Cache Trash Can?

I have receintly started to notice the high amout of crap and junk ending up in caches. It seems that whenever someone has cheap watches with dead batteries, crappy McDonalds happy meal toys or wants to drum up for their business (key rings, bottle openers, pens with company logos) it ends up in a chache.

Very few people is seems are taking the time to actually make this hobby worthwhile. Yes I generalize and hope that the real cachers out there don't get offended, but is it just me that has noticed this?

I have receintly started to notice the high amout of crap and junk ending up in caches. It seems that whenever someone has cheap watches with dead batteries, crappy McDonalds happy meal toys or wants to drum up for their business (key rings, bottle openers, pens with company logos) it ends up in a chache.

Very few people is seems are taking the time to actually make this hobby worthwhile. Yes I generalize and hope that the real cachers out there don't get offended, but is it just me that has noticed this?

for many of us, perhaps the majority, the hobby is worthwhile without any stuff in the containers...

Oh, yes. I've noticed. In addition to your list, I've seen a lot of business cards (no, not cacher cards, business cards) and Jesusware.

Oh, yes. I've noticed. In addition to your list, I've seen a lot of business cards (no, not cacher cards, business cards) and Jesusware.

Couldn't just leave it at business cards? Had to go ahead and make that sweeping insult of my savior didn't you? (At least you capitalized his name.. I suppose that's something)

have receintly started to notice the high amout of crap and junk ending up in caches...

I can assure you it's not a recent phenomena. It's been a common complaint at least since I started this sport and probably before.

I learned right away that the fun was in the hunt and not to expect much as far as cache contents. If I find a nicely stocked cache I'm pleasantly surprised, but I don't let a container full of rusty key rings, bottle caps and expired Sanka coupons get me down.

It's the main reason I carry swag. I really don't care to trade but I am willing to add in a few extra items, especially for the kids. It's one of my ways of giving back to the game.
That's what I do. I never want any of the typical McJunk found in most urban area caches, and I don't want the added weight in my pack from tons of trade items. I do try to keep a few small items (2-packs of AA batteries, camper's biodegradable toilet paper with dispenser, disposable poncho, etc.) handy for leaving in the occasional exception cache.

Caches that require significant hikes usually have better swag, but we're back to the equation trade items = added weight.

Couldn't just leave it at business cards? Had to go ahead and make that sweeping insult of my savior didn't you? (At least you capitalized his name.. I suppose that's something)

Fortunately, it wasn't a sweeping insult at your savior. It was a sweeping insult at all sweatshop-manufactured goods with your savior's name on them, something I'm sure he would have disapproved of. In addition, it was a sweeping insult at people using geocaching to further their own spiritual agendas, which I believe is against the guidelines.

I'm very new to the game, but I thought the idea was to make the contents of a cache appealing to kids. I agree that in the few caches I have under my belt, I've found pretty worthless junk. I'm going about it by judging the size of the cache container: if its a large container and easy, I'm hoping kids will find it and I will leave something like a watch, a Sokudo game, a mini FM radio with batteries included, etc. Obviously, micro caches are not going to appeal much to kids, but are geared to appeal to adults for the challenge. When I take kids out caching we don't hunt for micros, and I always hope that the large ones we're looking for have a nice surprise to make the game worth it.

A considerate geocacher follows the easy adage: Trade even, trade up, or don't trade. But like all other cross-sections of society, not everybody is considerate. I rarely make trades, though I do enjoy moving travel bugs. For me I just want the hike and/or to see something interesting. But sometimes I'll bring things along to add to the cache, especially mechanical pencils.

We always try to clear a cache of expired coupons, corroded batteries -- I know a lot of people like to leave them, but they don't seem to store well, little slips of cellophane, etc.

We always seem to have stuff suitable for children in our geopack and usually end up leaving multiple items, often taking nothing.

It is up to us to police ourselves.

They key is to start out a cache by dumping tons of cash into decent swag. That way it will take at least a month before it degenerates into trash. Then, you need to perform maintenance by removing the trash and replacing it with more expensive swag. Hopefully, we can get rich off of you before you go bankrupt. If necessary, get a second job to support our hobby.

