Geocoin terminology

Given the recent drama in another thread, I thought it might be wise to start a list of commonly used terminology in the geocoin world.

Maybe if we get enough posts here Eartha and I will discuss pinning the thread so everybody (especially newbies) can be referred to it.

Since we don't have a wiki that can be used, we'll use this thread.

Copy the terms and add another one so we keep a running list. We'll figure out what to do with it later.

Feel free to add comments as well so we get a general consensus on the definitions:

LE: Limited Edition. Typically a differenet version (color, metal, etc.) than the main run of coins. Produced in a limited quantity.

SE: Special Edition. Typically a different version that the main run of coins. No limit on the number minted.

XLE: Extremely Limited Edition. Same as LE only more rare.

AE: Artists Edition. Typically a version only made available to the producer of the coin. He/She decides what to do with them.

That should get you all started. Add your terms and I'll check back in later to see how we're doing.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Given the recent drama in another thread, I thought it might be wise to start a list of commonly used terminology in the geocoin world.

Maybe if we get enough posts here Eartha and I will discuss pinning the thread so everybody (especially newbies) can be referred to it.

Copy the terms and add another one so we keep a running list. We'll figure out what to do with it later.

Feel free to add comments as well so we get a general consensus on the definitions:

LE: Limited Edition. Typically a differenet version (color, metal, etc.) than the main run of coins. Produced in a limited quantity.

SE: Special Edition. Typically a different version that the main run of coins. No limit on the number minted.

AE: Artists Edition. Typically a version only made available to the producer of the coin. He/She decides what to do with them.

That should get you all started. Add your terms and I'll check back in later to see how we're doing.

RE: is regular edition

RE: regular edition - A coin that is open-ended on number of coins that will be minted. Or possibly a coin that is "widely available", which usually means a minting quantity of 100 or more. [FEEL FREE TO ADJUST NUMBER HERE TO COMMUNITY CONSENSUS]

Antique Finish: A finish applied to copper, gold, or silver to give it a darker look. This finish is used often to have the fine details in a coin stand out more clearly.

Satin Finish: Like an unpolished finish, giving a foggy look to the metal.

Micro: A geocoin that is smaller than ~1.25 inches in diameter. Generally recognized as a coin that would fit inside a 35mm film canister (but not always). [FEEL FREE TO ADJUST THE SIZE STATED HERE TO THE COMMUNITY CONSENSUS]

Personal: A geocoin that is produced or designed by an individual or team of geocachers and it features that cacher's name somewhere prominent on the coin.

HTF: Hard to Find - coins that are limited supply and high demand. Very desirable as collectors items.

VHTF: Very Hard to Find

Custom Icon: When you activate the geocoin or log the geocoin as found or discovered, this is the special icon that shows up on your profile under the 'Trackables' tab. These are 32x32 GIF files that are unique to the coin or coin series. (Also often has a related 16x16 GIF is used for Inventory lists)

(edits to add Bold and further define "RE")

Edited by wsgaskins

Excellent thread!!!! And, a great source of info for everyone - Can I recommend this be pinned?

See my first post.

So far we have:

RE: regular edition - A coin that is open-ended on number of coins that will be minted. Or possibly a coin that is "widely available", which usually means a minting quantity of 100 or more. [FEEL FREE TO ADJUST NUMBER HERE TO COMMUNITY CONSENSUS]

LE: Limited Edition. Typically a differenet version (color, metal, etc.) than the main run of coins. Produced in a limited quantity and usually not re-minted after the initial minting.

Antique Finish: A finish applied to copper, gold, or silver to give it a darker look. This finish is used often to have the fine details in a coin stand out more clearly.

Micro: A geocoin that is smaller than ~1.25 inches in diameter. Generally recognized as a coin that would fit inside a 35mm film canister (but not always). [FEEL FREE TO ADJUST THE SIZE STATED HERE TO THE COMMUNITY CONSENSUS]

Personal: A geocoin that is produced or designed by an individual or team of geocachers and features that cacher's name somewhere prominent on the coin.

