Cold Weather Apparel

WVRadar

Thermal pieces has vastly improved over the last few years, and have gotten a lot less expensive as well. The "under armor" type items (you can find many off brands out there) are totally worth it. Because they wick away sweat, you will stay warmer than the traditional cotton thermals. Cotton is the worst cloth you can use out in a cold and wet environment.

If you are concerned about cost, try Walmart or some of the other box stores, they have lots of options at decent prices. We bought our kids some this year and they have been much warmer than last year at this time. It's important to us as we snowshoe. You can also get some inexpensive wool socks in the sporting area of Walmart (if you're not allergic) and they are the best at keep the tootsies warm.

If you're going to spend a good amount of time out in a snowy or very frigid area, proper gear will make all the difference in the world!

Under Armor is very good stuff, but any synthetic under layer will work well. Polypropylene is the best and most common material and in fact is what Under Armor is made of). Cool Max, Thermax, Comfortrel and Capilene are similar materials and there are others whose names escape me right now

Some Popular brand names made from these synthetics are Wickers, Under Armor and LIFA and there is a lot of inexpensive generic polypro clothing out there.

The brand name stuff tends to last a bit longer (never put any of it in your dryer if you want it to last). The cheap stuff pills quicker, can get a "scratchy" feel after a while and tends to retain body odor more than the brand name stuff. Still the cheaper, generic polypro under layers can be a cost effective alternative to the name brand materials if you keep it out of the dryer.

So as far as keeping you warm, Under Armor will not perform better than any other synthetic under layer of equal weight.

Any synthetic is better than cotton though. Do not wear cotton under layers (or cotton anything) in winter. That old fashioned waffle knit cotton long underwear that many of us grew up with is not appropriate for active cold weather wear and can kill you (literally).

Edited by briansnat

This is a subject that I recently tackled myself. I had a big problem with the high pricing that "Under Armor" charges for their imported clothing line.

I found a few other brands that I liked better. I bought a Terramarsports Core 2-Layer Merino Wool thermal shirt and i'm very pleased with it. I chose Wool for it's safety factor (in case it gets wet) versus Cotton based. I bought a pair of Polarmax Double Base Layer long underwear, and really like them.

I paid $55.00 for the top and bottom, which is the average cost of one Under Armor Garment.

I just picked up a couple of off brand under armor styles and they worked very well. The biggest thing that drove me nuts was how tight it was - "body contouring style", um not my cup of tea but it did the job. The boy and I managed to spend about 6 hours in 40 degree rain & cold before we packed it in last week.

I've found polypropylene to be the way to go if going light and found Under Armour to be one of the best.

However, most of the "compression fit" wear out there is made of mostly Nylon, NOT polypro, including Under Armour. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Be sure to get AT LEAST one size up (I do 2), or you'll play heck gettin' it on.

Not many of us look like their mannequins.

My biggest "problem" with this stuff is come Spring, I have no hair left on my legs and chest.

Maybe that's how that fad started . :lol:

Tried silk twice and both times it reeked from an "extended" hike.

I second the silk recommendation. However, silk is a little bit harder to launder. Under Armor can be thrown into the regular wash/dry laundry cycle; silk requires delicate cycle and low dry or flat dry. Silk also tends to lose its shape more than Under Armour. The advantage to silk is that it feels lighter and it has less of a "constricting" feel than UA.

I prefer merino wool over the synthetics.

UA has been able to market their brand to the sports teams and lots of people are following along. There are lots of other companies that have polypro baselayers available that I would get over UA. If you're concerned about price, check out the local army surplus store.

But I still prefer merino wool; works in warm or cold and doesn't stink after a few days.

I just recently purchased a under armour long sleeve heat shirt. It is ok for cool days along with a 100 weight polartec. But like the others I'll take WOOL when it gets real cold. I've used a shirt from Duofold for over 20 years that is Thermax and Wool, and its warm as it can get. A breathable windproof pants that is water resistant makes it real nice also, put some polar fleece on under those and its real warm when you get down to the single digits of less than the digits. Stay away from COTTON. But a dry cotton shirt in the car when you return from a long hike sure feels good.

To sum up:

NO COTTON

Synthetics are ok

Silk is better. It wicks moisture away and is insulatory and is not bulky.

Wool is good too. It doesn't absorb moisture, but in my experience doesn't wick as well as silk.

