My sons coin is being held prisoner

Kiwi Nomad

Last year myself and some local geocachers hosted one of the Multi Geocoin Events. We also decided to release some jeep geocoins in a race. So I got one each for my two boys. All was going well. Then JKs coin got placed in a cache that I thought wouldn't be visited very often. So imagine my joy when a visitor picked it up and asked if they could hold on to it to take thousands of miles to the state of Washington. Yes yes was the answer. Well the date went past, the next date came and went. Then finaly it got placed.

Yipee!!! Well thats what I thought.

The same day it was placed it was picked up by someone who had only signed on within the last month (November), only ever found two caches, and has not visited the site agian since mid December. No reply to e-mails.

Yes the other jeep is traveling around NZ ok.

I feel like renaming the missing jeep as "Help I'm being held prisioner", but if the person isn't even logging on here I can't see that making any difference.

So sob story over feel free to add your own lost gecoin stories.

Why do some cachers do not answer the mail?? that is my question.

It is a little trouble to do so. :rolleyes:

One coin off mine is also keep hostage by a new-bie, i send two mails with different helps.

he do not response.

What must you do, wait en see of he will place him in a cache of he keeps him.

I know when you put a coin in a cache to travel you may seem him as lost, but that does not mean that a cacher can send a mail why he can not place your coin.

I rather get a mail that he says he is keeping the coin, than you know what is happening. :bad:

( this story is happening my al before]

win some - lose some

lost coin story 2 :bad:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...27-66f5d55419a8

I'll give it a new travelnote - perhaps the other one was a bit too hard to read.

lost coin story 1 :rolleyes:http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2f-9b1d0013f960

PS Mine's not actually lost by a person - the system has lost it! It's supposed to be in the cacher's inventory not the event!

Amazing coin survival story 1:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...9e-47f5ef504103

floods took cache but cacher discovered coin in bottom of bag in australia several months later - forgot to log! However there is now a paper copy coin circulating USA!

Amazing coin survival story 2:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...1a-1740536105af

escaped amuggled cache and found on ground

Edited by forthferalz

actually maybe he has lost it - the note on the drop into the event said he couldn't make it!

whatever :bad:

I lost a coin once - it was a tricky little urban cache thought i'd do some CITO as well on the way back to the car and used the plastic bag i had the coin in for a rubbish bag! arrrghh! we ran back and searched the bin retrieving the coin safely. I made a special cloth coin bag now for my caching bag!!

There seems to be a trend among noobs that coins are just glittery swag; part of the treasure to be had in the treasure hunt called geocaching. I'm not berating all noobs.... just the lack of education.

Why not include a tag informing the finder what in the world a geocoin is and how to log it out and then back into the system. Just drilling the coins is not really enough.... so how about a steel cable leash? or hard to cut lock? Along with the info tag it should be self explanatory (most of the time).

A coin of mine was moving along and placed in a coin bank cache then shortly later I got an email from the cache owner saying cache had been muggled and everything in it gone. The part that ticks me off is the same owner logged a discovered the same day he emailed saying cache was muggled. Can't discover a coin without the tracking number! He never responded to an email on it either.

Edited by minnesotabrad

A little off topic but my cache is missing, a log in the log book said "Guess who?" I mentioned it after I checked out all stages while home over the holidays. Next thing I know it is gone :P .....HUMM "Guess who? :P " Stupid lurkers. NO need to actblue, I will keep playing the game in an ethical manner and there will always be some schmucks out there playing it their way.

It cracks me up that grown adults are out there stealing/keeping this stuff. Good lesson to teach your children. (And if you don't have children-thank goodness for small miracles) GREAT SET OF MORALS. These small things in society(I am not just talking geocaching) add up to rather large issues if you ask me.

I also have some coins gone missing by who I think is "Guess who?" Good thing I no longer live that way now he will have to come to NC to steal my stuff :) .

Here's one:

PCE9XD

Here's another virtually logged by his alter ego....

TB13YWZ

And before I put two and two together I placed this coin TBPBQP in the alter egos cache only for it to go missing and be virtually logged in a zimbabwe.

I am letting about 40 loose in other parts of the world as part of my IGM which I am still working on. Hopefully they do a little better.

Steel city babes.

A little off topic but my cache is missing, a log in the log book said "Guess who?" I mentioned it after I checked out all stages while home over the holidays. Next thing I know it is gone :blink: .....HUMM "Guess who? :o " Stupid lurkers. NO need to actblue, I will keep playing the game in an ethical manner and there will always be some schmucks out there playing it their way.

It cracks me up that grown adults are out there stealing/keeping this stuff. Good lesson to teach your children. (And if you don't have children-thank goodness for small miracles) GREAT SET OF MORALS. These small things in society(I am not just talking geocaching) add up to rather large issues if you ask me.

I also have some coins gone missing by who I think is "Guess who?" Good thing I no longer live that way now he will have to come to NC to steal my stuff :o .

