SORRY FOR everything that i make ( it screw up )

deafnut

I am living in alaska and i want to say i just move alaska three year ago i been rasie in oklhoma and have one step motther. my born mother ????i don"t know where she gon ? anyway i just foudn out two yeear ago and want to buy gps and my family think it dork ... but in facct i have few church member doing this and make plan to JOIN IT. I KOnW I SHOULD NOT ASK ABOUT FREE COIN OR BRAG ABOUT IT . but please forgive my talk aand i wil shhut up and try to join "nice talk but i am veeery very sorry for out ccommity pleease don"t label me as idoit .. i am too trill to talk like that but if you haave any qution and two yeara ago i was live in texas and now i live in alaska so please feel free to speak and support what i have type ... :blink::ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by deafhunt
I am living in alaska and i want to say i just move alaska three year ago i been rasie in oklhoma and have one step motther. my born mother ????i don"t know where she gon ? anyway i just foudn out two yeear ago and want to buy gps and my family think it dork ... but in facct i have few church member doing this and make plan to JOIN IT. I KOnW I SHOULD NOT ASK ABOUT FREE COIN OR BRAG ABOUT IT . but please forgive my talk aand i wil shhut up and try to join "nice talk but i am veeery very sorry for out ccommity pleease don"t label me as idoit .. i am too trill to talk like that but if you haave any qution and two yeara ago i was live in texas and now i live in alaska so please feel free to speak and support what i have type ... :blink::ph34r::ph34r:

well ?

Deafhunt

Send me your address through my "big rick" profile on Geocaching.com and I will send you a coin.

Big Rick

PS This is for deafhunt only

...well ?

Well what? What do you want? I didn't follow the drama that caused this post and having read one thread about discovering caching and how that went I still don't know what you want.

You want advice? Stick to geocaching. It's fun and enjoyable.

More advice? If you are going to participate in a forum you should work on either a different laptop, get it fixed, or fix your written english skills so folks can better understand you. You type with a slur. Ironicly I could not do ASL well due to my lack of dexterity wiht my right hand. I can't make a lot of the shapes. My kids think it's funny if I try. I don't think it's so funny. But either way it's reality.

You want your appology accepted? I don't see that you needed appologize to begin with.

I'll leave you wiht this. This is a good community with a few people who are not gifted in being nice. Stick with it and you will be accepted. Don't expect anything to happen in a day.

(Edit - Typo's left in, They happen.)

Edited by Renegade Knight

When you create a new topic, give the readers some time to read the topic, make up their minds and post their opinions. 10 or 20 minutes isn't a timeframe where you will recive dozens of answers. Just be patient and maybe come back 1 hour after you have created your new topic.

I haven't been posting in the forums lately due to a Loss I don't care to talk about. However, I have been watching the threads here and there....

In my opinion, you need to stop worrying about what everyone thinks. Geocaching is meant to be FUN! I hope you find it as wonderful as I do. I geocached for a year before I ever found a Geocoin. That same weekend I went to a yearly event in the Bend Oregon area. There I met the wonderful cacher: Night Hawk. He gave me my first Geocoin! I was hooked for that moment on. (Now my husband wants to meet him to thank him in person for my obsession. That's NEVER going to happen!).

I hope everything works out for you and the others in the community of the geocoin forums. Be patient...... you can enjoy the forums too and most of all, enjoy Geocaching. If I'm ever in Alaska, I will look you up and we can cache. Hope this helps ~CCL

Edited by crazycavelover

Deafhunt

Send me your address through my "big rick" profile on Geocaching.com and I will send you a coin.

Big Rick

Man, I should have been as savvy as this kid was when I started...I'd have had one heck of a coin collection by now...

BTW...as if this saga couldn't be any more sad, now new chapeters are added.

I am living in alaska and i want to say i just move alaska three year ago i been rasie in oklhoma and have one step motther. my born mother ????i don"t know where she gon ? anyway i just foudn out two yeear ago and want to buy gps and my family think it dork ... but in facct i have few church member doing this and make plan to JOIN IT. I KOnW I SHOULD NOT ASK ABOUT FREE COIN OR BRAG ABOUT IT . but please forgive my talk aand i wil shhut up and try to join "nice talk but i am veeery very sorry for out ccommity pleease don"t label me as idoit .. i am too trill to talk like that but if you haave any qution and two yeara ago i was live in texas and now i live in alaska so please feel free to speak and support what i have type ... :ph34r::blink::ph34r:

Deafhunt

hey don"t add make me feel sad i am learn and gusse waht i amybe go to three geocache this afteroon

Big Rick

Man, I should have been as savvy as this kid was when I started...I'd have had one heck of a coin collection by now...

