Magellan explorist 500

goathag

Goathag,

I also use a 500 and have had a blast geocaching with it. The website isn't geared to one gps or the other. When you get either the .loc or .gpx files you have a lot of choices to load them into your gps. Personally I use Megellan's Mapsend software to load them into my gps but there are quite a few programs out there that do the same thing. Just remember that you cannot load them directly to the device, they need to be converted to a specific format first.

Geocaching website help page

The link above is an excellent start to helping you on your way to getting those files into your gps. Just remember were you put them, unit's internal memory or sd card, so that you will have no problems pulling it up in the field. Hope you have a blast and if you run into troubles don't hesitate to either post in the forums for advice from everyone here or even send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you out.

It is a good unit and will do the job. The big negative is Magellan's customer support. Their rep ranges from poor to abysmal, while Garmin consistently gets high marks for theirs. Hopefully you won't need it and it won't be an issue for you.

There is no truth to Geocaching.com supporting only Garmin units. There is a site feature that allows you to send a cache waypoint directly to the unit by clicking on a link and that specific feature is for Garmin units only at this time. That is because Garmin is the only manufacturer that supplies the necessary plugin, not because Geocaching.com is snubbing other units.

All other site features work with any manufacturer's unit including your eXplorer.

I have the same unit. As Sarge104 said, it works fine. I like the size of it, and the file management is a great feature for me.

The customer service email system is broken - but the 1-800 number somewhere in the owner's manual will get you a human being. Unfortunately, not a very helpful one in terms of answering "how to" questions. Ask those here - as Sarge as offered, email or PM him.

If the unit never needs repair (and most don't) you won't mind the lousy customer service.

This site has a wealth of knowledge, should you ever have a question about your explorist post it in the GPS section and you'll usually get a response very quickly. I have a 500LE myself and find it a great unit. There is an FAQ in the GPS units section that I found quite helpful, it explains the batteries that can be used as well as charging options. Here is the link to them:

http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/magellan/explorist/explorist500/

http://www.mtgc.org/robertlipe/exploristwiki/

If it is not too late to return the unit, you might want to do so.

Magellan's new line of GPSr's if not available now, will be shortly, possibly early January '08. The advance info on these units is very encouraging and they have a pretty good price point as well.

Look for the Triton line, especially the 400.

Edited by Team Cotati

I am a complete rookie. Just purchased Magellan gps. I did some research and it seemed to be the most user friendly for my simple mind. I have heard that Geocaching.com only supports Garmin products. Please advise.

Welcome aboard!

The simple truth is that any GPS unit that allows you to enter coordinates can be used for Geocaching. While many perfer the Garmin units - the site has no preferences one way or the other. The send to GPS feature on the site for use with Garmin units is only because Garmin supplied the code to do it. If magellin owners bugged the manufacturer - they may provide one as well.

Wow. Thanks to everyone for their input. I've been looking through the forums and everyone seems so helpful. I look forward to my new hobby. I bought the GPS as a gift to my son and I (from a fat guy in a red suit), as a way to spend more time together doing something active. I didn't realize I was entering into a new community. Thanks again.

Wow. Thanks to everyone for their input. I've been looking through the forums and everyone seems so helpful. I look forward to my new hobby. I bought the GPS as a gift to my son and I (from a fat guy in a red suit), as a way to spend more time together doing something active. I didn't realize I was entering into a new community. Thanks again.

You have no idea :D

I have the eXplorist 500. I got it from Wally World for $150. For the color screen and set up for geocaching, I couldn't resist. There are some features I wished I had, but for the money it can't be beat. I have Logged over 50 finds with mine since joining up after Thankgiving.

Enjoy yours.

I have over a thousand finds with a 500 and I love it. I've even had fair success with customer service. I've never had to send one in for repair so I can't tell you about that No need to return it. The Triton doesn't really havea track record yet and the 500 will do everything you need to do just fine!

A satisfied Magellan owner? I can't hardly believe it. And to think, a unit that was not even field tested prior to market release, has performed so well.

Perhaps the Tritons will be fortunate and measure up to the same high standard. Hopefully they will have learned a lesson and not rely upon their loyal customer base to perfrom their field testing THIS time, eh?

Hope springs eternal. :DB):D ..... as my Gold just keeps smoking 'em out all day long. Beautiful. Good ole Mr. Bulky. :DB):D

I purchased my Magellan Explorist 500 in Nov 2006.

The unit failed in Feb 2007 with a "Configure NAND" error.

I sent the unit in and Magellan repaired it under warranty.

The unit just failed again this week with the same error. Only this time is it out of warranty. I doubt I'll pay to get it repaired since they couldn't get it right the first time.