When I take kids out caching we don't hunt for micros, and I always hope that the large ones we're looking for have a nice surprise to make the game worth it.
If you rely on the actions of others (like the trade items they leave) to make something "worth it", then you're setting yourself up for failure. You yourself have to make the hunt itself "worth it" (the walk, the excercise, the time spent with family, the time spent with pets, the view, the fresh air, the thrill of finding a hard hide, the thrill of evading muggles, etc.).

I'm not saying you shouldn't trade; my son (3 years old) has to pull out and inspect everything in every cache box, and I always carry extra trade items to swap for the toy cars he just can't leave behind. I am saying that trading should ADD to the experience, not BE the experience.

Fortunately, it wasn't a sweeping insult at your savior. It was a sweeping insult at all sweatshop-manufactured goods with your savior's name on them, something I'm sure he would have disapproved of. In addition, it was a sweeping insult at people using geocaching to further their own spiritual agendas, which I believe is against the guidelines.

Perhaps you need to re-read the guidelines. Those rules do not apply to swag, only the cache itself. I'm sure my savior would not approve of someone that doesn't even believe in him saying what he would and would not approve of.

Perhaps you need to re-read the guidelines. Those rules do not apply to swag, only the cache itself. I'm sure my savior would not approve of someone that doesn't even believe in him saying what he would and would not approve of.

Re-read guidelines as per your suggestion, and you are correct. There isn't anything about Jesusware or political swag in there at all. However, I still find its inclusion in caches rude and consider it trash--which is what this topic is about.

It is not about listing what your savior would and wouldn't like; both of us are off-topic.

Pretty bigoted to intimate that all "Jesusware" as you call it is produced by "sweatshops" and Jesus would not approve of it.

Pretty bigoted to regard anything with Jesus' name on it is "trash."

At least you openly admit that it WAS AN INSULT.

Talk about guidelines, perhaps you should consider the forum guidelines.

I have noticed this as well.

I have also noticed an increased amount of "personal propaganda" being left in caches. One of note was a business card with a big ol 'Stop Abortion' across the top with a cute little fetus.

I don't even remember if there was a name on it. :|

I just find something wrong with putting items in a cache with a certain message attached to it, especially if its something that not everyone agrees on.

This could apply to religious stuff and business advertising.

It is not about listing what your savior would and wouldn't like; both of us are off-topic.

Ok, then why did you make it about that? I would have loved to have a conversation with you about junk in caches. Your post had a clear anti-Jesus agenda though and I felt it necessary to stand against such a blatant attack. If you are done with your attack, perhaps we can continue?

Pretty bigoted to intimate that all "Jesusware" as you call it is produced by "sweatshops" and Jesus would not approve of it.

Pretty bigoted to regard anything with Jesus' name on it is "trash."

At least you openly admit that it WAS AN INSULT.

Talk about guidelines, perhaps you should consider the forum guidelines.

Your "Savior" doesn't really offend me. Sometimes the 'rabid dogs' that use and abuse his name bug me. So much so that when I find "Jesusware" in a cache I do get a little offended. Not because of your savior but because I fell like it is being pushed on me. I am, after all a rather captive audience at that point. I am not part of that religion. My kids are not part of that religion. I usually remove this from caches. Just as you would probly do if I were to leave Buddhist materials in there.

On Topic: I have also found some drug pariphenalia (sp) like rolling papers in a cache. I really hope that this is just a San Francisco thing. It's really a shame to think that this could one day place our beloved game in jeopardy. And I really feel for the person who left this stuff in a cash. Keep it at home! Not in a cache for our kids.

Not because of your savior but because I fell like it is being pushed on me. I am, after all a rather captive audience at that point. I am not part of that religion. My kids are not part of that religion. I usually remove this from caches. Just as you would probly do if I were to leave Buddhist materials in there.

"My Savior" directed all his followers to tell the world about him.. At least be accurate if you are going to pretend to know his intentions.. This is DEFINITELY not the place for this discussion. Quit speaking for Jesus when you obviously don't know a thing about him.

We are finished talking about religious trade items in this thread. The listing guidelines about religious agendas apply to caches, not trade items left by others. If you wish to debate purely religious issues, use the Off Topic forum. If a religious issue is relevant and on-topic to a thread, please discuss it in a way that is respectful of others.

Fair warning.

Thank you.

I have receintly started to notice the high amout of crap and junk ending up in caches. It seems that whenever someone has 1 cheap watches with dead batteries, crappy 2 McDonalds happy meal toys or wants to drum up for their business 3(key rings, bottle openers, pens with company logos) it ends up in a chache.

4Very few people is seems are taking the time to actually make this hobby worthwhile. Yes I generalize and hope that the real cachers out there don't get offended, but is it just me that has noticed this?

1:

Perhaps the cheap watch might have had good batteries when placed in the cache- perhaps not. Other than having dead batteries, a watch, cheap or not, is pretty good swag considering normal cache swag.

2;

Kids like McToys. That is why McDonald's sells them. Kids like to find them in caches. Since adults really should be realistic and mature enough to not expect a great surprise treasure in a cache and therefore they will not be disappointed when they find nothing of value, the primary allure of "riches" in a cache hunt naturally falls to children- to whom the aforementioned toys represent a terrific find (assuming they are in good condition).

3:

All of these things are useful items in their own right. If their "message" offends you, simply leave them for someone else who might not be so easily offended and to whom they might be useful and desirable.

4:

If it takes valuable "treasure" to "make this hobby worthwhile," you are as they say S.O.L. (Somewhat out of luck) treasure is best acquired by trading fairly: Take an amount of legal tender appropriate for the value of the item(s) desired to a mercantile establishment which traffics in the item you consider of value and make a fair trade to the merchant for the items of interest. Finding treasure is a fantasy... it is NOT what "makes geocaching worthwhile."

It's the main reason I carry swag. I really don't care to trade but I am willing to add in a few extra items, especially for the kids. It's one of my ways of giving back to the game.
That's what I do. I never want any of the typical McJunk found in most urban area caches, and I don't want the added weight in my pack from tons of trade items. I do try to keep a few small items (2-packs of AA batteries, camper's biodegradable toilet paper with dispenser, disposable poncho, etc.) handy for leaving in the occasional exception cache.

Caches that require significant hikes usually have better swag, but we're back to the equation trade items = added weight.

Diito, I choose to be part of the solution.

I usually only trade for sig items. But currently leave stuffed animals in caches that ar large enough. THey don't weight that much (yep even on long hikes).

I just find something wrong with putting items in a cache with a certain message attached to it, especially if its something that not everyone agrees on.

This could apply to religious stuff and business advertising.

So, since everything sends some kind of "message," what if anything, should be put in a cache?

Everybody doesn't agree on anything.

No more cache swag. TNLNSL

Case closed.

Now, about that pesky paper log book...

I wouldn't view that as an insult to the man or the faith, but rather to the cheap trinkets that are pawned off as being of some religious value.

In my country (South Africa) Lottery Tickets cost way less than a dollar. I think its worth the excitement value even if the ticket doesn't win. You also give the chance of letting someone find some life changing treasure. Tickets can be folded up in will fit into most caches, even film canister micros. I choose tickets randomly, don't write the numbers down or ever look to see if they win. I write a note on them asking the finder to let me know if they win, which is fun, as it starts communication with other cachers. In our country tickets are valid for a year after the draw, so they can sit in caches for a long time and still be valid. I have started a couple of travel bugs that carry lottery tickets too. No wins yet, but it is early days!

This of course raises the issue that lottery tickets are a form of gambling. Again, is it one of those cases....don't like it then leave it, or would it cause (unintentional) offence?

I have receintly started to notice the high amout of crap and junk ending up in caches.

