Colorado firmware 2.40 300/400

jotne

Are you just asking for an easier way to stay "in" the current cache, but adjust the coords to a new waypoint? That would definitely be nice if you were doing a multi.
Are you serious? The current method takes two presses on the Enter key, as well as a few clicks of wheel turning, but that's so easy to do that I don't count it. Then you are at the coordinate entry screen.

How much simpler do you think it could get, without getting in the way of the most common thing, i.e. store a point here?

Yes, I'm pretty serious. Maybe you don't do many multi caches, where you have to determine the next coords based on the previous coords, and based on the cache description and maybe you want to refer to the hint now and then for each stage? It is, in fact, a lot of key presses, to switch between waypoint gotos and the geocaching description field or hint.

Let's say you are going to stage 2 of a multi. As described above, you've created a waypoint, and did a Where to? to go to it. Let's say you are on the compass screen. To see the hint for stage 2 and then come back to the compass screen, you have to:

You have to

[Press]Shortcut->

[Wheel to]Geocache[press center]->

[Wheel to]<The cache you are on>[press center]->

[press]Options->

[Press]Show Description->

[Press]Options->

[Wheel to]Show hints[Press center]->

(read the hint)->

[Press]Back->

[Press]Back->

[Press]Shortcuts->

[Wheel to]Where to?[Press center]->

[Wheel to]Waypoints[Press center]->

[Press]{Stage 2}->

[Press]Go->

[Press]Shortcuts->

[Wheel to]Compass[Press center]

That's 22 total UI interactions to read the hint and get back to the compass screen. (Rotating the wheel, and pressing the center button are two separate UI interactions.)

If the geocaching mode had a "Update coords" under the "Options" softkey, you could read the hint in 6 UI interactions and be back at the Compass/Map combo screen, which is the screen I like to use while searching. Not to mention that you'd have to go through that sequence a bunch of times, if it had multiple stages. Just editing the geocache coords instead of creating a new waypoint or editing an existing waypoint would save you a bunch of UI interactions as well.

Personally, I'd like to see "Update Coords" and "Project New Coords" in the geocaching mode, although not very many caches use projection, so that one could probably be left as a special case where you would have to use a waypoint.

--Marky

Sheesh. That may be accurate but it didn't seem THAT bad to me on the multi-caches I did this weekend. Mark waypoint, edit location, go towards waypoint, select cache for the description en-route. It WOULD be easier to modify the cache directly. But it was no ordeal anyway.

I think Marky does multi-caches the same way I do. I like to see the double yellow boxes as my next stage or the final in a multi cache. I would like a way to edit the existing coordinates of the multi to the newly discovered coordinates of the next stage or the final while always have the cache description and hints right there. Also it would be nice to edit the location of a puzzle cache when solved to the location of the physical container.

Edited by BiT

All right, now I see what you mean. As geocaches are a different kind of animal in a Colorado, compared to waypoints, I doubt we'll see any ability for the Colorado to edit the GPX file the geocaches came from, or the cache database that's built from these GPX files. Maybe, but I doubt it. It probably depends upon how they've structured their database, and its relation to the GPX file, if this is easy or tricky to implement.

Waypoints are something else, and for them, I can't really see a very much more efficient way of modifying the coordinates than the present one. Which also was what I responded to, as I thought that was what you were asking.

As it is now, you have to create a new waypoint, with the next step of that multi, and head for the waypoint, but read the hints and description for something elsewhere, as the original location of such a multi isn't where it really is. I understand this 100% now, but didn't at first. There aren't many multi caches around here.

No wonder if the stupid change to panning in track up also ruined the smooth panning, in addition to wrecking the whole idea of panning all together. Wouldn't that be typical?

The beauty of track up is that you can easily compare the map view with the surrounding terrain, as you move through it. But as soon as you start panning, that reason for track up disappears, as you no longer can see the terrain around the point you've panned to. If you could, you wouldn't need to pan.

So, when panning, it's much better to have a consistent reference, and then the old map book principle of having north up is just as good, or really better, than anything else. It's especially significantly better than having a new direction upwards on the display each and every time you enter panning. This used to work well on the Colorado, but constant whining about it, from users who probably hadn't thought all the way about this, made them destroy it. Or whatever the reason was. But it feels like "you asked for them to ruin it, and they did".

