Colorado firmware 2.40 300/400

jotne

Instead, they use Groundspeaks symbols--regular caches with the green/white cache icon, puzzles as a blue question mark, etc. I really like this and it saves me the extra step of having to send both caches and waypoints.

It just keeps getting better and better.

The only thing is Earthcaches appear as mystery or puzzle caches (the blue question mark).

7. Geochace. I would like to see geocache icon in the geochace list page.

Other -> Geochace. Then display a small icon at bottom right for all cache listed. This way it’s easy to see if it’s a multi cache, standard cache etc

Like this (made with MsPaint ) !

2014b.jpg

And I want icons not only for Geocaches - will be nice to have for Waypoints and POIs as well.

Okay, are you going to share this with everyone else? This would be cool to have.

Other -> Geochace. Then display a small icon at bottom right for all cache listed. This way it’s easy to see if it’s a multi cache, standard cache etc

2014b.jpg

And I want icons not only for Geocaches - will be nice to have for Waypoints and POIs as well.

Okay, are you going to share this with everyone else? This would be cool to have.

Just right-click and "save as" :D

Hmmm.... Tracks not showing up on the map now. Now that its daylight I fired up my 300 and drove to work. No tracks showing up on the map. Show tracks appears to be on in the settings and it worked with the old firmware, but no tracks today.

That's odd, mine worked on my 400t ( with 2.4 ) when I went outside last night to find a cache.

Edited by nicolo

I just received a 400t from REI yesterday and updated to the latest GPS software and firmware that Garmin released. Serial #18Z002764.

I must have a bad unit:

It doesn't keep time when turned off (i.e. I turned it off at 9:52pm last night, and this morning when I turned it on, it still thinks it is 9:52).

It easily loses Satellites, and there is a mismatch between the "GPS accuracy" bars (shows full bars) even when the unit is searching for satellites.

It's crashed several times: marking a waypoint, using the 3D view, pushing the right-softbutton in certain menus (very random; not easily reproducible).

I just noticed that Alkaline batteries (with the unit set on Alkaline) last maybe 3 hours.

Ah well.... back to REI.

Edited by jmedlock

Hmmm.... Tracks not showing up on the map now. Now that its daylight I fired up my 300 and drove to work. No tracks showing up on the map. Show tracks appears to be on in the settings and it worked with the old firmware, but no tracks today.

That's odd, mine worked on my 400t ( with 2.4 ) when I went outside last night to find a cache.

Was qlenfg referring to tracks or track log? Are they the same thing? I was confused so I didn't comment.

Was qlenfg referring to tracks or track log? Are they the same thing? I was confused so I didn't comment.

Ahhh, I see. I thought that he meant tracks. I've not even played with track logs yet, oops!

... now I'M confused, thanks a lot Marky! :D

This is SOOO cool, Cachemate ( and a second device ) just became obsolete for me.

That right there is what might make me buy one. I love my 60CSx, but being able to leave the PDA at home? That might just make me jump ships.

Hold your horses - or arses. Whether this replaces your PDA depends on how you use your PDA. If you only use the PDA to view cache info, you're set. However, if you use your PDA to take notes on cache condition, what you saw along the way, trades, etc., this is not a replacement as there appears to be no way to record such things.

This is SOOO cool, Cachemate ( and a second device ) just became obsolete for me.

That right there is what might make me buy one. I love my 60CSx, but being able to leave the PDA at home? That might just make me jump ships.

Hold your horses - or arses. Whether this replaces your PDA depends on how you use your PDA. If you only use the PDA to view cache info, you're set. However, if you use your PDA to take notes on cache condition, what you saw along the way, trades, etc., this is not a replacement as there appears to be no way to record such things.

Ummm, I guess that you missed this part ...

Added ability to view extended information for custom POI's.

How does this work?

I did try to make a waypoint with both a name and description using MapSource.

Seaved it as gpx file and then transfered to GPS using POI loader.

I still only see then name and no description.

I just received a 400t from REI yesterday and updated to the latest GPS software and firmware that Garmin released. Serial #18Z002764.

I must have a bad unit:

It doesn't keep time when turned off (i.e. I turned it off at 9:52pm last night, and this morning when I turned it on, it still thinks it is 9:52).

It easily loses Satellites, and there is a mismatch between the "GPS accuracy" bars (shows full bars) even when the unit is searching for satellites.

It's crashed several times: marking a waypoint, using the 3D view, pushing the right-softbutton in certain menus (very random; not easily reproducible).

I just noticed that Alkaline batteries (with the unit set on Alkaline) last maybe 3 hours.

Ah well.... back to REI.