Merino wool isn't as itchy as wool. It's also probably the most expensive material you'll find. But it's good.

Mohair? Sheds!

make sure you aren't allergic to wool before you buy, or believe me you will be sorry. I was in the Navy and spent boot camp in Chicago in the winter. I broke out from head to toe and itched for 13 weeks not to mention the general stink that consumed our compartment day and night. We all had stick ups on each of our bunks and you could still smell the divisions as they entered the galley for a meal. Wool CAN really stink when you're doing alot in them.

Recently read in our Backpacking mag a suggestion to buy cycling jerseys as undergear. They are made of material like under armor, but have pockets and such to help hold things.

I like silk too...it is very warm for the weight and pretty breathable. If its above 10 degrees I usually sweat too much if I wear anything else (at least on a steep uphill) :wub:

My favorite socks are Wigwam merino wool hiker socks. They are warm, extremely soft, and aren't itchy. I'm allergic to everything and they don't bother me at all. Plus they should keep you warm when they are wet. I think they are mostly wool with a little bit of nylon and spandex thrown in. I wear them pretty much every single day, not just for hiking.

Edited by trowel32

Hi,

For a lightweight synthetic shirt, nothing beats the price of Starter Gear at Wal-Mart. I've got Under Armour and Starter stuff and there's no functional difference except the 500% markup on the UA silk purse before me (swine.)

But the best stuff going that I've found is SmartWool clothing. It uses an astounding wool-synthetic blend. In addition to caching, I also run ultra-marathons. I wear the same SmartWool short sleeve t-shirt in July when it's 105 F outside here in South Carolina as I wear as my base layer in the Mount Mitchell Challenge Ultramarathon where temps get down below 0 F. In cold I go over the t with a long SmartWool zip-up and top it off with my other super favorite, a Go-Lite shell.

You will pay the same or less for this non-poser outdoor gear as you would for the over-hyped, fad-priced, and unproven UA stuff. I've never seen anyone on trail with UA stuff ever, and if I did, I'd be sure to check up on them to make sure they're ok.

A good place to find true technical under and outer wear is Blackdome Outfitters in Asheville, NC.

Talk to Jay Curwen there and tell him Travis sent you. He'll cut you a deal out of pity if he thinks you know me!

But Good Luck and Get Outside Durnit!

- T of TandS

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm leaning towards the merino wool instead of the synthetics.

I dunno. The idea of wool underwear bothers me, I don't care how comfortable anyone tells me it is.

It's merino wool. Entirely different fiber, still from sheep.

I know. My socks are all merino wool. I have a merino wool sweater. I still ain't wearing no wool underwear. I don't care if Dan Merino made it.

Edited by briansnat

I like silk too...it is very warm for the weight and pretty breathable. If its above 10 degrees I usually sweat too much if I wear anything else (at least on a steep uphill) :santa:

My favorite socks are Wigwam merino wool hiker socks. They are warm, extremely soft, and aren't itchy. I'm allergic to everything and they don't bother me at all. Plus they should keep you warm when they are wet. I think they are mostly wool with a little bit of nylon and spandex thrown in. I wear them pretty much every single day, not just for hiking.

If you have eczema, psoriasis, or dermatitis issues, wool can increase the level of irritation. If you know that you are allergic to lanolin (the alcohol in wool), you will also be allergic to wool fiber (alot of lotions have lanolin and can make you break out too). Studies have also shown that wool can increase problems in those that have respiratory allergies to cat and dog hair, dust mites, and asthma.

Wool is a great product as natural fibers are, but if you're prone to allergies it can make you miserable. Before spending a fortune on wool undergear, I would test the waters first if you want to go that route. Wool can also be harder to clean depending on the product you buy. I'm allergic and can handle socks. I've even knitted with a wool blend (mixing with other fibers lessens the amount of oils in the product, which lowers the allergy issues), but I can't wear wool on the rest of my body. Trust me, the trail is not the place you want to figure out that you have an allergy.

Silk is the only thing I can put on my feet that will make them itch and sweat. I can hike all day with thin cotton liners and thick wool socks (I know, bizarre combination) in my heavy boots, and my feet will be dry and comfy. However, I would not wear cotton anywhere else.

So, like the previous poster said, before investing a ton of money, find out what works for you, and find out before you hit a long trail, or it could be a painful lesson.

