Event Backlash

We recently had an event. GC14RME We had the general TB and Coin exchange. Now we are getting emails saying that the TBs and Coins that are still listed on our event listing page are missing. They go on to say that events are places that leave tons of trash (including TBs and Coins) that will lead to Geocachers REALLY doing a c.i.t.o.

We are not responsible for people logging the TBs and Coins they traded. NO trash was left behind as we really cleaned up after...... left it even cleaner that when we arrived. We made a $100 deposit that we got back.

Is this just someone that is upset because they didn't come to the event? Or just a person upset because they don't know where their TB is? We did request that all trackables be logged before these emails started.

Has anyone else had a someone complain about their event? What was the complaint and how did you deal?

We want to repeat our event next year, but don't want to get nasty emails.

Your event was only last week. I've noticed that TBs grabbed at events often take a couple of weeks to get logged in. I don't know why. There might be some psychological explanation behind it, but I don't know what it would be. The TB owner needs to be more patient, and the attendees need to get those TBs logged in.

In all likelihood, they're not "missing," so much as they are "unreported."

I have a bug that went to a recent event. About a week after the event, the Event Planner sent me a note saying they noticed that my bug was still logged into the event, and that they hoped it wasn't lost. I think this would go a long way if it is disgruntled bug owners emailing you. I know it sure made me feel a lot better that someone had noticed.

Oh, the bug got logged out a few days later, it's back in action!

Next event, have a manned table where bugs can get dropped off. At the end of the event, when people are picking up bugs, make sure each bug that gets taken is signed out, then you know who to chase down (or where to point the bug owner) when it doesn't get logged.

I did make a announcement at the event for all to make sure they logged the trackables. I also emailed the person who picked up the "missing" bug, asked him to log it and I emailed the "complainer" who sent the nasty email to me telling them who had their bug.

I thought it out of line calling events "something that just makes trash to be c.i.t.o.ed for real geocachers" to do after an event.

The whole jist of the emails were to complain about tb's, coins and trash.... making it apparent that this person did not like, nor were they ever going to participate in an event. I was flabbergasted. I didn't think it fair to focus so much angst toward us for holding an event. If you don't like events don't go, but also don't complain to those who go to them or who hold them.

I wonder if this is worth all the planning and work we did to hold the event.. then I think... yes, it was because everyone who attended had fun. We got to see our friends and meet new ones too. :sad:

On several of our local events, we went so far as to log every traveler physically placed into the event on a sheet or a lap top. Whenever a bug was taken, the person nickname was written down. The first time we did this, we had about a 99% success rate. I had to email at least ten people to remind them to propery log the bugs out of the event.

There is a good reason why many cachers post a request to keep their travelers out of event caches.

On several of our local events, we went so far as to log every traveler physically placed into the event on a sheet or a lap top. Whenever a bug was taken, the person nickname was written down. The first time we did this, we had about a 99% success rate. I had to email at least ten people to remind them to propery log the bugs out of the event.

There is a good reason why many cachers post a request to keep their travelers out of event caches.

Given the angst of TB owners, and the bad reputation that events seem to have, I think that this is the proper way to go. A pain, to be sure, but the only way to make sure that bugs are logged properly.

Yes, the pink flamingo that my sister was sending me was left at an event at a bar. Nobody noticed a pink flamingo sitting in a bar stool?!? Poor flamingo! A little care and concern for TBs left at events would have prevented this. I hate to think the bar tab that the flamingo has run up!

I plan to have my laptop and a wireless connection at all events hosted in this area. Anyone trading or picking up trackables is invited to log in using the connection while they are at the event. I just wonder if that wouldn't fix some of the problems.

My question to that is, do you have a aircard for wireless service, or do you have an event where there is free wifi nearby to do that??

Maybe it's cos i'm still new (under 30 Finds) but the first thing i want to do when i get back from cacheing is get on the computer and log it... Espesially true if i have picked up bugs or coins...

Also when i am in possesion of bugs or coins i sometimes keep them a while but take then out on every caching outing and log them in and out of the caches that i visit??

Am i just an over excited newbie?? :sad:

I have yet to see an event do anything better for a TB than what the nearest cache could offer.

You shouldn't be surprised when people start to worry about their bug not being logged out of an event. "What's the delay?" is a reasonable question.

I agree with this. However, TB/coin owners who then go on to rant about/to the event host are misdirecting their displeasure. Most events that I've attended or hosted are about getting together with people, having fun and renewing and making new friendships.

I have absolutely NO control over people who might log a bug into my event and then not show up or forget to bring it and not log it back out. I have no real interest or time allocated to keep track of who picks up bugs that do physically show up and make sure they are logged. That just isn't why I have an event.

