GPSr and airplanes

guiderchachi

I'm curious. Would I screw up my GPS if I turned it on on a plane? I am flying from Newfoundland to Arizona at Easter and was wondering if I could turn it on. I guess I'm just curious to see if I can get elevation, speed, etc while in a plane. I have a garmin etrex(the yellow one), model. It may be a good time to punch in all the coords for the AZ and NM caches I want to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Guiderchachi

I used my Garmin Vista on a flight from San Diego to Las Vegas to Reno and it worked fine, but I had to hold it right next to the window to get any satellites on it.

That airline, Southwest, allowed the use of a GPS unit at that time, but my understanding is that they don't allow them anymore.

So, using your GPS on the plane won't hurt it . . . but make sure the airline you are flying on allows GPSr use before you turn it on.

I think it would be kind of a gamble to take your gps on a plane. I hate to have it taken from me like the few pocket kinves that I have acadentyly taken through an air port. Leave your GPS in the cheked bagages. :P

No way would I ever put something important in my checked baggage. Your GPSr is an allowed item, but as others have pointed out, not all airlines will let you turn it on.

Using your GPS on an airplane absolutely won't screw up the GPS. I've done it before. If your GPS records trip data it'll be neat to see your speed at 500 mph and your altitude at 30,000 feet.

It definitely won't be confiscated. I'm not so sure putting it in your checked baggage is the disaster KoosKoos seems to think it would be, but mine stays in my carry on. You should certainly check your airline's policy on GPS usage. Try here.

I'm curious. Would I screw up my GPS if I turned it on on a plane?

If you took a portable radio on the place and used it, do you think it'll get screwed up? Your GPS is like a radio.........

Hundreds of checked bags are lost every day.

Well, at least the bag would know where it is.........

I used my Garmin Vista on a flight from San Diego to Las Vegas to Reno and it worked fine, but I had to hold it right next to the window to get any satellites on it.

That airline, Southwest, allowed the use of a GPS unit at that time, but my understanding is that they don't allow them anymore.

So, using your GPS on the plane won't hurt it . . . but make sure the airline you are flying on allows GPSr use before you turn it on.

I flew Southwest on December 18th and January 3rd. In December, GPSrs couldn't be used. In January they were OK (I checked the in-flight magazine).

On the January flight, I had the flight attendants asking me where we were!

Edited by Wacka

As mentioned several times, it won't hurt anything and check with to make sure it is allowed by the airline. I actually had permission from the aircrew to use mine, although the airline didn't allow it.

Part 2: NEVER, EVER put your valuable stuff in checked baggage. Take it with you on the airplane. I carry cell phone, laptop, gps, and PDA all in my laptop bag.

Someone started another thread a few months ago on this subject. He traveled a couple of weeks later - and one of his bags is still lost. He is receiving minimal compensation so it is very fortunate that he kept his electronics with him on the airplane.

As mentioned several times, it won't hurt anything and check with to make sure it is allowed by the airline. I actually had permission from the aircrew to use mine, although the airline didn't allow it.

Part 2: NEVER, EVER put your valuable stuff in checked baggage. Take it with you on the airplane. I carry cell phone, laptop, gps, and PDA all in my laptop bag.

Someone started another thread a few months ago on this subject. He traveled a couple of weeks later - and one of his bags is still lost. He is receiving minimal compensation so it is very fortunate that he kept his electronics with him on the airplane.

I have had a few bags get misplaced and luckily all came back eventually. Besides the actual loss risk, there are a lot of other hands on my bags that might be tempted to open one up and see what goodies they can take home.

From the TSA security best practices:

My Webpage

2. NEVER pack ANYTHING valuable or fragile in your checked baggage - even if it is locked

I avoid putting TBs into checked baggage! :) Of course, I also avoid checked baggage like the plague when I travel.

Using your GPS on an airplane absolutely won't screw up the GPS. I've done it before. If your GPS records trip data it'll be neat to see your speed at 500 mph and your altitude at 30,000 feet.

