Have you been warned?

wavector

I wonder if anyone else has had a Moderator warn them they are not being respectful of others. In a recent thread I was warned by a Moderator that I wasn't being respectful of the opinions of others.

I was wondering if any other posters on that thread received a warning about being disrespectful?

The idea that I was offended by was a simple one, a poster suggested that a solution was to take everyone who logs events multiple times and publicly mark all of their logs and their profile with a specific mark with the express purpose of allowing other cachers to identfy them at a glance.

Apparently the suggestion that this listing service publicly label a group of cachers for the purposes of easily identifying that they have a different geocaching culture is being respectful of others, but perhaps that poster was warned as well?

Another poster commented that maybe the person just thought he was offering a reasonable solution. Apparently dismissing the "reasonable solution" argument without a lot of words was also disrespectful. These two posts were the ones that the moderator linked as disrespectful.

I expect warnings, I have publicy stated that I will attack standards that are being proposed that would result in all geocachers being controlled so that they are unable to enjoy this activity in the fashion they wish. Every time I enter into one of these conversations I expect to get flak from people who want their personal standards to be advanced by this listing service and I expect every word I write is scrutinized by people who don't like to see those personal standards dismissed as personal standards.

So, have you been warned?

Can someone actually find out where their personal warning meter is sitting? :unsure:

1. If you feel that you've unfairly received a warning, or that the moderators have acted inappropriately, please use the special e-mail address provided just for that purpose: reviewers @ geocaching.com. Messages sent to this address are read directly by the Groundspeak employees who are responsible for supervising the work of the site volunteers.

2. You cannot see your own warning meter (this feature was removed because it caused too much confusion among the overwhelming majority of forum posters who have never received a warning, but asked why they had a warning meter). You can keep track of how many warnings you've received by saving the messages. Your goal should be to NOT expect warnings, because your higher goal is to follow the forum guidelines.

3. Please limit discussion in this thread to warn meters, warnings and how the moderators do their job. Do not use the topic to discuss the substance of the thread which was recently closed. Thanks!

I have only been formally warned only one time. Yeah I've been talked to, referred to, and chastised many times but only one "Do not do that again."

And that was when I simply posted "Troll"

I understood the warning, my post wasn't contributing to the conversation. It was inciting - Stirring the pot, as you will.

I still do point out trolling behavior and sometimes accomplish what I intended, shutting them down. It is just done without handing out the pitchforks and torches.

First, BlueDeuce, I love the goat in your avatar image!

Next, yes, I have received two warnings regarding my behavior on these forums, each from a secret sub-agency of the NSA, warning me that I should cease and desist from talking openly and publicly on these forums about their half-human/half-reptoid reptilian agents -- sometimes known as the Men in Black and their visits to my home in the course of their attempts to intimidate me.

I have also received warnings from more mundane/everyday earthbound sources that I was not mentioning goats often enough on the forums. That behavioral deficiency has hopefully since been corrected.

First, BlueDeuce, I love the goat in your avatar image!

Next, yes, I have received two warnings regarding my behavior on these forums, each from a secret sub-agency of the NSA, warning me that I should cease and desist from talking openly and publicly on these forums about their half-human/half-reptoid reptilian agents -- sometimes known as the Men in Black and their visits to my home in the course of their attempts to intimidate me.

I have also received warnings from more mundane/everyday earthbound sources that I was not mentioning goats often enough on the forums. That behavioral deficiency has hopefully since been corrected.

Just wait until the men in white lab coats (or more on topic, The Man in the white lab coat) come to get you. :unsure:

Edited by Ambrosia

My answer is, oh yes, most definitely. Warned, warned, warned, booted for a day, warned, warned, booted for 3 days, warned, booted for a week, warned, and warned some more.

I think my last removal from the forums was for a week.

Now that you mention it I'm curious where my warn meter stands. It's been a while since I was booted, does that mean that my meter has gone down some? Any mods please let me know.

My answer is, oh yes, most definitely. Warned, warned, warned, booted for a day, warned, warned, booted for 3 days, warned, booted for a week, warned, and warned some more.

Now that you mention it I'm curious where my warn meter stands. It's been a while since I was booted, does that mean that my meter has gone down some? Any mods please let me know.

sob... I wish my sock puppets would behave themselves better... :unsure::o now I am embarrassed... sob... sniffle... ;):P this is tragic... :P

I think we both got it at the same time once.... Edited by TrailGators

I've had a couple of posts edited by a moderator for inappropriate language. One post contained a word with asterisks in it but the word was moderated out completely. The other was a post about the sofa king. (PM me if you need more explanation than that.) However I have never been officially warned or suspended. I'll keep trying though. :unsure:

. . .I have received two warnings regarding my behavior on these forums, each from a secret sub-agency of the NSA, warning me that I should cease and desist from talking openly and publicly on these forums about their half-human/half-reptoid reptilian agents -- sometimes known as the Men in Black and their visits to my home in the course of their attempts to intimidate me.

