Scary Finds

IANNA

I am wondering who has stories about finding some scary things in the adventures. What brought this all up was we generally team up with another team to go caching, and the other team was out doing some caches that we had done earlier. Anyways it turns out that in the same small wooded area a man build a 8 foot talk swing arm guillotine in these woods and used it to kill him self. He did it on a Friday and he was not discovered till Monday. The other team was in those woods on Saturday and swore they could feel something was not right. luckily they did not stumble upon this sight but it makes wonder if anyone has any similar or worse. Most i have found is a dead animal or two. Once we stumbled about what looked like a makeshift burial place in the woods but I wasn't gonna check it out to confirm my suspicions.

i found a body under a bridge at 4am while out caching. I just thought it was a passed out drunk teenager, but as soon as the police arrived and shon their flashlights on his face I realized it wasn't vomit but blood.

Despite the fact it was a suicide, they still managed to have a good time questioning me for the next two hours. What kind of fellow hangs out under a bridge 2 hours drive from home at 4am? Finds a dead body but doesn't call it in?

Questions that needed to be answered :lol:

On a more recent find, I actually got a fright though! popped my head in the log to look for the cache and found this guy staring back at me..

d9ae4687-fe42-4c3d-8e4d-6e92c4574471.jpg

Ironically, he made me jump back a whole lot more then the suicide victim!

Edited by Juicepig

I've luckily never found anything like a body or anything - Though I would not be surprised if I did since it seems like it is always hikers and such who find them...

The strangest and most creepy thing I have ever found was a bullet-riddled overturned car in the middle of the woods. Normally I would have just passed it up as some hunters target practice car, but all of the bullet holes were through the driver's side door.

It looked like the car had been there for quite some time though since it was completely rusted so we did not call the police or anything... It was just strange to see this bullet riddled car lying upside down in the middle of the woods.

n39600472_32142126_7406.jpg

[Me poking my head out behind the door of the car...]

Not my finds, but...

Met up with another team, searched together, and spread from our initial GZ. The only thing we found in a hidey hole was a large butcher knife!! (We flagged down 2 officers from the 33rd, and they took custody of it).

or

We find the coordinates and follow the clues. We look under lots of rocks. The kids (8 and 10) are having a great time chipping bits of mica while we adults diligently pull rocks from likely-looking crevices. My wife drifts a bit out of the coordinate range and is just about to give up when she she notices something tucked away under a particularly large shelf of rock. Pulling out the stone blocking it, she is stunned by what she finds! "Oh my god," she whispers, "it's a gun!" .

Immediately hustling the kids out of there, we decide we need to report this to the police. We flag down someone passing by in a Central Park Conservancy cart, and he radios his supervisor, the Conservancy Director, for help. We show him the gun, and he calls the police. They arrive with a crime scene unit, and now we show them the gun. All this time, my wife is taking pictures for the family scrapbook - of the gun in its hiding place, of the guys from the Central Park Conservancy, and of the cops and the crime scene team.

After getting some information from us, the police let us go on our way. As we were leaving, I hear one member of the crime scene unit say, "You guys are heroes." I don't know about that, but I do know it made our first three hours in NYC very interesting.

In September 2005, we found GC7AN west of Rapid City, SD. The area surrounding the cache (50 feet in any direction) was strewn with deer skeletons. Kind of creepy but we never felt that we were in danger though.

We found something similar to this in mid-Michigan. From the way the most recent carcass was cut up it was clear that the deer were left by poachers and not a hunter. We quickly found the cache and scooted, didn't want to hang around a poachers base camp.

Then I also had this.

Edited by "we two want to play too"

In September 2005, we found GC7AN west of Rapid City, SD. The area surrounding the cache (50 feet in any direction) was strewn with deer skeletons. Kind of creepy but we never felt that we were in danger though.

Here in Texas deer skeletons along country roads are common- usually road kill. Found one awhile back when I had gotten out of the car to hide a cache along a fence line. Was old and clean so just hid a micro in the skull and called it "Oh deer!"

I was out caching by myself and had my little 7lb dog with me on Saturday afternoon a few months back. It was in a large urban park and I got this "hairs on the back of my neck" feeling and decided I needed to leave. I didn't see or hear anything, but I just knew I needed to leave. The following Monday, I read in the paper that a woman had been attacked and raped on Sunday afternoon on the same trail I was on Saturday. That was the impetus for me to get my concealed carry permit.