HTF: Hard to Find - coins that are limited supply and high demand. Very desirable as collectors items.

Custom Icon: When you activate the geocoin or log the geocoin as found or discovered, this is the special icon that shows up on your profile under the 'Trackables' tab. These are 32x32 GIF files that are unique to the coin or coin series. (Also often has a related 16x16 GIF that is used for Inventory lists)

Damenace - not sure what you mean? I'm trying to get definitions here. Do you mean something else?

...Micro: A geocoin that is smaller than ~1.25 inches in diameter. Generally recognized as a coin that would fit inside a 35mm film canister (but not always). [FEEL FREE TO ADJUST THE SIZE STATED HERE TO THE COMMUNITY CONSENSUS]...

My vote is that it will always fit inside a 35mm Film Cainser or it's not a micro coin.

...Micro: A geocoin that is smaller than ~1.25 inches in diameter. Generally recognized as a coin that would fit inside a 35mm film canister (but not always). [FEEL FREE TO ADJUST THE SIZE STATED HERE TO THE COMMUNITY CONSENSUS]...

My vote is that it will always fit inside a 35mm Film Cainser or it's not a micro coin.

This could be splitting hairs. I'm not sure we want to get into too much detail. We could go back and forth on the exact dimensions of a micro coin with no agreement. I suggest that we go with something generic like "smaller than the normla 1.5 inch diameter geocoin. How's that?

Just think about if we started debating what is/isn't a geocoin?

Kidding, please don't go there.

This could be splitting hairs. I'm not sure we want to get into too much detail. We could go back and forth on the exact dimensions of a micro coin with no agreement. I suggest that we go with something generic like "smaller than the normla 1.5 inch diameter geocoin. How's that?

Debate? I think that we should just direct the debate of that topic to other sources, but I think it's necessary to include a reference.

Geocoin: See: Geocaching's Geocoin FAQ followed by Geocoin FAQ (link copied from this forum's FAQ). Wash this all down with a dessert of Geocoin Discussion Forum Guidelines. Rinse. Repeat. B)

And from another new topic thread:

Dipping: Taking an activated geocoin in your possession and dropping it into a cache when you find that cache followed immediately by retrieving the coin from that same cache. The coin can accumulate mileage this way and you can have a separate, personal travel log for comments about your caching adventures (spoilers, reminders of the hide style, photos, etc.) that you may not want to include on the cache log.

(edit to correct capitalization)

Edited by wsgaskins

This would be for the Artist who designed the coin, which isn't always the producer. What sets the AE coins apart from the rest is generally a different Metal finish, enamel choice and even color. Also there is usually a very limited amount of this coin.

Perhaps we need to also define: Producer, Mint, & Vendor?

Something on the underlying metals as well. Different types, weights, costs (more or less expensive) etc.

Types of coin finishes - enamel, hard, soft, etc.

Thickness of coins - including that an edge can have writing depending on the size

Sizes of coins - and not to define if they are a micro or a regular - just to list the "most" common sizes of coins allowing that many coins are shaped and not round.

I would fill these in but it would be woefully lacking. B)

So far we have:

LE: Limited Edition. Typically a differenet version (color, metal, etc.) than the main run of coins. Produced in a limited quantity and usually not re-minted after the initial minting.

I'm a numbers kind of guy, so I'd like to see some more numbers in here. It seems to me the best way to address the "editions" is to use percentages of the total minting. My numbers may not be the numbers that everyone wants to see, but I'm more interested in if you like the idea at all. So here goes:

RE: regular edition = More than 70% of the total coins minted are in this finish/color, etc.

LE: Limited Edition. = Less than 20% of the total coins minted are in this finish/color, etc.

XLE: Extremely Limited Edition. = Less than 10% of the total coins minted are in this finish/color, etc.

Now I'm NOT saying anyone does this, but I think using percentages is a good way to prevent someone from minting say 100 coins, and calling 51 of those "RE" and the other 49 "LE". As it is now, I just don't have a good feel for where people draw the line on LE's. I really doubt that anyone does this, but the question is, where do you draw the line? 55 RE's and 45 are LE's? Probably not. But a 70/30 split, maybe. And then if you throw the XLE's in there, what's a good # for those? Is it 70/20/10 split? or is that too many to call XLE? Should it only be 5% so it's a 75/20/5 split?