I could be way off base with this one, but I don't think that you've allowed your unit to initially bake. If the almanac was complete and current, satellite acquistion would be much more efficient than this.

While searching for satellites, did you think of choosing a new location? Once this is done, locking on is considerably easier. Not doing it on a new unit that has been sitting off, in a box, could cause acquisition to fail. This seems to be what's going on here.

Backlight limiting seems to be always on, even if I have set it to off.

Setup -> Display -> Backlight Limeting ->off.

Can anyone else try this and see if you can get full backlight when battery is at one bar.

I have a single red bar right now, after being continuously on for 12+ hours. The backlight will NOT come on. I'm not sure what would happen with a single green bar . . . already passed that point.

Edited by Snake & Rooster
Backlight limiting seems to be always on, even if I have set it to off.

Setup -> Display -> Backlight Limeting ->off.

Can anyone else try this and see if you can get full backlight when battery is at one bar.

I have a single red bar right now, after being continuously on for 12+ hours. The backlight will NOT come on. I'm not sure what would happen with a single green bar . . . already passed that point.

I had my backlight limiting turned on, but had a drained set of batteries. I put those back into the unit, turned it on, saw the half red bar for the battery level, turned off my backlight limiting and I am not able to get any backlighting when I crank it up.

It looks like the new feature does not work.

I will say, however that these batteries were just on the brink of of complete drain. The unit powered down while I was typing my response above. So there may still be a limit where lighting is turned off.

Yesterday afternoon, I spoke with Bob in Garmin Customer Support who told me that there were still battery issues that they were working on. He also told me that he had just been passed a note indicating that yesterday's release was ready. Which came first I do not know, but feel that they are still tweaking both things.

He also urged me to use the Contact Us feature and make suggests for things that I felt needed to be added or corrected.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

Ummm, I guess that you missed this part ...

"Ummm," I wasn't responding to you. I was trying to prevent a user who obviously does not yet have a Colorado from making an erroneous assumption about how much its "logging" feature can do.

("Ummm" has got to be one of the most overused and pointless forum cliches. So 2000.)

Yes, it was the tracks on the displayed map that were missing. I went back to check the settings and turned them off and back on, and now its working. Haven't hooked it back up to the PC yet to see if I can download the tracks in MapSource, but I have faith it will work.

Hope to hit a couple of caches tonight to see how it goes. I did notice the accuracy is staying around 10 feet when stopped, and 16-20 feet when moving. Satellite signal is either 4 or 5 bars all the time sitting on the console.

Changes from version 2.30 to version 2.40:

Improved acquisition time in certain circumstances.

Improved power on time.

Improved backlight support.

Improved support for NiMH batteries.

Improved Wherigo player.

Added ability to show and review geocaches on the map.

Added ability to log geocaches as found.

Increased maximum geocache count to 2000.

Added support for BlueChart currents.

Added ability to view extended information for custom POI's.

Added ability for turn preview beep to reset the backlight timeout.

Corrected map to display road labels.

Corrected map to display small towns.

Corrected map to not change orientation when beginning pan mode.

Corrected metric nautical setting to display appropriate map scale.

Support for Colorado Field Notes, at geocaching.com.

PS php problems at the forum

"Improved acquisition time in certain circumstances."

Is this Garmin's way of saying we fixed the clock issue, or is this something totally different?

I must have a bad unit:

Ah well.... back to REI.

I could be way off base with this one, but I don't think that you've allowed your unit to initially bake. If the almanac was complete and current, satellite acquistion would be much more efficient than this.

While searching for satellites, did you think of choosing a new location? Once this is done, locking on is considerably easier. Not doing it on a new unit that has been sitting off, in a box, could cause acquisition to fail. This seems to be what's going on here.

I've been keeping a close watch on the Colorado threads and I know about giving the unit plenty of time outside (with clear sky) to update its almanac. I left the unit outside for a full 30 minutes (it aquires satellites quickly) and over time it would start to lose them; I did this 3 times.

Last night, at 9:52pm I finished doing the 3rd "alamanac" update and turned the unit off to see if it would keep time over night. When I turned the unit on this morning, it still showed 9:52pm.

I might be wrong, but I do think the hardware is faulty on this particular unit.

Last night, at 9:52pm I finished doing the 3rd "alamanac" update and turned the unit off to see if it would keep time over night. When I turned the unit on this morning, it still showed 9:52pm.

I might be wrong, but I do think the hardware is faulty on this particular unit.

You're not wrong. Return it and get a functioning unit. The clock should be running when the unit is off (even if it's not "baked" yet).

--Marky

You can now log cache.

"Found"

"Did not find"

"Needs Repair"

"Unattempted"

Loggin the cache as "Did not find" will mark the cache as found on the Colorado :)

If you look at the map, the symbol will change to an "open treasure chest"...