Recently? I began noticing this in 2003 and some people have noticed even earlier than that. Just do a search on McToys and you'll see posts going back to almost the very start of these forums.

We are finished talking about religious trade items in this thread. The listing guidelines about religious agendas apply to caches, not trade items left by others. If you wish to debate purely religious issues, use the Off Topic forum. If a religious issue is relevant and on-topic to a thread, please discuss it in a way that is respectful of others.

Fair warning.

Thank you.

Thanks for the warning. I never got this far down into the thread when I quoted some replies that occured before this was added. Furthermore, my comment had nothing whatsoever to do with religious trade items. My comment simply points out that one person was talking about a certain (lack of)quality of trade item, rather than a persons faith or beliefs as was alleged.

I wouldn't view that as an insult to the man or the faith, but rather to the cheap trinkets that are pawned off as being of some religious value.

To clarify what I'm talking about...I'm not talking about religious trade items in general. I'm talking about things like a handfull of foam cross stickers(20-30) that are carelessle thrown into the bottom af a large Cache, becoming damaged, and dirty, and sticking to everything in a Cache, and thus being useless to anyone and therefore TRASH. If you wanna put them into a Cache, fine. Do it in a manner in which they do not become trash(like in a baggie). This applies to almost all items in my opinion, most things I put into Caches are in a baggie, protecting them from becoming trash.

I think there is a difference between items that genuinely are fit only for the rubbish bin (I am new at all this but have already come across one cache with a toy car with no wheels. and another with a small plush toy that was filthy and had a split in the side) - and stuff that is "one man's trash another's treasure"

the first I removed from the caches in question, and left some better stuff in return. and of course they may have been in better condition when they were orginally left (although to be honest I doubt it, the cache contents were otherwise clean and dry and in excellent order)

the latter - like Maccy D toys - my son LOVES them, so I am glad people leave them, as long as they are in good order. And a bottle opener on a key ring is always useful, I don't care if it has a company logo on.

and if a cache has nothing of interest in it? I just leave a pile of stuff to stock it up a bit, let my son pick an item from my own swag so he isn't disappointed that the cache was empty / full of naff stuff, and happily move on to the next one :laughing:

happy days

I have receintly started to notice the high amout of crap and junk ending up in caches. It seems that whenever someone has 1 cheap watches with dead batteries, crappy 2 McDonalds happy meal toys or wants to drum up for their business 3(key rings, bottle openers, pens with company logos) it ends up in a chache.

4Very few people is seems are taking the time to actually make this hobby worthwhile. Yes I generalize and hope that the real cachers out there don't get offended, but is it just me that has noticed this?

1:

Perhaps the cheap watch might have had good batteries when placed in the cache- perhaps not. Other than having dead batteries, a watch, cheap or not, is pretty good swag considering normal cache swag.

2;

Kids like McToys. That is why McDonald's sells them. Kids like to find them in caches. Since adults really should be realistic and mature enough to not expect a great surprise treasure in a cache and therefore they will not be disappointed when they find nothing of value, the primary allure of "riches" in a cache hunt naturally falls to children- to whom the aforementioned toys represent a terrific find (assuming they are in good condition).

3:

All of these things are useful items in their own right. If their "message" offends you, simply leave them for someone else who might not be so easily offended and to whom they might be useful and desirable.

4:

If it takes valuable "treasure" to "make this hobby worthwhile," you are as they say S.O.L. (Somewhat out of luck) treasure is best acquired by trading fairly: Take an amount of legal tender appropriate for the value of the item(s) desired to a mercantile establishment which traffics in the item you consider of value and make a fair trade to the merchant for the items of interest. Finding treasure is a fantasy... it is NOT what "makes geocaching worthwhile."

Thanks for posting such a great response. It's so much easier for me to simply agree with you than to try to explain my position and fail to do it as well as you have done.

1:

2;

3:

4:

1. good point, I was actually thinking about the $1.95 specials you get from a vending machine.

2. Single with no kids, sorry dosn't apply

3. Not offended, even by the religious stuff being forced upon me. I just don't feel I need to know about the 20 different insurance agencies in the area.

