Opinions about flight sim caching?

I'm thinking about opening a 2nd account and using it to do flight sim caching. I've seen this done before, but i don't know how the forum community feels about it. I'm talking about virtually flying to interesting caches, taking screenshots of the area, landing and taking off, etc, then posting that to the cache log. Of course, it would be fully disclosed on the logs what I was doing.

Would you delete the log if someone did this?? Would you consider it to be the ruination of Geocaching? Or is it just another way (harmless) to enjoy Geocaching.com?

If you do that, don't fly to any of my caches in Pittsburgh. I'd break my six year streak and delete a 'found it' log for the very first time.

Do yourself a favor and fly the friendly skies over Germany. Say "Greetings from America" in all your logs. I bet you could run up a high find count and maybe even win the coveted Golden Couch award.

It sounds like a really neat idea and I'd love to see what my cache areas look like in a screen capture. It's been so long since I've played with a flight simulator I have no idea what they're capable of now.

But I wouldn't log it as a find. The cache doesn't exist in that virtual world, it exists in the real world. If the cache is missing when you virtually find it you could really cause some confusion for the next guy who can't find it.

Also, logging a find would violate the integrity of the physical cache and would cause the collision of the virtual and physical worlds...similar to the clash of Plato's real and ideal...only with more pixels. There's a chance the universe would implode and all life as we know it would wink out of existence.

Now over to Vinnie for weather....Vinnie?

I think this is an interesting alternative game. However the puritans will not look kindly on those playing a game other that the puritan form of geocaching where you actually go an physically find the cache and sign the log. Just look at the threads on armchair logging of virtuals. I don't know why they object to people wanting to do something creative using the geocaching site since its not stopping anyone from actually geocaching. Perhaps they think it would degrade geocaching someway. :P

At one time there was a cache in Sweden that you could log a find on by playing an online sim that showed the cache. The cache was archived because it was "found" using the sim and TPTB felt it violated the virtual log part of the guidelines.

I would guess that using a flight sim to log a cache would be the same idea.

You're welcome to fly the short distance to Kansas and post notes on my caches. I don't think virtual noting is against the guidelines. You could keep track of these "simfinds" in some mapping software. I'd be happy to see some screen shots of my locations. And thanks for the idea; I've been flightsimming since "98".

I always assumed that a find included signing the log or if not able to for whatever reason, explaining why. I agree with the previous poster that maybe a note and not a find would be a good way to document these.

BEST AVATAR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like a really neat idea and I'd love to see what my cache areas look like in a screen capture. It's been so long since I've played with a flight simulator I have no idea what they're capable of now.

But I wouldn't log it as a find. The cache doesn't exist in that virtual world, it exists in the real world. If the cache is missing when you virtually find it you could really cause some confusion for the next guy who can't find it.

Also, logging a find would violate the integrity of the physical cache and would cause the collision of the virtual and physical worlds...similar to the clash of Plato's real and ideal...only with more pixels. There's a chance the universe would implode and all life as we know it would wink out of existence.

Now over to Vinnie for weather....Vinnie?

Thank you, Bret, for your usual excellent summery of today's news. I must say that I entirely agree with your stance on these flight sim logs, and, much as Lep said, I would delete any such find log in a heartbeat, and maybe also consider hiring a few mobsters from Brooklyn (that is, Brooklyn, NY; there is a particular pizzeria in Flatbush...) to administer some disciplinary lessons to the putative "finder".

Bret, moving on to the weather, our weather forecast for the next 24 hours is pretty grim. While normal earth-bound weather patterns promise to be quite normal in most parts of North America, Central America and South America, we will see our planet's biosphere heavily impinged today by not one but three large asteroids, each measuring more than three miles across and weighing hundreds of thousands of tons,and each, when they impact, may accidentally crush a great many geocaches and even a few geocachers, along with some geomuggles. However, most folks will not be worrying too much about the impact craters and tsunami created by the impact of the three asteriods, because the Yellowstone supervolcano is due to erupt in late afternoon local Wyoming time today, and in short order, the eruption will destroy most of the landscape in the Western US and the resultant dust clouds will obscure 98% of sunlight worldwide for about six years. The resultant six-year darkness may end up producing less-than-optimal cache hunting conditions for some cachers. Other than that, nothing significant to report regarding today's weather. Thank you, Bret, and lets move on to a word from our sponsor.

The resultant six-year darkness may end up producing less-than-optimal cache hunting conditions for some cachers. Other than that, nothing significant to report regarding today's weather. Thank you, Bret, and lets move on to a word from our sponsor.

Thanks, Vinny. Today's presentation of Cacher News is brought to you by Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart: where lamp post caches shine out like a ray of hope and sunshine during the dark and troubled times that lay ahead.

WalMart. Always.

The resultant six-year darkness may end up producing less-than-optimal cache hunting conditions for some cachers. Other than that, nothing significant to report regarding today's weather. Thank you, Bret, and lets move on to a word from our sponsor.

Thanks, Vinny. Today's presentation of Cacher News is brought to you by Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart: where lamp post caches shine out like a ray of hope and sunshine during the dark and troubled times that lay ahead.

WalMart. Always.

Now this topic is almost complete. We've covered virtual logging and LPCs.

What's left? A comparison to Hitler, maybe a geocide?

:(

WalMart. Always.

Y'know, TTJ, thanks for reminding me... it IS way past time to invoke Godwin's Law in this thread...

And, in another vein, I have been reflecting lately that anyone who would seriously propose logging a FIND for a virtual/simulated fantasy visit to a cache might well be a Nazi, and further, might have a Hitler-like personality, and might likely, if given half, a chance, perform genocide on various unsuspecting populations.

:)

:D

;)

:):D:D:P

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

WalMart. Always.

I should report this post. CyBret and Vinny posts are valid analogies to show that virtual or simulated caching may in fact be as much fun as virtual or simulated news. Virtual or simulated commercial content is in violation of the guidelines and you need to contact appeals@geocaching.com for an exception.

The reason why I would not want a note is for paperless caching people. With only the last five logs, a note not related to geocaching may push a note related directly to the cache off of the PQ.

I love flight sims too, both combat and the passive MS Flight Simulator, but they don't relate to my cache. (Have you tried to loop the 737 like I have? I did loop the helicopter, heh.)

Note to self: When finally placing Cache #1 include virtual anti aircraft weapons.

I agree with a previuos poster - I paperless cache and get annoyed when a useless note is posted and drops actual logs off my list. I always wish you could drop a coin or TB through editing a previous log rather than having to post a note as well.

The reason why I would not want a note is for paperless caching people. With only the last five logs, a note not related to geocaching may push a note related directly to the cache off of the PQ.

Note to self: When finally placing Cache #1 include virtual anti aircraft weapons.

I agree with a previuos poster - I paperless cache and get annoyed when a useless note is posted and drops actual logs off my list. I always wish you could drop a coin or TB through editing a previous log rather than having to post a note as well.

Thanks for the info. I had never thought about notes having that effect.

(See! The forums are for more than just venting your angst.) :(

WalMart. Always.

Wait, we haven't even gotten to the Guidelines, or Religion

WalMart. Always.

>.>

The 528' rule makes baby Jesus cry!

Or Groundspeak being a evil empire....not the way to "used to be"......

That said, I have a new game. If I look on the Geocaching wesite, and see a green box on a map, I've found it. Neat game, huh?

Ya know, I may be sitting here at work on my break, counting down the time before the weekend gets here. But I'm also enjoying a fabulous view on the Hawaiian beaches of Google Earth. :(

To view the wonderful Hawaiian beaches I just have to spin around in my chair and look outside my office window. ;) Sometimes living in paradise does have its perks!

Edited by Geocaching-Geckos
To view the wonderful Hawaiian beaches I just have to spin around in my chair and look outside my office window. Sometimes living in paradise does have its perks!

Hey, no need to rub it in!! :(

I think you have...............an AGENDA (dum, dum duuuuummmm).

Although I used to live there as a kid, after we moved from Guam. Bet you can't figure out what my dad did......

To view the wonderful Hawaiian beaches I just have to spin around in my chair and look outside my office window. Sometimes living in paradise does have its perks!

Agreed! Although I'm within walking distance of the beach here in FL, not nearly as lovely.

I'm thinking about opening a 2nd account and using it to do flight sim caching. I've seen this done before, but i don't know how the forum community feels about it. I'm talking about virtually flying to interesting caches, taking screenshots of the area, landing and taking off, etc, then posting that to the cache log. Of course, it would be fully disclosed on the logs what I was doing.

Would you delete the log if someone did this?? Would you consider it to be the ruination of Geocaching? Or is it just another way (harmless) to enjoy Geocaching.com?

Sorry... you've got the wrong site. Please see www.flightsimcaching.com

Although I used to live there as a kid, after we moved from Guam. Bet you can't figure out what my dad did......

He sold parkas and mukluks!

Did I guess it right? ;):)

Just to add my 2 cents and maybe get this back on topic, I have never in my life deleted a `found it' or any other log, and I wouldn't unless it were obscene, harassing or in some way in violation of Groundspeak guidelines. I just don't care how others choose to play the game, but that's just me. Any cache owner has the right to delete logs that they choose to.

I can't imagine why anyone would delete a note, though. To me a note can be ANYTHING. It's not claiming a find, it's not professing to have been there, it's just a comment on a cache page.

I think that's right up there with posting `solved it' notes to puzzle caches that you have solved, but are way too far from your area to go find. I can understand the point about paperless cachers having potentially useful information bumped off of the last 5 or 10 logs, but I don't personally see that as a huge issue. What about somebody returning to the cache to note that they retrieved or dropped off a travel bug? It might be very useful information to somebody who was after a particular travel bug, but virtually useless information to somebody just out to find that cache for the sake of finding it.

Hey, no need to rub it in!! ;)

Hmm, let me make a guess... Was he in the military? :(

You didn't sign the log in my cache. Being close is still not good enough for a find in my book...