It definitely won't be confiscated. I'm not so sure putting it in your checked baggage is the disaster KoosKoos seems to think it would be, but mine stays in my carry on. You should certainly check your airline's policy on GPS usage. Try here.

I actually have a picture of mine saying exactly that - 32000 something feet and like 450mph. Pretty cool. I would definitely ask before you could turn it on - after all it WAS reported the 9-11 pilots used them to navigate. I didnt have any questions about mine, even in 2003. Put it in the little box with my shoes going through x-ray. No one even asked what it was. To the unknowing public they look like a wierd cellphone or mp3 player. The only rule they told everyone was to turn ALL stuff off below 10,000 feet. mp3 players, psp's, etc. etc. Listen to them!

I had to hold mine right next to the window for it to pick up satellites. The other passengers got a kick out of it. "hey we're coming up on atlanta - look out there". It made my nervous wife happy too. I put in our arrival airport as a waypoint before leaving. "honey - we're 45 minutes out...we'll be fine"

The track on mapsend looked pretty cool too once it was downloaded.

Just back from Vegas, I used my GPS to let me know EXACTLY where I was at all times!! I brought up one of the caches in Vegas when we left the airport and it told me almost exactly (cache wasn't at the airport) how far before landing. It also told us we were flying at 35,000'+ and our top speed was 599...on the way home!

On the way home, I punched in one of my own caches and knew how far until home. Really made for the 4 hour flights to go by quicker IMHO. Also, when I woke up on the return flight, I didn't have to wonder where we were and how much longer I'd be trapped in my seat while my knees and back ached!!

It was pretty cool to be able to tell which city or even which interstate we were flying over! And it was pretty accurate the whole way...just need a window seat and something to rest the unit on near the window!!

I used GPS60CSx on a flight from the UK to Florida lst November. It took ages to pick up a signal, but when it did, the speed registered correctly but not the altitude. Although the info on the screen on the seat back said we were at 33,000 ft, the GPSr said it was 4,740 ft!

While I was using it, a burning smell came from the rear of the cabin and staff started pulling up the floor panels trying to find where it was coming from. Whatever it was, they shut that system down and we were all OK. Although absurd, I often have a niggling worry in case I had anything to do with it! :smile:

I've done it a couple times and didn't feel real comfy. At least my whole row was friends. I actually turned on my laptop and hooked up one of my delorme gps rec's to it. Was neat to watch where we were flying live on my Streets and Trips. Altitude, speed and everything was really neat. After about 5 minutes I started to feel a little funny though doing it so I turned it off.

I used GPS60CSx on a flight from the UK to Florida lst November. It took ages to pick up a signal, but when it did, the speed registered correctly but not the altitude. Although the info on the screen on the seat back said we were at 33,000 ft, the GPSr said it was 4,740 ft!

While I was using it, a burning smell came from the rear of the cabin and staff started pulling up the floor panels trying to find where it was coming from. Whatever it was, they shut that system down and we were all OK. Although absurd, I often have a niggling worry in case I had anything to do with it! :smile:

If your electronic altitude sensor is turned on with the 60csx, you will read the cabin altitude. That is the the level the aircraft pressurization system maintains.

Same with my GPS60CS! I KNOW we weren't flying THAT LOW!!!

It worked great on a flight from Detroit to LasVegas. But I did have to hold the GPSr right up to the window to get a signal.

And I met a geocacher who was sitting three seats to the right!

The Altitude was the PA. That is the Pressure Altitude. In other words, your Cabin was at 4740 ft. You have to turn Off the built in Altimiter. Then, it'll tell you your GPS altitude.

On another note, being a professional flyer, the FAA regulation on electronic devices is rather strict. You(as a user) HAVE TO ASK the Aircraft Commander to use your electronic device that is capable of recieveing a signal. Of course, some airlines may have rules, but if you ask the aircrew you will be ok 99.9 percent of the time. Heck, the worst that would happen is the attendant ask you if the pilot can fly with it [:smile:]. I always kept my lil GEKO 301 pinned against the window in the cockpit with my custom holster.

The Steaks

I actually have a picture of mine saying exactly that - 32000 something feet and like 450mph. Pretty cool. I would definitely ask before you could turn it on - after all it WAS reported the 9-11 pilots used them to navigate. I didnt have any questions about mine, even in 2003. Put it in the little box with my shoes going through x-ray. No one even asked what it was. To the unknowing public they look like a wierd cellphone or mp3 player. The only rule they told everyone was to turn ALL stuff off below 10,000 feet. mp3 players, psp's, etc. etc. Listen to them!

I had to hold mine right next to the window for it to pick up satellites. The other passengers got a kick out of it. "hey we're coming up on atlanta - look out there". It made my nervous wife happy too. I put in our arrival airport as a waypoint before leaving. "honey - we're 45 minutes out...we'll be fine"

The track on mapsend looked pretty cool too once it was downloaded.

"after all it WAS reported the 9-11 pilots used them to navigate." I've heard this before. I personally believe that it is an 'urban legend' without substantiation. Can you please direct me to a credible source? Thanks.

Just back from Vegas, I used my GPS to let me know EXACTLY where I was at all times!! I brought up one of the caches in Vegas when we left the airport and it told me almost exactly (cache wasn't at the airport) how far before landing. It also told us we were flying at 35,000'+ and our top speed was 599...on the way home!

After reading this I checked my GPSr and noticed the top speed logged was 592mph and it had 2259 miles on the trip odometer. I have used mine on a plane quite a few times, including turning it on and off a few times on a recent 17 hour flight from Johannesburg, South Africa to Washington DC. On all the international flights I have been on recently all of the chairs have a small video monitor in the seat back. The default channel has a continuously updated map, and stats that are obviously taken from a GPS.

I think it would be kind of a gamble to take your gps on a plane. I hate to have it taken from me like the few pocket kinves that I have acadentyly taken through an air port. Leave your GPS in the cheked bagages. :laughing:

You're more likely to have it stolen out of your bag, by the baggage thieves inspectors, than having it taken from your person. If they're not taking cell phones (which have GPS capability), they're not going to take your GPS.

I just took a trip on JetBlue and when I asked the cabin attendant if I could use my GPSr, he said go ahead and that it won't work! Well, I had an aisle seat and couldn't get any signal at all. I couldn't reach the window to see if that would help. Maybe next time . . .

Seat location can be a problem. Many people have mentioned putting the GPS up against a window, but I had good signal strength with the MAP60CS (not the x version) in my lap. The window was facing the South. I doubt that I would have gotten a decent signal (like your experience) in an aisle seat.

BTW, in every case that I used my GPS on board an aircraft, the pilot landed at the correct airport. I like to think I helped!

I think it would be kind of a gamble to take your gps on a plane. I hate to have it taken from me like the few pocket kinves that I have acadentyly taken through an air port. Leave your GPS in the cheked bagages. :laughing:

Do not check with your baggage. If your baggage goes missing kiss your GPSr good bye, as the airline will not pay for lost electronics.

I think it would be kind of a gamble to take your gps on a plane. I hate to have it taken from me like the few pocket kinves that I have acadentyly taken through an air port. Leave your GPS in the cheked bagages. :D

Do not check with your baggage. If your baggage goes missing kiss your GPSr good bye, as the airline will not pay for lost electronics.

I encountered something similar first hand. On a flight from Seattle thru San Francisco to Honolulu, my bag was opened and a handful of items were missing - my GPS and some smaller items of sentimental value. The bag did arrive in Honolulu, but it arrived at baggage claim with the top unfastened - obviously opened - and it's not something that could have happened on its own. There was no TSA notice of search. The airline reimbursed the estimated cost of all the items except the electronics. My GPS will always travel in my hand carried baggage whether I can turn it on in the aircraft or not.