da Vinci Coins - On Sale Now

Redwing_dave

Still trying to make up my mind whether to do 1 icon for each coin (3 total), or 1 icon for the whole set (but all 3 coins would be trackable. As of right now, the estimated price on these coins would be just under $25 per set of 3. This is based on each coin being 1.75" wide. A separate icon for each would add about $1 per set. Anyone else have an opinion on 1 vs. 3 icons?

Another sneak peak is on its way soon. (note prices subject to change. as soon as I get things finalized with the icon, I'll post more details on the price.)

Hey Dave,

Not to be picky, but additional icons are $150 each or $300. Spread that over the 1000 or so coins you indicated you were going to make is $.30 more per coin.

In any case I think one icon for the set is good. That is the way you are selling them so why not one icon show you have the set.

An incorrect statement of copyright law. Copyright is automatic and is assigned to the creator of the work. Copyright can be transferred, but that does not impact the length of copyright time. Copyright period is for a limited time as defined in Section 8 of the US constitution "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries." The length of the limit is up to Congress - and has been stated in a previous post as 70 years past the death of the creator.

To paraprhase a lawer who regularly contributes to a photography forum that I frequent - If you want legal advice, seek it from a professional - not in a web forum. Alternately, (though probably not as "safe") get the facts for yourself from legal documents and case history[my 2¢, not a paraphrased quote].

This too is not entirely correct - remember, different copyright laws apply to different works, and different timelines. As an artist, Im all too familiar with copyrights - and how they protect me. But, from the standpoint of someone who may be risking a copyright infringement suit - its not worth trusting ANY snippet. As I said, play it safe and make the work your own.

There is not ONE single copyright paragraph that is correct in its entirety and applies to all artists or works. While the one above is correct, the one I posted is as well. And honestly - there aren't too many lawyers out there who are familiar with ALL facets of copyright law - so the sources for correct information are pretty much "Check the libraries yourself, and be sure you understand them!"

:unsure:

I appreciate all the concern over copyright here. I have discussed the issue with CinemaBoxers (thank you again) and a few others, and have decided I'd rather be safe than even risk a lawsuit that could cost me thousands of dollars, over a geocoin that I'm doing mostly out of desire to see my ideas engraved in metal, and to try to provide a quality geocoin for the coin collectors, puzzle lovers, and da Vinci fans out there (in other words, I won't be grossing enough on this project to even pick up the phone and talk to a defense lawyer :P ). I'll be the first to admit that a lawsuit would be quite unlikely given the scope of this project and other details, but I've made my decision already. Having said that, could I respectfully ask that we refrain from any further discussion of copyright law in this forum. I've made my decision on how to handle the image(s) to make them 'my own', and if anything, I think it improves the quality of the coin overall (not that I'm comparing myself to da Vinci by any means, but he wasn't designing a geocoin now was he?). If you have a burning desire to share copyright law with me, please feel free to PM me, email me, or contact the individual you would like to speak to outside of this thread. I'm just having a hard time getting my da Vinci Mojo (not that kind of mojo <_< ) working with all this legal stuff flying around. Thanks in advance.

Now onto the question at hand: Anyone else that is interested in this set of coins have an opinion on whether to have a seperate icon for each coin, or one icon for the set? (see my previous posts for more info)

Thanks everybody. Hope to hear from lots of you soon!

:(

Still trying to make up my mind whether to do 1 icon for each coin (3 total), or 1 icon for the whole set (but all 3 coins would be trackable. As of right now, the estimated price on these coins would be just under $25 per set of 3. This is based on each coin being 1.75" wide. A separate icon for each would add about $1 per set. Anyone else have an opinion on 1 vs. 3 icons?

Another sneak peak is on its way soon. (note prices subject to change. as soon as I get things finalized with the icon, I'll post more details on the price.)

Hey Dave,

Not to be picky, but additional icons are $150 each or $300. Spread that over the 1000 or so coins you indicated you were going to make is $.30 more per coin.

In any case I think one icon for the set is good. That is the way you are selling them so why not one icon show you have the set.

Thanks for your input on the number of icons Atwell group! <_<

You're right, it is only 30 cents per coin, but I was giving the cost per set. 3 coins x 30 cents = 90 cents. I rounded up a few cents since the pricing wasn't set in stone yet anyway.

Thanks again for your input.

-RD

Okay, not much traffic lately. Apparently everyone is busy in the more "Heated" forum threads. :rolleyes:

Just wanted to announce that based on the limited response I got here, I've decided to move ahead with a single icon for the set of coins, but each coin in the set will be trackable. Pending approval, the set will have a custom prefix of "dV" for "da Vinci" or "de Vinci" (both correct; you can choose what you want YOUR prefix to stand for).

I've got one of my best artists working on the icon as we speak. :unsure:

I'll post a pic of the icon as soon as I've got one.

Keep watching for the "da Vinci quiz" which will determine eligibility for the Limited edition coins. You'll hear about it here first.

Edited by Redwing_dave
Keep watching for the "da Vinci quiz" which will determine eligibility for the Limited edition coins. You'll hear about it here first.

Can't wait. This coin set is sounding better all the time! I'm definitely down for a set, and looking forward to the puzzle.

PS - I would have been willing to spend the extra buck on icons, but that's neither here nor there now. Keep me posted. The puzzle and coin artwork are what's really important.

Time for a sneak peak into Coin #3 in the set, the "Knights Templar Geocoin." The seal of the Knights Templar was used to press a molten wax image onto a letter or other document. The seal was equivalent to a signature or notary seal, demonstrating the veracity of the document carrying the seal. Although each Grandmaster's seal was slightly different, a common thread of all the seals was a picture of two knights riding on one horse. The full meaning of this image is subject to much interpretation and scrutiny, however most agree that at the very least, this was a symbol of the humble beginnings of the Templar Knights...they were too poor to own a horse for each knight, so they shared a mount. This certainly wasn't the case later in the history of the Knights Templar, as they were showered with valuable gifts by those who they protected. It is well established that the Knights became very wealthy indeed, and were probably great contributors to modern banking practices.

Here is a sample of a well aged Templar seal:

templar1.jpg

The front of coin 3 will bear a similar image, although to match with the rest of the set, and because making a coin look well aged, without making it look horrible is very difficult :anicute: , coin #3 will be a little more refined than the one pictured above.

Stay tuned for more details.

-RD

Please put me down on your list for two sets - got two daughters!

Much appreciated

LeonW :anicute:

Just FYI, this is not a preorder list, but if you follow this thread you should be the first to know when these go on sale.

-RD

Can you put me down for a set please.

Redwing_dave

I appreciate that these coins are not on pre-sale, I will watch this tread like a hawk.

These coins are really interesting and the history behind it sets it apart from other offerings, I don't want to miss out, and as being new to this addiction I have missed out on coins by hours. (Rose coin)

LeonW

Right now it looks like these will go on sale approximately April 12th or 13th, assuming no problems in the minting process. I'm trying to get the sale date to coincide with the Original Stash Coins I'm producing, so that those who want da Vinci and Stash coins can benefit from combined S/H costs.

Sometime this week I will likely post the "da Vinci Quiz." Correctly answering the Quiz will allow you to reserve a Limited Edition (antique silver) version of the coin. More details to follow, but keep watching if you're looking to get your hands on an LE coin set.

Currently the number of coins will be:

Antique Bronze (standard edition) = 299 sets

Antique Silver (limited edition) = 25 sets

Antique Copper (XLE) = 11 sets

Stay tuned. :o

(updated on 3/20 because I incorrectly posted the number of coins in each edition. Now it's correct)

Edited by Redwing_dave

Update on pricing:

Worked through the minting details, and all artwork is approved by Groundspeak. Hope to have an icon to show off soon.

Good news! I was able to pull this off for less than I thought I'd be able to. Each 3-coin set will cost $23 ($7.66 per coin) + S/H.

Stay tuned - the quiz (i.e. Mini-contest) is coming up soon.

These are very interesting, place me down for 3 sets regular, LE and if very lucky XLE B) , not sure if you are doing reservations other then this thread posting etc,

Will these be sequential numbered sets ?

No reservations yet. Previous posts address the time that these will go on sale.

Only the the Standard edition will be available for sale on the sale-date. The other versions will either need to be won or acquired by other means. Details of contests forthcoming......

This sounds like it is going to be a very nice set. It looks like you are taking the time to make a unique and interesting set.

When are you taking pre-orders?

If now, please put me on the list for the Ant. Silver set as a definite. Might also grab a bronze set.

I look forward to seeing how they turn out.

DezertMedic

Just realized I had missed the post. I see that you are not doing pre-orders. And Ill book mark the post so I can keep an eye out for the ordering.

Edited by DezertMedic

Just a note to the faithful followers of this thread. The mini-contest/mini-challenge/quiz/whatever I feel like calling it on a given day, will begin sometime in the next 24 hours (sometime between 9 AM and 8 PM Mountain Daylight Time, depending on how busy work is today-sorry for the wide range, work has been crazy lately, and for some reason they expect me to actually accomplish something :D ). This Mini-contest will determine who gets initial dibs on the first few Limited Edition Coin Sets (antique silver, 25 sets made total). The mini-contest will be started in a new thread, and items relating to the minting and sale of the "da Vinci Coins" will remain in this thread. The new thread will be entitled "Mini-Contest: da Vinci Coin Limited Edition Sets" or something very similar. For those who receive instant notifications for this thread, I will make a post here approximately 30 minutes before intitiating the "mini-contest" thread, as a heads-up.

Good Luck to you all! :cry:

(Remember, this is just a warm up. The real brain-racker will come when the full images of the coins are released, and we see who can solve the da Vinci Challenge. That's also when I start releasing the XLE coins :cry: )

For those of you not participating in the mini-contest, I just wanted to update you. I got pics of one of the three coin-proofs today. It turned out GREAT! You just get to see side ONE now, because I don't want to foil the mystery. Very simplistic, but exactly what I was aiming for.......

drum roll............

The Arago Medallion (marker of the Paris Meridian):

ARAGOProof1.jpg

Hope you like. I'll be posting more soon, although I think the rest I will wait to unveil all at once. :)

At one point I mentioned that I would be selling the da Vinci Coin set at the same time I sold the Original Stash Anniversary coins so people could save money on S/H. Unfortunately there was a problem with one of the dies for the da Vinci coin set, so it was delayed a couple weeks. In order to make sure that the Original Stash Anniversary coins make it out to the coin collectors of the world before the anniversary on May 3rd, I had to separate the two sales (the Stash coins go on sale tomorrow). More info on the Original Stash Coins is available HERE. Never fear however, the da Vinci coins are still on track to be spectacular, we just have to wait a couple more weeks to get our hands on them. :anitongue: I apologize for this inconvenience. I really hoped to be able to sell both at the same time, but things don't always work according to plan. Stay tuned for updates.

Update:

Sorry it's been awhile. I spent a week on the road for work, and have been battling a sinus infection. I finally had a chance to approve the proof of the Vitruvian Man coin today. :blink: The other two coins are already minted, and awaiting shipment to the U.S. We should have the coins in-hand in about 2 or 3 weeks, at which point the sale will begin, and the "da Vinci Challenge" will begin (I'm waiting to have all the coins in hand so that I can get good pics of them). Stay tuned.

Now I'm off to Goblin Valley for a few days, so if you have any questions, it may take me a bit to get back to you. Thanks for you patience.

I've seen all the proofs now, and let me be the first to say: THIS IS GOING TO BE GOOD!!!!

The wait is almost over! The da Vinci Coins will go on sale sometime during the week of 5/21 (exact date and time TBA). TheCachingPlace is putting up a website for me with the rules and details of the "da Vinci Challenge" (your way to get your hands on one of ten XLE antique copper da Vinci Coin sets by decrypting the coins). As soon as that website is up an running, I'll post the link, but I couldn't wait to post the coin proofs, so here they are:

FRONTS:

daVinci-fronts.jpg

Backs:

daVinci-backs.jpg

Ponder these for awhile, and stay tuned for the official start of the "da Vinci Challenge" and ordering information for the da Vinci Coins!

OOHH AHHH Have to pick up a set , hope I catch the sale :anitongue:

Did you nail down the final coin details ?

Details:

3 geocoins, sold as a set

Trackable on geocaching.com

335 of each coin

Some Limited Editions - accessible by solving all or part of the puzzle

1.5" or 1.75" waiting to see proof details vs. affordability

Unique prefix

At least 1 unique icon (possibly one for each coin). Waiting for pricing...I want to try to keep this affordable to the buyers

OOHH AHHH Have to pick up a set , hope I catch the sale :anitongue:

Did you nail down the final coin details ?

Details:

3 geocoins, sold as a set

Trackable on geocaching.com

335 of each coin

Some Limited Editions - accessible by solving all or part of the puzzle

1.5" or 1.75" waiting to see proof details vs. affordability

Unique prefix

At least 1 unique icon (possibly one for each coin). Waiting for pricing...I want to try to keep this affordable to the buyers

Details are nailed down as follows:

335 coin sets (10 XLE antique copper sets; 25 LE antique silver sets; the rest in antique bronze)

Coins will only be sold as a 3-coin set

All 3 coins are trackable on GC.com with a unique "dV" prefix and "da Vinci" icon (just one icon, not 3)

Diameter = 1.75"

Unless something changes in the next few days, price will be $23 +S/H per set (< $8 per coin)

LE and XLE coins will not be available in the initial sale. They have to be won, or otherwise acquired directly from me

I think that hits the major details. Let me know if there are anymore questions.

-RD :laughing:

Edited by Redwing_dave

Just a couple updates:

1-The "da Vinci Challenge" has begun. Information can be found HERE if you are interested in playing.

2-The "da Vinci Challenge Geocoins" will go on sale on Thursday, May 24th @ 9:00 AM Mountain Daylight Time. HERE is the link to the sale (try not to break thecachingplace's server come thursday morning :) ).