Fortunately, if you use the perspective mode instead of the vertical projection track up mode, it will all the time pan in north up. As long as they don't ruin that too, at Garmin, it works pretty well anyway.

Edited by apersson850

By the way, did you notice that with 2.4 in Track up if you start panning then zoom out to 50 miles the display switches to North up. Then you can zoom back in where you were and the display is still North up. Exit panning and you go back to Track up again. I don't know if this is by design or oversight but it could be a workaround of sorts. BUT, if you select a Waypoint or Geocache while panning then the North Up gets locked. At that point you have to go back to setttings to change to Track up again.

My wife and I talked North up vs Track up while caching this weekend. We came to the conclusion that some people think in absolute position (North up) while others think in terms of relative position (track up). When using track up I can get disoriented easily so I very much prefer North up when panning. So to get my bearings in 2.3 I could just pan. My wife on the other hand can lose her bearings when the map switches to North up. So if we could just get Garmin to make this a settable option then everyone would be happy.

Greg

By the way, did you notice that with 2.4 in Track up if you start panning then zoom out to 50 miles the display switches to North up. Then you can zoom back in where you were and the display is still North up. Exit panning and you go back to Track up again. I don't know if this is by design or oversight but it could be a workaround of sorts. BUT, if you select a Waypoint or Geocache while panning then the North Up gets locked. At that point you have to go back to setttings to change to Track up again.

My wife and I talked North up vs Track up while caching this weekend. We came to the conclusion that some people think in absolute position (North up) while others think in terms of relative position (track up). When using track up I can get disoriented easily so I very much prefer North up when panning. So to get my bearings in 2.3 I could just pan. My wife on the other hand can lose her bearings when the map switches to North up. So if we could just get Garmin to make this a settable option then everyone would be happy.

Greg

I'm pretty much in your wife's camp with this feature. I went caching this weekend and I just couldn't get my bearings with my new Colorado GPS when it was in the "North Up" mode. I finally had to resort to the old walk-this-way, walk-that-way method to determine where the cache was by the distance decreasing.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising, that I've have this very same discussion with my fiance. I'm definitely a "north up" guy, and having the map "pan" around me is totally disorienting, and doing the 'correction' to determine a mental 'track up' image (e.g. is that a left or right turn, coming up?) is second nature.

Conversely, Daphne absolutely prefers "track up", which seems absolutely intuitive, and 'correct' (it is, after all, exactly aligned with how you're "seeing the world"). I have to concede to that perspective, but have struggled dealing with the rotating map, or, for example, seeing the SF Bay Area "upside down", with the pacific ocean on the right side of the map.

I'm using "Automotive mode" to ease into track up - at least that unique perspective lends itself to that orientation.

I hope I made it clear that I'm talking about two different situations:

1. Reading the map while moving through the terrain.

2. Panning the map while being elsewhere.

Competing in orienteering since 1972 have taught me the benefit of item #1. When you desire efficiency, there's no option. But when panning, I want the same reference each time I do it. Then north up is the most logical one.

That Garmin units revert to north up when you zoom out is just because when you do that, you are looking for an overview. You can't orient yourself relative to things you see around you anyway, as with these scales, they aren't visible on the map. Hence north up. Exactly what I suggest. For overview north up, but for checking your progress in the terrain track up.

Wait! I found them. Pull up your cache list. Select a cache and click the center button of the wheel to display the cache heading overlaid on the map. Click Options > Show Description, which will show the whole cache page. Click Options > Show Logs to see the logs.

Wow, that's a relief! Thanks qlenfg! I sure missed seeing that change. I was freakin' out in the woods today 4 miles from from my PDA (that I don't carry anymore because of my spiffy 300) when I got stumped and needed any clue from logs I could get.

Another bonus! If there are hints in the log, there will also be a Show Hint selection when you click Options. In 2.3 it was always there, whether the log contained hints or not.

I don't understand why you guys didn't see this. Surely you saw the list: Show Description, Show Logs, Show Hint (does not appear if no hints are available) when you pressed the options button and were going to Descriptions. The list is there. You had to select which one. You made the selection, but you didn't read the choices?

I can see how you might have had a momentary lapse of comfort when the logs weren't there, but wouldn't you normally have then thought "Okay. If I select Options>Show Hintm I'll see the hints ... okay. That's still there. Now I see the Show Logs button."

I really, really, really believe its stuff like this that got all those initial Colorado haters off on the wrong foot. It wasn't the unit. The unit performed. It was the user unfamiliar with the unit who wasn't performing.

