Would a cache 20 feet below ground level be legal.

Lacomo

The other underground caches thread got me thinking.

I know where an old abandened well is out in the woods. It has a 6 inch casing that sticks up about 2 feet above ground, and it is probably 30 feet down to the water in it. I could lower a cache on a small cable down 20 feet or so and tie it off to keep it from being lost in the well.

The coords would be right one but the cache would be 20 ft down. Would this be ok if all the other Groundspeak guidlines were meet?

I know where an old abandened well is out in the woods. It has a 6 inch casing that sticks up about 2 feet above ground, and it is probably 30 feet down to the water in it. I could lower a cache on a small cable down 20 feet or so and tie it off to keep it from being lost in the well.

The coords would be right one but the cache would be 20 ft down. Would this be ok if all the other Groundspeak guidlines were meet?

Yep, there are plenty of caches like this and even far sicker. Just be sure to give some cautions about any potential hazards on the cache listing page and assign an appropriate Difficulty/Terrain rating, particularly if a seeker might need to actually enter the well by rappelling down on a rope/harness or something; then again, it would take a pretty slender cacher to rappel down a 6 inch diameter casing...!!! And maybe add the "Danger" attribute icon as well, because someone could fall down that 6" pipe...

I think...

:rolleyes:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Not a problem at all, there are lots of caches out there that take advantage of altitude situations to add some difficulty to the search.

Make it a multi and put the first stage coords 20' up in a tree. That will really confuse seekers. <_<

Edited by wimseyguy

I have a cache that is something like that. Stop by the cache page and check out some of the pics and logs.

Fear Factor#2 (The Hatch)

Go for it!!!! :huh:

My prediction is that it is ok, in fact, by tomorrow there will be people who have posted no less than 4 examples of how below ground caches are in place right now.

I say do it. :D

Your prediction is a little bit off since THIS CACHE is just the third link posted and it's already the day after tomorry. ;):huh:

It's archived now, but it was hidden exactly as the OP suggested hiding theirs. Fun cache. It had 2 black widow spiders on it and I killed another that was just under the lid of the well.

We've got an LPC that's NOT and LPC (I won't list it here for the locals to know about it). There is a large creek that actually runs UNDER the mall and the cache is so many feet from the entrance of the large 10 foot conduit. The cache is directly under a lampost! Cool! Water gets deep and fast when it rains tho....

I know that one...it's very cool...also there is another one near my house that is down an old well in the manner you described...

My prediction is that it is ok, in fact, by tomorrow there will be people who have posted no less than 4 examples of how below ground caches are in place right now.

I say do it. :o

Your prediction is a little bit off since THIS CACHE is just the third link posted and it's already the day after tomorry. :oB)

It's archived now, but it was hidden exactly as the OP suggested hiding theirs. Fun cache. It had 2 black widow spiders on it and I killed another that was just under the lid of the well.

I was also wrong in my prediction that someone would say exactly what you did 24 hours after my post. Where were ya? :P

(Well, you were close...)

There was a cache in my area (now archived) that was about 15-20 feet under an interstate! There is a drainage tunnel crossing under the highway. One end was in a park and there was a nice swale that led to the approximately 5.5 ft diameter pipe. In the middle was a ladder that led up to a manhole on the interstate. The cache was a drink container tied to the bottom of the ladder. There was no need to go out ON the interstate at all.

No problem. I even own one that is 35 feet down.