Now, I understand that for LE's this is also contingent on no more being made in that color/finish, etc. But, for argument's sake, let's just say in the above example it was only going to be 1 run, ever, anyway.

What do you think?

Edited by ChadsClan

Not to disagree here but you are splitting hairs when you pick the 1.5 inch. I like the scale of fits in a 35mm film case as where to draw the line. Micro coin should fit in micro cache, correct?

So far we have:

I'm a numbers kind of guy, so I'd like to see some more numbers in here. It seems to me the best way to address the "editions" is to use percentages of the total minting. My numbers may not be the numbers that everyone wants to see, but I'm more interested in if you like the idea at all. So here goes:

RE: regular edition = More than 70% of the total coins minted are in this finish/color, etc.

LE: Limited Edition. = Less than 20% of the total coins minted are in this finish/color, etc.

XLE: Extremely Limited Edition. = Less than 10% of the total coins minted are in this finish/color, etc.

Now I'm NOT saying anyone does this, but I think using percentages is a good way to prevent someone from minting say 100 coins, and calling 51 of those "RE" and the other 49 "LE". As it is now, I just don't have a good feel for where people draw the line on LE's. I really doubt that anyone does this, but the question is, where do you draw the line? 55 RE's and 45 are LE's? Probably not. But a 70/30 split, maybe. And then if you throw the XLE's in there, what's a good # for those? Is it 70/20/10 split? or is that too many to call XLE? Should it only be 5% so it's a 75/20/5 split?

Now, I understand that for LE's this is also contingent on no more being made in that color/finish, etc. But, for argument's sake, let's just say in the above example it was only going to be 1 run, ever, anyway.

What do you think?

I like the %. Better defines the numbers being minted fall within this and people know what to expect.

Question though, I make 1000, 700 RE, 200 LE and 100 XLE. Those last two numbers seem high when you compare to a coin that is only produced with a total of 100 (70, 20, 10).

I would like to see number put to these not to get picky, but 100 and 10 in the examples are very different.

I have to somewhat agree with ChadsClan... but the problem with that is this:

Not everyone who mints coins will agree because of this factor - in your scenario, If a producer mints 100 coins and 51 are REs and the LE run will not be minted again... then the 49 are, in fact, LEs.

However, if all producers of coins got together (which IMO will never happen) and decided what percentages to define each 'definition', then there would be some sort of baseline to go by, but until that happens, each producer of coins will have their own interpretation of what coins are REs, what are LEs and so on...

Personally, I wouldn't want to see that happen. It's the same with Baseball cards... it's up to each company in what they want to produce and label Regular, Limited, Special or whatever. I believe that too many rules and guidelines are detrimental to collecting if there is a standard that each producer must adhere to.

Just my 2 cents ~

~J

Other that may need to be added?

GeoTags

Trolley Tokens

Wooden nickels / poker chips.

World Release Register

Mystery coins (the secret agent, Geo leprechaun)

Group project coins (top 40, chicks, jellies)

Hard enamel

Soft enamel

The standard color numbers used by the mints.

Cutouts

Anti muggle techniques (drilling, scratching, cables, locks, 2 coin sets)

Tractable non-tractable

proof coins.

Edited by Good 'OL Eagle

So far we have:

What do you think?

Like the original post, I'm not sure that assigning a numerical value to the edition is really necessary. A further explanation is helpful though.

RE: Regular Edition - The most common of the coin finishes released. (May also be known as "Rare Edition", but this is seldom the case.)

LE: Limited Edition - An version of the edition that is somehow different from the regular edition. This is usually, but not limited to a change in metal or finish. There will be some difference between the LE and RE edition to set it apart in some fashion. To make it limited, there will be considerably fewer of these coins available.

XLE: Extra Limited Edition - Similar to the LE, there is a subtle difference between this and the other two versions of the coin. This version will consist of a very small number of coins available then both the Limited Edition and the Regular Edition.

