Cemetery caches

My husband and I found our first cache ever, a couple days ago, in a cemetery. The cache had been placed in dedication to the hider's great-grandmother, and was quite a touching find, in a very pretty and peaceful location.

I've never found cemeteries to be creepy or eerie locations probably because I grew up with one right across the street from my house, and used to play in it all the time. (Never did any vandalism or anything disrespectful. Just used to pretend to be an animal and play amongst the trees and such lol.) So I quite enjoyed my first cache find being in a cemetery. (And we did go during the day just as a side note.)

Well I went back and actually found the cache. The original co-ordinates put ground zero right at a headstone.

I went back and read through some of the logs and found that the co-ordinates are off by about 90 some feet. Once I had the right co-ordinates, I made the find away from the headstones and markers.

Now I just have to go back one last time because there wasn't a pencil in the container and I didn't have a pen with me (major sin while caching).

I have found that I love cemetary caches. They are more secluded and you can spend as much time there not only looking for the cache, but also at the tombstones of those buried there. I've been inside more cemetaries out geocaching than I have any other time in my life. I feel like it is a way to bring us closer to those who are there and who knows ...maybe those buried are laughing at us wondering around like fools trying to find the cache in the only obvious spot in the whole place.

kc5nvj

-snip-

The bottom line is if YOU are uncomfortable with the locations then dont do them hon. There are plenty of other caches out there to find. Leave the cemetery ones to the cemetery cachers. It's ok. The important thing in this activity is to enjoy. :laughing: MW

I think that's the important thing here; if it makes you uncomfortable then absolutely don't do them. Put them on your ignore list and find the caches that are in your comfort zone. I am fairly comfortable in cemeteries so I've got no problem caching there as long as the hides are done respectfully. I'm kind of a morbid person though and I sometimes go to cemeteries just to look around to see what I can see, enjoy the peacefulness, say a little prayer. I've thus far done 2 in local historical cemeteries and enjoyed them a great deal as I learned something and had an excuse to visit 2 cemeteries that I have never been to. One of them was a cemetery about a mile from the house I grew up in which is in a historical area in Michigan. In fact the house next door and the church across the street are 2 of the caches in the multi. It was really nice to walk thru the cemetery and see the names of the people who built my parent's house back in the mid 1800s and in my mind be able to say "hey, hi, we still live there in the house you built and died in a hundred years ago). It was nice to see all the prominent names of the area lying in rest there while wandering around looking for the cache. I found it, picked a few weeds, learned some interesting facts, said a little prayer and went home and felt really good about experiencing that little piece of local history.

If it is disrespectful or uncomfortable to you, don't do it. I personally don't like any caches that take me into creepy areas or areas where I might find snakes or creepy critters. There was one last week that led me into the woods to find a cache in a waterfall (I think it was really a runoff drain) that made me so uncomfortable I ran right out and will never go back. It was dark, there were used condoms and drug paraphernalia, tons of trash, and just super creepy to the point that it scares me to think about what people are doing in there when it gets dark and if there was someone in there watching me when I walked in and ran out that day. I honestly lay in bed awake thinking about it but then I am sort of morbid and have an active imagination or saw too many Blair Witch type movies or something. But I digress. :laughing: Just do what makes you comfortable.

I have found that I love cemetary caches. They are more secluded and you can spend as much time there not only looking for the cache, but also at the tombstones of those buried there. I've been inside more cemetaries out geocaching than I have any other time in my life. I feel like it is a way to bring us closer to those who are there and who knows ...maybe those buried are laughing at us wondering around like fools trying to find the cache in the only obvious spot in the whole place.

kc5nvj

Did someone stick that tombstone in the tree? Or does it look like the tree grew up around it?

SPOILER WARNING !!! If you live in Quebec, Canada, don't look at this picture of a cache located in a cemetary.

pierretombale.jpg

How about that? These people love geocaching so much that they have the Groundspeak logo engraved on their tombstone (they're not dead yet) and the cache itself is a micro drilled two inches deep right on the side of the stone. The logo is actually engraved an eight of an inch deep in the stone! (So in effect the logo is on a cache container as per the guidelines...)

Took three trips to find the darn thing... We did not leave one stone unturned until we found it... Just kidding folks, just kidding... That hunt was nice and I have no problems with caches in cemeteries. I have problems with people that don't respect the place they are in, wherever they are.

