Colorado firmware 2.40 300/400

jotne

Today, March 1st, I was out caching and snowshoeing with my 300. I turned the 300 on, and as usual the time displayed was from the last time I had it on with a fix, the day before. Since the clock does not keep time between sessions, every time, I thought not much of it. Is this clock issue still a problem? And can it be fixed with a firmware update? I've looked for the topic on the clock issue and can't seem to find anything on it.

The 300 got a good fix with WAAS corrections so off I went on my 4 mi hike in the forest. It performed perfectly for the entire outing. The Eneloop AAs even held up very well in the cold using minimal backlighting, WAAS, no compass. I have 2.40.

Here's the strange part. Upon returning home and downloading my tracklog of my hike from the Current.gpx file, the time stamp and date was Feb 28th, not March 1st. Now why would it record that date? Since if goofed up, why not the previous date of Feb 29th? Did Leap Day flip it out? It seems to have realized what day it is now.

Another issue today. I was doing some cache maintenance so had created a PQ that had nearby caches, plus had disabled caches that I owned. For some reason, I couldn't get the GPS to go to ANY geocache in the list. It would come up, and I could see the cache info, but it would never activate (compass wouldn't show the arrow, map wouldn't show a line from the current position to the cache, etc.)

Has anyone else seen something like this?

--Marky

Another issue today. I was doing some cache maintenance so had created a PQ that had nearby caches, plus had disabled caches that I owned. For some reason, I couldn't get the GPS to go to ANY geocache in the list. It would come up, and I could see the cache info, but it would never activate (compass wouldn't show the arrow, map wouldn't show a line from the current position to the cache, etc.)

--Marky

Yes, exactly same with file I loaded from GSAK, but direct file was fine. I'm wondering if there's a format thing with the CO. I hope somebody smarter than me can determine the issue.

--Marky

That's exactly what happened to me today.

A couple of times it worked but for the most part, no direction. It was odd because earlier in the afternoon I routed to a waypoint with no problem.

Today, March 1st, I was out caching and snowshoeing with my 300. I turned the 300 on, and as usual the time displayed was from the last time I had it on with a fix, the day before. Since the clock does not keep time between sessions, every time, I thought not much of it. Is this clock issue still a problem? And can it be fixed with a firmware update? I've looked for the topic on the clock issue and can't seem to find anything on it.

I had a 400t that had a clock issue as you describe -- I returned it and got a replacement unit that does not have that problem (keeps time perfectly). If I were you, I would surely return it since it seems unlikely (to me) to be a firmware / software problem.

J

Here is my question to Garmin

The internal clock of my Colorado 300 does not run when powered off.

If its off for one hour, the time is one hour behind when I press the power

button to see the clock.

It does not seem to run before it get lock on satellite.

I do have frimware 2.40, and it does this at evey time I do turn it off/on.

Here is the answer from Garmin

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

The unit is set up to operate in this way. The time will remain the same once the unit is turned off. The correct time will be displayed once the unit has locked on the satellites.

With Best Regards,

My next Question

I did test ans set my alarm to go 08:30

It did run 09:00 and when GPS was on it showes 08:45

This can not be correct?

They answered with asking me to call them. I have not done yet.

My Colorado 300:

I had just reflashed firmware verson 2.40 to the GPS, and checked to see if it had the latest Receiver chip software, then reformatted a 2 GB SD card to FAT32, then put 18.5 megs of TOPO 2008 on the mem card in the card reader of the Laptop here, then put it in the Co 300, then hooked it up to USB. The GPS booted up, flickered, then shut off. So it's a dead unit. My other returned 400t was not as bad as this one is, except for the clock issue.

The clock issue, I think would be important, because if the GPS had a good almanac, and the current time in it, it would allow for faster bootup.

