Favorite Geocoin?

tsunrisebey

This is really hard! 3???? Just 3???? I don't think I can do it! :D

1) Dorkfish-So cute & I have held a puffer fish in my hand!

2) Sand Dollar V2, I think it is version 2. It's the non-trackable. It looks so real!

3) Baby Loggerhead-What can I say? I'm a sucker for cute!

And then there is Nero, Fluttershy, Sydney Koala (shaped), the other Loggerheads, Dragonfly, Fishtank, Kayakerinme, Parrolet, scout knife (I wish I could get a pink one), nutlady, cachingcoins (oops), Boots were made for caching, suncatcher, the top 40 records, seahorse, Looney Penguine, Skirtlifter (shape), one cache, lizartoadz, pink ribbon, gas can, PEZ, sock puppet, all seasons ................................................................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Edited: I forgot: Bitten by Whitebear, Pug, Crakes coins, red handed, geocoin fairy......................I have forgotten something else :D

Edited by CachingCoins

Picking just three coins is impossible!

I love all my geocoins. But if I have to make a decision out of what coins I own.... This is how I would break it down.

Favorite Personal Design: Team Sand Dollar 2006 (Reminds me of walks on the beach)

Favorite Personal Cute coin: Dorkfish (Gotta love those eyes)

Favorite Personal Non-Round: Dorkfish Seahorse (My favorite little ocean creature)

Favorite Personal Colored Coin: Dressel Dragons (Love that glitter)

Favorite Personal Set: Ranger216 Train Set (Can just hear those train whisles blowing in the distance)

Favorite Non-Personal colored coin: Purple Lips (Did I say I LIKE glitter! And purple is my overall favorite color)

Favorite State coin: Washington of course! (Do I have to say more!)

Favorite Most Elegant coin: 2007 Compass Rose (Give me the feel of richness)

Favorite Event Coin: 2Bugs Puyallup Washington Apple (What Washington is know for)

Favorite Metal: Copper (Just love the feel and color)

I'm updating to todays choices.

I received my 1st Compass Rose today, I always wondered what the fuss was all about and I have to admit, even in the BN, it is a sharp coin.

GSA....can't get much cooler than that.

CAC 2007, it has a bucking bronco design and it's a big coin, what more can I say.

In a couple of weeks, I may change my mind again :(

Too many coins to narrow it down to three, but I will post these generalities...my favorites include ones that I have traded face-to-face for and the GCF and GSA coins. I guess it is not so much about the designs for me, but about the experience, and how I aquired the coins. I'll never forget my race down the road before a weekend get-away to snag the GCF coin in the rain, my waterlogged shoes squishing in the mud (any Heather giggling as she jumped in mud puddles) as we picked up the GSA coin, and all of the wonderful people that we met at the MWGB last summer when we first got our coin.

I just put in my first preorder for a GC and I'm emailing with a couple of other people in private about getting a couple more.

I can sense an obsession in the making ;)

I see that some of you have literally hundreds of them (how the heck do you afford them all) and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share what their favorite coin is, and why?

This is the coin I ordered... our family is a Christian (albeit very open minded) geocaching family, so this one just kind of made sense to us :mad:

guardian-coin-preview2xs.jpg

That coin looks very nice!!!

It is very hard to choose a favorite coin, I mean there are so many nice ones.

If we had to pick it would definately come from one of the personal coins that we have received from someone, and then there are the mystery coins!

Some of my personal favorites in our collection are:

IndyDiver

DLiming

LoriDarlin

BlueGillFisherman

1MarkyMark1

501 gang

Team Alamo

and of course ... The Shadow & The Geocoin Fairy Coin

Like I said ...

Way too hard to pick one

My least favorite coins are the commercial coins, though some of them are very nice!

Really like ... LizardToadz Decoder coins, the new Dragon decoder and, the Dragonfly coins!

A couple I really like but haven't had the chance to get yet are PoppaGoth and The Laptop coins!

:mad:;);)

Edited by CrossRoadNomads

My "Banned from the Forums" geocoin has a special place in my heart and in my collection.

It's so easy to see why...

no embelleshments, no wording, no tracking info, no colors... well pretty much no ANYTHING

nice classic design LOL

My "Banned from the Forums" geocoin has a special place in my heart and in my collection.

Hmmm... why do I get the distinct feeling there is a story behind that one, lol!

It's one of the few coins one gets because they deserve it.....and in my case three times.

This topic comes up about once every two months when a new group of coin addicts come in, so I'm merging this with the most recent thread that was started a few months ago. :unsure:

Going forward we'll do the same so that some historical favorites can be referenced in the threads as well.

Enjoy.

Yay - sensibility :)

Thanks Sketti.

Is there a way this thread could be auto bumped every month or so :)

The first lesson everyone needs to learn in the forums is how to use the search functionality, before starting a new thread on anything that may not be an original topic

I use the search often.

Edited by keewee

Ahhh, I have answered this one before, but as so many new coins are coming I feel the need to 'update' :)

Top 3 Favourite Personals:

* BRoKeN W :unsure:

* Rusty 'o Junk (still!)

* Fox and the Hound!

* BelKen (whoops - that's 4!)

* Team Chelmo (whoopsy - that's 5!!) :unsure:

Top 3 Favourite Country/State:

* Scotland 2006

* Isle of Man 2007

* Washington 2005

Top 3 Favourite Series:

* Ellandel!!! :)

* Loggerheads!

* DreamCatchers

* Compass Roses

* Scout Knives

* Ancient Cultures Series

* Funny Animals Series

(OK let's do away with the pretence) Favourite Glitter:

* Caching Bug

* Dark Side of the Cache

* Easter Egg

Favourite Other Coins:

* WorkerofWood

* Letterboxing :P

* Sunburst

whew!! I have to go to bed now.....or the list would have been longer :):)

Gonna swap out some coins now. I've collected quite a few more since I initially posted. I won't pick any of my own, because I love mine :o

My choices are based on aesthethic value only and in no particular order and from what I actually own;

*Pengo Family Sunset Version...I just love the use of rust and browns used on this coin

*The Caching Bug...I love Egyptian themes and this one uses lots of colors and different levels and symbols.

*Dragon Spinner Rot 13...I like the multi-level, spinning, use of metal and small gems. Great detail too.

tsun :)

My current top 3:

- 2007 Hong Kong Geocoin two-tone (love the design, the size, the gold/silver finish...)

- Suncatcher Geocoin warm (love the warm translucent colors)

- Double Dragon Geocoin two-tone (great dragons, gold/silver finish again...)

(only one of these 3 I actually own myself... still looking for the other 2)

I’ve maintained a list of favorites over at geocoincollection.com for a while now, and I figured it was time to expand on that. This thread seems to be a great opportunity to introduce my new "Top 21" list, and explain just what makes these coins so special in my eyes. What sets a coin apart from the rest is either a clever design, a good use of materials, or just a flat-out cool concept. Some of these entries also represent a sort of "history of geocoins" in that they were revolutionary, or generally influencial to future designs and trends.

In alphabetical order, my favorite geocoins are:

Allanon

The first use of two-tone that I’d seen. A simple, sharp, and very classy geocoin.

Anthus’ Laptops

The first hinged geocoin. Another step forward in geocoin design.

Cav Scout (v1)

Big fan of this type of interweaving/repeating artwork. Plus, I’ve admired the Ravenswood logo forever.

Compass Rose 2006

The first effective use of multiple translucents resulted in an attractive, and wildly popular geocoin.

Dancing Fool’s Crow

The granulated effect with recessed text is essentially reversed from what’s normally done with geocoins. Brilliant in its simplicity.

Delfts Blauw

An example of someone using art skills to create something unique.

Dragon Spinner

Another step forward in geocoins. Everyone loves a good dragon, but this one stands out.

GeoTikis

Another example of art skills being put to a unique use. Henrik has a real knack for molding fun and unique personalities.

GeoWoodstock III

One look at the front of this coin, and you get a strong sense of what geocaching is all about. Without a single word needed.

Goblindust

First coin I’d seen with relief this deep. Colorless, and classic antiqued geocoin.

Kealia/Hula Bum

Part of the allure is in the difficulty to obtain it. Plus, I have a thing for Ying-Yangs. ;)

kitkatt1960

Unique shapes achieved through zinc molding. Well, that and...I have it, and you don’t. ;)

Kootenay Pirates (v1)

Strong and vibrant colors set upon Black Nickel. One of the best examples of how to effectively use that finish.

Lemon Fresh Dog’s Geobone

This coin effectively broke the mold of standard shaped coins.

Moun10Bike (v1)

Only coin on this list that I don’t own. It’s relevance and status within the geocoin community goes without saying.

Shop99er (v1)

Gotta love the photo overlay of 99er’s shirt. A great example of what truly makes a personal geocoin.

Sweet Lake City Event Coin 2006

This coin is like an icon made physical. A simple, yet highly effective use of glow enamel. The antique version is incredible.

Rusty O Junk

Another great example of excellent 3D work. The burnt orange ring adds to the richness of the antique gold.

Tempting The Fates

Chris just understands "the clever". His intricacy and multi-leveling raised the bar of geocoin design.

Tuit

See the above explanation. Just when you think Chris has outdone himself, he does it again.

WorkerOfWood

The 3D hand holding a classic geocoin back...that detaches with a magnet. Led to further bells and whistles in future designs.

Caveat: This list is based purely on my opinion, and includes only coins that I own (except M10Bv1). If you don’t see your favorite listed or "reviewed", then maybe you should send me one! ;)

Yime

Edited by YemonYime

WorkerOfWood

The 3D hand holding a classic geocoin back...that detaches with a magnet. Led to further bells and whistles in future designs.

That's a great call Yime - he's a local here and that coin is clean, sharp, and flat out nifty.

Hey! What about my roadtrip coin! :grin:

I don't own much coins yet (but I am working on it :lol: ) and haven't seen much coins out in the wild (there are not much around here in my area), but at the moment my favorite coins are:

Mine (this is hard to choose, because I just buy coins which I think are beautiful or well-designed):

Geocacher's evolution Coin

Walpurgis Event Geocoin

King of Geocaching

Seen out in the wild:

Around the World in 80 Caches Geocoin (this one is really beautiful, it was really hard to give it away again...)

Steinwälzer

My all-time favorite geocoin would have to be my DARK SIDE OF THE CACHE geocoin that my daughter gave me for Fathers day a couple of years ago. At that time I didn't even know that a Pink Floyd styled geocoin existed and with me being a huge Pink Floyd fan you can just imagine the shock and surprise on my face when she gave it to me...

My second favorite geocoin would have to be my NAUGHTY LUMP OF COAL EARTH TURTLE geocoin that I won from Tsun (Thanks again Stephanie!)...

As for my third favorite geocoin.... My very special wire wrapped EYE OF THE TRIBAL FLOWER that DJ.J Rock gifted to me. That one has a very special meaning to me and will never leave my collection...

How in the world can you expect anyone to choose JUST 3 favorites? I can't do it....

But I find that, in my own collection, the 3 that I most often have sitting on display stands, here, are:

1) Crowesfeat30--Carpe' Cache'

2) Team Sand Dollar 2008 in satin silver

3) Lotus Compass--Set version

The list of ones I REALLY want but either can't afford, or can't find, yet, include:

1) Tranquility Coin in either the Red/Gold version or the "Dark" version

2) Tengwar coin (the 2.125" size) in Turquoise Green/Silver

3) The Wishing Coin

I'm sure Zwack's choices will be different than mine--and even my choices are subject to change from day to day :-).

Irish

Our favorite Geocoin is "Bear" a handmade coin by - tsunrisebey ! It was found in a cache placed by the Three Amigos and was part of a four cache series. The final cache was on top of a mountain and was the perfect spot for this coin. We spent two days tracking this down and are very proud to have found such a great cache and a great coin. This coin has been to many events and has been shown to a lot of people. We will have it on display at our geocoin event this fall. The work that went into this coin, the write up, packaging and the placing of the caches is what makes geocaching fun. We have also made a power point " Caching with Phill Gilliam" at the location this coin was found!