BTW...as if this saga couldn't be any more sad, now new chapeters are added.

I am living in alaska and i want to say i just move alaska three year ago i been rasie in oklhoma and have one step motther. my born mother ????i don"t know where she gon ? anyway i just foudn out two yeear ago and want to buy gps and my family think it dork ... but in facct i have few church member doing this and make plan to JOIN IT. I KOnW I SHOULD NOT ASK ABOUT FREE COIN OR BRAG ABOUT IT . but please forgive my talk aand i wil shhut up and try to join "nice talk but i am veeery very sorry for out ccommity pleease don"t label me as idoit .. i am too trill to talk like that but if you haave any qution and two yeara ago i was live in texas and now i live in alaska so please feel free to speak and support what i have type ... :ph34r::blink::ph34r:

Deafhunt

Big Rick

If its for Deafhunt only why didn't you just PM him through his profile? Curious.

I never thought so many people would argue over something that doesn't really affect them or matter all that much...

Go out and cache, people!

Here's a quote from an old thread I thought was fitting at the time, and still is.

My own quote used against me...I am duly chastised.

Welcome to geocaching. We are in Georgetown, TX, just up the road from Austin, and SE of Copperas Cove. I watched the video, but unfortunately can't remember much at all from the Manual Communications class I took in college (1982?). Also, we learned primarily SEE II, rather than ASL. We also have a friend with a daughter (3rd grade) who has been profoundly deaf since birth. I also have a nephew that is hearing impaired, but both speaks and signs. Schooling has not been easy for him, though.

I hope you have a good deaf community in Alaska. If you ever get back down to Texas, I know that College Station has a fairly active community. My daughter went to some of their deaf socials. (No, she is not deaf, just interested in becoming an interpreter.)

Welcome to geocaching. We are in Georgetown, TX, just up the road from Austin, and SE of Copperas Cove. I watched the video, but unfortunately can't remember much at all from the Manual Communications class I took in college (1982?). Also, we learned primarily SEE II, rather than ASL. We also have a friend with a daughter (3rd grade) who has been profoundly deaf since birth. I also have a nephew that is hearing impaired, but both speaks and signs. Schooling has not been easy for him, though.

I hope you have a good deaf community in Alaska. If you ever get back down to Texas, I know that College Station has a fairly active community. My daughter went to some of their deaf socials. (No, she is not deaf, just interested in becoming an interpreter.)

Keep up what you think it right and have a rightful path to you.

Deafhunt: might I suggest that you just read some forums and get some information on geocaching. The Getting started thread might be a good place to begin.

What GPSr do you use?

it old gps andm it good to use it sportRak Pro

If it gets you to the cache and back its good enough. If you have any questions (except about coins) feel free to ask away. I am pretty new myself but will do what I can to help you get the answer.

The SporTrak is a fine GPS. Mine has over 1000 finds on it and is still going strong.

I have an Explorist 210 and I have used it to find one cache, OK maybe two.

I was really mad at Garmin over an experience I had with the Canadian repair partner, I think I have one of the most expensive GPSMap 60C's ever built. I purchased an Etrex Legend as a backup unit after the On/Off switch broke on my Map 60. After dealing with some electronics store in Montreal I ended up getting quite mad at Garmin over the repair and in a fit of pique I returned the Etrex Legend and purchased an Explorist 210 to use as my back-up unit.

I can't tell you how sorry I am that I did that. :ph34r:

I had intended to stay mad at Garmin forever.

After purchasing MapSend Topo Canada and the Explorist 210 and figuring out how to use them I really couldn't stay mad at Garmin anymore, I would never tell a newcomer to purchase a Magellan. :blink:

The protection that Magellan puts on the MapSend CD makes it the most useless piece of software that I own. I have to take the CD and leave it in the laptop CD player to make it useful for traveling and the CD player then spins up every time my laptop comes back to life, this is so annoying I just don't do it. I use my GPS for work as well as geocaching so I have to load and unload maps and waypoints all the time.

In the great Magellan/Garmin debate I hate to say that I am on the Garmin side forevermore.