AE: Commonly referred to as the Artist's Edition. More that likely these coins are the original proofs that the artist received. They will be a unique set of coins, with different finishes and metals. They will also not include tracking numbers, even if other editions of the coin are trackable. The purpose of these coins was to display the coin concept in various metals and finishes.

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.

I agree with the percentage method. I would think it would be just a max %, so if you wanted to have your LE's make up only 10% instead of 20% that would be fine (it just shouldn't go higher). While everyone may not want to follow along, it's good to have a guideline and I think most people would be glad to help make things more fluid, avoiding problems down the road when people feel scammed because their LE that they paid 30% more for isn't so special after all.

I also agree that a micro should fit into a micro container, and the original standard for micro containers was a 35mm film can, so that seems to be good.

Perhaps there needs to be a name for coins between the micro and standard size as anything smaller than 1.5 doesn't seem to fit in the standard category either? Micro/Tweener/Standard/Mega? Ok, manybe not tweener, but you get the drift.

Agreed-AE means Artist, the one who created the design, not necessarily who produced them.

I don't think this should be the place for enamels/metals/etc, all of these things can be found on vendor sites and would just clutter the terminology topic. Another pinned thread that had pix and such of this would be ok, but it is all at the vendor sites, so perhaps that is redundant?

...This could be splitting hairs. I'm not sure we want to get into too much detail. We could go back and forth on the exact dimensions of a micro coin with no agreement. I suggest that we go with something generic like "smaller than the normla 1.5 inch diameter geocoin. How's that?...

Not small enough to fit into the gold standard of what a Micro Is.

The point of definitions is so we agree and when I'm talking Micro Coin and you are talking Micro Coin we both know they will fit into a film canister. Otherwise it's just a coin of indeterminate size that may or may not be useful for micro caches, which really means we don't even need the term Micro Coin.

Artist Edition, sounds a lot like a sample coin in which case call it a sample coin. It seems like Artist Edition would have something "more" than a mere sample. Different colors tried out, different finishes, maybe an autographed and signed sample. I'm not sure what should be different but a sample is just a sample. Though I recon Artist Edition would sound better on eBay.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Artist Edition, sounds a lot like a sample coin in which case call it a sample coin. It seems like Artist Edition would have something "more" than a mere sample. Different colors tried out, different finishes, maybe an autographed and signed sample. I'm not sure what should be different but a sample is just a sample. Though I recon Artist Edition would sound better on eBay.

I agree that samples are not artist editions. People came up with the term AE to sell them for more $$. If someone wanted an AE it would then be trackable and in a quantity of 2 or 3. Proof geocoins are samples also and not trackable. In my opinion.

Edited by Mr.Explorer3

There should be a defintion for both AE and Sample. Using one of my own coin examples here; the Whale Trail, I did not get 25 sample coins, I designed my AE coin with myself in mind (never got a sample of them either). I knew what I wanted, I chose a different metal and different colors, slightly different than the RE so I would have something different as the Artist. A sample in my opinion is what you receive when you are trying to make up your mind as to what metals/colors you are choosing to produce/mint.

tsun B)

An artist edition is not a sample. It is a small run given to the artist, generally with their choice of metal and finish. I believe they are used as payment or partial payment for their design work.

A sample is a look at the coin before you commit to a full run.

Agreed.

Also will agree on the micro coin definition.

I like the addtions put in here, so I'll try to gather them all up tonight and post an update.

I do think some things are a bit overkill for this list, though.

I'll look for more feedback after posting the update later.

Nice work so far.

Perhaps there needs to be a name for coins between the micro and standard size as anything smaller than 1.5 doesn't seem to fit in the standard category either? Micro/Tweener/Standard/Mega? Ok, manybe not tweener, but you get the drift.

I suggest that we just define 'micro'. This is the most common term used for describing coins and could be confusing to a new geocoin purchaser/collector. It certianly doesn't mean 1,000,000 time smaller than a regular geocoin. B) See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro

I don't think this should be the place for enamels/metals/etc, all of these things can be found on vendor sites and would just clutter the terminology topic. Another pinned thread that had pix and such of this would be ok, but it is all at the vendor sites, so perhaps that is redundant?

