Well it had to happen

Off topic threads are generating a lot of heat in this forum, especially since I had the temerity to go away for the day.

I have tried in the past to moderate this forum with a light touch and despite misgivings recently I have let a number of topics flourish which perhaps I shouldn't have. I have tried to ignore my own feelings about such threads, not wanting to let personal prejudice cloud my judgement. However I've now decided to apply the forum guidelines more strictly and I have closed a number of threads which seem to have no relevance to Geocaching. I will take similar action in the future if I feel a thread does not have at least a passing geocaching content.

For premium members there is the Off Topic forum and there are also the GCUK and GAGB forums.

No, no, no, no and no. I am sorry Lacto, but no.

Hopefully you realise I do have a certain amount of respect for your judgment on such matters, but what I see has happened here is that a few who do not like the way things have gone a bit mad and proved a point by abusing the systems themselves to force your hind.

Rather ironically I am arguing against my wishes, but please consider the situation and hopefully you will realise that what you should do is not change your moderation technique because of the actions of a few.

Alistair {who is rather annoyed at the childish behaviour of the few, who know who they are}

Edited by alistair_uk
but what I see has happened here is that a few who do not like the way things have gone a bit mad and proved a point by abusing the systems themselves to force your hind.

It's the same in all walks of life, the silent majority are ruled over by the vocal minority. Censorship by any other name!

It's the same in all walks of life, the silent majority are ruled over by the vocal minority. Censorship by any other name!

Nah, it's one man, one vote. Lacto is the man and he has used his vote. :D

( with apologies to Terry Pratchet)

Edited by naffita

As Most people who use this forum from the UK seem to gather in this section of the forum i think it should not be mad into such a big deal using this section for some light hearted OT threads. Obviously people are enjoying them and if you don't want to read them don't as most are clearly labeled game.

I won't be changing my moderating style and I will continue to allow what I consider to be "moderately" off topic subjects to be discussed here. I will not be swayed by a vocal minority, indeed those who know me can testify that I can be a stubborn old Git if pushed :D

No, I shall be using my judgement to decide if I think something is "trival" enough to kill. If you consider this censorship then so be it, you'll have to live with it.

Can I suggest that if you want to raise the question of "Congratulations" threads again (after all it must be at least a month since someone mentioned them) you start a new thread. I promise not to close it!!

Can I suggest that if you want to raise the question of "Congratulations" threads again (after all it must be at least a month since someone mentioned them) you start a new thread. I promise not to close it!!

LMAO, after that maybe we could go back onto the merits/demerits of micros or should it be the return of "why oh why did virtuals ever get pulled?" type threads?

I won't be changing my moderating style and I will continue to allow what I consider to be "moderately" off topic subjects to be discussed here. I will not be swayed by a vocal minority, indeed those who know me can testify that I can be a stubborn old Git if pushed :D

No, I shall be using my judgement to decide if I think something is "trival" enough to kill. If you consider this censorship then so be it, you'll have to live with it.

Lac we are a team, there is no I in team.

Good, I am pleased about that.

...and sorry if I came across a bit strong. I read your first post is if you will be cracking down harder on everything than I now believe you are going to be, and was rather annoyed because of the way it came about.

{Alistair now goes home to chill for a while}

Lac,

Trivial? You locked a thread that 7,968 people took the trouble to read, a thread that has been going since 1 July 2006 and had 1,641 posts.

You call that trivial?

Edited by Johnmelad

Lac,

Trivial? You locked a thread that 7,968 people took the trouble to read, a thread that has been going since 1 July 2006 and had 1,641 posts.

You call that trivial?

Yup! Live with it.

Yup! Live with it.

Yeah, like I have a choice. Stupid, arrogant and completely unnecessary reply.

Ouch!

gather you didnt like our unpaid reviewer/moderators response.

You want the job or something? Can do it better can you?

Ignored :)

How can you be Ignoring it if you reply? DOH Whateva.gif

slinky.gif.jpg

Edited by mongoose39uk
Yup! Live with it.

Yeah, like I have a choice. Stupid, arrogant and completely unnecessary reply.

Ouch!

gather you didnt like our unpaid reviewer/moderators response.

You want the job or something? Can do it better can you?

Ignored :)

How can you be Ignoring it if you reply? DO Whateva.gif

I ignored only the rather silly attempt to solicit some sort of flame/abuse you were so obviously hoping for.

Have a nice day.

PS.

didnt is spelt didn't :)

No attempt to solicit flaming or abuse only to add levity and extract some urine :)

Levity and extracting the urine/taking the piss is not exactly the same thing. Give it some thought!

Feel free to reply, I will completely ignore it no matter how it is worded and then can we agree that, that is the end of our conversation and move om Or on even! :)

Lac,

You call that trivial?

July til mid August ? Even a game of monopoly doesn't last that long ! :)

but what I see has happened here is that a few who do not like the way things have gone a bit mad and proved a point by abusing the systems themselves to force your hind.

Johnmelad I think you've missed the point of this forum. It was created by Groundspeak the owners, to allow the discussion of Geocaching and Geocaching related issues relevant to the UK Geocaching Community. Not as a general topic forum.

Lactodorum was appointed as a Moderator for this Forum to act on their behalf, to insure that the Forum Guidelines and TOU that they set, and you agreed to abide by are followed. Groundspeak decided that this forum should be for discussing Geocaching related topics, and have created a separate OFF TOPIC forum for Non Geocaching discussions.

Lactodorum when Moderating this forum is acting on behalf of Groundspeak, and I can assure you that his Moderation is extremely light when compared to the Moderation of most Groundspeak forums. Where any off topic post or thread is either deleted or moved to the Off Topic forum. If he was to follow Groundspeaks Moderation Policy's to the letter, not a single Off Topic Thread would be allowed to exist at all.

Both GAGB and G:UK have Off Topic sections and both are aimed at the UK caching community.

Dave

Mancunian Pyrocacher,

Everything you said is true. That said, what is the problem with a bit of variety?

Nothing, absolutely nothing should be written in stone. Moderation is the process of eliminating or lessening extremes, not the total elimination of fun/humour by one persons interpretation of the rules.

I have no problem with all but one of the threads Loc chose to lock. I believe that his decision to lock that thread was wrong. Once again, the vocal minority have won the day over the silent majority, and that will always be a shame.

Everything you said is true. That said, what is the problem with a bit of variety?

Absolutely nothing as long as it is in the appropriate place.

Nothing, absolutely nothing should be written in stone. Moderation is the process of eliminating or lessening extremes, not the total elimination of fun/humour by one persons interpretation of the rules.

Your interpretation of the guidelines is a hundred miles away from that of the owner of this forums interpretation of his own guidelines and TOU. Lactodorums interpretation falls in between and favours the UK community. And he has my full support over his actions, and the way he interprets the guidelines.

I have no problem with all but one of the threads Loc chose to lock. I believe that his decision to lock that thread was wrong. Once again, the vocal minority have won the day over the silent majority, and that will always be a shame.

No the Vocal Minority did not win, the forum Moderator decided that it was time he applied the guidelines slightly closer to the way they should be applied. What would be a shame is if the guidelines were applied totally the way they should be.

Once again you seem to have to be reminded that this forum is for the discussion of geocaching and related topics. The fact that there has been Off Topic Threads is solely due to very tolerant Moderating by Lactodorum.

I have to break my holiday here to echo what Deceangi has said.

Lactodorum has acted absolutely as he needed to ensure that the forum operates as its owners wish it should.

The UK forum is moderated very liberally compared to others and, as such, has been a generally steady place to be.

Both Lactodorum and Deceangi have my full support in this.

Cheers and Cache Well,

Eckington

You have it the wrong way around. The silent MAJORITY have put up with off topic drivel in these forums for a good while before deciding today to become vocal. You want quizzes and word games? Go down the pub.

And I'll echo what HH said above^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by SlytherinAlex
This might be a good moment to request that the off-topic forum is opened to all (rather than just the Premium club)...would the team of moderators like to pass this on?

HH

I don't think its just the free loaders that are posting in the off topic threads ;-)

i think that a majoraty of people who use to post now use the chat room wich gets rid of most of the off topic threads. only reacently has the foram been filled with these word games, though i must say it was nice to have a read of the goings on's wilst trying to franticly search the answer to one of ther questions. one word game on the page was fine an a bit of fun but now it seams that everybody wants to have thier own word game an its takinig over. i dont think the off topic foram will work unless there is a link to it. but for all the others who wish to play silly games can i sugest the hokesters chat room as its always really friendly an a good laugh also sometimes we do answer serious caching related questions to.

keep up the good work guys.

lmn

I don't think its just the free loaders that are posting in the off topic threads ;-)

You misunderstand: the problem is that only Premium Members can post in the off-topic forum. If everyone could then we'd be able to use it for word games etc.

It has been pointed out that most of the threads recently started in the UK Forum (including those about geocaching!) don't really belong in the area reserved for UK Geocaching topics.

i dont think the off topic foram will work unless there is a link to it.

lmn

There's a link at the top of this page - click on "Groundspeak Forums" and then "Off Topic".

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I think that anyone who disagrees with what the moderators have done should:

1- Set up a sock puppet account to slag them off

2- Immediately suspend all their caches, and only reactivate them when the mods apologise.

3- (when 2 doesn't work) Archive their caches and threaten to move to Navicache.

None of these actions have worked in the past, but they're quite entertaining to read later :anitongue:

edit:

i forgot to put:

4- Lots of acrimonious PMs and emails between the main protagonists of each side

5- Some bloke in a white lab coat getting involved and banning people

Edited by NickPick
Your interpretation of the guidelines is a hundred miles away from that of the owner of this forums interpretation of his own guidelines and TOU. Lactodorums interpretation falls in between and favours the UK community. And he has my full support over his actions, and the way he interprets the guidelines.

Having just visited the GAGB forum I am glad that this forum is better moderated. I just have a problem with the Nanny approach to moderating. No I am not calling the mods nanny's, (rules are rules) but can't the mods talk to the forum owner and explain to him the difference between the UK and his native US of A and our needs/right to different?

If we want an off-topic forum for the UK why can't we have one?

I have three websites two of which have discussion forums so I appreciate the difficulties of moderating, that said, one seems to self moderate and the other needs very little.

Come on, have a word with him, appeal to his better nature and if that fails, threaten him (the last two words were a joke) :ph34r:

Having just visited the GAGB forum I am glad that this forum is better moderated. I just have a problem with the Nanny approach to moderating. No I am not calling the mods nanny's, (rules are rules) but can't the mods talk to the forum owner and explain to him the difference between the UK and his native US of A and our needs/right to different?

If we want an off-topic forum for the UK why can't we have one?

I have three websites two of which have discussion forums so I appreciate the difficulties of moderating, that said, one seems to self moderate and the other needs very little.

Come on, have a word with him, appeal to his better nature and if that fails, threaten him (the last two words were a joke) :ph34r:

HELLO anybody in there ?