On a brighter note one of our local parks has received a substantial amount of money to purchase a bunch of GPS units to loan out to park visitors so they can go geocaching, how cool is that? They already loan out snowshoes so it isn't as strange as it sounds. Hopefully the park staff uses the money to buy Garmin units.

I hate to say this especially being a total newbie to the boards. But I just got to say it anyway, you know how us Texans are. But I think this is a bogus poster, ie Troll. Being Deaf has absolutely nothing to do with your spelling errors that seem intentional, nothing at all. It's as of the poster is mixing up pronunciation with spelling. A deaf person has no handicapped when it comes to spelling or typing for that. Also the stressing the of being deaf and hunting caches is something most if not all deaf people would not make an issue of. Being Deaf would never impair or prevent a person from this sport at all. I think this is a sad act and one that is beyond me. Sorry if I offended someone that was not my intention. Buck

Edited by Buckazznkdntx

Just to correct your perception, trolls are people who stir the pot, like posting about deleting logs of people who post TFTC.

Trolls usually use sock puppet accounts but not all sock puppet accounts are trolls.

More importantly non-English speaking people normally do not use the spoken English grammar rules, including the deaf.

Believe it or not English is backwards compared to most languages.

Some put the punctuation first. Like a question mark at the beginning of the sentence. Or put the noun before the adjective. State what it is then describe it. We say a yellow dog, where others say a dog (that is) yellow. And honestly it makes more sense that way. At least to me.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I hate to say this especially being a total newbie to the boards. But I just got to say it anyway, you know how us Texans are. But I think this is a bogus poster, ie Troll. Being Deaf has absolutely nothing to do with your spelling errors that seem intentional, nothing at all. It's as of the poster is mixing up pronunciation with spelling. A deaf person has no handicapped when it comes to spelling or typing for that. Also the stressing the of being deaf and hunting caches is something most if not all deaf people would not make an issue of. Being Deaf would never impair or prevent a person from this sport at all. I think this is a sad act and one that is beyond me. Sorry if I offended someone that was not my intention. Buck

This particular subject was beaten to death in a different thread and you are wrong. You seem to know alot about how deaf people are supposed to act, you how did you arrive at this conclusion? Your daily interaction with people who are deaf, your knowledge of American Sign Language. Perhaps you could loan me your copy of Disbilities for Dummies, I can't find a it on Amazon.com.

I have very limited knowledge of ASL, when people sign they don't spell most of the words, there is alot of symbolism involved so speaking in ASL is very different from speaking and writing in English. Something I learned very quickly a few years ago at a conference I managed, 20 attendees were deaf and often had to communicate complex conversations through an interpreter. An interpreter indicated that I was the person in charge with one sign, one of two I still know.

There are no set rules for how a person with a disability is supposed to act, some of them are very proud of doing things that would seem perfectly normal to the rest of us. Being deaf can and does impair people from participating in this sport; can't find a cache you won't be able to phone another cacher while in the woods. Going to an event cache, you have to sit so you can see peoples faces to lipread and you may need to bring an interpreter, which costs money, for other conversations.

The only thing sad here is the mispreceptions that people have about living with a disability and how people with a disability are supposed to behave.

Edited by magellan315

I hate to say this especially being a total newbie...

I have no trouble saying...you are wrong.

My advice would be simple, if you are inclined to start a message with "I hate to say this" then perhaps you should reconsider what you are about to say. :blink:

FWIW I accept deafhunt's apology (see the title of this thread) and I do think he will be successful. I thought he got off to a bad start in these forums and I think he has learned a valuable lesson.

I am certain no one in this community will hold a newbies mistakes against them.

Then I stand corrected if my perception is wrong, my apologies.

I don't know....I kinda share the same perception. Something isn't quite right. The broken english is understandable, but the gross spelling errors are a little questionable when you compare his posts here to his profile and his one and only log which was made 2 days ago with no spelling errors. He's a Pemimum Member and has been a member for almost a year, yet his only log was the day before this thread??

Sorry...but I'm not buying this, nor am I hunting for free coins to send him.

El Diablo

I don't know....I kinda share the same perception. Something isn't quite right. The broken english is understandable, but the gross spelling errors are a little questionable when you compare his posts here to his profile and his one and only log which was made 2 days ago with no spelling errors. He's a Pemimum Member and has been a member for almost a year, yet his only log was the day before this thread??