A question: Were both of you guys/gals wearing sunglasses? Maybe you just weren't seeing what you were doing?

I think Marky does multi-caches the same way I do. I like to see the double yellow boxes as my next stage of the final in a multi cache. I would like a way to edit the existing coordinates of the multi to the newly discovered coordinates of the next next stage of the final while always have the cache description and hints right there. Also it would be nice to edit the location of a puzzle cache when solved to the location of the physical container.

I'm not sure what the "next stage of the final" is, and I also am not sure what the "next next stage of the final" is.

First stage, next stage, ... , Final stage

Whereas in a two stage multi-cache, there is no "next stage."

I always mark a waypoint and edit the coordinates to the next stage. I label that appropriately (2nd stage, 3rd stage, Final stage, etc.) and make it a geocache symbol. Then, on the calendar (obviously I am referring to the GPSmap 60 units) I see each stage found. If I "Moose Out" on a stage and can't find it, I edit the icon to indicate a moose. If I do not attempt the stage (say I fall, rip my shirt, get mad and leave) I edit the icon to the island icon, indicating that I passed this one up.

In the Colorado I would do the exact same proceedure, minus the calendar and if I need to cache description, etc. I'm just out of luck. Regardless of paperless caching, if I'm going to attempt a complex cache with multiple stages, out comes the paper with hints and any information I feel I may need for that cache.

If I were doing multiple multi-caches (more than one multi-cache on any given day), I would load these into my PDA and make sure I had that available, Colorado or no Colorado. I would also have them loaded up in my backup unit, now a GPSmap 60CSx and revert back to the old ways in case of failure of my Colorado.

Someone may then ask why I'm carrying my 60. Answer: With all the funky claims that have been made on here, don't I want my back covered? YES, the 60CSx will be ON and either in my hand, on my belt, or in my pack. Otherwise I will be running without a backup.

I hope I made it clear that I'm talking about two different situations:

1. Reading the map while moving through the terrain.

2. Panning the map while being elsewhere.

I was talking about #2 (I wasn't very clear). When panning around the map I want the map to be in North Up for the reason you describe. The Track Up while panning is very disorienting for me in this case. But for #1 I do like Track Up.

My point was that Garmin should make Track Up or North Up while panning an option.

Greg

Edited by wazkaren

Is it where you can Select Category?

Where To?>Shopping/Food&Drink/Fuel Services/Lodging/Entertainment/Recreation/Attractions/Transportation/Auto Services/Community/Hospitals/Geographical Points/...Other>Options>Select Category

Or was that here before?

I don't understand why you guys didn't see this. Surely you saw the list: Show Description, Show Logs, Show Hint (does not appear if no hints are available) when you pressed the options button and were going to Descriptions. The list is there. You had to select which one. You made the selection, but you didn't read the choices?

I can see how you might have had a momentary lapse of comfort when the logs weren't there, but wouldn't you normally have then thought "Okay. If I select Options>Show Hintm I'll see the hints ... okay. That's still there. Now I see the Show Logs button."

I really, really, really believe its stuff like this that got all those initial Colorado haters off on the wrong foot. It wasn't the unit. The unit performed. It was the user unfamiliar with the unit who wasn't performing.

A question: Were both of you guys/gals wearing sunglasses? Maybe you just weren't seeing what you were doing?

I'm not sure what the "Hintm" is.

Hintz, Hinta, ... , Hintxzy

Whereas my CO has a "Show Hint."

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. Since upgrading to 2.40, my 400t sometimes will hang on power up. The only solution is to remove the batteries and power back on. The symptom is that when you power on, you get the "Garmin" initial splash screen, but the copyright statement below it never appears. This has happen three times since upgrading to 2.40, and is not easily reproducible (occurs randomly).

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. Since upgrading to 2.40, my 400t sometimes will hang on power up. The only solution is to remove the batteries and power back on. The symptom is that when you power on, you get the "Garmin" initial splash screen, but the copyright statement below it never appears. This has happen three times since upgrading to 2.40, and is not easily reproducible (occurs randomly).

That's interesting because I noticed it twice this afternoon as I was playing around with mine, same symptom as you, hung at the Garmin logo. I'll add it to the list.

GO$Rs

That's interesting because I noticed it twice this afternoon as I was playing around with mine, same symptom as you, hung at the Garmin logo. I'll add it to the list.