Edited by Userzero
But it made me wonder how many of us think even stop to consider all the things beyond our control that happen to burial plots other than just sitting there being "sacred space" --People working, worms and moles tunneling through, birds sitting on the headstones, tree limbs being blown onto the stones, weathering and erosion erasing the lettering etc.

Not to mention graves that are dug up for parking lots, road and building construction. Or sometimes just paved over.

After some research my father found out where my great grandfather was buried. My dad was speaking with the caretaker trying to find out exactly where the grave was so we could visit. After checking records, the caretaker informed us that the headstone had been taken down and buried on top of the grave. He said it's done to old graves to make mowing easier.

He informed us that the headstone could be dug up and replaced if we wanted them to do it - for $500.

Ouch, sorry about your great-grandfather.

There is a convenience store in the next town that is built over an old graveyard. There are still five or six stones in the corner of the parking lot, but county records list at least 100 burials there. In Indiana, it's easier to pave over a graveyard than to get the permits to remove and relocate the burials.

In Louisiana we have have a law that once a location is used as a cemetery it is always a cemetery and nothing else. It makes little pocket parks a pleasure to find in the strangest places.

Here is a cache I found a couple days ago.

Any comments ?

Yeah. It's too exposed. It'll go missing quickly. And is that stinging nettle? It's not nice to hide a cache in nettles. :laughing:

Yep, that was funny. Seriously? There are several factors here. Was that the original hiding spot, or did someone move it to "hide it better" Perhaps it was just placed by an inexperienced cache owner, sitting out in the open. Is someone buried right under that marker, and trees grew around it? Or is it a long toppled over marble marker that has been moved to that location?

Bottom line, I don't think there are any reviewers who would approve a cache who's hiding spot actually touches a tombstone.

For anybody in the Chicago area, a great cemetery cache is GC26C4. I found back it back in about 2003, and it still ranks among my favorite geocaches ever. There's truly fascinating history at the spot.

I've found a smattering of caches in cemeteries over the years, and the ones I have seen have all been tastefully placed. I guess I might feel differently if the cemetery caches I've visited had been microspewage, but that hasn't been the case.

For anybody in the Chicago area, a great cemetery cache is GC26C4. I found back it back in about 2003, and it still ranks among my favorite geocaches ever. There's truly fascinating history at the spot.

I've found a smattering of caches in cemeteries over the years, and the ones I have seen have all been tastefully placed. I guess I might feel differently if the cemetery caches I've visited had been microspewage, but that hasn't been the case.

I guess it would depend on your definition of 'spewage'.

In my opinion, micros work well in cemeteries because they are relatively unobtrusive.

In my opinion, micros work well in cemeteries because they are relatively unobtrusive.

I guess I meant the sort of micro that emerges from the mindset of "there isn't a cache within .1 mile so I am going to stick a film cannister here just so there is one." :laughing:

Thoughtful micros are fine by me, and even the cheesy-cheap micros don't really bug me in most places, but if someone stuck one in a cemetery with no intent to maintain it just for a numbers-bump, that would seem tasteless. I know that could really apply to any size cache, but most of the offenders I have seen putting out huge numbers of poorly planned and unmaintained caches are fond of the film cannister micros.

Edited by Scamp

I like cemetery caches just fine. I find them no less respectful than the often-found piles of dead flowers dumped in the woods, but still within sight of the graves.

I find it no less creepy than our county's obsession with placing the remains of our populace in over-priced, over-featured, over-wrought boxes that cost as much as new cars and promptly placing them in the ground to keep said remains as fresh and unnaturally preserved as possible. Not to mention the acres and acres of land devoted to near-treeless lawns, the gas spent mowing, etc.

But that's how I feel. I don't "get" modern funeral practices and the rituals associated with them.

If you don't want to look for my cemetery caches, then by all means, don't cache something that makes you uncomfortable. There all placed well away from the graves and you never have to approach the actual tombstones. Most likely, they are next to the pile rotting flowers that the grounds crew shoved over under the privet bushes.

Me, I'm going in a hole wrapped in a sack where nature can have its way with me. There will be a cache (well hidden) nearby.

I guess I meant the sort of micro that emerges from the mindset of "there isn't a cache within .1 mile so I am going to stick a film cannister here just so there is one." :laughing:

Thoughtful micros are fine by me, and even the cheesy-cheap micros don't really bug me in most places, but if someone stuck one in a cemetery with no intent to maintain it just for a numbers-bump, that would seem tasteless.

