BECOMING A PREMIUM MEMBER.........

SNAKEBITER

Right then, it was mentioned in another topic that if anyone wanted to discuss premium membership they should start another thread. So here it is................

"Why should I become a premium member? What are the advantages of becoming one, and how do I go about it?"

Discuss.

(Should I get my tin hat and popcorn? Is it going to kick off? <_< )

You won't be watching it too long as it will get nasty and be closed down B)

Same old same old I am afraid <_<

But my opinion for what is is worth.........you pay if you want to and use the premier membership items or you don't pay if you don't need them/use them.

We have a very well known cacher who is not a member, but who has contributed hugely to geocaching :huh:

M :P

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

There are currently 77 members only caches in the UK.

Majority appear to be new so are probably just for the FTF

There are many ways to contribute to the sport paying membership is just one of these.

We pay just so we can go paperless caching.

Some people are too young to be paid up members.

Remember that Groundspeak are a business trying to make a profit.

Now for the rest of the thread

B):P<_<:huh:

I never even thought about the member only caches B) well if you are going to join for those I would definitely say no :huh:

We have done 600 and odd caches and of those 1 has been a members only and we didn't even know until we logged it.

The only reason we pay is to use PQ's to download caches to my palm <_<

M :P

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

I paid so I can use

PQs (bulk handling of search results)

GPX files

Both used for paperless caching and for the greater amount of detail available in a GPX file compared to a LOC file.

Bookmarks

Notifications

Caches along a route (new addition since becoming a member, but more than just a bit useful)

For the small amount of money it costs, (in comparision, say to the money we spend on other caching equipment - GPSrs, PDAs etc...) it's also a way of supporting the site and helping, in a small way, to keep it going.

Wonder what the ratio of members to premium members is ?

There are five major ways to contribute to this game.

a. Pay premium membership

b. Hide caches

c. Organise events

d. Launch TBs and coins

e. Write meaningful logs.

If all the people who currently organise events decided no to bother we would much be the poorer for it.

If all the people who currently hide caches gave up, the site would slowly die.

If all the premium members stopped paying, the site would close.

I am a premium member because I wish to ensure that the geocaching.com raft of services continues to develop. Its not expensive and I am delighted that the fee is sufficiently low to tempt persons such as I to make the 'notional' payment. With the current dollar / pound exchange rate, it is even better value and I may simply add to and extend my membership.

I make virtually no use of the additional services except for the occasional notifications and queries.

Of course the whole system needs to be under-pinned by good business sense, and some form of commercial outlook. So I have no problem with the extensions of 'geo-coin world' and other products. However I am equally delighted that newbies, youngsters and those with limited resources and income can use the geocaching.com services for free. In many ways geocaching.com is an excellent example of how the Internet based recreational systems can work for all. Keep it up chaps and chapesses!

Edited by kewfriend

I paid my membership almost immediately after my first cache. If it weren't for Groundspeak, we wouldn't have the website on which to search for caches - game over. End of.

I happen to use it for downloading GPX files, I use it for bookmarks and notifications. I also use PQ's to search for particular types of caches.

I don't however think that the way I use the website has much to do with whether I pay or not. Geocaching.com is the best resource for caching available, and so we should be prepared to pay for the priviledge. Given that there is a two tier system already with people who pay and those that don't (and my view is that everyone should pay), why don't we have a £5 a year fee for basic membership, and £20 a year for full membership.

These extra funds could be channelled towards making a more reliable site, having a team of people who negotiate with all major landowners in the UK like GAGB but paid for their time so that we get a definitive and comprehensive answer as to where we can and can't place caches and so on...

Let's face it, what other activity can you do, or club can you join that only costs you £15 a year after the initial capital outlay? I reckon that the capital outlay isn't that siginificant either, when you consider how long a GPSR will last you - much longer than a pair of football boots. Rank it alongside Golf, Horse Riding, Climbing, Gliding, Surfing, Sailing, Scuba Diving or even gym membership and it is the cheapest of the lot.

As for the prominent geocacher who doesn't pay to be a member, I must say that I think he has made a huge contribution to caching in the UK - perhaps he should be given free membership, which would be the same for him, but wouldn't set such an example.

I'm starting to rant so I'll stop.... to...... breathe..... and leave you all alone now!!

<_<

However I am equally delighted that newbies, youngsters and those with limited resources and income can use the geocaching.com services for free. In many ways geocaching.com is an excellent example of how the Internet based recreational systems can work for all. Keep it up chaps and chapesses!

Well said

M <_<

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

However I am equally delighted that newbies, youngsters and those with limited resources and income can use the geocaching.com services for free. In many ways geocaching.com is an excellent example of how the Internet based recreational systems can work for all. Keep it up chaps and chapesses!

Well said

M :D

Thats the way it should be.. Have to pay for too many things these days.. Give the man a lolly pop preferably a free on :D:laughing::D

That's quite a cross section of views. Thanks for the input.

The reason I was asking is that I am a full believer in putting something back into the sport you get something out of.

I understand that if people invest in the "buisness" tjen they should be able to get something out of it. It is all very nice thinking that none of this costs any money to run and partcipate in but sadly the world does not run like that.

You won't be watching it too long as it will get nasty and be closed down :wub:

Why would this happen?

Because that's what usually happens when we start to discuss paying premium members / non paying members.

Same as when we discuss any contentious issue - dogs, 4x4s, micros etc.

I'm suprised it's been so good natured so far and hasn't degenerated yet. Well done everybody!

I paid as I wanted to use the GPX facility and Pocket Queries facility.

Something I find very useful, but only good if ya do this paperless caching thang.

(However it would be good as a Premium member to be able to download multiple gpx files from a search rather than just loc files)

That's what Pocket Queries are for. :wub:

I have been a member since august 2000. I have not become a member as i dont see the point.

I dont have a PDA, i still print out my caches and use them in the field.

I never pay for something which i can use for free.

I agree, although you still can contribute to geocaching.com by setting caches, going to events etc, I completely agree with your statement, "why pay for somthing you don't use or can use for free?".

I am a premium member and use the PQ features to download to my phone/GSAK/Mmap.