Lost without Spanish Moss

I'm a relatively new cacher in Florida, and already I've noticed a trend. Nearly every cache is concealed in some way by Spanish Moss. A cache on the ground is almost always covered with a clump of the stuff. Hanging micros are draped with it. If I'm in the right vicinity and can't locate the cache, I start poking at the larger moss-bunches. It's like, the perfect cache-camoflage. It's lightweight, it doesn't get soggy when it's wet, and (at least down here....) it's everywhere!!! :)

Just curious....if you're not from the Southeastern US, what do you use?

URP (Unnatural Pile of Rocks) That is pretty typical everywhere. Around the cliffs here, we may use what is sometimes termed NRP (Natural Pile of Rocks). In this case, look for a small opening under one of the car to house sized boulders. It might be hidden there, in conjunction with an URP. If all else fails, start checking the smaller rocks. It may be the cache container itself!

I live in northern NJ. When the last glacier covered North America it ended right about where I live. It very conveniently brought all kinds of rocks and boulders with it as it moved southward and when it retreated it was nice enough to leave most of them right here in NJ.

So we use rocks, boulders and crevices.

It's pretty easy to hide a cache when you have spots like this:

4799e455-0bb2-437e-b2f0-f653669150cf.jpg

and:

0220e65e-a955-4c26-888d-cb89ea885ef8.jpg

and:

a3bf3fdf-7390-4266-b38b-c4ebd9d63b8b.jpg

and:

2ae5b4a1-3458-49ba-a83a-b86c2c007927.jpg

and:

017c05e3-1f0d-4104-b25f-3743ec205ca4.jpg

Edited by briansnat

In addition to the sticks, rocks, stumps, logs, and leaves already mentioned, we also use slabs of bark. Here in Maine, we have plenty of pines, and when they die, they conveniently slough off nice big bark slabs. They typically stay in place and behave themselves better than sticks, which like to show their independence by rolling around and acting shifty. B)

This old timer is still holding on to his bark, hopefully for many years to come!

d6a1ec87-4083-440c-8877-501c8c8666e7.jpg

Up here in New England,rocks,stones and boulders!I live in slate country,and we've got endless mountains of waste slate here-

stick_2.jpg

Here's where I got the image from if you want to check it out more-

http://www.slatevalleymuseum.org/

The big piles can be dangerous to be on.I can't say how many times I've been standing on the river fishing and heard big rumbles of sliding slate.There are smaller and safer piles to hide in and trust me we make use of em'.They can be down right nasty for hiding caches,cause there's so many nooks and pockets in the pile.