Reconsidered my decision to go with wool after the comments about allergies. Picked up ThermaStats (medium weight) from Cabela's yesterday, just over $40 for top and bottoms. Hopefully I'll get to try them out this weekend.

Also picked up some wool socks, to see if I have any reaction to it.

As someone with extreme 'cold' issues (different from "extreme-cold' issues), you can be sure I have a closets and drawers full of 'warm clothing'.

For bottoms, I prefer REI's mid-weight MTS bottoms. They're both narrow enough, and long enough that they fit under everything (jeans, hiking pants, whatever) and go clear to my ankles. As someone who finds that most women's pants are too short, I have to appreciate that.

As far as the tops go, I always, ALWAYS reach for my Under Armour tops - lightweight in the summer and 'cold gear' in the winter. I have others - smartwool, patagonia, no-brand patagonia-esque items, silk and REI mid-weight goodies.

Why the over-priced, over-hyped (Is it? I must admit that as I don't watch t.v. or read much in the way of advertisements & I really have no idea) item over everything else? Well, despite Bogleman's warning, for me, one of the best features of UA is that it IS form-fitting. It's also long enough in the torso (it stays tucked in, always) and sleeves... yes, I have a very hard time finding things to wear that are long enough... in every way!

MOST clothing is simply too loose/ too wide/not long enough which doesn't effectively keep my core warm enough. This, in turn causes a lot of problems when I need to be focused on keeping my extremities warm. It is far easier for me to keep my hands/feet/ears/nose warm if my core is stable.

UA, for me, does that very thing, and is worth its weight in gold. If I top it with a vest... and whatever else is prudent ... :unsure:

I, too, have smartwool tops and they just don't do the right thing - I prefer them OVER a base-layer, not as the baselayer.... except for the socks. I do wear them every day... well, every day I wear socks.

For the OP, though... start with whatever is cheapest (and not cotton) and work your way up from there. You might get lucky!

michelle

As someone mentioned earlier, do not use cotton. We teach OKPIK (Cold Weather Camping) and the basic saying is "Cotton Kills". Man made materials are better. Break out that wide collared disco suit. :laughing:

Cotton does not retain any of it's warming properties when wet (wool does) and does not wick well. If you have problems with wool due to allergies or the little barbs, try items made from alpaca. For the same reason, stay away from down, which does not handle moisture well at all.

Couple of items:

- Wear layers. Loose layers. Not only does this permit you to add or lose items as needed, air is a great insulator. The air between the layers. If you MUST use cotton, use it on a layer away from the skin but not an outer layer. Wind breakers work great as outer layers.

- Venting. Use lots of zippers and velcro so you don"t overheat and sweat. Open the zippers or remove layers as necessary.

- Hydrate. Dehydration is as easy, if not easier, in cold weather. "seeing your breathe" is nothing more that your body losing moisture.

- You loose between 70 & 90 percent of your body heat from your head, keep it covered.

- Fleece is your friend.

- Your arms and legs work like the fins on a radiator or CPU fan. They can rob heat if not covered. Gloves and sleeves.

- Take spare socks in your pack. Nothing worse than hiking around in wet socks after you stepped through some thin ice that went over your boot.

- Sun glasses. Aside from providing eye protection when the wind whips up, minor snow blindness can make some of those little ankle twister holes hard to see.

- Keep everything clean. Clean items retain their warming properties much better than items that are dirty.

- put everything in your pack in seperate zip lock bags. keep it dry.

As mentioned earlier, don't need to spend loads of money, just check the label for what they are made of. Like electronics and appliances, you often spend extra money for that little label they put on their.

Edited by baloo&bd

Out hiking in 30 degree weather for about 3 hours this morning. Cabela's ThermaStats passed with flying colors. Kept me nice and warm. Wool socks also worked great.

Now I'll have to upgrade my hiking pants. Wore an old pair of jeans today. I'd like to get something else in case I get wet while out on the trail.

Here is a question for you cold weather people. Regarding base layers, compare polyester to polypropylene. I have a light weight polyester base-layer top and I like it and want to know how polypropylene compares in comfort, warmth, etc.

(From my knowledge of ropes, polyester is strong, low stretch, flexible. Polypropylene rope is weaker, stiff and very light weight.)

Out hiking in 30 degree weather for about 3 hours this morning. Cabela's ThermaStats passed with flying colors. Kept me nice and warm. Wool socks also worked great.

