Jeep Travel bugs

PastorChip

I am relatively new to geocaching. A little over a year, and only about 50 finds. Because I am too busy to do it much. Only one hide.

Recently I noticed with excitement that the Jeep Challenge started again. But as of yet I have seen only one within 50 miles of my house and it never showed up again.

When I traced it by name I found out that one of the local cachers had it and had been holding it long term. He found many caches in the meantime, but had not put it down.

So looking closer I nosing around some more I found several cachers that were holding them, that is not passing them on.

Surely this is not normal?

But my main question is - Does Jeep allow the same cacher to use the same travel bug to enter their constest over and over each month?

If so they could discourage people who hold onto the jeeps by disallowing multiple entries by same person and same jeep.

Surely this is not normal?

But my main question is - Does Jeep allow the same cacher to use the same travel bug to enter their constest over and over each month?

If so they could discourage people who hold onto the jeeps by disallowing multiple entries by same person and same jeep.

It shouldn't be the norm, but unfortunately it is...

Jeep only allows you to enter the contest if you found it in a cache and then place it in a cache (at least that's what i remember the rules to be).

The problem is that people keep them for the numbers, and think it's "cool" to bring 4 or 5 or more to an event for only people to "discover" them and then take them home until the next event...I was at an event last weekend, and someone had two of the green ones, and a yellow and white one (they gave away the yellow and white one to be placed somewhere i guess), I asked them in a round about way if i could take one to place, and they politely said 'no', so I cringed and walked away....IMO sad...

That reminds me. I have one I need to drop. Thanks for bringing this up.

LOL glad to help. :laughing:

The rule is one entry per jeep per month per user, so once you enter a photo of a certain Jeep it can't be used again by you. So you drop it off for some one else. It does not matter if you place it in a cache again.

I have noticed white and yellow jeeps are being kept and green ones have been seen a lot around my area.

Edited by jmmhooper

I have a green jeep in my inventory right now. I just gotta take my pic of it (prolly tomorrow) for the contest.

then tomorrow afternoon I will place it back in a cache.

It was the only one within 50 miles of my house and I had to climb a small mtn to get it. glad it was actually in the cache.

I will place it in a cache tomorrow or thurs prolly within 25 miles of 12561

here it is, hanging below Lexi.

jeepcontest2.JPG

Edited by bigstatik

At least they logged them out. I have seen several cache's that have the jeeps listed but with no jeep in the cache upon arrival. These jeeps appear to have become collectors items.

Yes, but if you read the contest rules, you can still enter the contest. The rules stated that if you visited a cache that is supposed to have a GJTB, and it is not there, you can submit 2 pictures to enter, one showing the cache, its coordinates and the lack of the GJTB, and another showing the topic of the challenge for the month of entry. At least you can still enter the contest since the GJTB is still listed as in the cache even though it is not there...

At least they logged them out. I have seen several cache's that have the jeeps listed but with no jeep in the cache upon arrival. These jeeps appear to have become collectors items.

Yes, but if you read the contest rules, you can still enter the contest. The rules stated that if you visited a cache that is supposed to have a GJTB, and it is not there, you can submit 2 pictures to enter, one showing the cache, its coordinates and the lack of the GJTB, and another showing the topic of the challenge for the month of entry. At least you can still enter the contest since the GJTB is still listed as in the cache even though it is not there...

True, but, My 68 year old dad thought it was to much trouble to enter when he had a jeep in hand let alone go through all that. My feeling is that would be a big pain to do that and...well doubt you would win :P

Heck, I have fun finding and then posting a pic knowing I have a very slim chance of winning.

But as of yet I have seen only one within 50 miles of my house and it never showed up again.
Bummer. Jeeppy Appleseed (me) just went by your house a couple of weeks ago. I only found one cache there and I did not put a Jeep in it(Exit 9 just inside AZ off of I-40, ate at Wendy's). :P

frankly it angers me That people keep them

I was walking in good ol wally world just last week and seen the same jeep that is on the bugs

you can by it for like 80 cents

so If you think they are so importand you need to keep one and can't afford 80 cents let me know

I try to help you out with a loan

I have two in my possesion now

just sent one in the mail to a Freind in Switzerland

and the other i wll be moving quickly

(got both of them this week) :P

I was walking in good ol wally world just last week and seen the same jeep that is on the bugs

so If you think they are so importand you need to keep one and can't afford 80 cents let me know

I have been trying to find any jeeps, especially the bigger white ones at a toy store or walmart, where did you see them? What state?