Here's one:

PCE9XD

Here's another virtually logged by his alter ego....

TB13YWZ

And before I put two and two together I placed this coin TBPBQP in the alter egos cache only for it to go missing and be virtually logged in a zimbabwe.

I am letting about 40 loose in other parts of the world as part of my IGM which I am still working on. Hopefully they do a little better.

Steel city babes.

I wonder how much he would like for some one to take his travelers?

There seems to be a trend among noobs that coins are just glittery swag; part of the treasure to be had in the treasure hunt called geocaching. I'm not berating all noobs.... just the lack of education.

Why not include a tag informing the finder what in the world a geocoin is and how to log it out and then back into the system. Just drilling the coins is not really enough.... so how about a steel cable leash? or hard to cut lock? Along with the info tag it should be self explanatory (most of the time).

We do that, doesn't help.....Oh, well :lol:

The very first of our personal coins that we released went missing almost immediately. I had written up a little card for the coin flip, saying that it was a traveling coin. Chose the cache with care (we decided to release it on our way home from the family cabin in Canada). When it came time to drop it, it was an overcast, drizzly day. Dad and Heather waited in the car while Brenda and I found the cache. There was another coin in there (London phone booth)...I decided not to move it, and left it in the cache with ours. When we got home, I added the cache to my watchlist. Shortly after that, others found the cache, stating there were no coins in the cache. There were also some logs in the logbook, supposedly, from folks that found the cache, but never logged it online. I emailed the cache owner to check the cache, and confirm that our coin was gone...it was, and so was the other coin (made me feel bad that I did not move that one).

We've had a coin go missing, or rather 'kept' by someone. mightyzinn's Sherpa coin was picked up by a new cacher at the first and only cache they logged.

I do keep hoping that, based on their log, they will try to cache again or will eventually drop the coin, as the user said they were out caching with their two little kids, but who knows.

We sent that, and another Sherpa it was racing with, out with laminated cards stating they had a mission and that keeping them was stealing. So it should have been very clear that the coin was not swag. Sort of just sounded like they cached once and haven't been back out in a few months.

The thing that bugs me the most is that it was mightyzinn's (and my wife's) coin and not my Sherpa. Would much rather have my coin go missing as I'm a bit more understanding about these things happening than a 4 year old... well, at least I usually am!

Thought I should mention, the other above mentioned Sherpa coin was actually in the possession of a cacher for a number of months. I finally emailed them a polite request to move the coin along, which they kindly did right away :D

Edited by intolerable

:laughing::laughing::laughing::rolleyes::lol::huh:;):o;);):P:P:D:D:D:D

=====Yes it is back in a cache!!!=====

The cacher who had it passed it on to another cacher who placed it in a cache!

I am so happy for my son. Unfortunately another geocoin has gone missing but it was one of mine not my sons so I'm not as upset about that one. :D

Now all I have to do is get out hunting and place the two travelers that have been in the bottom of my cache bag for far too long!! :D:laughing:

Now on with the race.......

You know, Ive only been Caching for about 4 months and have only 70 caches under my belt. But Ive noticed that even here in Hawaii the slugs and coins I buy and drop, that I don't see them again.

Being military, I also have special coins made (non Geotags) that I know people will keep. I would just like them to acknowledge that they picked it up. I've dropped 10 of these and not even a thanks.

DOC

Know how KiwiNomad feels.

We had our youthgroup TB picked up and "to go to Disneyland".

A year later we got a note "found in ex-partners bag", placed picked up and then hostage again for months on end by someone who picked up 10 Trackables all on the one day. Many are now marked missing by their owner.

Well, anyone after several nagging emails it got moving again......

Patience paid in this case.... but why is it that the TBs that I hear about so often belong to young people.

What are we teaching them about responsibility when others are not responsible towards them.

Good luck KiwiNomad... I hope someone can nudge your Jeep along.

Edited by Butterfly_lady

I placed several caches in February (my first ones) and in 2 of them I placed a Firefighter and an EMT geocoin. Well, the person(s) that picked them up kept them for a few weeks which is fine with me because I've done that before, although, I email the owner to tell them what my plans are for placing the trackable soon, anyway, they then placed the 2 coins in their own cache and they haven't been seen since. The saddest thing of all was that I got an email from someone in another state warning me that if my coins fell into certain hands (4 different ppl named) that I might never see them again. Sure enough, the email was right. I was told by one of the ppl involved to "be patient" and if it's that vaulable to me that I shouldn't release them, just "dip" them which is no fun for me. OH well....lesson learned. Hopefully they'll show up in a cache somewhere.

I've had great luck with TBs and Coins. I haven't counted, but I've got about 25 or so out and only 2 missing. Some went MIA for up to 9 months and then magically came back - it happens.

Sometimes even the "prisoners" reappear somewhere down the road.