GO$Rs

I'm having the same thing and it's completely random and not very often. We need to alert Garmin Tech. This will be hard to find because tech will not know where in the boot up sequence the units are in. Lets hope theirs are doing the same thing.

Glenn

I'm not sure what the "Hintm" is.

Hintz, Hinta, ... , Hintxzy

Whereas my CO has a "Show Hint."

First of all, it doesn't say "Hintm." Its says Hintm with words behind that. I.E., part of a sentence.

The "m" should have been a "," (comma)

I don't know about you guys, but my Colorado says "Show Hint," which is what I typed. Even though this is a typo, how is this confusing? There are only two things it could possibly have said: Show Logs or Show Hint

If you read anything, even Show Hintx, wouldn't you know that means that selecting this would show the hint?

Ohhhhh, I see. You were being pissy? :laughing:

Clarity, its a good thing. Some typos, especially with my new laptop with a funky keyboard, aren't always going to be found. SO SORRY! LMAO

Is it clear now, or do I need to whip out my flash cards?

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

GO$Rs

I'm having the same thing and it's completely random and not very often. We need to alert Garmin Tech. This will be hard to find because tech will not know where in the boot up sequence the units are in. Lets hope theirs are doing the same thing.

Glenn

I have had my 400t freeze at odd times, but never, ever on startup. Even before the latest upgrade. Sounds to me like it may be a function of the files you are loading. Either the number of files, number of records in the files, or the contents of the files. If I'm not seeing it, it can't be a generic software problem.

I've had my 400t lockup once: connected to laptop (in mass storage mode) and spent an hour backing up the information in 400t internal memory to my hard disk.

When I disconnected the 400t it turned off. When I turned it back on, it hung during startup at the "Garmin" screen and that's it. I had to remove the batteries to recover.

J

I have a 300, and the lockup you describe has happened to me on four or five occasions since I got it a week ago. (Using 2.40)

I was trying to post here an hour ago about my Colorado 300 problems, but the Internet crashed here, then I had much more trouble with the 300 hanging when turning on, or connecting to USB port on the PC. Before updating, I had the GPS do a premature shutoff, and hanging up, just minutes after purchase of the unit. I had my Map60CSx with me, and when I looked at the screen, found it froze, also before that I had found a cache about a mile from the store the GPS came from, and it shut off, as I was looking for a cache with the 60CSx.

Yesterday I was putting at least 960 map tiles of TOPO 2008 on the SD Card, then later, several maptiles blanked out on the GPS, then I switched to a smaller SD card, and put just a few maptiles on it, but still had random tiles blanking out, usually most of the screen, but not all. Did a total Reset by pressing both soft keys pluss Power button for several seconds, then the Map tiles came back. Too many troubles with this 300. Will hold on to it for a bit more, maybe until the next update, but wondering if I continue having trouble with Topo 2008 and random hangups and shutoffs, should I take it back for a 400t? or should I stick with the 300??

Edited in> Another internet crash here.

I had the 400t, but had taken it back for the 300, because of clock issues with the 400t

Edited by GOT GPS?

I purchased the 400T last night and I am not pleased. After reading all the happy people with the firmware update, I thought it was time to get it. Perhaps it was so srewed up to begin with, the changes that were made overshadowed all the major problems it still has. For $600 I cannot believe they still have so many issues.

My biggest complaint is the battery issue and it is not usable as is. I put in freshly recharged (in expensive charger) batteries. After about 15 minutes of messing with it, I get the warning the batteries are low. It then shows the red bar. Sometimes a few minutes latter it will show 3 bars. But then it will show nothing but the red bar. With the red bar, the backlight will not work and I need it to see the screen. I put these batteries in my 60CSX and they show a full charge. I have tried this with fully charged PowerX, Enginerzier, and RayVoc batteries. It does the same on all of them. I also tried changing the setting to alkine and lithium to see if that would help but it did not. Does this sound like a defecitve unit or just firmware issues?

I've got the 4 gig internal memory, type M chipset version running the most recent firmware.

I am seriously thinking of taking it back. I really like the big screen, but things are much easier to see on my 60CSX.

I forgot to mention that when it gets to the red bar on the CO and shows full charge on the 60CSX, half the time it will not boot up, it stops in the middle of booting up.