Well, they used the "open treasure chest" to indicate that you were there, so don't try to go there again. They didn't have another appropriate icon to use for DNF. I agree, not the best thing, but completely functional for my use.

--Marky

You can now log cache.

"Found"

"Did not find"

"Needs Repair"

"Unattempted"

Loggin the cache as "Did not find" will mark the cache as found on the Colorado :)

Well, they used the "open treasure chest" to indicate that you were there, so don't try to go there again. They didn't have another appropriate icon to use for DNF. I agree, not the best thing, but completely functional for my use.

--Marky

It might be nice to maintain the cache type icons, but change the background--green for found, red for DNF, yellow for needs repair, and transparent for unattempted.

Some interesting findings about how the GPX files are processed. When you put a new GPX file on the unit, it goes through and builds waypoints out of any child waypoints in the GPX file. I'm not sure what else it is doing, but a side by side comparison shows that it is doing something, because I have two Colorados, one that had already been started once and one that hadn't. The one that had been started once powered up in 21 seconds. The other, processing 1700+ geocaching and child waypoints in a single GPX file, took much longer. Turning if off and on again, it came up in 21 seconds.

To test the theory, I deleted all the waypoints and power cycled the GPS. No waypoints were created from the GPX file on the unit. Start time 21 seconds. I mounted the GPS on my computer, and using the 'touch' command, modified the date of the GPX file on the GPS. I powered it back up and it took much longer than 21 seconds, and the waypoints re-appeared.

Not sure how useful this tidbit of info is.

--Marky

It still does not tie map selection to the profile.

I would like to have Topo maps when recreation and CityNavigator to Automotive.

Agreed! This would be a good usability update.

Have either one of you contacted Garmin and stated your preferences about this? Just curious. I have Garmin Customer Support in my contacts on my cell phone. Maybe I'm "different." :)

You can now log cache.

"Found"

"Did not find"

"Needs Repair"

"Unattempted"

--Marky

I agree whole-heartedly and would like to add:

When you select "Did not find" for a given cache MARKS the cache as UNFOUND, not found.

This is not easily checked, but should indicate this condition upon logging online.

I know. I know. That's not what you meant, but since we are discussing fixes and existing problems, this is not a problem. There may be some tweaks needed, but this isn't a error. Agreed? - Pat

2014b.jpg

Just right-click and "save as" :)

No, how do you get the icons to appear next to the cache name just like in the picture?

Is there a limit on how large a GPX-file can be (in MB) ?

When GPX-files on my Colorado is bigger than 10 MB (and still < 2k caches) I can't se any geocaches at all !!

Has any one else seen this problem ?

Bo / Denmark

Thanks goodness.

I thought it was only me!

I have 1350 caches, with 300 child waypoints.

Yet I can't upload it because it's 11mb!

Stu

p.s. still can't "Mark" then "Go To" as described on previous thread.

Yeah, now it'll be real easy for urban cachers to upload "TFTC" logs, golly gee!

You should live here in Central Texas! I even created a cache that pokes fun at Copy & Paste cache logs, for that very reason. My control has become lax of late, but I was demanding that the finder post a copy and paste of the original log found on this cache (that was the FTF prize, by the way) along with any comments of their own.

I really wish I now had the GPS link to my digital camera so I could know with certainty which cache I was at when I snapped a picture.

Check RoboGeo. You can set your camera's clock to the same time as your GPS reciever. There doesn't have to be a connection between the GPSr and the camera. The software will later compare photo times with your GPS log times and associate them. It will embed the position info into the photo file and create a Google map and such.

Not sure if this is a new annoyance or a remnant of the pre 2.4 era but when I go into geocaches from the "where to" menu The map orientation is hijacked from Track Up to North Up. Its really annoying when the compas is pointing straight ahead and the pink line is pointing in a different direction (unless your travelling from due south to due north to find your cache). Is this a new one or an oldie?

PS: The map orientation is hijacked from Track Up to North Up anytime you hit go-to a cache. You would think that this would be one time you would want to be Track Up right? :)

Some interesting findings about how the GPX files are processed. When you put a new GPX file on the unit, it goes through and builds waypoints out of any child waypoints in the GPX file. I'm not sure what else it is doing, but a side by side comparison shows that it is doing something, because I have two Colorados, one that had already been started once and one that hadn't. The one that had been started once powered up in 21 seconds. The other, processing 1700+ geocaching and child waypoints in a single GPX file, took much longer. Turning if off and on again, it came up in 21 seconds.

