Google Earth update

Not sure when this happened but there are loads of new areas in higher definition including the Westcountry at last. :lol:

Cool! About time we had a look in down 'ere! :D

Good fun trying to work out the age of the images! Must be a few years old though as we have what looks like a beach tent in the garden? Nowadays if the sun's out wouldn't dream of having a day in! :blink:

Also noticed it's the old shape Exeter high street and the Blue Ball at Sidford hasn't burned down yet!

Here's what's changed.

New high resolution:

Canada: Whistler, BC; Waterloo & Toronto, Ontario; Nanaimo, BC; and

Fort Saskatchewan, AB

England: Base 50cm coverage of nearly entire country,

Germany: Cities/Regions of Greifswald, Trier, Köln, Stuttgart, Bonn,

Oldenburg, Rostock, Saarbrücken, Hamburg, Hannover, and Ritterhude

Austria: Villach region

France: Cities of Caen, Dijon, Metz, St Etienne, Toulouse and Rouen

Spain: Catalonia and Valencia

Andorra

US: Imperial County (CA); Yellowstone National Park (WY);

Galveston/Houston (TX); Peterborough (NH); Cheyenne (WY); Burke, Wake,

and Cabarrus Counties (NC); Racine and Kenosha Counties (WI);

Washington, DC; St Paul (MN); and the State of Alabama

Japan: City/Regions of Kochi, Asahikawa, Koriyama, Miyazaki, Nagano,

Utsunomiya, Akita, and Toyama

Large Digital Globe (60cm) update includes areas in Sudan, expanded

Africa, Australia, Mexico coverage and smaller areas of coverage in

Asia, Polynesia, South America, Canada, Europe, Middle East plus some

interesting islands in Antarctica and Greenland.

Updated Imagery:

Americas: Bogotá, Columbia; Mission Viejo (CA, US); Hillsborough County (FL, US)

EU: Dublin, Ireland

Middle East/Africa: Beirut, Lebanon and Tripoli, Libya

Asia: Hong Kong and Manila, Philippines

Updated Terrain:

Western US 10m, Canary Islands 10m

My guess is the winter of 02/03

I'll second that - they haven't put the roof on the Met Office yet, but my Portacabin office is in place, - which narrows it to November / December 02. Plus, there aren't millions of student cars parked in my road - which narrows it down even further to Christmas break 2002.

Boooo!! The Google notice says that England is now at high res. I thought (and hoped!) this was just a usual Amercanism... England, UK, Britain. Whatever.... But no! England hi-res, Wales still all blobby and green! (No sarky responses there peeps!)

Maybe the Welsh Assembly have got a special Google Earth update happening soon! :rolleyes:

Boooo!! The Google notice says that England is now at high res. I thought (and hoped!) this was just a usual Amercanism... England, UK, Britain. Whatever.... But no! England hi-res, Wales still all blobby and green! (No sarky responses there peeps!)

Maybe the Welsh Assembly have got a special Google Earth update happening soon! :anitongue:

Living 7 miles from the border (on the English side) I had look at my local area. Sure enough, on the English side there's lots of detail but scan across and as soon as you get into Wales the detail disappears :anitongue:. Try searching for Kington, which is just on the English side and scan westwards.

My guess is the winter of 02/03

Not in my area! The hydrangea in the back garden is in full bloom and all the trees are covered in leaves...must have been one summer but I can't see any other specific clues. :anitongue:

Edited by KathyXB

Maybe the Welsh Assembly have got a special Google Earth update happening soon! :anitongue:

Living 7 miles from the border (on the English side) I had look at my local area. Sure enough, on the English side there's lots of detail but scan across and as soon as you get into Wales the detail disappears :anitongue:. Try searching for Kington, which is just on the English side and scan westwards.

Wow, I hadn't thought about it that way, but looking at the border, the image quality does follow it in a blocky fashion!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?t=h&om=1....11673&z=13

What's so special about the area centred on approx N51 42.460 W000 57.500? :anitongue:
I believe it was last seen in orbit of Jupiter back in 2001 :anitongue:

According to Memorymap there is nothing of interest there.

Here's the same spot in flashearth

It was Io, actually. For those in the dark about Big Brother (the 1x4x9 version, not the Channel 4 thing) he can be found here. Edited by Simply Paul

Maybe the Welsh Assembly have got a special Google Earth update happening soon! :blink:

Living 7 miles from the border (on the English side) I had look at my local area. Sure enough, on the English side there's lots of detail but scan across and as soon as you get into Wales the detail disappears :). Try searching for Kington, which is just on the English side and scan westwards.

Try Here and type in Kington.....crystal clear!!

Maybe the Welsh Assembly have got a special Google Earth update happening soon! :blink:

Same as above....type in Colwyn Bay.....crystal clear!!

Maybe the Welsh Assembly have got a special Google Earth update happening soon! :D

Living 7 miles from the border (on the English side) I had look at my local area. Sure enough, on the English side there's lots of detail but scan across and as soon as you get into Wales the detail disappears :ph34r:. Try searching for Kington, which is just on the English side and scan westwards.

Wales seems very hit and miss. Abergavenny and Swansea, for instance, look great, but most of Wales is represented very poorly.

The village where I live (Newland, Glos.) is on a join and suffers badly from ghosting where the images don't meet up.

Another update for the UK:

High resolution images now for: Exeter, Brighton, Crawley, Essex, Colchester, Chelmsford, Swindon, Cheltenham, Ipswich, Norwich, Peterborough, Leicester, Chesterfield

And updated imagery for: Plymouth, Torquay, Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth, Gillingham, Southend, Basildon, Berkshire, Reading, Milton Keynes, Newport, Cardiff, Swansea, Cambridge, Norfolk, Derby, Halifax, Leeds, Darlington, Dundee, Belfast

Source - Google LatLong Blog

i keep checking on a house im buying...just to think about what i can do with the garden, and that area seems to have lost definition, but my dads place down the road shows 2 of my cars parked up....off road...dead....boo hoo. one my trusty lada niva pig and the other my trusty pug 205 interceptor...although neither turned out to be too trusty as they both blew up

You think that's bad? Try finding the large circular feature to the north west on either 1:50k or 1:25k OS maps. It doesn't exist, apparently. Looks a great spot though! Local cacher hiders, are you listening? :huh::lol:

What is that? Best I can find on t'internet is that it's some kind of man-made nesting ground (amongst suggestions that it's a crashed UFO and a giant doughnut). If it was 'just' a nesting ground, though, wouldn't you expect it to be on the maps? :huh:

You think that's bad? Try finding the large circular feature to the north west on either 1:50k or 1:25k OS maps. It doesn't exist, apparently. Looks a great spot though! Local cacher hiders, are you listening? :lol::huh:

What is that? Best I can find on t'internet is that it's some kind of man-made nesting ground (amongst suggestions that it's a crashed UFO and a giant doughnut). If it was 'just' a nesting ground, though, wouldn't you expect it to be on the maps? :huh:

It was an experiment called "Trial Bank" to see if it was viable to build a dam across the Wash thereby creating a HUGE reservoir of (eventually) fresh water. Turned out the project wasn't viable!

I'll try and find out the info I had and re-post it :o

"1972: a feasibility study commissioned by the Government to build a barrage across half of The Wash to capture the freshwater from the four main rivers, to improve navigation through sea locks, to provide recreational facilities and an area of land for a power station, etc. was undertaken. This led to the circular trial bank/bund being built to the east of Sutton Bridge and the Nene. The purpose of which was to act as reservoirs but the report concluded it would be too costly."

Piccy....

Dscn2118.jpg

Edited by Nediam