A few months later, in the same park, but on a different trail that I had been on finding caches, a team preparing for an urban adventure series discovered the remains of someone police believe to have been murdered.

My main concern while out caching is finding copperheads, cottonmouths, or rattlesnakes. So far, I haven't even seen a snake, thank goodness.

Edited by GeoScooter1

November 2 by smcpeaknkids (804 found)

Wow, This was a tough one to get. I am in town from Phoenix AZ for a funeral and this one was only two miles from my aunt and uncles house so I thought easy grab in a cemetary at night. WRONG. We get there with some family we are visiting(mx6xplorers) and there are a group of about 8 people with flash lights in the cemetery. We figure "hey maybe they are cachers" WRONG again. They are ghost hunters and are very adamant about us leaving so we do not disturb the energy. We tell them we are from out of town and will only take about 7 min. They said that would not work for them we needed to come back in an hour because they came clear from Kansas City to do what they came to do. LOL we had people from Vermont, Phoenix and Branson but we did not feel like arguing with people who take there business with the paranormal this seriously especially since we had a van full of children. Needless to say we came back an hour and a half later and found the cache. T TB L TBS TFTC

November 2 by smcpeaknkids (804 found)

Wow, This was a tough one to get. I am in town from Phoenix AZ for a funeral and this one was only two miles from my aunt and uncles house so I thought easy grab in a cemetary at night. WRONG. We get there with some family we are visiting(mx6xplorers) and there are a group of about 8 people with flash lights in the cemetery. We figure "hey maybe they are cachers" WRONG again. They are ghost hunters and are very adamant about us leaving so we do not disturb the energy. We tell them we are from out of town and will only take about 7 min. They said that would not work for them we needed to come back in an hour because they came clear from Kansas City to do what they came to do. LOL we had people from Vermont, Phoenix and Branson but we did not feel like arguing with people who take there business with the paranormal this seriously especially since we had a van full of children. Needless to say we came back an hour and a half later and found the cache. T TB L TBS TFTC

You didn't tell them that you WERE the ghosts?!? :(

Well, until I read some of the other responses in this thread, I thought one of our recent discoveries was pretty scary, though nothing like a body! A few of us were caching downtown around a landmark, and were dismayed to come very close to a large, fresh pile of human poo. :D The bushes and area where the cache was ultimately found was full of little bundles of sleeping bags and clothes where people sleep downtown ... it was more sad and yucky than scary, but it definitely gave us all a shudder.

I am wondering who has stories about finding some scary things in the adventures. What brought this all up was we generally team up with another team to go caching, and the other team was out doing some caches that we had done earlier. Anyways it turns out that in the same small wooded area a man build a 8 foot talk swing arm guillotine in these woods and used it to kill him self. He did it on a Friday and he was not discovered till Monday. The other team was in those woods on Saturday and swore they could feel something was not right. luckily they did not stumble upon this sight but it makes wonder if anyone has any similar or worse. Most i have found is a dead animal or two. Once we stumbled about what looked like a makeshift burial place in the woods but I wasn't gonna check it out to confirm my suspicions.

That is hilarious that you mention that cache! :D I live near that area and the cache your speaking of is GCJ7AN. I found this cache on 6/30/07 and it is still covered with dozens of deer carcasses years later. I did mention it in my log and I noticed that several cachers spoke of this dating back to 2004.

We were caching up in Taos, NM off trail in the woods. My husband was leading, but paying so much attention to the GPS, he didn't even notice what was around him. He stepped right over a freshly dimembered dear leg, blood, skin, and all. I said, 'You gotta be kidding me, how did you miss that?" He glances down and gets this look on his face. We were out there with our three little kids and the sun was almost down. We decided it was probably best to leave incase whatever it was that had the deer for dinner, didn't have us for dessert!

More gross than scary was jumping out of the Jeep at this cache back in '04, landing ankle deep in old decayed deer carcass, and realizing that there was a pile of 2 dozen or more on this stretch of road.

