Geocache Dating

I'm going to be taking a girl out geocaching with me this week as a second date and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what kind of cache to look for. If any of you are in the Virginia Beach area, then specific spots would be a great help, but if anybody could give me a general tip, that would be appreciated as well. I really like this girl and am afraid that the trip might be a bust if I choose the wrong caches. Thanks!

I would suggest finding a cache with a great view. Also, try and visit the cache the day before and leave something specifically for her in the cache. I bet that gesture will be very much appreciated, (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more)

Yeah, find a cache with diamonds in it!

All kidding aside, heed BrianSnat's advice - find out what she likes and find a cache that fits that.

Think of the scene in Hitch when they are on Ellis Island and looking at the names in the book.

Here's to hoping she doesn't have a relative they call "The Butcher". :laughing:

Since it's your second date, unless you already know her well, I'd suggest you stick to more populated areas. She will feel more comfortable with that, than if you suggest heading off into some isolated location.
I like the view cache idea if you are hitting it off. If you do decide to do urbans make sure that you don't find any lame caches or she'll think you're lame.

Go out and find the cache before the date, make sure it's there and in good shape, but don't log it.

That way she won't be disappointed if you can't find it or if it's a mess and you can impress her with your cache-finding abilities by spotting it almost immediately while on the date (let her try to find it first, and after a few minutes of her searching, suggest a possible spot).

Go out and find the cache before the date, make sure it's there and in good shape, but don't log it.

That way she won't be disappointed if you can't find it or if it's a mess and you can impress her with your cache-finding abilities by spotting it almost immediately while on the date (let her try to find it first, and after a few minutes of her searching, suggest a possible spot).

If you do that you could hide a bottle of wine/glasses at a set of coords and let her find that! :laughing:

Take her on something with big terrain and big difficulty. :laughing:

No quicker way to get to someone's true colors than seeing how they deal with adversity. If she still has a smile on her face and a sense of humor at the end, she's a keeper.

... of course, I'm not sure what she will think of you. :laughing:

That's good advice. Shortly after I met my now wife, I took her on a backpacking trip. Her first. That she had no problem "doing what bears do" was a big plus. Then after a long, difficult hike with full packs in 90 degree weather, we left the trail to find a good camping spot I discovered years ago. It was not an easy bushwack and of course we wandered around because I couldn't find it (before I knew about GPSes). When she took it all without complaint and actually said she'd love to do it again, I thought "Hmmmm, this might work".

No quicker way to get to someone's true colors than seeing how they deal with adversity. If she still has a smile on her face and a sense of humor at the end, she's a keeper.

That's good advice. Shortly after I met my now wife, I took her on a backpacking trip. Her first. That she had no problem "doing what bears do" was a big plus. Then after a long, difficult hike with full packs in 90 degree weather, we left the trail to find a good camping spot I discovered years ago. It was not an easy bushwack and of course we wandered around because I couldn't find it (before I knew about GPSes). When she took it all without complaint and actually said she'd love to do it again, I thought "Hmmmm, this might work".

There aren't many women (or men) that would enjoy a difficult hike with full packs in 90 degree weather. So I think the odds of success are not high if you go that route. I think Briansnat was lucky!

Blue Power Ranger is on the right track. Grow a set and do the caches you like. It might be all nice and sweet to set up something in a cache ahead of time and all that stuff that her and her friends will ooh and aah and giggle about, but in 18 months you'll find that you've traded in your GPSr and caching for knitting needles and searching for garage sales. Let her know you're serious about caching and you can take or leave her and she'll be putty in your hand. Remember guys: If you chase your shadow it always moves away, but if you walk away from your shadow it always follows. (www.fastseduction.com)

Blue Power Ranger is on the right track. Grow a set and do the caches you like. It might be all nice and sweet to set up something in a cache ahead of time and all that stuff that her and her friends will ooh and aah and giggle about, but in 18 months you'll find that you've traded in your GPSr and caching for knitting needles and searching for garage sales. Let her know you're serious about caching and you can take or leave her and she'll be putty in your hand. Remember guys: If you chase your shadow it always moves away, but if you walk away from your shadow it always follows. (www.fastseduction.com)

I wouldn't choose a women based on whether she geocaches or not. But if geocaching is the most important thing in your life than you should do that. I also think it's OK to have time apart to do separate activities. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder!"

Edited by TrailGators

Been there.

Done that.

Got the wedding ring to prove it. :laughing:

That's good advice. Shortly after I met my now wife, I took her on a backpacking trip. Her first. That she had no problem "doing what bears do" was a big plus. Then after a long, difficult hike with full packs in 90 degree weather, we left the trail to find a good camping spot I discovered years ago. It was not an easy bushwack and of course we wandered around because I couldn't find it (before I knew about GPSes). When she took it all without complaint and actually said she'd love to do it again said "BrianSnat, you is da man," I thought "Hmmmm, this might work".

Fixed. :laughing:

OK I just asked my wife what she thought about going on a difficult hike in hot humid weather with a heavy backpack. She said "Oh My God!" :( We've been married for over 20 years, but should I get a divorce based on my shadow going away from me? :laughing: By the way, my shadow also seems to be much smaller than me and it had some curves that I don't have..... :laughing:

Remember guys: If you chase your shadow it always moves away, but if you walk away from your shadow it always follows. (www.fastseduction.com)

Great dating advice, if you're interested in forming a relationship with a 2 dimensional representation of yourself :laughing:

I'm going to be taking a girl out geocaching with me this week as a second date and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what kind of cache to look for. If any of you are in the Virginia Beach area, then specific spots would be a great help, but if anybody could give me a general tip, that would be appreciated as well. I really like this girl and am afraid that the trip might be a bust if I choose the wrong caches. Thanks!

Okay, here are two caches that I know are good, having just done them a week or so ago: the first one, just to give her an idea of what a real full sized cache with lots of good stuff is, is Snooch's Bag o' cache...it's an easy one, just read the cache page first, don't do what I did and go there without an idea of what I was looking for. After that, and not far away, is snooch and booch's Between a Rock and a Hard place. There is a bench to sit on and the view of the harbor is great....if you can time it for sunset, so much the better. Both are over in Hampton, btw.

Take her on something with big terrain and big difficulty. :anicute:

... of course, I'm not sure what she will think of you. :ph34r:

Been there.

Done that.

Got the wedding ring to prove it. :D

DITTO!

She takes my crap, hands it back, and makes me see where I went wrong.

Been there.

Done that.

Got the wedding ring to prove it. :D

DITTO!

She takes my crap, hands it back, and makes me see where I went wrong.

Yeah, but yours is bigger than most, so you can get away with it. :D

Plant your OWN cache. (don't publish it) -- have her find tickets to a show, dinner or maybe even a picnic.

It really depends on her personality and how well you know her, but geocaching *may* not come across as the most romantic way to spend the day.....

-- but don't take my word for it, I only date super-models.

:anicute: Please don't tell my wife I wrote that....

Plant your OWN cache. (don't publish it) -- have her find tickets to a show, dinner or maybe even a picnic.

It really depends on her personality and how well you know her, but geocaching *may* not come across as the most romantic way to spend the day.....

-- but don't take my word for it, I only date super-models.

:D Please don't tell my wife I wrote that....

:anicute::ph34r::D:D

Yeah, right. You better get out your thimble and thread, Peter Pan.

:D This thread is getting really funny!

Amok, amok, amok. :D

... of course, I'm not sure what she will think of you. :D

i see the pig has shown up,but brian has disappeared. :ph34r:

... of course, I'm not sure what she will think of you. :D

i see the pig has shown up,but brian has disappeared. :ph34r:

?

Spoken like a true pirate ..... aaargh !!!!!

Thanks for all the tips. Ill let you all know how it turns out!

Pictures!

We wanna see what the young lady looks like.

And, of course, we all expect to be invited to the wedding.

Hmm we may be on to something here. Make sure the wedding is listed on GC.COM. We can all sign the register and log a find!. Look at all the gift wrapped trade items on that table....

Thanks for all the tips. Ill let you all know how it turns out!

Pictures!

We wanna see what the young lady looks like.

And, of course, we all expect to be invited to the wedding.

Hmm we may be on to something here. Make sure the wedding is listed on GC.COM. We can all sign the register and log a find!. Look at all the gift wrapped trade items on that table....

I'm thinking he's going to want to log that one exclusively. :D