Well, certainly vendors list this information if you go looking to have your own coin minted, but again, for the new purchaser/collector, the distinction between "hard" (or really "imitation hard") and soft enamels is confusing. I'll quote an earlier thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2685012

Enamels

Hard Enamel: (aka. Imitation Hard Enamel) A coloring option where the colors of the enamel colored areas on the coin are polished to be flush with the metal. This means the coin flat and has no texture in the places where the hard enamel was used.

Soft Enamel: An colored enamel process where liquid enamel is put onto the coin, but does not completely fill the design. After curing, the resulting coin with colors but it still has texture where the raised metal areas are in the design.

Epoxy: A clear over-coat on the surface of a coin. Epoxy is typically used to protect delicate features such as glitter, but it may also be applied just to give a smooth finish cover to a coin.

Glow in the Dark: An enamel that is luminescent after being exposed to light.

UV Fluorescent: An enamel that is luminescent under UV light.

Design features:

3D: The design has 3-dimensional features. Think of standard US currency coins -- all of these are 3D design on at least one side - usually the portrait. 3D designs are most often not covered with enamel.

2D: The design consists of only raised and recessed metal features. Geocoins with a 2D designs often have colored enamels filled into the recessed metal areas in at least some portions of the design.

So is there a quantity limit to AE or is it limited by the fact of not for sale/personal trade only?

I have seen some people say LE 10-20% of RE, XLE 10-20% of LE, XXLE 10-20% of XLE.

Using this example 250 coins translates into 200 RE, 40 LE, 8 XLE, and 2 XXLE.

500= 400 RE, 80 LE, 16 XLE, 4 XXLE.

In order to have 30 or so XLE you need to produce 1000 geocoins. I have seen XLE listed on e-place with 300 coins minted in the production and they are claiming to sell 100 and are saying they are XLE.

I can see where defining the terms would standardize geocoins and keep people from fudging numbers to make money.

While we're at adding abbreviations:

Polished finishes - (shiny!)

( S ) - Silver

( G ) - Gold

( B ) - Bronze

( C ) or ( Cu ) - Copper

( N ) - Nickel

( BN ) - Black Nickel

Variations:

(AS) - Antique Silver

(AG) - Antique Gold

(AB) - Antique Bronze

(AC) - Antique Copper

(SG) - Satin Gold

(SS) - Satin Silver

(SN) - Satin Nickel

(MG) - Misty Gold

(MS) - Misty Silver

(MN) - Misty Nickel

(TT) - Two Tone - any combo of the two of the above.

I admit that I don't know the difference between Misty and Satin finishes. Maybe they are just 2 names for the same thing.

Edited by wsgaskins

Ok, updated list for your discussion:

2D: The design consists of only raised and recessed metal features. Geocoins with a 2D designs often have colored enamels filled into the recessed metal areas in at least some portions of the design.

3D: The design has 3-dimensional features. Think of standard US currency coins -- all of these are 3D design on at least one side - usually the portrait. 3D designs are most often not covered with enamel.

AE: Artists Edition. A version only made available to the designer of the coin. Generally a different metal finish, different colors, etc.

Custom Icon: When you activate the geocoin or log the geocoin as found or discovered, this is the special icon that shows up on your profile under the 'Trackables' tab. These are 32x32 GIF files that are unique to the coin or coin series. (Also often has a related 16x16 GIF that is used for Inventory lists)

Dipping: Taking an activated geocoin in your possession and dropping it into a cache when you find that cache followed immediately by retrieving the coin from that same cache. The coin can accumulate mileage this way and you can have a separate, personal travel log for comments about your caching adventures (spoilers, reminders of the hide style, photos, etc.) that you may not want to include on the cache log.

Epoxy: A clear over-coat on the surface of a coin. Epoxy is typically used to protect delicate features such as glitter, but it may also be applied just to give a smooth finish cover to a coin.