I'll provide an area where the bugs can be dropped off and picked up. I'll remind people at the event and through the event page or notes to log the bugs that they pick up. But I feel that my responsibility is only to pick up any that are left after the event and drop them off as soon as I can at nearby caches.

Here's what might be a nice feature for both TB owners and event hosts. Allow owners to check a box on their TBs page on the site that would prevent it from being logged into an event. Allow event hosts to check a box on the event page that would prevent TBs from being logged in. As an event host, I might consider doing that.

To the OP, As for bugs still on your event page, just mark them missing if they don't get logged after a few weeks.

Next event, have a manned table where bugs can get dropped off. At the end of the event, when people are picking up bugs, make sure each bug that gets taken is signed out, then you know who to chase down (or where to point the bug owner) when it doesn't get logged.

Our group has done this before and it is a major hassle for the event organizers. At some events there are 50-100 trackables to be logged out and sometimes even more than that.

If someone picks up a trackable item, whether from an event or a regular cache, it is up to them, not the cache owner, to log it properly.

That said, adults need to ensure their children are not picking up trackables without permission. I know my own kids have brought travelbugs home and not told me about them until later. They are no longer allowed to pick them up without asking because I am the one that has to find another cache to put them in.

Some people get a little too emotional wrapped up in thier Travel Bugs. I'll admit to being that way in the past. I have come to accept that 50% of y Travel Bugs will disappear before being moved even so much as 3 or 4 times. Sometimes they reappear later. Sometimes not. Life is just to short to worry about it. I think it would be just silly to restrict your travel bugs out of events and motels. All of mine that have fallen off the radar were at neither kind.

I plan to have my laptop and a wireless connection at all events hosted in this area. Anyone trading or picking up trackables is invited to log in using the connection while they are at the event. I just wonder if that wouldn't fix some of the problems.

At our event in February of this year, we had 5 computers that all had internet capability. I announced several times that we wanted all bugs logged out of the event, and please use the computers on-site if at all possible...I think there are still bugs logged into the event...8 months later.

It's almost impossible to control.

One thing we do for major events in my area is put a disclaimer in bold red text on the cache page stating that the event organizers are not responsible for lost or missing travel bugs. Since we've been doing that the whining / crying emails have stopped completely.

.... Is this just someone that is upset because they didn't come to the event? Or just a person upset because they don't know where their TB is? We did request that all trackables be logged before these emails started.

Has anyone else had a someone complain about their event? What was the complaint and how did you deal?

We want to repeat our event next year, but don't want to get nasty emails.

I've had Travel Bug lovers explain to me that my job as a cache owner is to make sure that all travel bugs are properly accounted for and to maintain them as needed as well as visit all my caches to make sure they are in fact there.

I tell them it's all I can do to maintain my caches and that they are free to follow up on their concerns.

Events having more travel bugs change hands would be worse than regular caches, even the TB Hotels.

This is what we've taken to doing lately. Sure, it's not our fault if TBs or coins go missing, but I still feel bad for the owners so we just avoid that altogether.

One local posted that he wasn't coming to the event because he really liked TBs and coins but that was the only complaint I heard. For me, events are about talking and meeting folks, so keeping travelers out of them isn't a big deal in my eyes.

One local posted that he wasn't coming to the event because he really liked TBs and coins but that was the only complaint I heard. For me, events are about talking and meeting folks, so keeping travelers out of them isn't a big deal in my eyes.

Its nice to exchange travel bugs face to face, which would be part of talking and meeting folks. I just don't think the event organizer should have to keep track of the trading of bugs.

Given the angst of TB owners, and the bad reputation that events seem to have, I think that this is the proper way to go. A pain, to be sure, but the only way to make sure that bugs are logged properly.

Yes, the pink flamingo that my sister was sending me was left at an event at a bar. Nobody noticed a pink flamingo sitting in a bar stool?!? Poor flamingo! A little care and concern for TBs left at events would have prevented this. I hate to think the bar tab that the flamingo has run up!

i'm sorry, but i had to do something when i got thirsty and now they won't let me leave until i pay the bill. :sad:

anyone who says events leave a lot of trash has either been to the wrong event or none at all. after the last midwest geobash the grounds were so clean that you couldn't even tell more than 1,000 people had spent the weekend there.

GUILTY

I just logged one back in that was in an event and had forgotten about it.

When I did inventory today I found a TokenCollector coin out of place.

I immediately logged it to the Big event for Tommarrow.

I really like having my new laptop and have made a list for geocoins and TB's.

I will have it with me and will log all the coins and TB's I come in contact with.

I think the sign out sheet is a great idea.

That way you have a chain of custody for them.

Sorry TokenCollector,back out now,It will not happen again.