Edited by myotis

I purchased the 400T last night and I am not pleased. After reading all the happy people with the firmware update, I thought it was time to get it. Perhaps it was so srewed up to begin with, the changes that were made overshadowed all the major problems it still has. For $600 I cannot believe they still have so many issues.

My biggest complaint is the battery issue and it is not usable as is. I put in freshly recharged (in expensive charger) batteries. After about 15 minutes of messing with it, I get the warning the batteries are low. It then shows the red bar. Sometimes a few minutes latter it will show 3 bars. But then it will show nothing but the red bar. With the red bar, the backlight will not work and I need it to see the screen. I put these batteries in my 60CSX and they show a full charge. I have tried this with fully charged PowerX, Enginerzier, and RayVoc batteries. It does the same on all of them. I also tried changing the setting to alkine and lithium to see if that would help but it did not. Does this sound like a defecitve unit or just firmware issues?

I've got the 4 gig internal memory, type M chipset version running the most recent firmware.

I am seriously thinking of taking it back. I really like the big screen, but things are much easier to see on my 60CSX.

I forgot to mention that when it gets to the red bar on the CO and shows full charge on the 60CSX, half the time it will not boot up, it stops in the middle of booting up.

May sounds like you received a lemon unit, I'd take it back for an exchange.

Since I bought mine on Jan 17 I have had the "regular" cited problems, including the battery issues ( ~ 2.5 hours, then 2 bars left ) but since upgrading to 2.4 of the firmware that battery problem is gone and I have cached all day ( well, over 10 hours ) with 2 bars left.

I still have the occasional unit freeze issue, usually when loading a cache page ( "Read Description" ), but it's not a big deal to me - it doesn't mean that I think that it's OK, I just have faith that Garmin will fix it down the road if it is technically possible.

Yup, definitely exchange your unit.

May sounds like you received a lemon unit, I'd take it back for an exchange.

Since I bought mine on Jan 17 I have had the "regular" cited problems, including the battery issues ( ~ 2.5 hours, then 2 bars left ) but since upgrading to 2.4 of the firmware that battery problem is gone and I have cached all day ( well, over 10 hours ) with 2 bars left.

I still have the occasional unit freeze issue, usually when loading a cache page ( "Read Description" ), but it's not a big deal to me - it doesn't mean that I think that it's OK, I just have faith that Garmin will fix it down the road if it is technically possible.

Yup, definitely exchange your unit.

First of all, Garmin is still working on battery issues. This was covered further up this thread or a very similar thread. (IF the GPS worked like these threads do, we'd never get outdoors.)

The battery indicator (the initial problem) has been fixed. It may still need a slight tweak, but its at least 95% fixed in my opinion. Improved battery life is a separate issue which is STILL being worked on by Garmin. You have to realize that's going on here. On one hand you have users griping that they display is too dim. On the other hand, you have the same users complaining that the batteries don't last very long. Most of these complaints are with unspecified capacity NiMH rechargeable batteries that it is unclear if they have been cycled appropriately to achieve maximum full charge. You have a larger, brighter screen, greater storage, and different hardware from the GPSmap 60 units, yet people expect more pixels illuminated, to be able to run the backlight the entire time the unit is in use, running the unit continually from sunrise to sunset ... even considering they have ample time to charge another pair of batteries (or have a pair on hand), KNOWING that Garmin is working on the issue, and they still complain. Its like a husband complaining that his 7 month pregnant wife is fat! "Man, my wife is fat. She's getting fatter every week. I've asked her to lose weight, but she keeps getting bigger. I know she's due in two months, but she just doesn't listen to me!"

It sounds to me that the first poster above has a defective unit. It almost sounds to me that the batteries aren't seating in the battery bays properly or they have gunk on one or both terminals. What they describe was taken care of in the 2.40 software update. If they are still having similar issues, I would check that the update was installed completely. This is easy to verify. If that isn't it, they really need to take the unit back to where they got it for a new one.

My experiences with the 400t I purchased on January 23 are very similar to the second poster above. I'm pleased with my device and see it getting better and better with future updates.

As far as cache descriptions looking odd or not loading, this is most likely an issue with non-supported codes / commands in the GPX file. If it works on other models / brands and not the Colorado, Garmin should address it. If other brands / models do the same thing, I suspect GC needs to filter or convert the text for the pocket queries and 'Send to GPS' features to eliminate the unsupported codes / commands.

One feature that would be cool on the CO is to have the 'Send to GPS' download images related to the cache to memory so you could view graphic hints, etc...