I am so glad I never bought a second City Nav Disk for the Colorado, since it is on my 60CSx. The issue here also is that I have had trouble with the autorouting on the 60CSx, because of it's quirks, and small screen. Have had that GPS do weird routing between Detroit and Ann Arbor here, and the little screen did not help much. This was one of the reasons for me to go to the Colorado for Caching and autorouting, because of it's high resolution, and TALL screen. so this GPS is going back to REI. When I return the Co 300 back to REI, at least I will have some money to buy a 40 Gal. Gas Water Heater, since the old one broke a month ago, I been doing everything with cold water, or having to boil water on the stove.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I seem to remember some previous messages about adding or wanting a feature similar to the 60 series and the way they behave with a vehicle power cord. It appears to work on CO firmware 2.4 -- yay!

Anywho, I got a Garmin power cord the other day and tried it on my CO 300 for the first time. When you have the cord plugged in and you unplug it from the lighter outlet or turn off the key, a message comes up asking you if you want to power down or use batteries. The unit also comes on when the cord is plugged back in to the lighter outlet. If I recall, this is how the 60 series units worked as well.

Now all I have to do is wait for the R.A.M. mount and get some routable maps and I'll be set.

--Marky

Yes, exactly same with file I loaded from GSAK, but direct file was fine. I'm wondering if there's a format thing with the CO. I hope somebody smarter than me can determine the issue.

I had the same problem yesterday with a gpx file direct from a pocket query. I did a reset of all user data (hold down both soft buttons and power on) and the problem went away.

The Garmin mount, while expensive, is pretty nice in my opinion.

Unless it will work on a motorcycle, its of no use to me -- the only time I use a car mount is for solo caching and an occasional road trip. On a motorcycle, the bicycle mount would be DOA in a few minutes from vibration. Just don't trust something that slides into the grooves on the back of the CO.

I found a couple of online 'deals' for the car kit with the mount and power cord and was tempted, as the price was only $10 more than just the power cord, but with shipping it was $10+ more than MSRP. I hate vendors like that.

--Marky

I had the same problem yesterday with a gpx file direct from a pocket query. I did a reset of all user data (hold down both soft buttons and power on) and the problem went away.

Hmm, good to know if I have problems in the field.

The unit is set up to operate in this way. The time will remain the same once the unit is turned off. The correct time will be displayed once the unit has locked on the satellites.

Ha-ha, that was a good one. As jotne already have put it, the obvious next question is how the alarm clock is supposed to work, then?

Jotne, does your unit collect barometric pressure data at 15 minute (I think it should be) intervals, when the unit is off? Provided you set up the altimeter to do that, of course.

Edited by apersson850

Has anyone else noticed this bug in the date stamp of the current.gpx file? Ever since Leap Day (Feb 29th) the date has been off one day. When connected to the PC, go to Garmin/GPX/Current/ and open the current.gpx file in MapSource to see the date/time stamp info.

I drove into work this morning just before 8am Eastern (-5:00hrs) and this is how my 300 stamped the tracklog: Current Track: 02 MAR 2008 14:45. If I'm thinking correctly, shouldn't my time (before 8:00am) have read 12:45, a well as the date being off? Not sure if this has wider effects than just the current.gpx file.

I re-installed firmware 2.40 just to be sure (I was running 2.40) last night Mar 2. Do you think Leap Day flipped things out, ala the Y2K bug concerns?

Has anyone else noticed this bug in the date stamp of the current.gpx file? Ever since Leap Day (Feb 29th) the date has been off one day. When connected to the PC, go to Garmin/GPX/Current/ and open the current.gpx file in MapSource to see the date/time stamp info.

I drove into work this morning just before 8am Eastern (-5:00hrs) and this is how my 300 stamped the tracklog: Current Track: 02 MAR 2008 14:45. If I'm thinking correctly, shouldn't my time (before 8:00am) have read 12:45, a well as the date being off? Not sure if this has wider effects than just the current.gpx file.

I re-installed firmware 2.40 just to be sure (I was running 2.40) last night Mar 2. Do you think Leap Day flipped things out, ala the Y2K bug concerns?

I just opened my current.gpx and I had tracks from 2/28, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2 and 3/3 that all looked correct.

