INAPPROPRATE GEOCACH!

GoHogsGo

"INAPPROPRATE GEOCACH!" - I gave my son a new GPS unit for his birthday because he had gotten into geocaching with my brother and sister-in-law. On our first trip out in Little Rock, Arkansas we found a partially decomposed "DEAD CAT" buried at the exact location identified by Geocach user "maddlove".

"maddlove" has several other geocaches listed in Little Rock and I would caution all users to stay clear of his geocaches.

"INAPPROPRATE GEOCACH!" - I gave my son a new GPS unit for his birthday because he had gotten into geocaching with my brother and sister-in-law. On our first trip out in Little Rock, Arkansas we found a partially decomposed "DEAD CAT" buried at the exact location identified by Geocach user "maddlove".

"maddlove" has several other geocaches listed in Little Rock and I would caution all users to stay clear of his geocaches.

I think your big warning may have jumped the gun on this forum post.

Have you contacted the cache owner and asked if his cache was the dead cat?

It may just be a bad coincidence that the cat has been burried in the same vacinity as the cache.

We find that a cache is not usually at the perfect co'ordinates that are listed, and are often found upto 10 metres from the actual listed coords.

Check it out first, then if the cacher says "yeah, it is in the dead cats b*m" or something similar, THEN report the cache, and have his caches removed.

Since geocaches aren't buried, why were you digging? And why do you automatically assume the cache owner is at fault? It's not possible that some other person put it there? You seem pretty quick to point fingers.

i'm not SURE he didn't do it on purpose, but it's kind of a long shot.

sometimes you find dead stuff. many of the traits of a good hiding place also make for a good burying place. and often one has nothing to do with the other.

it's best to ask some polite questions. start with the hider.

We had a situation in Austin a few years ago like this, also. I don't remember the entire story, but a new cacher went out to a popular park and found a dead dog lying darn near on top of the cache! Needless to say, it really freaked her out.

The cache itself was on a slope. After investigation, the cache owner found a bag at the top of the hill. We all figured that someone's dog had died, and they put it (dumped it?) on the top of the wooded slope to dispose of it. Animals opened the bag, and after animals had been nosing around it, the dog rolled down the slope to rest where the cache was hidden.

Things like this do happen.... mostly by accident, or nature intervening. A cat, if it is injured, or ill, will often go off and hide to recuperate (or die).

My GF had a cache out for just a short time and both a dead bird and a dead opposum turned up nearby. Added a bit of difficulty just to be near the cache site but that is an actual hazzard of nature. Those that found it during the time the animals were getting back to nature just noted it in the logs.

The OP seems a bit quick to pull the trigger on a witch hunt. Better luck next time.

sometimes you find dead stuff. many of the traits of a good hiding place also make for a good burying place. and often one has nothing to do with the other.

Seems to go along with Prime Suspect's signature line:

Never mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body.

Yup...dead cats happen. We too have seen a decomposing cat napping within 10 feet of a micro hidden in a city park. I am not a forensic investigator, but I think the cache came before the cat. :o

"maddlove" has several other geocaches listed in Little Rock and I would caution all users to stay clear of his geocaches

Aw geeze now I'm in trouble!!! I have hidden caches in skulls before, and I have a couple more skulls mellowing at the moment. Am I gonna get blacklisted?

I briefly thought about hunting for one of OPs caches, but realized that there was a dead cow buried within a few thousand miles. Highly inappropriate!

beccf75d-adf5-47bb-b0ab-a542f007342f.jpg

Oh, wait. OP has never found a cache, never hidden a cache. Hmm... (Checking for burial sites of trolls...)

Edited by Harry Dolphin

Clearly the OP doesn't have enough experience with the game to understand what they were suggesting. However, I think they thought they were being helpful to the rest of the forum community. Definitely could have gone about it differently and in the process maybe they would have learned more about circumstances. But again, I think they were coming from a place of wanting to help.

We hid a micro cache near a nice place beside a creek, with a big wide pull off beside the road.

Since hiding, a dead dog has turned up, as well as some dead fish parts. Because of the nice pull off of the road, and it being in a remote type area, it also seems to be a popular place to drop off some dead animals.

Some of the local cachers and myself joked about the dead dog being the geocache, but they all really knew better, and once the smell died down everyone found the real thing.

Point being, dead animals happen. Sometimes the best places to hide a cache, also turn out to be the best places to get rid of some unwanted things too.

I briefly thought about hunting for one of OPs caches, but realized that there was a dead cow buried within a few thousand miles. Highly inappropriate!

beccf75d-adf5-47bb-b0ab-a542f007342f.jpg

Oh, wait. OP has never found a cache, never hidden a cache. Hmm... (Checking for burial sites of trolls...)

Heey, I was here Saturday. My brother-in-law lives a few hundred feet from Elsie's grave. Used to be a virtual. I was thinking of putting a real cache there.

What i dont like about this situation is the OP has no finds listed and seems more concerned with putting someone down than helping to fixing any potential problems. The reason for this thread is suspect IMO.

The OP stated "I gave my son a new GPS unit for his birthday because he had gotten into geocaching with my brother and sister-in-law. On our first trip out in Little Rock, Arkansas we found a partially decomposed "DEAD CAT" buried at the exact location identified by Geocach user "maddlove".

"maddlove" has several other geocaches listed in Little Rock and I would caution all users to stay clear of his geocaches"

That would indicate to me that they are new to caching, tried for their first find, and found the dead cat, so Its no reason to think that thier post is a suspect thread.

I think, like others have said, that the OP figured that the GPS would take you to the exact inch of dirt that the cache was placed.

So all those geocaches I've done at cemeteries - those people were buried there by the cache hider? Wow!

reading this thread, and seeing how new cachers might dig up anything buried at the spot indicated by the GPSr in hopes of finding the cache...

makes me think cemetary caches aren't such a good idea.

WOW!!! I just ran across this. First of all, I'm not a he, I'm a she. Secondly, I'm actually a bit of an animal rights activist not to mention a vegetarian. Thirdly, I can't help but to find this to be incredibly hysterically. I am very sorry that the lady and her son had a bad experience while geocaching. It saddens me to think of all the fun they will be missing, should this deter them from caching. I can honestly assure everyone that I did not bury a dead cat at or in the vicinity of one of my geocaches. Anyone steering clear of my caches is missing out on more than a dead cat. I really do try to put a little bit of love in each cache I place. I want them to be a pleasant and memorable experience. Thank you to all of you who came to my rescue. I love this game. You guys are all great!!!

Edited by maddlove

WOW!!! I just ran across this. First of all, I'm not a he, I'm a she. Secondly, I'm actually a bit of an animal rights activist not to mention a vegetarian. Thirdly, I can't help but to find this to be incredibly hysterically. I am very sorry that the lady and her son had a bad experience while geocaching. It saddens me to think of all the fun they will be missing, should this deter them from caching. I can honestly assure everyone that I did not bury a dead cat at or in the vicinity of one of my geocaches. Anyone steering clear of my caches is missing out on more than a dead cat. I really do try to put a little bit of love in each cache I place. I want them to be a pleasant and memorable experience. Thank you to all of you who came to my rescue. I love this game. You guys are all great!!!

I haven't buried any cats, dead or alive near any of my caches either.

Please do not 'rescue' me.

Thank you. :o