Since I can't read the minds of cache owners, I have to assume that every cache that I look for was hidden with the best of intentions.
I know that could really apply to any size cache, but most of the offenders I have seen putting out huge numbers of poorly planned and unmaintained caches are fond of the film cannister micros.
I bolded the most telling part of your post. The rest just reads like a vendetta against the owners of those caches that didn't curl your toes. Edited by sbell111

Thoughtful micros are fine by me, and even the cheesy-cheap micros don't really bug me in most places, but if someone stuck one in a cemetery with no intent to maintain it just for a numbers-bump, that would seem tasteless.

Since I can't read the minds of cache owners, I have to assume that every cache that I look for was hidden with the best of intentions.
I know that could really apply to any size cache, but most of the offenders I have seen putting out huge numbers of poorly planned and unmaintained caches are fond of the film cannister micros.
I bolded the most telling part of your post. The rest just reads like a vendetta against the owners of those caches that didn't curl your toes.

It's not just a matter of taste-- I was honestly trying to be polite by just calling things cheesy or cheap instead of labeling them what they are. Someone who dumps a worthless, leaky container in a bush and never checks on it again is leaving garbage sitting around, not a cache. Garbage isn't hurting anybody much when it is in a Walmart parking lot, but it is out of place in a cemetery where respectful behaviour is more important.

I think the game would be better if everybody put time into their caches in general, but special care should be taken in places where muggles are more likely to be put-off if they find something that seems inappropriate.

Im a newbie who just today broke 10 finds. One of the ones I looked for today was in a cemetary. I didn't find it but I have to admit that I felt very uneasy while looking. I just felt like I was being disrespectful by playing a game in a place like that.

I probably wont go back to that one but I wont rule out all cemetary hunts just yet.

Anybody else think maybe these places should be sacred, or is it just me?

I put caches here because these places are sacred. It brings people to them who wouldn't normally stop. You look at gravemarkers, you see what people have left for those that they love, you might even recognise names. You'll see markers for people who loved football, who were firefighters, who fought in wars, who were Mayflower descendents, who loved God, who loved life. You'll see children who were taken too soon... some were here a day, some five years, some more... but all left too soon.

Would you have ever taken the time out of your day to stop and see these things if it weren't for someone sticking tupperware in the bushes?

The first cemetery cache I found was placed by a man who created a memorial to his daughter. Every cacher that visited was doing so, whether it was their intention or not, in honor of the life of someone who was the center of this man's world.

These are sacred places. Obey the rules posted on the property. Do not step on graves. Do not deface markers. You can even pray if that's your personal inclination. But remember to sign the log and rehide it like you found it.

- Elle

Im a newbie who just today broke 10 finds. One of the ones I looked for today was in a cemetary. I didn't find it but I have to admit that I felt very uneasy while looking. I just felt like I was being disrespectful by playing a game in a place like that.

I probably wont go back to that one but I wont rule out all cemetary hunts just yet.

Anybody else think maybe these places should be sacred, or is it just me?

I put caches here because these places are sacred. It brings people to them who wouldn't normally stop. You look at gravemarkers, you see what people have left for those that they love, you might even recognise names. You'll see markers for people who loved football, who were firefighters, who fought in wars, who were Mayflower descendents, who loved God, who loved life. You'll see children who were taken too soon... some were here a day, some five years, some more... but all left too soon.

Would you have ever taken the time out of your day to stop and see these things if it weren't for someone sticking tupperware in the bushes?

The first cemetery cache I found was placed by a man who created a memorial to his daughter. Every cacher that visited was doing so, whether it was their intention or not, in honor of the life of someone who was the center of this man's world.

These are sacred places. Obey the rules posted on the property. Do not step on graves. Do not deface markers. You can even pray if that's your personal inclination. But remember to sign the log and rehide it like you found it.

- Elle

Amen

I bolded the most telling part of your post. The rest just reads like a vendetta against the owners of those caches that didn't curl your toes.

It's not just a matter of taste-- I was honestly trying to be polite by just calling things cheesy or cheap instead of labeling them what they are. Someone who dumps a worthless, leaky container in a bush and never checks on it again is leaving garbage sitting around, not a cache. Garbage isn't hurting anybody much when it is in a Walmart parking lot, but it is out of place in a cemetery where respectful behaviour is more important.

I think the game would be better if everybody put time into their caches in general, but special care should be taken in places where muggles are more likely to be put-off if they find something that seems inappropriate.