Someone else reported a leap day bug to me a couple of days ago. If you go to the calendar and try to select 2/29/08 you can't -- the cursor just skips over the day and jumps back and forth between 2/28 and 3/1. It wouldn't surprise me if there are other issues around it.

GO$Rs

Upon leaving work I recorded another tracklog in the current.gpx file and it has correctly recorded the date and time as it should. So whatever occurred it has gotten past the little glitch from leap day. I also can not click on Feb 29th in the calendar, it jumps past that date as g-o-cachers stated.

That fixed it for me too, but it's a very annoying fix, since you have to go through all the init stuff again. Yuck. I would like to know what caused this, so that I can avoid it in the future. Is it because I had disabled caches? I did have caches I owned on there, but can't believe that would be it. From now on, my disabled caches will only be put on as POIs just as a precaution.

--Marky

I am pretty sure that Garmin will stick to a two week schedule from here out (and not indefinitely). Mark March 4 on your calendar and check here about 4:00 pm Central Time. - Pat

Your crystal ball must have been a little cloudy. :)

Edited by 3 Hawks

Here's an interesting HUGE improvement, that I somehow overlooked with all the excitement of the 2.4 release.

Previously, the penalty for loading 'additional' maps was extreme. When I pushed even a moderately large region (say, the Western US) of CN2008 onto an SD card - startup time was measured in minutes, and search operations were unbearably slow.

I finally had the motivation to dust off my unused SD card, and exported the ENTIRE US from CN2008, plus the 24K Western US topos, plus some blue chart, and even some ski area maps - came to about 1950MB.

The next day, when the export was done...

I was absolutely amazed to find that startup time hadn't suffered, at all - still well under 30 seconds.

I haven't noticed the searches being miserably slow - but haven't done a lot, and need to test it more.

So - have others adjusted their "map loadout" following the release of 2.4?

For some reason Garmin do not list any date with new firmware release, so it's some hard to look back and see when different firmware was released.

Sorry. I meant if you follow these releases "on the fly", then you'd notice that they do appear at very irregular intervals. Aren't there file creation dates, at least?

After your download is complete through usb the unit shut off. How long should the first start-up take? I have been hanging on the word Garmin for over 15 minutes now.

:laughing: , that's not a good sign. Mine is coming this morning from gpsnow and is probably the same lot # as yours. Pull the batteries and try again.

After your download is complete through usb the unit shut off. How long should the first start-up take? I have been hanging on the word Garmin for over 15 minutes now.

:laughing: , that's not a good sign. Mine is coming this morning from gpsnow and is probably the same lot # as yours. Pull the batteries and try again.

Yes, I did pull the batteries and fires up fine now. Man so far the update is awesome. I love the new lighting and being able to see road names.

Yes, I did pull the batteries and fires up fine now. Man so far the update is awesome. I love the new lighting and being able to see road names.

Nice, can't wait to fire mine up when I get home later today. Provide a partial serial # so I can compare lots when I get home. Thanks!

New today!

What can you see when you are in USB mode?

When the 12volt car charging unit is connected will you see the unit in full?

The Garmin 12Volt power supply (not charging unit) does NOT put the unit into drive mode. It has special wiring that lets the unit know it is not a computer being plugged in.

I dont know if this subject as been covered, it's becoming hard to remember, read all the issues!!!

I Have some "Ghost" Bluedot waypoint on my map with a name that begin with GCxxxxx, those cache are not on my gpx file and i erased all my Waypoint. Those caches was on my previous GPX file

where those coordinate are stored? or what can i do to get ride of them?

Edited: Not an issue, see post #292 for fix

Edited by Carignan

I dont know if this subject as been covered, it's becoming hard to remember, read all the issues!!!

I Have some "Ghost" Bluedot waypoint on my map with a name that begin with GCxxxxx, those cache are not on my gpx file and i erased all my Waypoint. Those caches was on my previous GPX file

They probably got transfered into the normal waypoints for some reason. Delete the waypoints.