A couple of points, yes the batteries are charged properly with a Maha Charger that cycles and all that stuff. I tried cleaning the terminals and that did not help.

Called Garmin, had me talk to supervisor. He said it was not a defective unit. He said I should try new rechargeable batteries. After talking to him, I found some alkaline batteries and they did the same thing. So I am leaving to take it back to REI.

Another thing I am really upset about is I will have to spend another $130 to buy City Navigator again. V 2008 only lets you unlock one unit. Not only that, they won't let you transfer it from one unit to another. IMHO, that is a big rip off. Garmin should be sued. If you upgrade your computer, you don't have to buy all new software. You can transfer it to your new computer. I've bought all the earlier versions but since I have upgraded GPSs, all my unlock codes are used up for even the earlier versions. Does anyone know away around Garmin ripping you off and not letting you transfer your software?

A couple of points, yes the batteries are charged properly with a Maha Charger that cycles and all that stuff. I tried cleaning the terminals and that did not help.

Called Garmin, had me talk to supervisor. He said it was not a defective unit. He said I should try new rechargeable batteries. After talking to him, I found some alkaline batteries and they did the same thing. So I am leaving to take it back to REI.

Another thing I am really upset about is I will have to spend another $130 to buy City Navigator again. V 2008 only lets you unlock one unit. Not only that, they won't let you transfer it from one unit to another. IMHO, that is a big rip off. Garmin should be sued. If you upgrade your computer, you don't have to buy all new software. You can transfer it to your new computer. I've bought all the earlier versions but since I have upgraded GPSs, all my unlock codes are used up for even the earlier versions. Does anyone know away around Garmin ripping you off and not letting you transfer your software?

The one time I've returned a unit to Garmin for repair, and they replaced it with another, I simply had to call them and explain the situation and they gave me a new unlock code. Assuming you are swapping out units at REI, you should be able to do the same thing. If you are returning the unit for your money back, I'm not sure. I think a call to Garmin will likely result in a satisfactory solution in either instance.

BTW, I am having the same battery issues, but I'm waiting for the next Garmin update to see if it resolves the problem. I'm not ready to give up yet.

Edited by Snake & Rooster

If you upgrade your computer, you don't have to buy all new software. You can transfer it to your new computer.

I believe I read that the newer versions of Windows with the Windows Genuine Advantage will not let you reinstall on a new computer or reinstall if you replace the motherboard. Some commercial software won't let you do it either. In any case, I'll bet if you actually call Garmin and explain the situation they might be able to help you out.

If you upgrade your computer, you don't have to buy all new software. You can transfer it to your new computer.

I believe I read that the newer versions of Windows with the Windows Genuine Advantage will not let you reinstall on a new computer or reinstall if you replace the motherboard. Some commercial software won't let you do it either. In any case, I'll bet if you actually call Garmin and explain the situation they might be able to help you out.

Well the GPS was defective. I exchanged it and I am MUCH happier. When it would not stay on for more than about 15 minutes, it was a bit hard to figure anything out and not get really upset that it keeps shutting down. I am glad I listened to people here instead of Garmin telling me it was not defective.

I asked them if I could take the unlock code from my 60CSX and using it for the 400T and they told me no. They also would not let me use any of the many earlier versions I had bought since I had used it for my 60CSX and 60CS (which I no longer own).

If you read their policy even if you sell the unit, you cannot include the maps with the unit. They charge so much for upgrades and they usually don't fix numerous things and they will only let you put it on one unit? And people wonder why there are software pirates?????? I think the problem is they basically have a monopoly on the road maps so they stick it to us. They need competition or someone suing them.

I've had my 400t lockup once: connected to laptop (in mass storage mode) and spent an hour backing up the information in 400t internal memory to my hard disk.

When I disconnected the 400t it turned off. When I turned it back on, it hung during startup at the "Garmin" screen and that's it. I had to remove the batteries to recover.

J

With any USB mass storage device, you must do the 'Safely Remove...' bit with Windows. There is an icon on the task bar for the USB devices -- click on it and it should give you the above message. If you do this, you should not have a problem. When you do the safely remove process, the computer disconnects from the drive(s) and the CO powers off. *Then* you unplug the USB cable. If you yank the cable while its still in USB mode who knows what will happen.

