Jerzee The Devil Geocoin

J10fly

Meet Jerzee:

DevilFrontBack.jpg

OK I have been working on this little idea for quite a while. Living in NJ all my life, 4x4ing in the pinelands over the past dozen years and now geocaching in those same sets of woods I thought this coin would be more than fitting! I am still brainstorming on finishes and enamels and such. I'm thinking some glowing yellow eyes would be real cool and maybe having the lettering on the back in a translucent black enamel. Any thoughts?

If you are not familiar with the jersey devil here's how the story goes:

The Legend of the Jersey Devil

The "Jersey Devil" is said to roam the New Jersey Pinelands and many people have told others of scary encounters on dark nights in the wilderness of the Pines. Its screams are said to be quite chilling to the spine.

The creature is believed to be the unwanted thirteenth child of Mother Leeds. According to those in the know, Mother Leeds , before the birth of her thirteenth child, declared that she wished the Devil would take the child away after it was born. At birth, the child suddenly changed into the ugliest of creatures and flew away into the vast darkness of the Pinelands. It is reported that the Jersey Devil inhabits the eery and misty wetland areas of the region, venturing out into the woodlands at night seeking humans to scare away with his piercing screams and grotesque appearance.

People have drawn lots of pictures of the Jersey Devil, including the one on this page. Many portray him with horns, a forked tail, and a body that is part man and mostly animal. The reason that there are so many versions of what he looks like may be because people are so scared by his ugliness when they see him that they run quickly to escape and don't get a really good look at his features.

At times, there are newspaper articles in southern New Jersey about the latest sighting of the Jersey Devil. Reports of hearing his screams have come even from people in cities near the Pinelands. Some in New Jersey now think that the Jersey Devil is the protector of the Pinelands, who will not harm any humans who love this special area and try to protect it. Perhaps he is not such a bad guy after all.

(Story courtesy of New Jersey Pinelands Commision)

Jayman11

Cool design :unsure: I definately think you have the right idea, Black Nickel metal with the Glowing eyes for sure. I'm even thinking that with Black metal coin both red and black translucent colours could look cool but then again might not just work. I will be keeping an eye on this one to see how it finally turns out. Good 1 jho135

I love the story of the Jersey Devil for years. And thought it would be a cool coin but not being from Jersey I didn't see the connection to Geocaching. I might take one.

Gotcha, it's a pretty cool story especially growing up always hearing different twists to it. Very interesting for sure. For me geocaching and they jersey devil go hand in hand, if you've ever been in the pines by yourself, everytime you hear those strange noises, you just have to wonder. There's a lot of geocaches spread in the areas where the "Devil" has been spotted. You never know, he could be hiding in one out there now! :unsure:

Jayman11

The tail on the "devil" is swirled enough to make it look like a small "s" that got squashed into the design.

If it's not supposed to be an "s" I might suggest changing the way the tail is curled.

I was thinking that was an S on first glance as well, was wondering what the hockey team thought about having a coin named after them! :P

OK...I'm thinking I'm gonna revamp the back somewhat. Possibly the whole back or possibly just the tail on the L. I want the back to incorporate Caching, the Jersey Devil and maybe even me! :laughing: A devilish cacher! Need to put on thinking cap. This coin is somewhat personal to me growing up with all the NJ Devil stories and camping in the woods and caching in those same woods.

Jayman11

Cool. I had a similar idea for a coin with the whole state and horns but this works! :laughing:

Ya mean like this?

Coins084edit.jpg

(take two...)

CF30

Yeah, I was gonna take just the shape of jersey part out and make a bigger coin. :o

I'll be in for a couple.

Edited by avroair

Catchie name like that ! Devilish cache... My hubby is edsfind and we live in nj and both think add some more color to the coin , and that NJ DEVILS on back of coin , should be rethought maybe? Sounds like the hockey team... Cant wait to get one!

LOL...it wasnt NJ Devils on the back. Supposed to be N Devil with a tail coming off the "l" but looks like an s a little too much.....im gonna take the tail and have it go from the backside of the "l" and wrap underneath the entire "Devil" and adding in something to the effect of "Caching With The" on the top. I will change the image on the top in the next day or so when i finish it. BTW Sexy, I know your husband! (Sorta) Tell him I said Hi.

Jayman11

Cool. I had a similar idea for a coin with the whole state and horns but this works! :(

Ya mean like this?

*snip*

(take two...)

CF30

Yeah, I was gonna take just the shape of jersey part out and make a bigger coin. :laughing:

I'll be in for a couple.

LOL....that was my exact idea Avro....great minds think alike! :o

Jayman11

Like it and will get some but it seems to be missing something. Not sure what but something to make it pop. Maybe the horns in gold instead of black? <_<

Maybe have what's black in the metals.....so the front right now is probably about what the black nickel would look like.

Jayman11

Like it and will get some but it seems to be missing something. Not sure what but something to make it pop. Maybe the horns in gold instead of black? <_<

Maybe have what's black in the metals.....so the front right now is probably about what the black nickel would look like.

Jayman11

Yeah I think I like that. Love BN but sometimes it is too dark for a coin.

Also was wondering if there was some way to include something more about the devil - maybe just "Caching the New Jersey Pinelands with the Jerzee Devil." With the story behind the devil it seems to call for more. Gives the coin a bit more meaning as to what it stands for. :mad:

Wasn't thinking clear when i did that but yes it should lose the New off there so I will clean that up. As for other color I dont see doing much more in color on it just for the pure fact that he is a very dark character and the red and black are his traditional colors so I definately want to stick to that. Again this is still a fresh design so I just thought it would be cool to post it up early this time and let some people see it go step by step till it's finished and let them have some feedback into the design. Kinda cool I thought!

Jayman11

Thanks guys, I changed it once more, front and back. I think I am just about there with this one. I am digging the scaley thing too so I will figure out how we can run these to give them that look. Translucent red w/a textured metal behind should do the trick! ^_^

Jayman11