Finishes (See vendor websites for pictures)

(AB) - Antique Bronze

(AC) - Antique Copper

(AG) - Antique Gold

(AS) - Antique Silver

( B ) - Bronze

(BN) - Black Nickel

( C ) or (Cu) - Copper

(G) - Gold

(MG) - Misty Gold

(MN) - Misty Nickel

(MS) - Misty Silver

(N) - Nickel

(S) - Silver

(SG) - Satin Gold

(SN) - Satin Nickel

(SS) - Satin Silver

(TT) - Two Tone - any combo of the two of the above

Hard Enamel: (aka. Imitation Hard Enamel) A coloring option where the colors of the enamel colored areas on the coin are polished to be flush with the metal. This means the coin flat and has no texture in the places where the hard enamel was used.

LE: Limited Edition. Typically a differenet version (color, metal, etc.) than the Regular Edition. Produced in a limited quantity and usually not re-minted after the initial minting. Typically this is less than 20% of the total run of coins.

Micro: A geocoin that is smaller than ~1.25 inches in diameter. Generally recognized as a coin that would fit inside a 35mm film canister.

Personal: A geocoin that is produced or designed by an individual or team of geocachers and features that cacher's name somewhere prominent on the coin.

RE: Regular edition - The most common of the coin finishes released or a coin that is "widely available", which usually means a minting quantity of 100 or more. Typically this is 70% or more of the total run of coins.

Sample Coins: More that likely these coins are the original proofs that the artist received. They will be a unique set of coins, with different finishes and metals. They will also not include tracking numbers, even if other editions of the coin are trackable. The purpose of these coins was to display the coin concept in various metals and finishes.

Soft Enamel: An colored enamel process where liquid enamel is put onto the coin, but does not completely fill the design. After curing, the resulting coin with colors but it still has texture where the raised metal areas are in the design.

XLE: Extremely Limited Edition. Same as LE only more rare. Typically this is less than 10% of the total run of coins.

So is there a quantity limit to AE or is it limited by the fact of not for sale/personal trade only? ...

AE is very fuzzy still.

If when I make my coin I sell 1000 and have 3 made for myself that are different. That may be AE and different from the sample which would resemble the 1000. So then you have 1004 coins. 1000 common and 3 Ultra Rare and 1 Super Ultra Rare.

People forget to tell everone about those other 4 coins. We are going to have to figure out most of them with Hindsight.

Here is one for you. I have two samples of the FX1 coin. But the coin maker quit. I'll have another in a week and get the coins ordered. Those coins will have a different size and slightly different art, different die, but pretty much the same coin. What the heck are those two?

So is there a quantity limit to AE or is it limited by the fact of not for sale/personal trade only?

From my own experience:

VW Bug Geocoin Racers 1000 coins produced 250 of each color on BN regular edition

16 Black on Shiny Nickel AE

16 Purple on Shiny Nickel AE

2 of each regular colors (Orange, Blue, Yellow, Green) on Shiny Nickel AE

For a total of 40 AE coins I think this is roughly (I'm not good at %'s) 5%or less than the production total.

I have received both slightly more and slightly less but all in all pretty close to 5%.

The quantity for AE's is not, and IMO will not ever be set because this is as Joni mentioned either payment or partial payment for the artwork. However if I am not mistaken the percentage is relative and should be around 5% of total production.

Again the above is only based on my experience.

There is also:

Translucent finish - It is a transparent enamel that covers a raised metal finish for a visual effect.

Special Effect - Spinning or hinged parts to give the coin a range of motion. LED lighting could also qualify.

And since they do exist:

Photocopy coins - a copy of a coin is made that includes it's tracking number. The original coin stays with the owner, while the replica of the coin is released to travel through caches.

And since they do exist:

Photocopy coins - a copy of a coin is made that includes it's tracking number. The original coin stays with the owner, while the replica of the coin is released to travel through caches.

Please -- these are more properly called

Photocopy "coins"

You have to include the quotes when you're lying about something. Kinda like: We Have the "Best" Prices in town. B)

I think the answer is: No and No.