Oops! In my earlier post, I forgot to mention that in a recent thread (about how one becomes a reviewer) Mtn Man edited one of my posts to remove the wire transfer account number and routing info for my bank account in the Grand Cayman Islands. He and Keystone also sent me real nasty private letters about that incident, advising me that it was not cool for me to solicit bribes (sigh... I call them "fees") on this site, and telling me to shape up or ship out and find a new sport ... sigh! :unsure::o I guess I am just a bad boy... ;) I sent them each a key lime hamster pie from a famous hamster bakery in Johnstown PA (I ordered online) in an attempt to try to patch up things. :P

I got warned once. I called someone a jerk because they were being one. It seemed to be the prevailing opinion, I just happened to be the person who actually said it in a post.

Note to self: don't call someone a jerk who is also tight with a mod.

Heck - it's a community. Sometimes goofballs just float to the surface. :unsure:

Not a private warning. Quiggle laughed at a picture I posted once, but I don't think that was meant as a warning.

A couple of years ago, Jeremy injected a general, but pretty stern, warning which came into the thread a post or two after one of mine. I thought his post was directed at me, and I was mortified. So I PM'd him an apology right away, and he responded with a very polite message letting me know that his comment wasn't directed at me. We still laugh about it when he and I get together on Thursdays over at mtn-man's house for our weekly game of Canasta.

Among Vinny's socks, I'm generally considered to be too well mannered. I'm sure the other socks laugh at me behind my back, but it doesn't bother me much anymore. Someone has to be Good Sock when we do the Good Sock / Bad Sock bit.

I consider myself a power lurker. I don't remember when I started lurking but it was shortly after I signed up. I've seen many come and go and you can see it coming - some folks just don't know when to walk away.

I was thinking about this very same subject the other day, I seem to remember receiving a PM a long time ago, I had no idea who it came from but it served it's point.

I have a nasty habit of saving all email that I think is important but this is one that I deleted, sooooo officially I can say I have never been warned, never really tried to push buttons or post anything really stupid or against the guidelines.

Not a private warning. Quiggle laughed at a picture I posted once, but I don't think that was meant as a warning.

A couple of years ago, Jeremy injected a general, but pretty stern, warning which came into the thread a post or two after one of mine. I thought his post was directed at me, and I was mortified. So I PM'd him an apology right away, and he responded with a very polite message letting me know that his comment wasn't directed at me. We still laugh about it when he and I get together on Thursdays over at mtn-man's house for our weekly game of Canasta.

Among Vinny's socks, I'm generally considered to be too well mannered. I'm sure the other socks laugh at me behind my back, but it doesn't bother me much anymore. Someone has to be Good Sock when we do the Good Sock / Bad Sock bit.

Exactly...! Good sock puppet! Thank you!

I've been warned, and moderated several times. "Moderated" for those that don't know, means that a moderator reads your posts before they are posted.

Everytime I've been warned or moderated, I deserved what I got. I'm quick tempered, and I type faster than I think at times. Most of the mods I've interreacted with on a personal basis, and I consider them friends. They have a tough job to do, and they do it well. If you don't think so, you should have been in here about 5 years ago. :unsure:

El Diablo

I read these posts and I understand that if someone is being disrespectful or degrading is one thing,but are people being warned for making a post about something that is "outside" of the thread content?Maybe someone has an opinion about the subject matter of the thread (like or dislike) that needs to be said.So do they have to start a new thread subjuect?Wow I thought we lived in AMERICA!

I read these posts and I understand that if someone is being disrespectful or degrading is one thing,but are people being warned for making a post about something that is "outside" of the thread content?Maybe someone has an opinion about the subject matter of the thread (like or dislike) that needs to be said.So do they have to start a new thread subjuect?Wow I thought we lived in AMERICA!

This forum is not a Democracy.

Play by the gc.com rules.

Okay. Those words won't get you a night in the box, but now the OP deserves a paddlin' for incitement to angst. :unsure::o

1142708897851.gif

Edited by Snoogans

What does America have to do with these fourms? You are here at the pleasure of GC.com. Posting a reply outside of the subject of the thread is considered bad fourm.

El Diablo

Actually not all of us do. Look at where people come from. This is an international forum.

I'm not sure if I was warned or not but I have had a post disappear when I made some slightly scathing comments about the ... that made a paper copy of a geocoin of mine and sent it out while keeping my nice shiny coin. The post was even on topic but I guess it doesn't look good to have a scouter making disparaging remarks even if a person wasn't named.

I've only had 1 'official' warning. I don't think I deserved it- especially after I had already received an 'unofficial' warning for the same thing just a short time before. I have had a couple of those 'unofficial' types over the years. I've had exactly one post edited and I didn't think that it was warranted. In every case I had communications with the mods involved. We had a good discussion and aired our opinions on the subject. The exchanges were always polite and the issues resolved without further incident.