What in the world does that have to do with micros, or cemeteries? Edited by sbell111

My thoughts exactly. Thanks to cemetery caches I've had some very moving moments where something about a grave made me pause and reflect. There was an Army vet buried in Bethlehem PA, who was born on the same day and year I was, who died on active duty while I was was whooping it up with my frat brothers in college. There was a teenage girl in a cemetery in western NY who was killed by a drunk driver. There was a young man who was KIA during WW1, and a cluster of graves of Revolutionary War vets I found in one cemetery. All strangers to me, but for a few moments I stopped to think about them, the lives they lead and I guess you can say even mourn a little.

Sure I can walk into any cemetery at any time to do this, but it's something that I just don't think of taking the time to do. But if there is a geocache to bring me there, I think that's great.

Edited by briansnat

Sure I can walk into any cemetery at any time to do this, but it's something that I just don't think of taking the time to do. But if there is a geocache to bring me there, I think that's great.

I love exploring cemetery's, and enjoy all the geocaches that I can that use that setting for the hide or for information.

But, someone recently told me that it's against the law to enter a cemetery at night. I've had some of the best, and spookiest, caching experiences at night in cemetery's

Edited by trainlove

...I was honestly trying to be polite by just calling things cheesy or cheap instead of labeling them what they are.....

My spin meter is spiking. You are spinning things beyond what they actually are, which is a cache, to something they are not. It's a cache. No more. No less. One version of respect is to not forget those who came before. If a cache exposes us to the past and we wonder about the people who's markets we see. That's nothing but a good thing.

Your dislike of how other people pay respect is just your own preference.

i found a cemetery cache.that was the only one though.when i was looking for the cache i didnt feel completely right.it felt as if i was tresspassing.i dont think ill do another cemetary cache.if people pay that much for a person to r.i.p. I think they should be able to rest in piece.

I didn't mean to start drama. I like cemetery caches. The ones I've done have all been nice caches. And I hope that people will keep up the high standard out of respect for the meaning of the place to people who aren't geocachers. The end. That's all I meant. I wasn't expecting multiple people to jump down my throat over one poorly-chosen word-- which I admitted wasn't accurate in my very next post.

I'm remembering why I've only made like 50 posts on this board in six years of caching; it's because I don't want to have to sit around and try to think up eighty million ways someone could miscontrue my simple statement and turn it into a debate that's been debated ad nauseum when I didn't want to debate in the first place.

i found a cemetery cache.that was the only one though.when i was looking for the cache i didnt feel completely right.it felt as if i was tresspassing.i dont think ill do another cemetary cache.if people pay that much for a person to r.i.p. I think they should be able to rest in piece.

I think that cache owners should have the common courtesy to note that the cache is hidden in a cemetery.

I think that cache owners should have the common courtesy to note that the cache is hidden in a cemetery.

I have this one. Finished - But Not Dead. GC1F8ZQ

Finished - But Not Dead

It starts several miles south and ends up in a hole in the base of a tree next to the sidewalk in a cemetary.

They should. Some people are squicky about cemeteries and preparing people would reduce the amount of "omg ppl should be able to be unknown in the ground where I never have to think about them ever rest in peace" comments.

At one time, I had a cache hidden in a rubber rat in a cemetery. I wanted to up the "squee" factor.

Cache owners should have the common courtesy to get the approval of the management entity. Cemeteries can be public (owned by government) or private (owned by an individual or company). In either case, TPTB should be consulted and made aware so their concerns can be voiced and considered in the placement of the cache. I dotted all my 'i's and crossed all my 't's for my cemetery caches because, as I said before, cemeteries are important to me.

Mind you, if I owned a plot and placed a marker there, I'd have every right to put a cache into it and wouldn't have to call a single person for permission, as is the case for our Good Boy! (GC147JP), which has been a pain in the tookus and we need to check on this Friday after all the Fay rain. :unsure:

- Elle

In this respect, a cache in a cemetery is no different than any kind of cache. When I roll up on the location, I can decide not to get out of my car, if I don't want to look for a cache there.

In my opinion, there is no need to include specific details about the location in the cache description that identifies everything about the cache and it's location in order to ensure that every cacher has teh opportunity to avoid it for whatever their personal reasons are.

Am I the only morbid person that thinks it would be cool to have a little drawer cut into my headstone so my final resting place could be a cache? Yeah, probably. LOL
Actually, this (or something very similar) has been suggested in most threads regarding cemetery caches. It turns out your normal, as cachers go.

Am I the only morbid person that thinks it would be cool to have a little drawer cut into my headstone so my final resting place could be a cache? Yeah, probably. LOL

Someone actually beat you to it, see picture in post #59. The cache holder is actually the headstone. The micro is drilled on the side of the stone.