I have been trying to find any jeeps, especially the bigger white ones at a toy store or walmart, where did you see them? What state?

http://allthingsjeep.com/models-diecast-models.html

http://allthingsjeep.com/jee-jt006.html

Buy all you want. Green jeep are on the front page.

Edited by mtn-man

The green ones, maybe. The white ones in the right scale are harder to find on the internet. I will look some later tonight to see if I can find the white ones. Maybe someone else can point to a link that sells them. That site I linked to has a great price on the 1/27th size! That's a big Jeep for $9.99.

I got a couple of the white Rubicons off ebay. They're on there all the time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-43-Jeep-Rubicon-Die-...1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks for the link I knew they were out there somewhere but I am wanting to know where those .80 cent ones are the poster mentioned offering a loan for :unsure:

I got a couple of the white Rubicons off ebay. They're on there all the time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-43-Jeep-Rubicon-Die-...1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks for the link I knew they were out there somewhere but I am wanting to know where those .80 cent ones are the poster mentioned offering a loan for :P

I've actually seen these at Walmart for a couple bucks. The smaller Jeeps (Sahara and Liberty/Grand Cherokees pictured at the link above to All Things Jeep) are usually available in two-packs at Walmart for about 99 cents, although they aren't the actual travel bug models.

So, say there is a new cacher with only around 30 finds... and they took a jeep the end of August - and still have it. Does jeep send them an email asking them to release it or do local cachers get that fun job? Or, do we just do nothing? It's one that I havn't found yet and as there are only a few in the area - it would be nice to be able to play in the contest some more.

What do folks do in this situation?

Edited by Wile E. Dragonfly

I was mailed 1 to release and I found 1. Put them both in 1 of my caches to both get them moving up in my area and draw folks to my cache. Well, it worked...up to a point. Both times the Jeeps got passed off to someone that immediately took them directly from Texas to England. So much for making them available to my local cachers. :P

good thing they took a US contest piece to england. arg

The green ones, maybe. The white ones in the right scale are harder to find on the internet. I will look some later tonight to see if I can find the white ones. Maybe someone else can point to a link that sells them. That site I linked to has a great price on the 1/27th size! That's a big Jeep for $9.99.

I bought some white Jeeps here.

http://bbjeep2.stores.yahoo.net/jewrrupu.html

They are identical to the ones on the WJTB, even the same box. I've also found two at Walmart in the last six months or so but they're hard to come by. The price there is $1.97, if you can find them.

I've also found some green Jeeps at Walmart identical to the ones on the GJTB. They usually come in a two pack with a different jeep for about a dollar. They don't always have them, you just have to keep looking.

Here's a picture of my Jeep collection. The one on top is a real WJTB that I found in a cache (I've since moved it along), the one bottom center I found at Walmart (note the price) and the others I got from the link above.

a780c22a-6c49-46b4-a212-91b14fa92de3.jpg

I've seen a few logs where people have said that their kid was so thrilled with the Jeep TB that they just couldn't part with it. If you're thinking of doing that, hopefully you'll consider buying one instead and letting the TB go.

It's unbelievable that people are so selfish and/or cheap that they keep them.

Last year I had a WJTB that, IMO, had been in my possession too long .. two weeks.

One day I had a migraine and stayed home from work. I was seriously ailin' but there was a cache not too far from home so I set out to drop off the TB. It was a hundred and two in the shade, my vision was failing, my head was splitting and I was nauseaus. Later that day I noticed the WJTB had been picked up by the cache owners.

Over a year later, the details for the bug show it in their continued possession. Not only did they remove the bug from circulation, they removed it before the contest was over so no one else in the area could use it to enter the contest.

Rude, crude, and socially unacceptable.

So, say there is a new cacher with only around 30 finds... and they took a jeep the end of August - and still have it. Does jeep send them an email asking them to release it or do local cachers get that fun job? Or, do we just do nothing? It's one that I havn't found yet and as there are only a few in the area - it would be nice to be able to play in the contest some more.