Oh my.. I just had to chuckle when I read this question. I just got off a 1 month suspension because of my inability to control what comes out of my mouth :P I am now currently on the "misspell a word, you're gone" plan :blink:

I believe that if you show good behavior and show the moderators that you are interested in changing your behavior, the warning level will eventually get lowered.

BTW - Can anyone beat a month?

Edited by ReadyOrNot

. . .BTW - Can anyone beat a month?

Yes, I can! Back in the year 1104, when geocaching was still in its infancy, and we were totally dependent upon the satellite signals from the satellites employed by the alien greens from Tau Ceta, I really mouthed off in then-still-small international geocaching forums. Four days later, on September 22, 1104, after the close of a convocation of moderators who met in Lyons, France to discuss my case, I was notified via private email that I was banned from the geo forums for 150 years, yes, one hundred and fifty years! :P

. . .BTW - Can anyone beat a month?

Yes, I can! Back in the year 1104, when geocaching was still in its infancy, and we were totally dependent upon the satellite signals from the satellites employed by the alien greens from Tau Ceta, I really mouthed off in then-still-small international geocaching forums. Four days later, on September 22, 1104, after the close of a convocation of moderators who met in Lyons, France to discuss my case, I was notified via private email that I was banned from the geo forums for 150 years, yes, one hundred and fifty years! :P

:blink: I remember hearing about that Vinny! I was sitting at at comedy show in Vieux Lyon at the annual Renaissance festival. I was watching two comedians, who were eating carrots and reciting long passages with a profusion of alliterations with the letter p. This caused thousands of tiny carrot chew projectiles to fly out of their mouths on to the front rows of the audience. It was very funny to watch. Anyhow, during the show they told us about your preposterous and puzzling predicament! :blink: Edited by TrailGators

Nope. Not one warning.

Is this something to which I am supposed to aspire? :P

Sure! Why not? sometimes ya gotta test the waters. :)

Answering the OP:

A few that i can remember:

Warned for "kicking hornets nests". (And I spent HOURS making up that avatar, too!) :D

Got the "it's a big sandbox- play nice" a few times.

Most recently, warned privately and banned from one thread after "ignoring" a public warning for taking exception to persons wanting to boycott a certain restaurant chain whose name we are not permitted to mention in the forums even though the public warning appeared to have been directed at Sbell judging from its specific reference, timing and placement in the thread.

Every time I enter into one of these conversations I expect to get flak from people who want their personal standards to be advanced by this listing service and I expect every word I write is scrutinized by people who don't like to see those personal standards dismissed as personal standards.

Right below your avatar it says "1GC####=1 FIND"... I agree with you 100%, but doesn't that violate what I just quoted you saying above?

1. If you feel that you've unfairly received a warning, or that the moderators have acted inappropriately, please use the special e-mail address provided just for that purpose: reviewers @ geocaching.com. Messages sent to this address are read directly by the Groundspeak employees who are responsible for supervising the work of the site volunteers.

2. You cannot see your own warning meter (this feature was removed because it caused too much confusion among the overwhelming majority of forum posters who have never received a warning, but asked why they had a warning meter). You can keep track of how many warnings you've received by saving the messages. Your goal should be to NOT expect warnings, because your higher goal is to follow the forum guidelines.

3. Please limit discussion in this thread to warn meters, warnings and how the moderators do their job. Do not use the topic to discuss the substance of the thread which was recently closed. Thanks!

I actually had a blast once getting warned.

I was a fairly new poster and through my inexperience allowed myself to get sucked into one of the many epic struggles of the LPC that have made these forums infamous. It lasted for months and expanded to well over 20 pages of threads. When things were getting out of hand and uncomfortably personal, Keystone stepped in and turned the thread into a game of Survivor, daring the contestants (posters) to continue the thread without crossing the line. I started out as the odds on favorite to win when I was given the immunity torch and then rightfully lost it due to my own big mouth. In the end, I was one of the last Survivors, but eventually was booted off the island with parting gifts. I have to say that was some of the most fun that I've had posting here.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

I've been warned about 5 times since April. Yesterday I just got done with a 30 day ban for my most recent warning.

Here's the succesion of my most recent warning:

stunod's warning:

I removed the image of the dog from your post in the animated GIF thread.

Please keep your posted material more on the "family-friendly" side if you wish to continue posting.

Thank you for understanding.

mtn-man's continuation of warning:

Giving you 14 days disabled posting for the image noted in Stunod's warning. Further violations will result in longer time-outs or removal from posting entirely.

mtn-man's contnuation of the continuation of the warning:

After consultation with Groundspeak moderators and upper level admins, it has been decided that we should increase your time to 30 days. You have many repeated offenses over a very short period of time. It seems that the point we are trying to make isn't sinking in.

Geocaching is a game for all people of all ages, young and old. We try to cater to the widest possible audience possible. I am at my parents house taking care of my sick father, and I had to scroll quickly past the image because I knew my father would ask what kind of trashy web site I was looking at. You need to think before you post in the future. You are going down the road to being banned from posting in the forums.

No reply needed.

It's good to be back :)