I loved the unit, worked great, found 48 cahes, easy to use.

But failing twice in a year with the error?!?!? Not good.

Search the forums/Google, I'm not the only one with the same problem.

I'd return it while you can and get a Garmin

I plan to buy a Garmin to replace it.

Edited by Ch3

I have a 500. When it works it's a fantastic unit.

"When it works" would be the key part of that sentance. Their customer support is useless too.

The unit periodically decides for some reason that satellites "aren't it's thing anymore", and it wants nothing to do with them. Reset the GPS, restart it, restart and remove the battery, leave it sitting outside in a field on a clear day for five hours, fling it at the wall; it won't find a single satellite until the firmware is reinstalled. Lucky for me, I've got a live-in geek who helps :D but its a royal pain. Especially when you load the PQ at midnight when it's working, wake up at 8 and drive 30 miles to a park, turn on the unit, and, nothing.... Yeah, that was Sunday (the bf's unit was in the car but we had to manually enter the caches).

When it works, I love it. It's a neat little affordable unit, incredibly accurate, long battery life.... In either event, my next GPS will be a Garmin.

I am a complete rookie. Just purchased Magellan gps. I did some research and it seemed to be the most user friendly for my simple mind. I have heard that Geocaching.com only supports Garmin products. Please advise.

Been a member with the 500 for 11 months, have 153 finds and really like our unit. However not having used any other I have nothing to compare it to. It seems accurate and is easy to use. I've not had to deal with the service dept. which is probably a good thing...so have nothing bad to say either. Use GSAK to manage cache info. but don't utilize it to its maximum. Been paperless for 5 months, and added a laptop to our searches two months ago. Enjoy the sport a lot, as does my wife...a lot of times it's with her goading that we get out caching!

Edited by Jim McDonald

A 500 Explorist is probably in the $125 range today, so for that money it can be a serviceable economical unit. I do think that there are a load of idiosynchratic issues with these units, not the least of which is the lousy charger and USB connection cables. Be ware of cracked insulation and exposed wires. To download, the USB wire must run straight down the back of the case over and tight to the battery compartment. You only learn that when you go NUTS trying to load and have to call for assist. The unit is not intuitive. But I was hooked as I had a Sport Trak Pro, which was the best handheld ever held in hand. So I stuck with the brand. The learning curve on these units is long and steep. I hope the tritons are better.

I still carry the Sport Trak as back up.. The 500 has experienced satelite drop, where all of a sudden there are no signals received, I believed that to be due to cold temps as it has always occurred at temps below 15 degrees, but it was a royal pain one time when carrying a couple of ammo cans 4 miles up a hill and I couldn't get cords. I was by myself and nothing I did could bring them in. For some reason my reviewer won't accept "It is out there" for a location.

I now always turn it on when I start with the trip from home, verifying signal and I have not had drop since and I always recharge the battery the night before full.

Use GSAK for loading coordinates after runnig a PQ that is the best way , but the problem I have always had is that the computer does not recognize the unit.

Edited by Packanack

I have heard that Geocaching.com only supports Garmin products. Please advise.

I am an explorest 500 user also while yes if you want to directly put cords on you need a garmin however you can copy and paste the cords into geocache manager that came with your GPSr or as I usually do push the mark button and where it says the current cords go down to that and push the arrow button and edit them.

I was in a similar situation - got the Magellan Explorist 500 for a Christmas gift. After some input from others, including some from this site, I returned the unit and am getting a Garmin GPS Map 60CSx. I liked the size and function of the Magellan but heard bad stuff about customer service and that it's not as durable as Garmin. The price was very similar, especially since I was planning to buy the memory card for the Magellan and it comes with the Garmin. It sounds from the other responses you've received that either one is a good choice. Have fun!

A 500 Explorist is probably in the $125 range today, so for that money it can be a serviceable economical unit. I do think that there are a load of idiosynchratic issues with these units, not the least of which is the lousy charger and USB connection cables. Be ware of cracked insulation and exposed wires. To download, the USB wire must run straight down the back of the case over and tight to the battery compartment. You only learn that when you go NUTS trying to load and have to call for assist. The unit is not intuitive. But I was hooked as I had a Sport Trak Pro, which was the best handheld ever held in hand. So I stuck with the brand. The learning curve on these units is long and steep. I hope the tritons are better.

I still carry the Sport Trak as back up.. The 500 has experienced satelite drop, where all of a sudden there are no signals received, I believed that to be due to cold temps as it has always occurred at temps below 15 degrees, but it was a royal pain one time when carrying a couple of ammo cans 4 miles up a hill and I couldn't get cords. I was by myself and nothing I did could bring them in. For some reason my reviewer won't accept "It is out there" for a location.