Someone actually beat you to it, see picture in post #59. The cache holder is actually the headstone. The micro is drilled on the side of the stone.

Oh duh! I looked right at it and thought it was a sticker. I feel so normal. :unsure:

BTW.... cemeteries make great caches to get at night.

We disagree that night caching in cemeteries is a good idea. In our state, many cemeteries are closed dusk to dawn. Night time is when much cemetery vandalism occurs. We don't allow caching at night on our series, which now includes over 600 caches, mostly in rural pioneer graveyards. We believe we may have been instrumental in inspiring Indiana Reviewers to request that cemetery caches in our state preclude night caching and so state on the cache page... :unsure:

If you are in a Texas cemetery at night, you can expect a quick visit by a unit or two of uniformed officers driving those vehicles with the flashing bubble-gum machines on top!!

Like Indiana says, vandalism is high in cemeteries in most places and nightime is the time these vandals work. Many cemeteries have dedicated "watchers" that will call the cops quicker than a nightlight can drain a two cell Magellan! Believe it! :ph34r:

BTW.... cemeteries make great caches to get at night.

We disagree that night caching in cemeteries is a good idea. In our state, many cemeteries are closed dusk to dawn. Night time is when much cemetery vandalism occurs. We don't allow caching at night on our series, which now includes over 600 caches, mostly in rural pioneer graveyards. We believe we may have been instrumental in inspiring Indiana Reviewers to request that cemetery caches in our state preclude night caching and so state on the cache page... :(

If you are in a Texas cemetery at night, you can expect a quick visit by a unit or two of uniformed officers driving those vehicles with the flashing bubble-gum machines on top!!

Like Indiana says, vandalism is high in cemeteries in most places and nightime is the time these vandals work. Many cemeteries have dedicated "watchers" that will call the cops quicker than a nightlight can drain a two cell Magellan! Believe it! :huh:

Geocachers are nothing more than watchers with an activity they like to do. Folks need to remeber that the reason vandal work at night is to avoid prying eyes. Eyes that geocachers and others would bring to the table. I've not seen anything at all that says night caching is bad. It's just caught up in the issue of vandalizem and it is a solution to the problem that TPTB choose to ignore.

It would certainly would be nice for the cache owner to let me know I was going to be looking in a cemetery. It would also be nice to know I was looking for a container stuffed down a rat hole on a river bank, or a film canister under the mulch in front of City Hall, or a magnetic sheet plastered on the side of a transformer, or a key box stuck to the side of a dumpster behind Wal-Mart. I've found 'em all, and I'll take the cemetery caches any day.

Geocachers are nothing more than watchers with an activity they like to do. Folks need to remeber that the reason vandal work at night is to avoid prying eyes. Eyes that geocachers and others would bring to the table. I've not seen anything at all that says night caching is bad. It's just caught up in the issue of vandalizem and it is a solution to the problem that TPTB choose to ignore.

Geocachers become potential victims wandering alone at night in a cemetery or park where they can be easily overcome. Oh wait... [checks the gun thread] I guess some people have that covered. And how convenient that y'all would already be in a cemetery! :huh:

Geocachers aren't crime deterants and it shouldn't be a surprise that they aren't embraced as crime deterants. The bottom line is that if a management entity does not want you on their property outside of a specified timeframe, regardless of what the property is and regardless of whether you personally agree with their reasons, anyone who chooses to violate those rules is trespassing. Last time I checked, trespassing is a crime.

- Elle

Geocachers become potential victims wandering alone at night in a cemetery or park where they can be easily overcome. Oh wait... [checks the gun thread] I guess some people have that covered. And how convenient that y'all would already be in a cemetery! :huh:
Let's not derail this thread with gun angst.
Geocachers aren't crime deterants and it shouldn't be a surprise that they aren't embraced as crime deterants.
Of course geocachers are crime deterents. In fact, all law abiding citizens are crime deterents. The simple fact that other people are wandering about will help deter crimes such as vandalism.
The bottom line is that if a management entity does not want you on their property outside of a specified timeframe, regardless of what the property is and regardless of whether you personally agree with their reasons, anyone who chooses to violate those rules is trespassing. Last time I checked, trespassing is a crime.
The last I checked, no one was suggesting that anyone trespass anywhere. The fact is, not all cemeteries are closed to visitors at dusk, nor should they be.