El Diablo

I'll ask it it again, this is based on your extensive knowledge of deaf culture, your daily interaction with people who are deaf, and your ability to use ASL? If you would like to see deafhunter view this

Like to talk to him over the phone:
Guy If you don't belive me please call 1866 fast vrs then call my number 907-677-7085 .... if you call the relay then call me you don't have to pay !!!

Still want verification, got to this event, that he will be at, or ask this Geocacher who has logged this coin. No one is requiring you to send him any Geocoins and if don't want to, don't do it.

So what if it took him a year to make his first find, for all we know his budget is tight and it took a year to be able to buy a GPS. Anyone else remember what it was like to be 20 and how little money you had. Not everyone posts in the forums, I have seen more than my share of recent posts from people who belonged to GC.com for more than a year and have under 100 posts. Since when does the number of posts determine who is a Geocacher.

Edited by magellan315

El Diablo

I'll ask it it again, this is based on your extensive knowledge of deaf culture, your daily interaction with people who are deaf, and your ability to use ASL? If you would like to see deafhunter view this

Like to talk to him over the phone:
Guy If you don't belive me please call 1866 fast vrs then call my number 907-677-7085 .... if you call the relay then call me you don't have to pay !!!

Still want verification, got to this event, that he will be at, or ask this Geocacher who has logged this coin. No one is requiring you to send him any Geocoins and if don't want to, don't do it.

So what if it took him a year to make his first find, for all we know his budget is tight and it took a year to be able to buy a GPS. Anyone else remember what it was like to be 20 and how little money you had. Not everyone posts in the forums, I have seen more than my share of recent posts from people who belonged to GC.com for more than a year and have under 100 posts. Since when does the number of posts determine who is a Geocacher.

Look, no one is required to beleive anything they don't want to. People are allowed to have their own opinions.

Pardon me for saying so, but you acting like kind of a jerk right now. You are assuming way too much of people...step back and breathe, buddy.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian
Pardon me for saying so, but you are being kind a jerk right now. You are assuming way too much of people...step back and breathe, buddy.

In a different thread you made a lot of assumptions about Deafhunter that you have subsequently backed down from, it seems others have not. They are not questioning someones philosophy regarding Geocaching, this is about someone with a real disability who has been challenged by repeatedly by Geocachers that he even has a disability. There has been more than enough proof that he is deaf, does he have to show a letter from doctor or the testimony of some who attends the upcoming event cache in Alaska for people to accept this for a fact .

In six years on these forums I have not seen anyone repeatedly attacked in this manner, questioning that they have a disability. By people who seem to have little if any contact with anyone with a disability and seem to be laboring under some vauge concept about how someone who is deaf is supposed to act, type, ect. Or his interest in Geocaching based on the number of posts and finds. Since Rothsafari sent him a Lackey Geoacoin due to his You Tube video that speaks very clearly to me, I have no doubt these coins are handed out very carefully.

The only jerks here are the people who insist that this Geocacher is not really deaf so he can engage in some sort of scam.

Edited by magellan315
In a different thread you made a lot of assumptions about Deafhunter that you have subsequently backed down from, it seems others have not. They are not questioning someones philosophy regarding Geocaching, this is about someone with a real disability who has been challenged by repeatedly by Geocachers that he even has a disability. There has been more than enough proof that he is deaf, does he have to show a letter from doctor or the testimony of some who attends the upcoming event cache in Alaska for people to accept this for a fact .

In six years on these forums I have not seen anyone repeatedly attacked in this manner, questioning that they have a disability. By people who seem to have little if any contact with anyone with a disability and seem to be laboring under some vauge concept about how someone who is deaf is supposed to act, type, ect. Or his interest in Geocaching based on the number of posts and finds. Since Rothsafari sent him a Lackey Geoacoin due to his You Tube video that speaks very clearly to me, I have no doubt these coins are handed out very carefully.

The only jerks here are the people who insist that this Geocacher is not really deaf so he can engage in some sort of scam.

What I am trying to say is, no amount of chest-thumping on your part is going to change opinions.

This is not a matter of opinion, its a fact. He's deaf and there has been more than sufficient proof. The fact that anyone would continue to suggest otherwise is insulting and prejudical.

You should take a deep breath, reread your post on a different thread about this matter and let it go.

After careful self-reflection and coming to the realization that I have been a royal horse's hiney...I offer my apologies to deafhunt. Sometimes I get too impassioned and stubborn for my own good in regards to changing my own opinions. My actions were totally uncalled for and I am sorry.
Edited by magellan315
This is not a matter of opinion, its a fact. He's deaf and there has been more than sufficient proof. The fact that anyone would continue to suggest otherwise is insulting and prejudical.

You should take a deep breath, reread your post on a different thread about this matter and let it go.

No offense, but I am not the one going back and forth chiding people for what they beleive as if it's their own personal crusade.

I made the realization that this kid is legit, but it is not my place...nor yours...to lambast those who have doubts.

Then whose place is it? Instead I should allow people to make demeaming statements without any disagreement. Thats how biases about people based on race, religion, gender, and yes disablity occur.

There has been ample proof in this matter, not opinion, and for anyone to parade their opinion as fact without redress is unacceptable for me. Maybe you can live with letting things like this happen without consequence, I won't.

He's a Pemimum Member and has been a member for almost a year, yet his only log was the day before this thread??

El Diablo

As a recognized pillar of this community there are many geocachers who will follow your lead. I am not sure what steps you taken to confirm that this is a NO SALE?

deafhunt started this thread to apologize to the community for his inauspicious start, not to ask El Diablo for a geocoin.

I am not sure what your motive is in trashing his apology, perhaps you can explain why you think it is neccessary?

What is a Pemimum member?

El Diablo

If you were to read all the posts in the three threads he started you would have found out why he has broken English.

It is because he is deaf and English is not his native language but ASL (American Sign Language) is his native language. It may be based on English but the grammar is very different. It can be compared somewhat to shorthand. Many small unnecessary words are dropped, spelling may be different, sentence structure is different, etc.

My sister did interpretation for deaf or hearing impaired kids in public schools so I do know a little about these things. I wish I had learned how to sign better when we lived closer.

His first log was not the day before this thread. It was his first find. I know of at least one DNF he did back in December of 2006 and he did log it as a DNF.

I do appreciate that Arthur & Trillian realized that the kid was legit and posted an apology.

I see that another came and made one post bashing him for his spelling and grammar and hasn't been back to comment further (this was in one of the other threads). I've seen this same poster come down hard on a 14 yr. old kid in the forums for this before.

I also appreciate Buckazznkdntx making an apology also.

I made a mistake once and supported someone who turned out to be a jerk and wished I hadn't, but I don't think I am wrong this time.

edit for spelling

Edited by ironman114

Lets just quit talking about Deafhunt and move on. Yes Deafhunt did get off on the wrong foot by asking for coins before he even made a find or a log. I think he has humbly seen the error of this (READ THE TOPIC NAME) and has since TRIED to apoligized and has appeared to make some honest effort to improve his knowledge of geocaching in general. Lets accept this in good faith with the understanding that there isn't one of us in the forums who can make a claim to never making a major public blunder so lets TRY and be a bit more gentle and civil by giving Deafhunt a chance to prove himself to the community. Lets quit beating on Deafhunt now and just watch his progress and maybe offer productive advice, give guidance, or point him in the right direction to help him adjust to the forums and geocaching. There enough hate and discontent in the world already, lets not have it here too. Geocaching is just one way to escape from all the BS in the world as far as I am concerned lets not spoil this. Imagine how all this looks to a new guy/gal coming into the sport. Relax and go find a geocache, better still go hide one for others to find. If you can't say anything productive don't say anything at all. Please enough is enough. BTW I was also a skeptic but am willing to give the poor guy the opportunity to join the community.

Peace

jAY miLLS

He's a Pemimum Member and has been a member for almost a year, yet his only log was the day before this thread??

El Diablo

As a recognized pillar of this community there are many geocachers who will follow your lead. I am not sure what steps you taken to confirm that this is a NO SALE?

deafhunt started this thread to apologize to the community for his inauspicious start, not to ask El Diablo for a geocoin.

I am not sure what your motive is in trashing his apology, perhaps you can explain why you think it is neccessary?

What is a Pemimum member?

I didn't trash him. I said something didn't seem right and I wasn't buying it. To me that statement conveys doubt, not trashing. I made that statement based on his spelling in his profile and in his first logged cache. They differ greatly from his posts here. To me, this coupled with his asking for free coins leads me to questions.

I also doubt very seriously that my opinions or statements will influence anyone. Most people will believe what they want, regardless of what you or I have to say about the subject.

El Diablo