I now always turn it on when I start with the trip from home, verifying signal and I have not had drop since and I always recharge the battery the night before full.

Use GSAK for loading coordinates after runnig a PQ that is the best way , but the problem I have always had is that the computer does not recognize the unit.

when it refuses to find a satellite, how have you gotten it to work again? With mine, theres nothing that seems to work (the first time it was months before we figured out what to do) besides reloading the Magellan Software.

PolskiKrols laptop always seems to recognize my unit, but with my desktop I need to plug and unplug it a few times between the two ports on the computer before it recognizes it.

I was in a similar situation - got the Magellan Explorist 500 for a Christmas gift. After some input from others, including some from this site, I returned the unit and am getting a Garmin GPS Map 60CSx. I liked the size and function of the Magellan but heard bad stuff about customer service and that it's not as durable as Garmin. The price was very similar, especially since I was planning to buy the memory card for the Magellan and it comes with the Garmin. It sounds from the other responses you've received that either one is a good choice. Have fun!

You had the unit and returned it because you HEARD CS was bad?? Any other reason?? Sure, I've heard the CS horror stories, never had reason to care though...my Maggie seemed VERY well built and seemed rugged to me (MUCH better than the Garmins I owned).

I had a Maggie 500LE and loved it! It got MUCh better reception than both Garmins I've owned, hands down!! The unit was very user friendly, and you DIDN'T have to hold the unit straight out to get reception (unlike some of those Garmins). If that unit hadn't been stolen, I'd still be happily using it!

The Geocache Manager which comes with the unit is VERY simple to use, it takes seconds and is just as good as the way Garmins are loaded.

Someone said they bought a Garmin which was close to what the Maggie 500LE cost? What unit? My Maggie cost me $210 w/mapping software. I put another $50 or so into battery and cables and NEVER had a battery problem again, never used up all of a charge regardless of how long I cached!!

My brother has a Maggie 500LE which he's promised to sell me...I'm all over it!!

You had the unit and returned it because you HEARD CS was bad?? Any other reason?? Sure, I've heard the CS horror stories, never had reason to care though...my Maggie seemed VERY well built and seemed rugged to me (MUCH better than the Garmins I owned).

I had a Maggie 500LE and loved it! It got MUCh better reception than both Garmins I've owned, hands down!! The unit was very user friendly, and you DIDN'T have to hold the unit straight out to get reception (unlike some of those Garmins). If that unit hadn't been stolen, I'd still be happily using it!

The Geocache Manager which comes with the unit is VERY simple to use, it takes seconds and is just as good as the way Garmins are loaded.

Someone said they bought a Garmin which was close to what the Maggie 500LE cost? What unit? My Maggie cost me $210 w/mapping software. I put another $50 or so into battery and cables and NEVER had a battery problem again, never used up all of a charge regardless of how long I cached!!

My brother has a Maggie 500LE which he's promised to sell me...I'm all over it!!

"When it works" would be the key part of that sentance. Their customer support is useless too.

<snip>

When it works, I love it. It's a neat little affordable unit, incredibly accurate, long battery life.... In either event, my next GPS will be a Garmin.

This is the exact experience of a friend of mine. His Magellan will not connect to his computer for transfering waypoints. For almost a year, he has had to put them in by hand. Magellan's Customer Service has been absolutely no help for him. Recently, while at Costco, he told the Magellan Rep demonstrating Magellan GPS units, and the people listening to the demonstration, that his next GPS unit is going to be a Garmin.

Another friend was a Magellan user for years who owned several Magellan GPS units. He now has a Garmin GPS Map 60CSx and the Magellans are paperweights . . . :)

<snip>

This is the exact experience of a friend of mine. His Magellan will not connect to his computer for transfering waypoints. For almost a year, he has had to put them in by hand. Magellan's Customer Service has been absolutely no help for him. Recently, while at Costco, he told the Magellan Rep demonstrating Magellan GPS units, and the people listening to the demonstration, that his next GPS unit is going to be a Garmin.

Another friend was a Magellan user for years who owned several Magellan GPS units. He now has a Garmin GPS Map 60CSx and the Magellans are paperweights . . . ;)

Is the Magellan in USB File transfer mode? - #1.

It can be three different modes

File-Xfer

NEMA

Power only.

- Make certain the Cord is connected the right way - the Biggest tab will be at the top. The cord must follow along toward the bottom of the receiver. If its installed upside down it will NOT ever tranfer data. (Magellan should have shown exact cord installation. Or made the connection a normal USB connection- surely it could have been 'waterproofed'

If you need NEMA mode and you are running windows XP you need to download a driver and replace the current USB Driver.

If you want to send me the GPS I can verify - lol (Just Kidding!)