What do folks do in this situation?

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to send them a nice email asking them if they have plans on releasing it any time soon ... or if you could grab it from them.

It's unbelievable that people are so selfish and/or cheap that they keep them.

Last year I had a WJTB that, IMO, had been in my possession too long .. two weeks.

One day I had a migraine and stayed home from work. I was seriously ailin' but there was a cache not too far from home so I set out to drop off the TB. It was a hundred and two in the shade, my vision was failing, my head was splitting and I was nauseaus. Later that day I noticed the WJTB had been picked up by the cache owners.

Over a year later, the details for the bug show it in their continued possession. Not only did they remove the bug from circulation, they removed it before the contest was over so no one else in the area could use it to enter the contest.

Rude, crude, and socially unacceptable.

So why not tell them? They are still active, looks like... I'm not afraid, just sent them a note asking why they feel it is acceptible to steal TBs.

Edited by benh57

Quote: "I have a green jeep in my inventory right now.

jeepcontest2.JPG"

I have a terrible time trying to search through the forums to find the correct location to read posts or to ask a question. Since this post includes a photo of a jeep, maybe you can help me. For the last 3 days, I cannot view photos, nor download any photos on Geocaching.com pages. I first noticed it when I tried to upload a Jeep photo for the contest, and also tried to view a photo someone else had submitted. Then it continued on the regular Geocaching pages when I opened a cache page, or when I tried to add photos to my own cache pages. Any clues as to what is going on? Also, where can I go to get help for this problem? The search in Forum topics comes up "No results".

Thanks, tumbleweed2

Edited by tumbleweed2

I have a green jeep in my inventory right now.

jeepcontest2.JPG

I have a terrible time trying to search through the forums to find the correct location to read posts or to ask a question. Since this post includes a photo of a jeep, maybe you can help me. For the last 3 days, I cannot view photos, nor download any photos on Geocaching.com pages. I first noticed it when I tried to upload a Jeep photo for the contest, and also tried to view a photo someone else had submitted. Then it continued on the regular Geocaching pages when I opened a cache page, or when I tried to add photos to my own cache pages. Any clues as to what is going on? Also, where can I go to get help for this problem? The search in Forum topics comes up "No results".

Thanks, tumbleweed2

Do you know how to make your pictures smaller? Do you try to upload these large pictures?

Not to sound cruel but why is every one worried about what other cachers do or have.After I log a jeep and drop it I know I did the right thing.If the next cacher picks it up and keeps it then they dont have a conscience or just dont care if others ever get the chance to log a Jeep TB

Not to sound cruel but why is every one worried about what other cachers do or have.After I log a jeep and drop it I know I did the right thing.If the next cacher picks it up and keeps it then they dont have a conscience or just dont care if others ever get the chance to log a Jeep TB

We are commiserating. Sharing the angst and complaining about people who are being selfish by not simply logging the jeep, taking pictures, whatever and then placing it into another cache. They are handling them, if not as their own personal property, in complete disregard to the rest of the community.

They are only thinking about themselves. And yes I do know it’s only a toy. That actually only adds to the fact that I am amazed people would keep 8 to 15 of them for themselves.

So I think it's a fair topic to discuss.

We are commiserating. Sharing the angst and complaining about people who are being selfish by not simply logging the jeep, taking pictures, whatever and then placing it into another cache. They are handling them, if not as their own personal property, in complete disregard to the rest of the community.

They are only thinking about themselves. And yes I do know it’s only a toy. That actually only adds to the fact that I am amazed people would keep 8 to 15 of them for themselves.

As I said "They dont have a CONSCIENCE or just dont CARE about their fellow cachers

As I said "They dont have a CONSCIENCE or just dont CARE about their fellow cachers

And I worry about them, which is why I replied. :D

:D

edit y - ied

Edited by BlueDeuce

I just checked for Jeep TBs around my area.Within 30 miles there are 6 and I have logged and placed 2 of them.If I went and got those Jeeps and if the OP would give me his home address so I could send him one would that help?..No because some cachers would still be hoarding the ones they have.How do we get the hoarders to drop the Jeeps for others to enjoy is the Question I think in a round about way.

