Another Cache found by the bomb squad

magellan315

There's nothing I love finding more than a nice big ammo can, but in planning my own hides, I felt the use of such objects in many locations is irresponsible. I set some personal guidelines for ammo can usage:

1. Ammo can will be sanded and painted. Removing all markings and hopefully making it look less "military".

2. Ammo can will definitely be clearly marked on the outside as a "geocache".

3. Urban hides = No ammo can. For those, I use Lock-N-Lock containers, transparent so the contents are visible... and far less scary to your average muggle.

At least this bomb squad encounter turned out OK. I would be mortified if any of my planned hides triggered a bomb squad response.

DCC

Ok no offense, but can we say PARANOID?? Who would want to blow up a GOLF COURSE?? Maybe it's because I"m Canadian and don't think everyone's a terrorist....people need to RELAX.

Good point. Why WOULD anyone want to blow up a golf course?

My father-in-law often says, "Anyone who would (...insert activity you deem useless and/or silly here...) would PLAY GOLF!" :):D

Silly useless game... I mean, at least in baseball you hit the ball and SOMEONE ELSE goes after it... golf, you hit it into the woods, cuss, and go look for it... then you hit it into the woods again... or into the water...

:D

Ok no offense, but can we say PARANOID?? Who would want to blow up a GOLF COURSE?? Maybe it's because I"m Canadian and don't think everyone's a terrorist....people need to RELAX.
Good point. Why WOULD anyone want to blow up a golf course?

My father-in-law often says, "Anyone who would (...insert activity you deem useless and/or silly here...) would PLAY GOLF!" :D:D

Silly useless game... I mean, at least in baseball you hit the ball and SOMEONE ELSE goes after it... golf, you hit it into the woods, cuss, and go look for it... then you hit it into the woods again... or into the water...

:)

Sounds like maybe your father-in-law would blow up a golf course? :D

This was in my hometown of Amarillo. At least the bomb squad had a great sense of humor about it. I think the man collecting stray golf balls was upset because he wanted to use the ammo can to collect the golf balls and he realized the ammo can was chained up!! :):D:D:D:D

Like someone said before, why would someone think a chain link fence bordering a golf course would be a target for a bomb? Too much paranoia for me.

Hey it is my hometown too. Oh guess it is my cache too. Humm guess they were really not to worried about it. They never contacted me. I had my contact information in the cache and heard nothing. Guess it is helpful to have a properly labeled cache with all the information in it.

Of course a few months ago a find that I had along with Cach-n-Dash had a much worse ending to it after the bomb squad found it. They blew it up. Oh well it was not marked.

This was in my hometown of Amarillo. At least the bomb squad had a great sense of humor about it. I think the man collecting stray golf balls was upset because he wanted to use the ammo can to collect the golf balls and he realized the ammo can was chained up!! :D:D:D:D:)

Like someone said before, why would someone think a chain link fence bordering a golf course would be a target for a bomb? Too much paranoia for me.

We had a cache collected by the Boardman OH police department. Since there was an e-mail address in it, they e-mailed the owner. The owner rescued it from the police department but to advantage. If if any of the Boardman cops see you poking around a building with a funny thing in your hand, they might just stop and help you look!

Hey it is my hometown too. Oh guess it is my cache too. Humm guess they were really not to worried about it. They never contacted me. I had my contact information in the cache and heard nothing. Guess it is helpful to have a properly labeled cache with all the information in it.

Of course a few months ago a find that I had along with Cach-n-Dash had a much worse ending to it after the bomb squad found it. They blew it up. Oh well it was not marked.

This was in my hometown of Amarillo. At least the bomb squad had a great sense of humor about it. I think the man collecting stray golf balls was upset because he wanted to use the ammo can to collect the golf balls and he realized the ammo can was chained up!! :D:):(:(:)

Is your cache labeled on the outside?

Is your cache labeled on the outside?

Fun to do, however serves no practical purpose.

Great they didn't over-react and then had a sense of humor to boot.

Yes it is labeled on the outside. It has a label that says placed here using United States Government Satallites Please do not remove.

You're all looking at it wrong!! Al Qaeda knows America's love for Caddy Shack. It's only through the antics of Chevy Chase and Bill Murray that American can truly heal. OF COURSE they're going to target a random golf course (fence?) in Bull Poo Smell, TX!!!!

Mr. Nosey Nelly should be commended!! You sir, saved lives!! :D

Edited by PhxChem

That is a wonderful attitude to live with, however, to err on the side of caution is to save lives in the long run.

It appears the bomb squad was at least somewhat familiar with geocaches and probably verified it on the GC.com website prior to opening it. Otherwise, I would have completely expected them to destroy it on site. (***Why risk a life of someone on the bomb squad for something that MIGHT not be a bomb?!***)

Having said that, it was really cool of the bomb squad to react the way they did. I'm glad it worked out as it did. But, really, if you WERE'NT familiar with geocaching...and you were watching that story unfold on the news, wouldn't you wince a bit when they showed the bomb squad guy attempting to open the box?

:D