that when looking at them I wonder why on earth I got them Then I remember that I traded for it because the other person really, really, really wanted something I had and I tried to pick something of theirs. They go into my traer box. LOL I really don't care whether or not the coins are trackable as I rarely activate them. Actually I think that a lot of the non trackables have more meaning......

Boy and you think you got problems WSR!!! :unsure: Heck...You dug through my box of coins I now think "why did I want that coin"...But ya know what, YOU wanted one and so will somebody else with the coin you have. :D

There are some nice coins in my trader box, but I have another "secret trader box" I cant say I couldnt go for the market value of that trader box I had because man thats alot of loot! Guess what Im tryin to say is that I have bought so many coins that dont really mean squat to me... was it a mistake? I guess not, because I sure enjoyed getting them and tearing into them for the first time, all just to place them in my traders in the long run! :D

Another mistake I made was EBAY...Before I found the coin forum and all the coin hookups I didnt know where to buy coins other than ebay and let me tell you- For a guy who's a little headover heals with his new little coin obsession- IT GOT EXPENSIVE...QUICK! Quess that'd be my biggest mistake in the beginning.

Other mistakes I have made which I am sure someone was happy, is where I have dropped coins to activate later and never ended up doin so! :D ...Someone got a prize! :D

Cant say I havent felt taken advantage of during trades in the past aswell, which is kinda the purpose of my "Trader box" and my "Special Trader Box"...which I keep safely tucked away so someone wont be like "Ummm I got this Cache Movers, and I picked out this Green Tranquility" :blink:

No worries on your coin, in the end- its just a coin! :D Which one was it by the way???? :D

I have made only three coins so I am no expert but my non trackable says so much more about me than those which had to have a commercial edge to them. I suppose for this reason I love non trackables. As I dont activate many the tracking and icon is an added expense that I dont use. If you are really wanting to ditch them then you will find some of us will trade for them

ob

I traded for somebody's personal not realizing that it was non-trackable.. it came in the mail and I tore into the package, I admired it oohing and aahing for 15 minutes before it occurred to me "hey?! where's the tracking number?!"

I'm glad I didn't realize it was non-trackable beforehand b/c I might not have made the trade, and I reallllly like it :unsure: I guess it was a mistake, but it's one I'm glad I made. I don't think I care so much about trackability anymore, I mean I'm not releasing the really special ones anyway :blink:

My worst mistake happened at GW VI and I feel sick about it. There was a new coin about aliens invading the earth....later when I got home I looked more closely and found it was a "hate coin" regarding illegal aliens coming into the US. I will never put this in a cache, or trade it, and wish there was a way to melt it down and create something kinder with it.

That is just disgusting!! Is it trackable? Is there a way to turn it in to the powers that be?

Just makes me ill!!

Naomi :unsure:

That is just disgusting!! Is it trackable? Is there a way to turn it in to the powers that be?

Just makes me ill!!

It isn't trackable.

Just makes me ill!!

It isn't trackable.

I'd have to find a way to destroy it! That is just sickening!

Just makes me ill!!

It isn't trackable.

I'd have to find a way to destroy it! That is just sickening!

LOL - That isn't a coin I want in my collection either!

Gak... is that what that coin was about? I didn't actually go over and check it out and thought it was about space aliens too. That's too bad.

Gak... is that what that coin was about? I didn't actually go over and check it out and thought it was about space aliens too. That's too bad.

Any idea where it came from, can you send it back to them with a thanks but no thanks message? I sure hope that NONE of the coin manufacturers we all use made that piece of filth!!

Besides my GW coin that I gave away to those I met, most of what what I brought to GW to trade were all my personal non trackables. I let everyone know up front that they were non trackable. Figured that would scare several off lol but I couldn't carry all my own personals AND my regular traders so I had to choose. It surprised me when I told people mine were non trackable, they asked are they YOUR personal coins? and I said yes and then they said they still wanted to trade...even if theirs were trackable. So the old days haven't died completely though many think they have.

Any idea where it came from, can you send it back to them with a thanks but no thanks message? I sure hope that NONE of the coin manufacturers we all use made that piece of filth!!

I also hope none or the coin companies we work with had anything to do with it. I have had one request for the coin, but there is no way I will put his coin out anywhere. I have emailed Scavok to see if there is anyway to melt it down - then maybe I could make it a travel bug with a totally different message!!!

I agree, I was sucked over to that table by the name too, but when I looked at some of the info around the table, I just had to walk away from that guy even though he was in mid sentence. I'm not impressed with the message on that coin, and had I ended up with one I'd hide it from view too. I'm sorry you got stuck with it.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Boy and you think you got problems WSR!!! :angry: Heck...You dug through my box of coins I now think "why did I want that coin"...But ya know what, YOU wanted one and so will somebody else with the coin you have. :)

There are some nice coins in my trader box, but I have another "secret trader box" I cant say I couldnt go for the market value of that trader box I had because man thats alot of loot! Guess what Im tryin to say is that I have bought so many coins that dont really mean squat to me... was it a mistake? I guess not, because I sure enjoyed getting them and tearing into them for the first time, all just to place them in my traders in the long run! :)

Another mistake I made was EBAY...Before I found the coin forum and all the coin hookups I didnt know where to buy coins other than ebay and let me tell you- For a guy who's a little headover heals with his new little coin obsession- IT GOT EXPENSIVE...QUICK! Quess that'd be my biggest mistake in the beginning.

Other mistakes I have made which I am sure someone was happy, is where I have dropped coins to activate later and never ended up doin so! :) ...Someone got a prize! :D

Cant say I havent felt taken advantage of during trades in the past aswell, which is kinda the purpose of my "Trader box" and my "Special Trader Box"...which I keep safely tucked away so someone wont be like "Ummm I got this Cache Movers, and I picked out this Green Tranquility" :)

No worries on your coin, in the end- its just a coin! :) Which one was it by the way???? :D

I'll keep the details secret, but I can't really say that I was taken advantake of by anyone. I wasn't. The one's I ended up with that are less than impressive to me now were chosen by myself from many possibilities, so I'll just live with them.

I can't remember which one I chose from your box, but I know which one I found on the couch!! I'm very happy with that one...

That was exactly what I was going to say. I accidentally bought a coin on eBay (one of my first purchases) and discovered it wasn't trackable after I won it. Good lesson learned - always read the description first!! But I plan to drill it and attach a TB and let it loose anyway.

I guess my biggest mistake with coins has been to purchase a few off eBay only to discover the coins were available for less money directly from the vendor. Doh! :angry:

I have a big box full of TB tags, so that's an easy option. I'll wait and see...the non trackable I have left WAS chosen because I like the coin design. Not really a loss, but I just didn't look closely at each of the coins I was choosing.

I agree, I was sucked over to that table by the name too, but when I looked at some of the info around the table, I just had to walk away from that guy even though he was in mid sentence. I'm not impressed with the message on that coin, and had I ended up with one I'd hide it from view too. I'm sorry you got stuck with it.

Let's keep the discussion about the coin please - this is not an arena for a political debate.

Thank you, I agree...

I wandered over to that table at GWVI, and at first thought the coin was funny when I just saw that it was based on the road signs, but then I listened to the seller, and saw some of the other information nearby, and was really disappointed. I'm surprised they were allowed to be there.

I just have to say in response to my previous comments about this coin, that while my desire to own or not own one has not changed, nor has my initial reaction to the coin (I can't go back and change my first impression), I have been doing a lot of thinking on the topic of this coin as I spend long hours driving the Big Truck.

The way I see this coin now is as an artistic expression of the designers perception of the problem of Illegal Immigration. As a piece of art, the coin is very valid, in that it serves to guide people to look at an issue from another perspective. Even if you do not agree with(or understand) the message, the validity of the coin as an artistic statement is not diminished.

I am simply reffering to the validity of using a geocoin as an artictic means to make a statement of ones views, so I hope that no one will misunderstand this as a statement of my own views. I am only discussing the coin, and coins in general(as artistic objects). If one were to closely examine the designs of every coin they own, you would almost certainly find many with a segment that similarly expresses a view of the designer which may be different than your own. One major difference may be that the segment in question may be more subtle, or not even noticed.

Edited to add...

As for being surprised that they were allowed at GWVI, I've changed my mind on that statement. Whenever I have heard news stories in the past of how some gallery or museum has dismantled or banished some artwork because some viewers were offended by it, I have always been angry about it. I feel thet the same would apply here. It would not be proper to banish a certain piece of art simply because one does not agree with the viewpoint presented in it. Therefore, exactly where one would expect to NOT find the statement is the best place to put it.

Let's keep the discussion about the coin please - this is not an arena for a political debate.

Thank you, I agree...

I wandered over to that table at GWVI, and at first thought the coin was funny when I just saw that it was based on the road signs, but then I listened to the seller, and saw some of the other information nearby, and was really disappointed. I'm surprised they were allowed to be there.

I just have to say in response to my previous comments about this coin, that while my desire to own or not own one has not changed, nor has my initial reaction to the coin (I can't go back and change my first impression), I have been doing a lot of thinking on the topic of this coin as I spend long hours driving the Big Truck.

The way I see this coin now is as an artistic expression of the designers perception of the problem of Illegal Immigration. As a piece of art, the coin is very valid, in that it serves to guide people to look at an issue from another perspective. Even if you do not agree with(or understand) the message, the validity of the coin as an artistic statement is not diminished.

I am simply reffering to the validity of using a geocoin as an artictic means to make a statement of ones views, so I hope that no one will misunderstand this as a statement of my own views. I am only discussing the coin, and coins in general(as artistic objects). If one were to closely examine the designs of every coin they own, you would almost certainly find many with a segment that similarly expresses a view of the designer which may be different than your own. One major difference may be that the segment in question may be more subtle, or not even noticed.

I'm not going to state my opinion on the content of the coin. What I think about creating a coin with a political statement is that I hope they continue to not allow them to be trackable.

How long will it be before you have the pro-Obama and pro-McCain coins? How about pro-life and pro-choice. Name your political battle and someone out there supports it and opposes it. Do we need this in Geocoins?

Plus, if GS approved a coin that supports one point of view, they would have to approve the other, no matter what the content, or they would be accused of supporting one view point over another. If someone created a coin supporting NAACP, how far behind would a KKK coin be?

I'd love to keep politics out of Geocoins.

I'm not going to state my opinion on the content of the coin. What I think about creating a coin with a political statement is that I hope they continue to not allow them to be trackable.

How long will it be before you have the pro-Obama and pro-McCain coins? How about pro-life and pro-choice. Name your political battle and someone out there supports it and opposes it. Do we need this in Geocoins?

Plus, if GS approved a coin that supports one point of view, they would have to approve the other, no matter what the content, or they would be accused of supporting one view point over another. If someone created a coin supporting NAACP, how far behind would a KKK coin be?

I'd love to keep politics out of Geocoins.

I'll agree with that, Those kinds of coins should not be trackable, and should not be endorsed by Groundspeak.

Edited to restate...my above statements do not refer to my opinions of the message on the coins, but simply to the validity of creating a coin to make your own artistic statement. The fact that a piece of art offends a person does not lessen the fact that it is a piece of art

HaHa, I'm still a rookie! I ordered two soins recently for the very fair price of 19...Pounds!!! Never having bought anything in Pounds before, I paid no mind to exchange rates, so I guess with the shipping, I really did pay almost $50 for two coins! Good thing I'm not in a bind. They are beautiful coins though. Anybody want to trade me three coins for one of these?

e22f73ec-e182-446c-aa1e-55c992722488.jpg

HaHa, I'm still a rookie! I ordered two soins recently for the very fair price of 19...Pounds!!! Never having bought anything in Pounds before, I paid no mind to exchange rates, so I guess with the shipping, I really did pay almost $50 for two coins! Good thing I'm not in a bind. They are beautiful coins though. Anybody want to trade me three coins for one of these?

Oh, never mind, they were Canadian Dollars, which is actually a better rate. Maybe I should buy all my coins in Canada

Oh, never mind, they were Canadian Dollars, which is actually a better rate. Maybe I should buy all my coins in Canada

Yes, yes, but is it trackable? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I ran out an bought 5 of the texas 2003 and 5 of the calgary 2003 back Xmas of 03, only to find that when they arrived they weren't trackable on GC.com ~ each has their own tracking sites (now disabled), but then i had to go and buy the 2004 USA coins, the first ones I could track on GC.com ~ I ended up putting all the others in caches and never heard from them again.

I don't think you made a mistake but you learned what you do and don't like about trading. I think people forgot about the human element in all of this but that is just my sappy opinion :laughing:

tsunrisebey, I love Your "sappy Opinion". :unsure:

Me too :laughing: There is no way I think anything less of your Tatanka Pejula for being non trackable, especially since I received mine from a most gorgeous friend. Then sentiment behind it makes it even more special. :unsure:

But as for mistakes? Wellllll I make them at least weekly. With about 550 trades and a couple of years experience with geocoins, I continue to make mistakes. It's embarassing. I must be a slow learner :laughing:

It makes it much harder when I cant see what a geocoin really looks like in person. Or when I fall out of love with a geocoin after only a week or two. It would be great to be able to attend a geocoinfest and make reasoned choices (hah!), but it seems that I will just have to continue to encourage more geocoin addicts in Tasmania......

Yes, yes, but is it trackable? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yes it is, "Track on Geocaching.com" is on the side, in Français AND English!! I guess I did a good edit job, if you can't even tell that I covered the number in the picture?

The number is here...

75f84142-4eb7-4a76-8ff8-7c1f68b4b6c0.jpg

in this detail, you can see the spraypaint edit.

My response to people not liking a certain coin, or not wanting political statements on a "geocoin" is simple to tell you to think about it.

a coin is a coin, call it a geocoin, a token, a challenge coin or whatever you want. They have been around way longer than geocaching.

if you do not like the message then do not buy it or own it, calling a coin about illegal immigration a hate coin is like me calling any coins with religious messages pedophile coins.