...Geocachers become potential victims wandering alone at night in a cemetery or park where they can be easily overcome. Oh wait... [checks the gun thread] I guess some people have that covered. And how convenient that y'all would already be in a cemetery! :huh:

Geocachers aren't crime deterants and it shouldn't be a surprise that they aren't embraced as crime deterants. The bottom line is that if a management entity does not want you on their property outside of a specified timeframe, regardless of what the property is and regardless of whether you personally agree with their reasons, anyone who chooses to violate those rules is trespassing. Last time I checked, trespassing is a crime.

- Elle

Everone is a potential victum at all times in every aspect of life, for any number of reasons. Thats' no reason to quit life. Nothing changes when you narrow down the focus to a cemetary. Amazingly people going about their life, especilly in numbers, lowers crime. Crime tends to be done out of the public eye. Of course if we assume you are 100% right in your assertion, then I wonder what's keeping the watchers safe.

Your bottom line is right. If the managers/owners don't want folks in at night, that's where it stops. Unless of course as an owner, it's your own families cultural tradition to pay your respects at night. Then the managers policy isn't doing the right job. That's another topic though.

Your bottom line is right. If the managers/owners don't want folks in at night, that's where it stops. Unless of course as an owner, it's your own families cultural tradition to pay your respects at night. Then the managers policy isn't doing the right job. That's another topic though.

Which cultures mourn at night? I haven't heard of that. You've got me all curious now!

- Elle

Which cultures mourn at night? I haven't heard of that. You've got me all curious now!

- Elle

Good question. I tried to google it. There is nothing easy to find on the subject.

I tend to remember my friends and family in the small of the night in the wakeful moments. If it were just me, and I didn't live so far, I'd step out my back door, walk down to their resting place, sit and remember; alone in the dark. In the day my time, and my obligations, are held by others.

In this respect, a cache in a cemetery is no different than any kind of cache. When I roll up on the location, I can decide not to get out of my car, if I don't want to look for a cache there.

In my opinion, there is no need to include specific details about the location in the cache description that identifies everything about the cache and it's location in order to ensure that every cacher has teh opportunity to avoid it for whatever their personal reasons are.

Not really true. In most cases, I can tell what I'm getting into from reading the cache page. I cannot think of any other type of cache that raises the religious and ethical hackles for many of us than cemetery caches. It seems that lots of people like to picnic and party in cemeteries. (I find this quite bizarre.) But there are many of us who consider caches hidden in cemeteries to be offensive and disrespectful.

Don't tell me that 'It's a nice hike in the woods". Tell me that it's a cemetery cache. Why hide that from anyone, when many find it disrespectful? And that's the argument here.

Not really true. In most cases, I can tell what I'm getting into from reading the cache page. I cannot think of any other type of cache that raises the religious and ethical hackles for many of us than cemetery caches. It seems that lots of people like to picnic and party in cemeteries. (I find this quite bizarre.) But there are many of us who consider caches hidden in cemeteries to be offensive and disrespectful.

Don't tell me that 'It's a nice hike in the woods". Tell me that it's a cemetery cache. Why hide that from anyone, when many find it disrespectful? And that's the argument here.

You appear to be saying that people are misrepresenting their cemetery caches and somehow tricking you into looking for them. I don't believe that this actually happens. Rather, nothing about the location is mentioned on the cache page and we don't realize that it's hidden in a cemetery. While it's true that we could easily identify these by glancing at a map, most likely we won't know this until we drive to the location. At that point, we will note that we are either parked directly in front of a cemetery or actually within it. This is the perfect time to put our vehicles back in gear and drive on to the next cache, if we don't wish to look for a cache in a cemetery.

In this respect, these caches are no different from any other caches that are hidden in places we choose not to search in: play grounds, dirty alleys, parking lots, pickle parks, any other muggle-filled spot, whatever.

Edited by sbell111

No, you aren't the only one. My husband and I actually had this very discussion a few days ago. I told him I wanted a cache hidden right on my tombstone when I'm gone. I don't care. Come visit me. I'd love to have cachers come by every now and then to say hi! :laughing:

We don't mind cemetery caches at all... no different than anywhere else to me... but I won't go there at night, sorry.

It seems that lots of people like to picnic and party in cemeteries. (I find this quite bizarre.)

I've been to cemeteries with picnic tables in them, so it's not as unusual as you might think. In fact last year on mothers day I was looking for a cache in a cemetery and there was a group of about 15 people picnicking

next to what I guess was a mother's or grandmother's grave. Blanket on the ground, food, music playing softly, kids running around.

I understand that this was a common practice in the 19th and early 20th century.