I asked them if I could take the unlock code from my 60CSX and using it for the 400T and they told me no. They also would not let me use any of the many earlier versions I had bought since I had used it for my 60CSX and 60CS (which I no longer own).

If you read their policy even if you sell the unit, you cannot include the maps with the unit. They charge so much for upgrades and they usually don't fix numerous things and they will only let you put it on one unit? And people wonder why there are software pirates?????? I think the problem is they basically have a monopoly on the road maps so they stick it to us. They need competition or someone suing them.

OK, so the maps were originally purchased for and unlocked on a 60CSX and not your first Colorado. That would explain why they said no. What the others were talking about was getting a replacement unit of the same model as they had and getting a new unlock code from Garmin.

With any USB mass storage device, you must do the 'Safely Remove...' bit with Windows. There is an icon on the task bar for the USB devices -- click on it and it should give you the above message. If you do this, you should not have a problem. When you do the safely remove process, the computer disconnects from the drive(s) and the CO powers off. *Then* you unplug the USB cable. If you yank the cable while its still in USB mode who knows what will happen.

Not totally correct.

On all removable disks you can go into properties and set one of two options.

Optimized for quick removal

This setting disable write caching on the disk and in Windows, so you can disconnect this device without using Safe Removal icon

Optimized for performance

This setting enables write caching in Windows to improve disk performance. To disconnect this device from the computer, click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the task bar notification area.

(This is a direct print out from Vista)

Not totally correct.

On all removable disks you can go into properties and set one of two options.

Optimized for quick removal

This setting disable write caching on the disk and in Windows, so you can disconnect this device without using Safe Removal icon

Optimized for performance

This setting enables write caching in Windows to improve disk performance. To disconnect this device from the computer, click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the task bar notification area.

(This is a direct print out from Vista)

Using the quick removal option, my concern would be the Colorado still being on when its unplugged. Sony Ericcson phones tend to wack out when you unplug them hot, requiring a longer-than-normal reboot process. Its possible the Colorado does the same thing. The safely remove... option does power off the Colorado, and I haven't had any boot issues doing it that way.

My Co 300 has become more of a problem lately, it will not boot up any more, when plugged into the USB port, the screen comes on real bright, then flickers, then shuts off. The only way to work the Co 300 now, is to have it turned ON before I plug it in. This same GPS had given me trouble before, and after the last update. Where it's map tiles had gone poof. I think there is some corruption with the the internal memory of this unit, but hope Garmin comes out with the update in the next few days. I may either jump back up to 400t or just forget the whole thing for a few months.

Where it's map tiles had gone poof. I think there is some corruption with the the internal memory of this unit, but hope Garmin comes out with the update in the next few days.

What do you mean by the map tiles gone poof? Mine have been struggling a bit to load recently too.

Where it's map tiles had gone poof. I think there is some corruption with the the internal memory of this unit, but hope Garmin comes out with the update in the next few days.

What do you mean by the map tiles gone poof? Mine have been struggling a bit to load recently too.

The GPS just was not drawing map data in some of the TOPO 2008 map tiles, and if I remember, it just had cross-hatching in those map tiles, until I reset the GPS, then the bug went away, and has not come back yet. For some reason the GPS would fill in the map tiles on the edges of the screen, but not in the middle.

The GPS just was not drawing map data in some of the TOPO 2008 map tiles, and if I remember, it just had cross-hatching in those map tiles, until I reset the GPS, then the bug went away, and has not come back yet. For some reason the GPS would fill in the map tiles on the edges of the screen, but not in the middle.

I don't think this is map corruption. Do you have map detail set to Most or your basemap turned off? If so when you zoom out there seems to be a limit as to the number of map segments that the Colorado can display at one time. I see a similar behavior (which other Garmin GPS have as well) when I have my basemap disabled, I'm zoomed way out and I'm looking a TopoV3 maps.

GO$Rs

I see the same missing tiles with Topo 2008 on my 300 when I zoom to 30km or higher. At 20km everything is still fine. (This is for downstate NY - in case the map density etc. matters). When the basemap is on everything stays fine as well.

I also noticed (which I don't remember seeing on my 60cs) that the map shows the tile-border lines using Topo 2008. When I use the basemap without Topo they don't show so they are definitely coming from topo...

I wonder if the missing tiles might have to do with the speed of the SD card? I have a 150x card on order (I needed a second one anyway as the one I am using now was stolen from my cellphone) so I'll post back when it arrives...