They probably got transfered into the normal waypoints for some reason. Delete the waypoints.

Nop nothing in the waypoints list, the list is empty. But if found the problem, I had an Old GPI file in the POI "Point of interest" folder that i loaded a month ago in the colorado to do some tests :)

So if you see ghost cache, and your waypoints list is empty... take a look at your POI folder :)

Edited by Carignan
Anyone looking at the history of firmware updates for various Garmin models would notice that if there is something that's regular, then it's the irregular interval between the publishing of these updates.

We're 3 weeks past the last update (Feb 18) to the Colorado. I'm feeling more insistant than ever that it ultimately match all the features of the 60/76 and eTrex models. I'd like to see Garmin publish two lists:

1. A list of features the 60/76CSx has the the Colorado does _not_ have

2. A list of features they _currently_ intend the Colorado to have

These would really help people who are trying do decide which model to purchase.

If they would be clear about what features it is indended to have, then we can check them off as they show up in the software updates.

I have the 405 on order (for running), and I'm considering the 705 for bicycling, but I'll wait and see on that one. After the initial state of the Colorado, Garmin needs to re-earn my love.

Edited by Manatee87

While out caching Sunday I did notice something Garmin should consider fixing. When you go to the Geocaching shortcut is shows the list of caches nearby in proximity order. But, if you are on the move and get closer to a cache down the list than the first entry, the list does not re-sort until you go to another shortcut and back to the Geocaching shortcut. I wish it would resort on the fly.

Also, the north up bug bit me while doing something. I didn't note what I was doing at the time, but I had to go back in and set it to track up again. I think we were on the map page and moved the cursor to a cache and selected it. Will try to reproduce it later this week.

Other than that, it performed very well and we were able to locate all the caches we sought -- being able to view the description and logs in the field helped out quite a bit. I turned off the compass and noted the arrow didn't go nuts when you got near the cache.

@glenfq

Thanks for the reminder on the auto-list sort request. Someone else suggested that and I would agree it would be nice to have.

The north up issue is documented in the issues list: here's how I made it happen:

Set the Map Orientation to Track Up, goto the map page and zoom out to 50mi. Note that the map is forced into North Up mode (which is okay). Start a map pan (which holds the map in North Up mode) and zoom back in until you can see the geocache icon on the map. Select the geocache icon on the map to view the geocache information and then quit back out to the map screen by hitting Done. The map orientation configuration will be in North Up mode now.

I think mine wound up in north up mode a different way. We were hitting caches along a walking path and at most we would have been zoomed out to maybe 1.2 miles or so. I'm thinking I manually panned the cursor over a cache icon and then pressed the center button on the sit-and-spin (grin) control to view the cache details. When I canceled it was stuck in north up. I'll try to replicate it tonight.

Colorado still does not show tide as a graph (bluechart info), only max and min time.

And you can not select a specific date.

60Csx does show a nice graph and I can select what date to see.

where can you see max and min time of tide info

I can't find it on any menu...can you tell me how....?

I have colorado 300 with BC north america 9.5 installed in my gps

many tank's

It now shows World Wide Basemap on the same time as City Navigator.

I did not remember that it did that on v 2.30

Boy, did you get this one wrong. 2000 is still 1000 more that other units. It's double what you had in the beginning. I'm loooking forward to seeing this myself.

Steve :laughing:

In the North up mode, the map does not pan smoothly, but only when heading east, south, or anywhere in between. The screen waits until 1/3 inch is white before loading the next segment...no matter what the zoom level is at. Has anyone else noticed this? That is the only complaint I've really had with the Colorado. Any thoughts?

In the North up mode, the map does not pan smoothly, but only when heading east, south, or anywhere in between. The screen waits until 1/3 inch is white before loading the next segment...no matter what the zoom level is at. Has anyone else noticed this? That is the only complaint I've really had with the Colorado. Any thoughts?

Is this the problem you speak of?

167vl1.png....93mz0.png