4. It's NOT the valuable treasure, it's the hunt and getting out with Mother Nature.

A basic truism about this game is that the quality of trade items present in a cache will generally degrade over time. That being said, the examples you've given appear to be perfectly acceptable items. We can't really make a rule requiring all trade items to be embraced by all cachers, now can we?

Edited by sbell111

When I take my daughter caching, she absolutely loves the trinkets that I consider garbage. This is one of those areas that its going to be IMPOSSIBLE to come to any kind of consensus. Considering this is a family activity, items should be "Family Friendly", but beyond that, good luck coming up with any guidelines.

Hmmmm, not an expert here but I always thought you're supposed to capitalize words referencing Jesus like Savior and Him....

Swag to me is fun for the kids so at times I don't see much use for it in difficult caches. A child who would like a trinket probably wouldn't be experiencing it in a 5/5 cache. And I agree 110% on the added weight. I think maybe swag should match swagee.... a difficult hike cache filled with camping toilet paper, bug spray, sun screen, bandaids, batteries and things like that makes more sense then filling it with plastic dollar store toy items.

Hmmmm, not an expert here but I always thought you're supposed to capitalize words referencing Jesus like Savior and Him....

Swag to me is fun for the kids so at times I don't see much use for it in difficult caches. A child who would like a trinket probably wouldn't be experiencing it in a 5/5 cache. And I agree 110% on the added weight. I think maybe swag should match swagee.... a difficult hike cache filled with camping toilet paper, bug spray, sun screen, bandaids, batteries and things like that makes more sense then filling it with plastic dollar store toy items.

... Trying something else this time ...

Edited by ReadyOrNot

Fair warning.

Thank you.

Re-quoting Keystone. Drop it. Period.

3. Not offended, even by the <unnecessary and unspeakable word deleted> stuff being forced upon me.

I will never in a zillion years understand how anything in a cache is "being forced upon" anyone.

It is indeed amazing that i never see anyone ever post that they have McToys, or cheap watches, or bottle openers, or anything else EXCEPT <that unspeakable word> items FORCED upon them.

My boy got kicked out of school several years ago fro drawing a pencil drawing of a gun. I guess this kind of nonsense does shed SOME light on the baseless irrational fears some people have of harmless pieces of paper- but not bloody MUCH.

I will never understand bigotry. Sorry to be so simple.

Fair warning.

Thank you.

I recently found a dreidel in a cache. Not only a religious item, due to it being a symbol of the miraculous victory of the Maccabees over the Syrian-Greeks and of the oil that lasted for eight days, but also an item that is used for gambling. The cache itself had a cracked lid and was full of water. The wooden dreidel was caked with mud and was starting to rot. Needless to say, I removed this item of trash. :anitongue:

Fair warning.

Thank you.

I recently found a dreidel in a cache. Not only a religious item, due to it being a symbol of the miraculous victory of the Maccabees over the Syrian-Greeks and of the oil that lasted for eight days, but also an item that is used for gambling. The cache itself had a cracked lid and was full of water. The wooden dreidel was caked with mud and was starting to rot. Needless to say, I removed this item of trash. :anitongue:

I'm glad to hear that you survived the experience to tell your story <_<

Objects damaged beyond usefulness are obviously trash, regardless of their original nature. Removing them is the right thing to do. Replacing them with something that actually functions as originally intended is definitely a plus, but not really necessary. If one removes obvious trash, one improves a cache- with or without adding anything of one's own.

What puzzles me is WHY people have to point out that the items of obviously damaged trash that they remove are <unspeakable word> items. Does that make them DEADLY or something?

Would anyone get away with describing a thief as a "<insert any minority description here> thief" in every sentence with an obvious insinuation that thieves are typically <insert any minority description here>? NO! Of course not! So why is it "open season" on <unspeakable word>?

The whole <unspeakable word> part of this discussion was inserted into this discussion gratuitously, IMO probably just to "stir the pot." (And a blessed good job at that) :anitongue: