Colorado firmware 2.40 300/400

jotne

Is there a limit on how large a GPX-file can be (in MB) ?

When GPX-files on my Colorado is bigger than 10 MB (and still < 2k caches) I can't se any geocaches at all !!

Has any one else seen this problem ?

Bo / Denmark

Team Blis-

I have not had this experience. In fact - quite the contrary. First, I loaded up just under 2K caches - and was impressed by the unit's responsiveness, both startup and operationally when viewing cache data, etc. Cache icons are displayed on the map at varying levels (if set to Auto, which seems to work now), or always (if set to a max zoom level like 500miles).

So, just for kicks - I decided to up the ante, a bit. I pushed all caches within a 50 mile radius of me, here in the SF Bay Area - which was just shy of 5K caches. Imagine my surprise when not only did it work -- but the performance was still snappy!

This 5K worth of caches in contained in a GPX file that's over 24MB in size. I'm going to crank it up one more time - pushing my entire 11K NotFound database - and see what happens.

Interesting: with 11116 caches pushed to the unit (via a single GPX file generated from GSAK, limited to 5 logs per cache), the unit definitely took noticeably longer to start up. Once it did - at first glance, I thought it actually WORKED - I saw caches on the map. But then, I realized - it was the same ~5K of caches I had loaded previously. Perhaps, this huge GPX file (over 54MB) failed to parse, on startup - and the unit simply defaulted to displaying what was already parsed and loaded into the Current.GPX file?

Just as an experiment, I've removed Current.GPX, leaving my 54MB GPX file in place. Upon restart - I was surpised to find the same 'subset' of caches displayed. Looks like, given my current location and surrounding cache density - that I can load everything within about a 32 mile radius, or... whaddya know:

Right around 2K caches.

Guess those firmware release notes were not only specific - but correct! It's interesting to note that you can (or, at least, I'm able to) push a larger GPX file, but only the first 2K caches are parsed and displayed.

Here's a new annoyance: Terracaches no longer show up as "geocaches" - or at all, for that matter. I have a GSAK database that combines TCs in with GCs. I then export a GPX file wiht both flavors of caches to the Colorado. Previously, TCs showed up among the GCs. Now they're gone - the Colorado apparently just ignores them. Boo!

Yes variety is good to have, 'til someone removes it.

Blue-ray just won out over HD DVD, these annoyances happen!

Every GPSr by a different manufacturer made before their current issue, is, or will be WASSless in a matter

of time. Just sooner for some than others, that's all.

Norm

I have noticed these since the updates, or have they always been there?

*Often times I have to recalibrate the compass to get it to track correctly.

*The track up and track north always get reset when i switch from one cache to the next.

*When transferring wirelessly to another colorado, it only copies the cache name and coords. It doesnt send any info like the description, logs, hints, etc.

Am I the only one having these issues?

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the geocaching "last 5 logs" are now missing? After updating to 2.40 I loaded my PQs of about 1,000 caches (as I had done before updating) and went out caching today. I have the full cache description and hint, but nothing at all for past logs.

I just tried a fresh update and still no logs. What I have done is extract the .gpx files from my PQs and copy them to my Garmin/GPS folder on my 300. Worked before, but not now.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the geocaching "last 5 logs" are now missing? After updating to 2.40 I loaded my PQs of about 1,000 caches (as I had done before updating) and went out caching today. I have the full cache description and hint, but nothing at all for past logs.

I just tried a fresh update and still no logs. What I have done is extract the .gpx files from my PQs and copy them to my Garmin/GPS folder on my 300. Worked before, but not now.

Yeah, just noticed on mine as well. Last night, I had the original one-at-a-time .gpx files I did using the geocaching page and Garmin Communicator, and they had the last 5 logs. I did a pocket query later and manually moved the file to my 300, and I can see the cache description, etc..., but no logs.

Wait! I found them. Pull up your cache list. Select a cache and click the center button of the wheel to display the cache heading overlaid on the map. Click Options > Show Description, which will show the whole cache page. Click Options > Show Logs to see the logs.

I think I did actually find a bug in 2.4. Switch to the Automotive profile -- notice the zoom level is not displayed? Now move the cursor to scroll the map -- boom! The screen is redrawn and the zoom level is now displayed at the top of the screen between the two soft keys. Click Done and it goes away again. The zoom level is displayed properly on all the other profiles.

Wait! I found them. Pull up your cache list. Select a cache and click the center button of the wheel to display the cache heading overlaid on the map. Click Options > Show Description, which will show the whole cache page. Click Options > Show Logs to see the logs.

Wow, that's a relief! Thanks qlenfg! I sure missed seeing that change. I was freakin' out in the woods today 4 miles from from my PDA (that I don't carry anymore because of my spiffy 300) when I got stumped and needed any clue from logs I could get.

Wow, that's a relief! Thanks qlenfg! I sure missed seeing that change. I was freakin' out in the woods today 4 miles from from my PDA (that I don't carry anymore because of my spiffy 300) when I got stumped and needed any clue from logs I could get.

Another bonus! If there are hints in the log, there will also be a Show Hint selection when you click Options. In 2.3 it was always there, whether the log contained hints or not.

*When transferring wirelessly to another colorado, it only copies the cache name and coords. It doesnt send any info like the description, logs, hints, etc.

Jeremy told me this was an intensional implementation decision. I gave him a few reasons/examples why it would be valuable to transfer the info. Of course, it would be Garmin who would add this feature. I think it's needed though.

Another bonus! If there are hints in the log, there will also be a Show Hint selection when you click Options. In 2.3 it was always there, whether the log contained hints or not.

Actually it's the opposite. With 2.4 if there are no hints, there is still an option to "show hints". With 2.3 that option was only there if there was a hint to show.

Actually it's the opposite. With 2.4 if there are no hints, there is still an option to "show hints". With 2.3 that option was only there if there was a hint to show.

I beg to differ -- note the screen caps.

Firmware revision and cache without hints:

210.GIF95.GIF

Cache with hint and hint displayed:

141.GIF154.GIF

<snip>

Odd. Perhaps I had a corrupt GPX file or something. I could have sworn it was the other way around. Oh well, at least my GPSr boots completely in 19 seconds now, even with 800+ caches loaded, and I don't have to go to the extra work of loading them as waypoints to get them on the map!

<snip>

Odd. Perhaps I had a corrupt GPX file or something. I could have sworn it was the other way around. Oh well, at least my GPSr boots completely in 19 seconds now, even with 800+ caches loaded, and I don't have to go to the extra work of loading them as waypoints to get them on the map!

Definitely in 2.3 there was only an option to show the hint if one existed ( which is the behavior with 2.4 ) ... unless someone still running 2.3 can prove me wrong ( it's happened before ... well ... once anyway, :lol: )

Edited by nicolo

Definitely in 2.3 there was only an option to show the hint if one existed ( which is the behavior with 2.4 ) ... unless someone still running 2.3 can prove me wrong ( it's happened before ... well ... once anyway, :lol: )

If I recall correctly, the hints selection was always there in 2.3, but it said something like 'no hints' when you clicked it. Precisely why I got excited about the feature in 2.4. Keep in mind I dumped the .gpx files I had loaded with 2.3 and downloaded one large .gpx file from a pocket query and copied to the unit manually after the 2.4 upgrade.

I posted a separate topic about the auto zoom not working, but no responses so far. Anyone else noticed this?

Edited by qlenfg

Jeremy told me this was an intensional implementation decision. I gave him a few reasons/examples why it would be valuable to transfer the info. Of course, it would be Garmin who would add this feature. I think it's needed though.

I do not see any good reason for using the wireless transfere when not all is transfered. It's much better then to mail my friend the whole gpx file with everything in place.

So when I can mail, why not wireless transfer full information ???

I posted a separate topic about the auto zoom not working, but no responses so far. Anyone else noticed this?

When you say "not working", what behavior are you observing? While I would like to see there be a unique "zoom level" setting for caches (as opposed to all "User Waypoints") - but, when set to Auto - it seems that it is working in some 'automatic' fashion (e.g., I think caches are visible at below 3 miles zoom?)

What would be ideal behavior for you - and what are you experiencing?

I do not see any good reason for using the wireless transfere when not all is transfered. It's much better then to mail my friend the whole gpx file with everything in place.

So when I can mail, why not wireless transfer full information ???

The thinking was that the person you were transferring the geocache to was going to be caching WITH you, so wouldn't need anything besides the coords. I think this may be true most of the time, but I definitely think that there are still cases where you might want all the info transfered.

If I recall correctly, the hints selection was always there in 2.3, but it said something like 'no hints' when you clicked it. Precisely why I got excited about the feature in 2.4. Keep in mind I dumped the .gpx files I had loaded with 2.3 and downloaded one large .gpx file from a pocket query and copied to the unit manually after the 2.4 upgrade.

I can't confirm it with a screen shot or anything, since upgrading to 2.4 - but I am 100% confident that in 2.3, if a cache did not have a hint - the left softkey wouldn't even have the "Option" label, and there was no "Show Hint" - just a "Done" on the right softkey.

Seems like it's still working that way now, right? Only, slightly re-arranged, now that logs are a separate selection... e.g. from Show Description, now there's Show Logs - and, if applicable - show hint. Right?

At least, that's what I'm seeing on a collection of caches with and without hints.

When you say "not working", what behavior are you observing? While I would like to see there be a unique "zoom level" setting for caches (as opposed to all "User Waypoints") - but, when set to Auto - it seems that it is working in some 'automatic' fashion (e.g., I think caches are visible at below 3 miles zoom?)

What would be ideal behavior for you - and what are you experiencing?

You are thinking about the zoom level feature. That feature removes user waypoints and caches from the screen once you zoom out to the preset level, to prevent a map full of icons. That part works for me.

On the other GPS units I have owned, when you tell it to navigate (GO TO) to a waypoint, the autozoom feature zooms the map out so your location and the waypoint are both visible on the screen. You see your current position and the waypoint connected by a straight line. As you get closer, the map zooms in closer, still keeping both points on the screen.

On the other GPS units I have owned, when you tell it to navigate (GO TO) to a waypoint, the autozoom feature zooms the map out so your location and the waypoint are both visible on the screen. You see your current position and the waypoint connected by a straight line. As you get closer, the map zooms in closer, still keeping both points on the screen.

On the geocaching screen, this worked fine for me in 2.3. I haven't tried with 2.4 yet.

--Marky

You are thinking about the zoom level feature. That feature removes user waypoints and caches from the screen once you zoom out to the preset level, to prevent a map full of icons. That part works for me.

DOH! You're absolutely right. I read your other thread, and realized immediately that I'd had it all wrong. Sorry 'bout that. I know exactly what you're talking about - though I can neither confirm nor deny the behavior of my unit at this time. I'll do some testing during the drive up to Tahoe tomorrow, and see how it behaves.

On the geocaching screen, this worked fine for me in 2.3. I haven't tried with 2.4 yet.

--Marky

Now that I'm on the right page, and know what we're talking about... it doesn't appear to function as it does on a 60CSx - e.g., no "Auto Zoom".

I selected a cache a good distance away, along the route I've got loaded for tomorrow's 'commute' - and when I select "Go To Location" - there's no "Auto Zoom" (ironically, there IS auto zoom on the first page that comes up - the combined summary, compass pointer and map page. But after selecting Go To Location, and the switch to a full-screen map - the zoom simply reverts to whatever zoom level the map was last at.

It's good that it works on the first page - since, like others, I'm finding this to be a very useful page - but it would be nice if the auto zoom feature worked when in full-screen map mode.

Edited by SnoWake

I haven't checked autozoom with off-road routes good enough to have any opinion about that. I've been out driving with the Colorado, v 2.40, and autozoom does work when following that kind of routes, and also when not following any route at all.

I'll see what happens to me when following an off-road route as well.

Keep in mind I only have the base maps loaded, so the unit won't do actual routing. It may, in fact, work with a routable map loaded, but I haven't bought any maps yet. Even my ancient eMap, which still works great, did the zooming.

In the Automotive profile, when you pick a waypoint and tell it to go there, it does warn you about not being close to a road, but in the Geocache and Recreational mode it shouldn't try to route.

jotne, welcome to this country!

All American people thinks that there are only one country in the world.

This site is for all, not only US

Ah, yes; xenophobia rules! :P:D:D

Here we see American xenophobia ("welcome to this country") and European xenophobia ("All American people thinks that there are only one country in the world")! Boys and girls, get on a plane and visit each other's countries! You will have a ball, and you will probably learn something!

I don’t know if this is only in the 2.4 version probably not, but if noticed something in the auto naming of new waypoints.

When doing multiple Multi caches on one day I start the first cache with WP1 by marking my current position this will automatically get the name 001.

The next will be 002 etc.

When starting the second multi cache the first WP I rename to 101, the when marking new WP the automatically get the names 102, 103 etc.

At least that is how it is working on my 60CSx, not on the CO

The Co will look for the first WP name available for example if the last one used was 009 it will name every new marked WP 010.

I then have to rename it 102, and the next time I mark a new WP it will get the name 010 again so that a have rename that WP to 103 my self

I find this most annoying since the way you in put text on the CO is the worst ever. :unsure:

So we finally got to test the 2.4 firmware with some real caches. I did a pocket query, snagged all the local traditional caches, copied the two files to the Colorado and we set out for a few hours of fun.

Using the geocaching shortcut, I selected the closest cache to the house and set off. I left the cache heading on the screen rather than selecting the full page map. Navigating with the red arrow and the distance indicator, the Colorado got us pretty close, although sometimes the arrow got confused and pointed back the wrong way, despite the distance decreasing. When in doubt, trust the distance. It appears you have to walk around at a pretty good pace to get the arrow pointing back the right way. If you have a pretty good idea where the cache is, circle it and watch the arrow.

Being able to log the cache as found and the Colorado showing you the next closest cache worked very well and the field notes upload went off without a hitch. I just wish you could delete the file from the Colorado while online, rather than having to browse the internal memory and manually deleting the file. One oops may delete something important.

Anyway, we were 10 for 11 this morning, with one DNF cache off in the briars and the arrow leading me back and forth quite a bit. It looks like they still need to tweak some stuff as the unit gets lost in fairly light tree cover. We got about 6 hours out of a set of questionable Never-Ready rechargeables with the backlight turned down all the way and the screen was very readable in moderate sunlight.

Did you have the magnetic compass enabled?

You don't have to delete the found cache list file, if you don't want to, as the web site will keep track of which are new. But if you want to, I see no more convenient way than doing it with the computer connected. If it wasn't a joke, but you actually are afraid that you'll delete something else, then I don't really know what to say... Save the beer until you are ready, maybe??

although sometimes the arrow got confused and pointed back the wrong way, despite the distance decreasing. When in doubt, trust the distance.

We just got back from some caching and saw the exact same thing. The compass was off (I double checked several times). We would be headed straight for the cache and it would all of a sudden switch 180 degrees. It sometimes took 30 seconds or more to correct itself and switch back to pointing the right way. And the whole time the distance was decreasing as expected. I was using track up at the time. After awhile I switched to North up and I didn't notice the problem after that.

Greg

Will try the north up thing and see if that helps. I did notice when you have the cache overlaid on the map, the map stays north up. Can't remember what it does when you switch to the full page map view.

I usually just compare the current location with the cache coordinates and walk accordingly, but I thought I would try using their tools this time. May let the wife use the Colorado and I'll use the old iFinder Go2 and see which one does the trick.

Will try the north up thing and see if that helps. I did notice when you have the cache overlaid on the map, the map stays north up. Can't remember what it does when you switch to the full page map view.

I usually just compare the current location with the cache coordinates and walk accordingly, but I thought I would try using their tools this time. May let the wife use the Colorado and I'll use the old iFinder Go2 and see which one does the trick.

This weekend I found that the map pointer didn't update very well/often ( I track up ). I started using the compass pointer which worked much better.

although sometimes the arrow got confused and pointed back the wrong way, despite the distance decreasing. When in doubt, trust the distance.

We just got back from some caching and saw the exact same thing. The compass was off (I double checked several times). We would be headed straight for the cache and it would all of a sudden switch 180 degrees. It sometimes took 30 seconds or more to correct itself and switch back to pointing the right way. And the whole time the distance was decreasing as expected. I was using track up at the time. After awhile I switched to North up and I didn't notice the problem after that.

Greg

I have notice the same thing. I had to get my GPS V out to find some caches. I even pulled the batteries to see if I could get it to "reset" somehow. On my last cache for the day, I calibrated the compass, and then stared getting true readings with the arrow. Prior to that I would just have to watch the distance to the final.. if it was going down I was getting closer. Sad, but that was the only way I could find the caches.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not, I wish Under log attempt, there was a 5th choice. That would be "Delete".

"Unattempted" leaves the cache on the list and it shows up on "nearest to"

How about someone inventing a USB cable with a switch on it so you could switch the DATA lines in or out when plugged into the computer. That way you could see your changes without having to go through the unplug, reboot, plug in, reboot etc. You could make Millions!!

Did this update address the ability to enter in coordinate say when you find another stage of a multi??

Currently, you have to press and hold the center button to mark a waypoint, click the Edit button, click the Change Location button, edit to match the coords of the next stage. Back out to the Where To? shortcut (I don't know of a shortcut to get to that screen) and select the newly created waypoint.

Are you just asking for an easier way to stay "in" the current cache, but adjust the coords to a new waypoint? That would definitely be nice if you were doing a multi.

Are you just asking for an easier way to stay "in" the current cache, but adjust the coords to a new waypoint? That would definitely be nice if you were doing a multi.
Are you serious? The current method takes two presses on the Enter key, as well as a few clicks of wheel turning, but that's so easy to do that I don't count it. Then you are at the coordinate entry screen.

How much simpler do you think it could get, without getting in the way of the most common thing, i.e. store a point here?

Regarding the USB cable, I don't really see the benefit? The only thing it will do is that you don't need to remove the cable. Pulling a USB cable out is about as much work as flipping a switch. The rest would be the same anyway. You could loose millions...

Edited by apersson850
Are you serious? The current method takes two presses on the Enter key, as well as a few clicks of wheel turning, but that's so easy to do that I don't count it. Then you are at the coordinate entry screen.

How much simpler do you think it could get, without getting in the way of the most common thing, i.e. store a point here?

Regarding the USB cable, I don't really see the benefit? The only thing it will do is that you don't need to remove the cable. Pulling a USB cable out is about as much work as flipping a switch. The rest would be the same anyway. You could loose millions...

The Colorado should scan the clue with the coordinates, perform optical character recognition and transfer that data to the new waypoint. I don't think that's too much to ask. :laughing:

Yes, I'm pretty serious. Maybe you don't do many multi caches, where you have to determine the next coords based on the previous coords, and based on the cache description and maybe you want to refer to the hint now and then for each stage? It is, in fact, a lot of key presses, to switch between waypoint gotos and the geocaching description field or hint.

Let's say you are going to stage 2 of a multi. As described above, you've created a waypoint, and did a Where to? to go to it. Let's say you are on the compass screen. To see the hint for stage 2 and then come back to the compass screen, you have to:

You have to

[Press]Shortcut->

[Wheel to]Geocache[press center]->

[Wheel to]<The cache you are on>[press center]->

[press]Options->

[Press]Show Description->

[Press]Options->

[Wheel to]Show hints[Press center]->

(read the hint)->

[Press]Back->

[Press]Back->

[Press]Shortcuts->

[Wheel to]Where to?[Press center]->

[Wheel to]Waypoints[Press center]->

[Press]{Stage 2}->

[Press]Go->

[Press]Shortcuts->

[Wheel to]Compass[Press center]

That's 22 total UI interactions to read the hint and get back to the compass screen. (Rotating the wheel, and pressing the center button are two separate UI interactions.)

If the geocaching mode had a "Update coords" under the "Options" softkey, you could read the hint in 6 UI interactions and be back at the Compass/Map combo screen, which is the screen I like to use while searching. Not to mention that you'd have to go through that sequence a bunch of times, if it had multiple stages. Just editing the geocache coords instead of creating a new waypoint or editing an existing waypoint would save you a bunch of UI interactions as well.

Personally, I'd like to see "Update Coords" and "Project New Coords" in the geocaching mode, although not very many caches use projection, so that one could probably be left as a special case where you would have to use a waypoint.

--Marky

The map on mine does not pan smoothly anymore. it waits until about a 1/4 of the screen is white til it uploads the next segment of map. it didn't do this before updating to 2.40. anyone else experienced this?

I too have been seeing this hapening. It seems to be kinda hit and miss when I pan across a map screen to look at another area it will leave a blank 1/4 to 1/2 right side of screen when panning to the right. I hpe this re-draw feature will get fixed in the next update!!!!

The map on mine does not pan smoothly anymore. it waits until about a 1/4 of the screen is white til it uploads the next segment of map. it didn't do this before updating to 2.40. anyone else experienced this?

I too have been seeing this hapening. It seems to be kinda hit and miss when I pan across a map screen to look at another area it will leave a blank 1/4 to 1/2 right side of screen when panning to the right. I hpe this re-draw feature will get fixed in the next update!!!!

I have noticed it pause longer on redraw when panning. I wonder if this has to do with the change from pan only as north up in 2.4

Ya i am asking if there is an easier way to stay in the current cachebut adjust to new coords??

Did this update address the ability to enter in coordinate say when you find another stage of a multi??

Currently, you have to press and hold the center button to mark a waypoint, click the Edit button, click the Change Location button, edit to match the coords of the next stage. Back out to the Where To? shortcut (I don't know of a shortcut to get to that screen) and select the newly created waypoint.