Now I'll have to upgrade my hiking pants. Wore an old pair of jeans today. I'd like to get something else in case I get wet while out on the trail.

Jeans are a bad idea in winter. Check out the other thread regarding womans hiking pants. Many of the same advice applies to mens pants. I find that for most winter hiking all I need are polypro long underwear beneath a pair of nylon hiking pants. This works for all but the coldest conditions (pretty much anything above 15 degrees).

For colder weather I have a pair of thick, wool army pants and my wife wears polar fleece pants with a waterproof shell over them.

Jeans are a bad idea in winter. Check out the other thread regarding womans hiking pants. Many of the same advice applies to mens pants. I find that for most winter hiking all I need are polypro long underwear beneath a pair of nylon hiking pants. This works for all but the coldest conditions (pretty much anything above 15 degrees).

For colder weather I have a pair of thick, wool army pants and my wife wears polar fleece pants with a waterproof shell over them.

Brian -

Are jeans ever a GOOD idea?

I <3 jeans. I wear them every day... and have many, many pairs! Heck, I'll pay $200 for a great pair of jeans. But wear any of them hiking?!

Not a chance! (Not even the cheap ones!)

michelle

Brian -

Are jeans ever a GOOD idea?

I <3 jeans. I wear them every day... and have many, many pairs! Heck, I'll pay $200 for a great pair of jeans. But wear any of them hiking?!

Not a chance! (Not even the cheap ones!)

michelle

I agree. I haven't worn jeans hiking in many, many years. Too heavy and if they get wet they can stay wet all day. I'm a shorts guy until it gets too cold, when I switch to hiking pants.

This year will be my first experience in cold weather hiking. Do the clothes made my Under Armor perform that much better than thermal underwear to justify the cost?

In a word, no. There's some good advice here from some experienced folks, but here's my 2 cents...

I went to get som UA and when I saw the price I checked the tag to see what it was made of. Then I left laughing and ordered up some merino wool pro gear for less than half of what UA was asking. Later I found the same gear at Wally world and picked up a compression shirt for about $8. Later the same week I picked up some good wicking shirts from Old Navy of all places for about $10-15. Both have held up great and lasted over 2 years now. I take good care of my stuff, but considering my track record of destroying tough gear that's surprising. While thinking about your question on the way home from work today, something else struck me. The single most under-rated piece of cold weather gear is probably still a decent hat. I wore this gear climbing Mt. Washington in high wind (-45 w/wind chill) and was toasty warm and actually changed about an hour later because I was sweating. A good fleece, a cheap windbreaker (plus windpants) and a good hat are all you need for most hiking as far as cold goes. While I was looking at this picture I laughed to realize the hat was the cheapest thing I took on that trip and the only thing I wore consistently every day that week in all conditions and hike types. So save your money on the UA and get a good hat. Supposedly 90% or more of your body heat is going out through your thought-locker anyway :laughing:

coldgear.jpg

I would not use jeans for hiking at all an all cotton garment absorbs and retains water and sweat. If they get wet they draw body heat from you and when they are damp they chafe. I've also found jeans to be to heavy and bulky for hiking.

A lot of the hikers I know use hiking pants, decent wind protection and they dry out very quickly when they get wet. I prefer military BDU's, the ones that are a poly/cotton blend. They dry out quickly and I like the thigh pockets, reinforced knees, seat, and button fly.

I found a t-shirt called something like "seamless" by Haines I think, to me it looked and felt just like Under Armor, but was only like $7. I have worn it under everything from dress shorts to flannels and Carharts, and I was really comfortable with it, not too hot or cold, good for wicking layer I would say. It is basically Spandex.

JMO

I think it depends on your level of activity. Under Armour is o k if you are just standing around. I snowshoe and usually are soaked. All iever ware is DUOFOLD. It is the only thing that moves the moisture away from skin fast enough. I just ware DUOFOLD underwear with Sporthill Symmetry jacket and paints. Good for 0 to about 30 deg. Any warmer than that ditch the underwear.

I bought the WalMart version of under armour (long sleeve, turtleneck) for a little over $10.00 and wore it in 19 degree F weather yesterday with only a long sleeve t-shirt underneath. I was snug as a bug in a rug! Maybe I'm just cheap but I can't justify the price for the "real thing"!

:unsure: