Colorado firmware 2.40 300/400

jotne

Changes from version 2.30 to version 2.40:

Improved acquisition time in certain circumstances.

Improved power on time.

Improved backlight support.

Improved support for NiMH batteries.

Improved Wherigo player.

Added ability to show and review geocaches on the map.

Added ability to log geocaches as found.

Increased maximum geocache count to 2000.

Added support for BlueChart currents.

Added ability to view extended information for custom POI's.

Added ability for turn preview beep to reset the backlight timeout.

Corrected map to display road labels.

Corrected map to display small towns.

Corrected map to not change orientation when beginning pan mode.

Corrected metric nautical setting to display appropriate map scale.

Support for Colorado Field Notes, at geocaching.com.

PS php problems at the forum

Thanks for the tip! Currently loading. I can't wait to see street names! :anicute: And if says, "Arlington Blvd Ahead", and "Leesburg Pike Ahead" when I'm driving home (not auto-routing), I'll be really excited.

Ok, the street names are there, and I see caches that I've downloaded. So a couple of my "most important" fixes are done. Thanks, Garmin. :D

Edited by Manatee87

2000 cache is way to low.

It still does not remember back light settings after power off/on.

You can now log cache.

"Found"

"Did not find"

"Needs Repair"

"Unattempted"

jotne, welcome to this country!

Did you mean " ... way too low?"

English <--- it's a good thing. :anicute:

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

What is Support for Colorado Field Notes, at geocaching.com?

I believe this is the link between your GPS and Groundspeak that brings up the appropriate cache pages associated with the FOUND caches in your unit. At the very least it transfers your field notes into a found log. We'll have to play with this and see if that's the case and how it functions.

Holy crap! This addresses MANY issues ... why am I at work ...???!!!

And this is only what they tell us. There are many more fixes that not are listed.

This is very nice timing for me as I am leaving this Friday to cache the Bradshaw Trail between Palm Springs and Blythe, CA. I can patch the unit, test during the week, and be off and running, woohoo!

Changes from version 2.30 to version 2.40:

Improved acquisition time in certain circumstances.

Improved power on time.

Improved backlight support.

Improved support for NiMH batteries.

Improved Wherigo player.

Added ability to show and review geocaches on the map.

Added ability to log geocaches as found.

Increased maximum geocache count to 2000.

Added support for BlueChart currents.

Added ability to view extended information for custom POI's.

Added ability for turn preview beep to reset the backlight timeout.

Corrected map to display road labels.

Corrected map to display small towns.

Corrected map to not change orientation when beginning pan mode.

Corrected metric nautical setting to display appropriate map scale.

Support for Colorado Field Notes, at geocaching.com.

PS php problems at the forum

Where are you finding this update? It's not at Garmin's website.

jotne, welcome to this country!

All American people thinks that there are only one country in the world.

This site is for all, not only US

This has NOTHING to do with any of that. I was commenting on your ability to express yourself in English. I didn't assume that you were new. I was making a crack. Similar to what I might have typed, had I thought you would have understood: Would you like to buy a vowel?

Where are you finding this update? It's not at Garmin's website.

If you would look at the appropriate thread regarding the updates, as well as my post above (actually -- no, I deleted that), you will find the appropriate link. Also, you have have use Web Updater to get the download, so you might as well let it take you there.

And yes, it IS on their website. The information is new and not all the servers have updated. Do what I wrote above and you will get the update. - Pat

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

I don't agree or disagree here. What I would eventually like to see is the ability to toggle which GPX files we want active. I have no real issue with a 2000 cache limit if I were able to have more than that in the GPX folder and then have some settings page where I could checkmark which ones I want to be active.

One improvement that may be in there that I don't see mentioned. Cache infomation loads much faster. I base this off of playing with the beta version of this release at the REI event. After work, I'll give it a try and see what the access times are if you have close to 2000 caches loaded.

--Marky

I don't agree or disagree here. What I would eventually like to see is the ability to toggle which GPX files we want active. I have no real issue with a 2000 cache limit if I were able to have more than that in the GPX folder and then have some settings page where I could checkmark which ones I want to be active.

That's a great idea. I know a lot of caches slow the loading time. Well, it's obvious they are monitoring this site, so if we whine enough it may appear later.

You will find this update form Garmin Webupdater:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=999-99999-27

Some time ago Garmin did start to post firmware update first on webupdater, and then some days later as manual download. Some units can only be updated trough webupdater.