Since the Jeep TB's are not a so called "regular" TB and are used as a part of a contest where the winner receives a prize, I think holding them for an extended length of time or permanantly is wrong.

The JeepTB site should have something in their regulations that specifies the amount of time that someone can "hold" any Jeep TB and then disqualify any Jeep TB that they have logged in for the contest if they are found to be in possession of any of them without placing them.

We all face the unfortunate possibility that someone will lose a TB, a child takes a fancy to a particular TB, or someone forgets to place the TB in a timely manner. The "prize" of TB owners is getting to watch where they travel and how far they can go. Losing them is a bummer, but the only person that loses is the owner. When someone keeps a contest TB, EVERYONE loses. They are *stealing* a game piece that is active and they are depriving others of the right to claim it temporarily for their chance at winning.

Anyone in possession of a Green Jeep TB at this point and has not placed it in a cache for others to find, needs a flurry of blunt emails by honest geocachers pronto.

As for it being "just a toy", I digress. Just like the geocoins...these have become collectors items. They're totally worthless monetarily, but some people like the bragging rights. Those people IMMHO need to get a serious life.

I'm guilty of holding some for WAY too long, but I don't get out to cache often. If it's possible, I'll put a TB in a cache after two weeks (or have momo_taro do it, as he has a lot more opportunity to go than than I do).

Usually I can get it in a cache soon enough, but there have been a couple times where I could not get one placed.

Since the Jeep TB's are not a so called "regular" TB and are used as a part of a contest where the winner receives a prize, I think holding them for an extended length of time or permanantly is wrong.

The JeepTB site should have something in their regulations that specifies the amount of time that someone can "hold" any Jeep TB and then disqualify any Jeep TB that they have logged in for the contest if they are found to be in possession of any of them without placing them.

We all face the unfortunate possibility that someone will lose a TB, a child takes a fancy to a particular TB, or someone forgets to place the TB in a timely manner. The "prize" of TB owners is getting to watch where they travel and how far they can go. Losing them is a bummer, but the only person that loses is the owner. When someone keeps a contest TB, EVERYONE loses. They are *stealing* a game piece that is active and they are depriving others of the right to claim it temporarily for their chance at winning.

Anyone in possession of a Green Jeep TB at this point and has not placed it in a cache for others to find, needs a flurry of blunt emails by honest geocachers pronto.

As for it being "just a toy", I digress. Just like the geocoins...these have become collectors items. They're totally worthless monetarily, but some people like the bragging rights. Those people IMMHO need to get a serious life.

So then what do you say about the WJTB and YJTB, contest is over so what to do with them?

Thanks, tumbleweed2

Do you know how to make your pictures smaller? Do you try to upload these large pictures?

That large photo went with the prior log I was quoting and responding to, it wasn't my photo. But yes, I have trouble with trying to upload my photos. I have a MacIntosh computer and my i-Photo program doesn't allow me to crop, shrink, or otherwise edit them, so I have trouble with that sometimes. I finally found the setting to reduce the size on my camera, to allow for email ease.

Ironically, once I posted the forum message, the geocaching site straightened up and I can now play with the photos. I guess it was doing screwy things and was down frequently for several days.

Thanks for the response.

I too have been guilty of holding onto Jeep TB's too long...but I've always released them. What makes me feel bad is that the cache I found mine in.. I had allready found. I don't think it's wrong or bad to take a tb from a prevoiusly found cache.. espically since green jeep tb's are so hard to come by...

I sent off for a Green Jeep Travel Bug it was so exciting to have one, took pics of it and sent it on it's way. It made it to only 2 caches before it was gone for good. I don't understand why people have to keep them. Keep them for WHAT? to sell on ebay to make what a few bucks or just to say OH I HAVE

A JEEP TRAVEL BUG HOW COOL is that, well it is not cool at all. I spent allot of time taking just the right pics of it to sent it off on it's way and now to have it gone after being in 2 caches. Kinda took the fun out of placing TB's for me.

It is the fun of the game or the sport of geocaching to send them on their way to watch where they go and what people say. it is very sad that people have to take away from other peoples fun.

Sorry to be a bummer on this subject but that is how i feel. :)

we"re lost