Scary but fun was finding a bunch of 'props' along the nature trail at this cache the weekend before Halloween.

d100a7bd-b1d0-4e34-832b-895f1863b34c.jpg

ced6eb41-3354-4bdf-b4d6-e1ef89e620db.jpg

But the truly scariest places I have gone to find a cache were on the hunt for High Water.

icon_smile.gifToo Tall John found Moonshine, all Mine (Traditional Cache)

An interesting trip for me. On the way in found a huge pile of deer parts just off the trail as well as many bits in the trail. (I contacted Fish & Game about this pile and they said it is probably someone trying to bait coyotes. They didn't seem too concerned.) Keeping the dog out of it was interesting. Anyways, reached the coords, and searched and searched. And searched. Hadn't read (or printed) the logs that mentioned the cache being on the other side of the trail. On the way in I'd seen a metal box off in the woods. Thought it was your average logging trail trash, but was beginning to wonder if the cache had been muggled and discarded there. Finally, on the other side of the trail from where the GPSr was pointing, I found it, but it was getting dark. On the way out, I realized my wallet was missing! So I turned back and searched with my flashlight. Finally gave up & walked back to the car. Crossed the "carnage" area (for the 4th time), very aware that something I didn't want to meet may be very attracted to such an area. The dog was going nuts the whole way out, jumping, whining, yelping at shadows. I was a bit spooked, and was really hoping I had enough gas to make it back home as I didn't have my wallet. Got to the car, and my wallet fell out of the door as I opened it. WHEW! Without the worries about my wallet and wildlife, this was a really fun caching experience! Thanks, Kacky!

I'm pretty sure Molly (the dog) wasn't just barking at shadows...

The prospect of telling my wife she needed to come get me an hour from home 'cuz I'd lost my wallet was kinda scary, too...

Then there was this:

icon_sad.gifToo Tall John couldn't find Ace of Diamonds (Traditional Cache)

After finding "Queen of Spades" MollyGSP & Me and I continued on the trail for about 15 feet when we came face to face with a bear. Both parties decided the best course of action was to return the way we came. We shall return, as this is a pretty spot. 'Twas an experience we won't soon forget, thanks!

icon_sad.gifToo Tall John couldn't find Ace of Diamonds (Traditional Cache)

Well, I came back. Bumped into my little (or not so little) friend again. This time I was about 200 feet from the cache, not from the car. The bear came charging out of the woods at me this time! It stopped about 10 yards from me & waited for me to make my move. As soon as I heard it coming through the trees I started shouting & waving my hiking stick, letting it know I was there. Once it went a few yards into the woods, I talked to it a bit, then started backing slowly away. I was followed for a while, but he kept about 50 yards distance. Needless to say, I didn't find the cache.

The scariest part of this adventure is that I went back again the next day, just to get FTF. :D Edited by Too Tall John

Wealthier suburb just outside the city. nice kid friendly park.

(GCG4WV).... now for something completely different, I wasn't going to post this at first, but it does make for an interesting addition to our story....As we missed the Cache the first time and headed off the path farther up, we came across another object in the woods. A 6 in long section of 2 in pipe with end caps at each end. This was rusted and appeared to be there for a while, but obviously a 'pipe bomb'. Police were called and the patrolman got his supervisor to respond. Thay agreed it was probably just a teen prank item and inert, but removed it from the park non the less.

Never know what one can find in the wilds of suburbia.....

That is hilarious that you mention that cache! :laughing: I live near that area and the cache your speaking of is GCJ7AN. I found this cache on 6/30/07 and it is still covered with dozens of deer carcasses years later. I did mention it in my log and I noticed that several cachers spoke of this dating back to 2004.

Well that was the interesting thing about that cache, its really close to homes there in that wooded area. But if I recall the area was just down the hillside from the road so it was secluded. We figured it was hunters (or poachers) who took the best parts of the kill and left the rest to nature. Eerie, mildly creepy but not dangerous (to us anyway). Our dog was very interested in the carcasses too.