An Artist's Edition is just that -- whatever the Artist says it is. You'd have to ask the particular artist how many coins they had made just for themselves, and what's special or different about their variety. Maybe the artist really loves the design and decides to buy a whole bunch extras.... As with most things, it all depends....

Here is one for you. I have two samples of the FX1 coin. But the coin maker quit. I'll have another in a week and get the coins ordered. Those coins will have a different size and slightly different art, different die, but pretty much the same coin. What the heck are those two?

They are samples, just as you referred to them as.

Edited by MustangJoni

And since they do exist:

Photocopy "coins"

You have to include the quotes when you're lying about something. Kinda like: We Have the "Best" Prices in town. B)

I thought they were Photofake "coins". I have had people e-mail me and were mad when these were lost or unmoved.

And since they do exist:

Photocopy "coins"

Replica or Fakes, or Virtual coins would work better.

Edited by Renegade Knight

And since they do exist:

Photocopy "coins"

Replica or Fakes, or Virtual coins would work better.

I call them trash :lol: (No, don't worry, I don't throw them away, I just leave them be!)

This dictionary of terms is getting quite long and I'm already finding myself glossing over as I go through it. Must be ADHD. I think it's important to keep in mind that this is largely for newbies and needs to remain somewhat short or it will become completely overwhelming.

Proof geocoins are samples also and not trackable.

Not true. I have samples right now of the Masonic coin and they are completely trackable. AE is something someone came up with to try and get more cash out of everyone. It's nothing more than a LE, which has expanded into XLE and such once again to drive up prices. Call it a XLE or AE. They are both the same, one just sounds more prestigious.

(AB) - Antique Bronze

(AC) - Antique Copper

(AG) - Antique Gold

(AS) - Antique Silver

( B ) - Bronze

(BN) - Black Nickel

( C ) or (Cu) - Copper

(G) - Gold

(MG) - Misty Gold

(MN) - Misty Nickel

(MS) - Misty Silver

(N) - Nickel

(S) - Silver

(SG) - Satin Gold

(SN) - Satin Nickel

(SS) - Satin Silver

Just the other day, I was posting some coins into "What was in your mailbox today?" I had a copper coin and a chrome coin. I've always used C for copper. Any suggestions for chrome?

(Cr) - Chrome ?

AE: Artists Edition. A version only made available to the designer of the coin. Generally a different metal finish, different colors, etc.

(AB) - Antique Bronze

(AC) - Antique Copper

(AG) - Antique Gold

(AS) - Antique Silver

( B ) - Bronze

(BN) - Black Nickel

( C ) or (Cu) - Copper

(G) - Gold

(MG) - Misty Gold

(MN) - Misty Nickel

(MS) - Misty Silver

(N) - Nickel

(S) - Silver

(SG) - Satin Gold

(SN) - Satin Nickel

(SS) - Satin Silver

LE: Limited Edition. Typically a differenet version (color, metal, etc.) than the Regular Edition. Produced in a limited quantity and usually not re-minted after the initial minting. Typically this is less than 20% of the total run of coins.

Micro: A geocoin that is smaller than ~1.25 inches in diameter. Generally recognized as a coin that would fit inside a 35mm film canister.

RE: Regular edition - The most common of the coin finishes released or a coin that is "widely available", which usually means a minting quantity of 100 or more. Typically this is 70% or more of the total run of coins.

Sample Coins: More that likely these coins are the original proofs that the artist received. They will be a unique set of coins, with different finishes and metals. They will also not include tracking numbers, even if other editions of the coin are trackable. The purpose of these coins was to display the coin concept in various metals and finishes.

XLE: Extremely Limited Edition. Same as LE only more rare. Typically this is less than 10% of the total run of coins.

Edge Numbering: Engraving of serial or tracking information on the edge of the coin (I believe that my Personal Geocoin was the 1st to use this).

Never really thought about it, but you're right PGH, if it's one coin then I could see it being an AE, but when 10, 15, 20 are made it just because another LE or XLE.

Can I use this to quote in any thread I am speaking in? I need this for a blanket statement. In fact would you mind saying it a little louder so my wife can hear ya?