I think that there is no need for Webupdater. For the Colorado 300 for example, you find the firmware 2.40 here as downloadable file:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3889

Stefan

Edited by FGS-D187

I don't mean to be a complainer, but how do I now turn OFF the display of GeoCaching icons on the map. They completely overwhelm my display. The release notes make it sound like it's an option but I don't see it. Has anyone found the option?

Thanks,

Greg

This can be set with altering the zoom level for POI on the maps.

Setup -> Map -> Options "Left button" -> Advanced -> Zoom Levels -> User Waypoints.

I have mine at 800 meters.

An extra note so far as retrieving the update.

Although I had already done the DL but had not run/installed it,

I ran the webupdater and lo and behold it was going to retrieve the 2.40 update for me.

Gee everyone is posting faster than I can compose.

I ran the download without the updater so that is NOT a necessary step.

Apparently you can do it either way.

Edited by LightHouseSeekers

Yeah, now it'll be real easy for urban cachers to upload "TFTC" logs, golly gee!

You should live here in Central Texas! I even created a cache that pokes fun at Copy & Paste cache logs, for that very reason. My control has become lax of late, but I was demanding that the finder post a copy and paste of the original log found on this cache (that was the FTF prize, by the way) along with any comments of their own.

I really wish I now had the GPS link to my digital camera so I could know with certainty which cache I was at when I snapped a picture.

For cheapskates like myself Webupdater is not an option. I only have internet access from work...and I don't load software onto the community computer there. I'll either save the Colorado 300 v2.4 onto my flash drive to take home with me or wait for the official Colorado 400t update. I'd really like to get this update into my 400t and play with it this weekend.

First you said:

You will find this update form Garmin Webupdater:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=999-99999-27

Some time ago Garmin did start to post firmware update first on webupdater, and then some days later as manual download. Some units can only be updated trough webupdater.

Then you said the following:

You do not "need" webupdater, but is's a good tool to update any new Garmin GPS.

I hate to be critical, but I wasn't able to download my file without the updater.

When your unit "can only be updated through webupdater," that sounds like a "need" to me!

First WebUpdater didn't appear to work. Now it seems to work very well.

I think we can start the clocks and keep Garmin true to their promise of releasing updates every two weeks. I wonder what jewels will be forthcoming on March 4?

I don't mean to be a complainer, but how do I now turn OFF the display of GeoCaching icons on the map. They completely overwhelm my display. The release notes make it sound like it's an option but I don't see it. Has anyone found the option?

Thanks,

Greg

This can be set with altering the zoom level for POI on the maps.

Setup -> Map -> Options "Left button" -> Advanced -> Zoom Levels -> User Waypoints.

I have mine at 800 meters.

That's disappointing. I was hoping/assuming they would make them separate settings. I would like to see Geocaches when I'm using my Geocaching profile, and only user waypoints when not Geocaching. Oh well, maybe next update?

Thanks,

Greg

That's an impressive list of updates. This is my first Garmin product after owning the old yellow Sportrak, then a Sportrak Pro, then a 500LE. I was always envious of the support I heard about from Garmin, and it weighed heavily on my decision to put off buying a Triton, and picking the Colorado instead. So far I'm thrilled with their support of this unit.

I really wish I now had the GPS link to my digital camera so I could know with certainty which cache I was at when I snapped a picture.

OT: have you tried any of the picture to tracklog mapping utilities out there? They work amazingly well even if your camera clock and GPS clock are out of sync. I meant to suggest a feature like that to Jeremy for the site, where you could just upload a batch of photos and it would attach them to the nearest cache log.

--Marky

Manual download:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3889

400t

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3891

400i

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3893

400c

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3895

Files are the same if you unzip them, so you can upgrade all 4 with same image.

Same hardware, same firmware.

OT: have you tried any of the picture to tracklog mapping utilities out there? They work amazingly well even if your camera clock and GPS clock are out of sync. I meant to suggest a feature like that to Jeremy for the site, where you could just upload a batch of photos and it would attach them to the nearest cache log.

--Marky

I have not and was not aware of such things.

A similar idea: What about cache associated waypoints, available on the cache page itself, that downloads not only the waypoint, but their related pictures onto your GPS and are available in the field? Think about that. Pulling up a cache to find and then having the ability to go to and view pictures taken at these nearby points or points along a route.

Since victorymike is logging, think about what Mike could do during one of his caching days of taking pictures along the two-track/trail, at the cache, and back. Or following someone else's trek and adding to that information.

I think we're onto something. :anicute: