Sticky Magnets?

Put the magnet inside after roughing up the plastic with wire wool or similar.

Let the araldite set solid (overnight?) before placing.

Snap :anitongue: I use this technique. The magnets can come adrift it the surface isn't rough enough for the glue to get hold but Bruce you've found several of these which have lasted years already.

Bruce, the Corporals 'Hotwells Reincarnated' (which I found today) works fine with the false bottom and the magnet underneath, did you glue that? If so what did you/he use and where did the plastic disk come from - it looked very professional.

Im actually going to modify my magnetic micros to the same, currently they are taped in without a problem, however age will affect the strength of the tape.

Bruce, the Corporals 'Hotwells Reincarnated' (which I found today) works fine with the false bottom and the magnet underneath, did you glue that? If so what did you/he use and where did the plastic disk come from - it looked very professional.

Im actually going to modify my magnetic micros to the same, currently they are taped in without a problem, however age will affect the strength of the tape.

All I did was put a magnet in the bottom with some bluetac to hold it in place then used a scalpel to cut the lid down off another film container and pushed it down over: all sealed in with no chance of it falling out and the inside of the cache is really neat.

I've just retried the breath strip containers but using some sandpaper to roughen the surface, will let you know how it goes.

i've tried most of the methods here (aruldite and no more nails, inside and out) and found I couldn;t get the magnet to stick (and yes, all roughed up as well...)

so my method is black duck tape holding the magnet to the side or base (depending on where i wan to place it...). All these are so far in good nick (aprt from some waterlogging, but thats another issue!)

HTH

Dave

Nothing sticks to polypropylene, because of its oiliness, but PVC aint too bad.

No glue which I've ever seen sticks to polyethylene either... but as purple_pineapple said, duct tape seems to do it OK.

Epoxy resin flooded around the magnet seems to work OK to keep a magnet in the bottom of the inside of a 35mm film canister.

Alternatively, use a steel cache container and stick it to a steel structure. That way, who cares if the magnet sticks to the structure or the container when you take it off to log? :D

I scrounged a load of old U/S computer hard disk drives and dismantled them. The have at least one and sometimes two very powerful magnets in them that are bonded to a nickel plated steel back-plate. The back plate usually has a couple of screw holes in (but can be drilled if it hasn't) and I've used a couple of small screws and nuts to secure them on the outside of the bottom of a 'lock and lock' type box. I also coated both mating surfaces with silicone sealant just to make sure water doesn't get in through the screw hole. This has proved to be very effective and has been in the field for some time now without problems.

I scrounged a load of old U/S computer hard disk drives and dismantled them. The have at least one and sometimes two very powerful magnets in them that are bonded to a nickel plated steel back-plate. The back plate usually has a couple of screw holes in (but can be drilled if it hasn't) and I've used a couple of small screws and nuts to secure them on the outside of the bottom of a 'lock and lock' type box. I also coated both mating surfaces with silicone sealant just to make sure water doesn't get in through the screw hole. This has proved to be very effective and has been in the field for some time now without problems.

I fantasised that John was about to tell us how he secured the magnet to his new micro!!! :P:D

I found a magnetic 35mm canister today which used no glue at all. The magnet goes in the bottom of the container, and the rolled-up log keeps it in place. Half a hard disk magnet will hold something that small in place firmly, even through the bottom of the container. I'll try that for my next magnetic micro.

I found a magnetic 35mm canister today which used no glue at all. The magnet goes in the bottom of the container, and the rolled-up log keeps it in place. Half a hard disk magnet will hold something that small in place firmly, even through the bottom of the container. I'll try that for my next magnetic micro.

Ahhh, a fellow micro enthusiast!

We're a minority in these parts! :)

Ahhh, a fellow micro enthusiast!

We're a minority in these parts! :D

And long may it remain so.......... :D:)