There was a torso of an unknown female found very close to a cache placed at the Wright City, MO rest area heading westbound on I-70. They still don't know who the torso belonged to and the case is still open. I live fairly close to here and It felt really creepy when I went and found this cache. Here is one of the logs:

January 3, 2006 by BlueBeadMan (2610 found)

The last time I visited this particular rest area looking for a cache was about a week or two before a naked female torso was found only a few hundred feet from that previous cache. Once the partial body was found, that owner of that other cache archived the listing. The investigation dragged on and no one seemed willing to place a cache here--until fairly recently. NO DEAD BODIES here today and I was more amazed by the amount of traffic on the nearby outer road than the spooky feeling I was sure I would feel going back to this area. This cache may located only 50 to 100 feet from where the body was found, but I still enjoyed finding the box. Thanks! TNLNSL--Thanks again for the cache.

Blue Bead Man

What's MOGA 2006? Click to (visit link) and find out! See you there!

[view this log on a separate page]

This is the cache page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

I wasn't involved in this one but it is a nearby cache. I was scanning through the local listings while planning a day of cache hunting and found an interesting log. The cache is at a plane crash memorial. It appears people were caching and found a human bone.

The cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cb-1b9594717c12

The logs for October 11, 2007:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...0a-7d2ad11c7d65

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...80-8c002a1affaf

That last has a link to this news story:

http://www.wdbj7.com/global/story.asp?s=7195962&nav=S6ak

Edited by GPS777

Last month my cache partner and I were caching in a patch of forest beside a public baseball park. Living in Alabama my biggest concern when I enter the woods or an area with thick undergrowth is a snake. Since it was late February we were not too concerned about snakes since it hasn't been warm enough for them to start moving around yet. So, we were having trouble locating the cache and began spreading out from the location that the GPSr indicated. We had noticed several large holes leading to tunnels in the ground. This is a common occurance around here so we weren't concerned. So as the search drug on we began considering "out of the ordinary" hiding spots. I was leaning over digging through some pinestraw at the base of a tree when I hear a blood curdling scream. I fell forward, almost landing on my face and jumped up to see my cache partner with here eyes open wide and a face as white as a sheet. When she had leaned over to look in a hole for the cache a massive, fluffy orange cat jumped out toward her face.

Now I have lived in Alabama all of my life and I have seen a lot of things come crawling out of a whole, but I have NEVER seen a subterranian dwelling cat! Upon further investigation we discovered that the tunnel hole was only one in the huge maze of tunnels below ground.

Needless to say, my cache partner was so disturbed she had to sit down for a while to gather herself and decide wheather she needed to change her under pants!

We avoid any type of hole in the ground now and if we ever have to stick our hands in a hole to retrieve a cache we will have to just log a "DNF".

At one cache I found what appeared to be the joint( a knee joint) of two bones that looked like it had been recently chewed on. Being all by myself I wondered what might have been chewing on it and nervously looked about wondering if the animal was still around. Then I started to wonder what the bones might have come from... a deer, the last geocacher to visit the cache? A later log for the cache mentioned that the person had sighted a "cute" bear running through the area. I definitely have to get that bear spray.

At one cache I found what appeared to be the joint( a knee joint) of two bones that looked like it had been recently chewed on. Being all by myself I wondered what might have been chewing on it and nervously looked about wondering if the animal was still around. Then I started to wonder what the bones might have come from... a deer, the last geocacher to visit the cache? A later log for the cache mentioned that the person had sighted a "cute" bear running through the area. I definitely have to get that bear spray.
Came across this recently:
Bear Advisory

The Forest Service has issued a BEAR WARNING in the national forests for this summer. They're urging everyone to protect themselves by wearing bells and carrying pepper spray.

Campers should be alert for signs of fresh bear activity, and they should be able to tell the difference between Black Bear dung and Grizzy Bear dung.

Black Bear dung is rather small and round. Sometimes you can see fruit seeds and/or squirrel fur in it.

Grizzly Bear dung has bells in it, and smells like pepper spray!

Someone sent that to me after my 3 visits to this cache. n (Please note, the bear warnings were put in place AFTER my experiences...)

Visit 1

Visit 2

Visit 3

On a more recent find, I actually got a fright though! popped my head in the log to look for the cache and found this guy staring back at me..

d9ae4687-fe42-4c3d-8e4d-6e92c4574471.jpg

Ironically, he made me jump back a whole lot more then the suicide victim!

Dear God! Upside-down raccoons terrify me. Such blatant neglect for the laws of gravity is proof of a sick and twisted mind, indeed.

Edited by miles_vagar