To test the theory, I deleted all the waypoints and power cycled the GPS. No waypoints were created from the GPX file on the unit. Start time 21 seconds. I mounted the GPS on my computer, and using the 'touch' command, modified the date of the GPX file on the GPS. I powered it back up and it took much longer than 21 seconds, and the waypoints re-appeared.

Not sure how useful this tidbit of info is.

--Marky

I had about 100 caches in mine, and I did notice it took a while on the first boot, and then after that it was like a jackrabbit. I'm fairly certain they index the GPX file to make the boot faster. Add one more GPX file and see what it does at boot.

PS: The map orientation is hijacked from Track Up to North Up anytime you hit go-to a cache. You would think that this would be one time you would want to be Track Up right? :)

It should be configurable (or retain the orientation that you have set). I would not want it to default to track up - I always cache North Up and use Track Up only for driving... so preferences differ...

No, how do you get the icons to appear next to the cache name just like in the picture?

This was not a screen shot from the Colorado.

It was cut and paste in MS Paint (I wrote that in the head of the picture).

It is on my wish list ... so I'm sorry, right-click and save is the only option :rolleyes:

Nice of them to tell us when they come out with an update. I could have used it when I went caching today if I had known. :rolleyes:

Two comments on this one:

I was actually immediately notified of the revision.

I just happened to be on the phone with Garmin when my support person was handed a note, telling him that the revision was available on the web page. It was so recent that I had trouble finding it. Customer Support and I walked through their web page together. It appeared in house while it didn't appear for me. I assume they have an internal server that saw this change before the server that takes the page out to the Internet.

I don't see what you want.

You have access to the Internet and their web site like we all do. You have WebUpdater that you can run and see if there is a new revision (which now works, by the way.) You are also aware of the revision, are you not? You just mentioned it. I posted the revision as soon as I found it was available (on the appropriate page -- which few of you seemingly read.) Not sure what else is reasonable.

I could call you if you wish, after I become aware of it. As for the mint on your pillow ... :ph34r:

I am pretty sure that Garmin will stick to a two week schedule from here out (and not indefinitely). Mark March 4 on your calendar and check here about 4:00 pm Central Time. - Pat

I've reported that map selections aren't retained in profiles.

Garmin will fix this, confirmed.

-----------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Garmin(Europe)Ltd.

I have already forwarded this on and it will be fixed in the next

software version.

Kind regards

PS: The map orientation is hijacked from Track Up to North Up anytime you hit go-to a cache. You would think that this would be one time you would want to be Track Up right? :rolleyes:

It should be configurable (or retain the orientation that you have set). I would not want it to default to track up - I always cache North Up and use Track Up only for driving... so preferences differ...

This is one of the profile definable attributes. You select which one you want:

Setup > Map > Orientation > North Up / Track Up / Automotive Mode

Looks like a great set of updates. I'm glad to see the addtion of a true geocaching mode. Can't wait to get back to the US and try it. I'll be doing a major update to the FAQ and issues list based on the 2.4/2.6 release once I get back (I'm in the middle of a 11 day Belize/Guatemala vacation w/geocaching of course!)

I did notice something neat while on vacation.

Try pressing up arrow/down arrow while in geocaching mode. Maybe it's already been discovered while I was away.

GO$Rs

Nice of them to tell us when they come out with an update. I could have used it when I went caching today if I had known. :lol:

Two comments on this one:

I was actually immediately notified of the revision.

I just happened to be on the phone with Garmin when my support person was handed a note, telling him that the revision was available on the web page. It was so recent that I had trouble finding it. Customer Support and I walked through their web page together. It appeared in house while it didn't appear for me. I assume they have an internal server that saw this change before the server that takes the page out to the Internet.

I don't see what you want.

You have access to the Internet and their web site like we all do. You have WebUpdater that you can run and see if there is a new revision (which now works, by the way.) You are also aware of the revision, are you not? You just mentioned it. I posted the revision as soon as I found it was available (on the appropriate page -- which few of you seemingly read.) Not sure what else is reasonable.

I could call you if you wish, after I become aware of it. As for the mint on your pillow ... :lol:

I am pretty sure that Garmin will stick to a two week schedule from here out (and not indefinitely). Mark March 4 on your calendar and check here about 4:00 pm Central Time. - Pat

The update was made an entire day before I found out about it. If I hadn't stumbled across a thread in this forum (note: not Garmin's forum, this one), I wouldn't have even known about it. I have registered my GPS with Garmin. They should email me when they have an update for it, not wait for me to check in.

Try pressing up arrow/down arrow while in geocaching mode. Maybe it's already been discovered while I was away.

I found that the first day I bought it. I showed it to people in person, but never thought to post it here. Sorry about that. I *real* manual would be nice for finding these hidden gems.

--Marky