Ridin The Iron Horse 3

MarcusArelius

This is the third annual BLBR (Big Long Bike Ride) down the Iron Horse trail which is a converted rail bed. The first and second rides were down the west side of Snoqualmie pass.

This year the plan is to ride down the eastside of the pass. From Hyak down to Cle Elum.

Originally this was supposed to happen in June but I got busy and put off the planning. Since I hadn't ridden that route before I wanted to make sure it was doable for everyone and if it is to be an event I had to find a restaurant for the dinner afterwards.

I did a pre-ride but only got to Easton since I started really late in the day. If I remember right that took about 4-5 hours and was about 17 miles and a bunch of caches.

So the question is now who is still interested and what is a good weekend?

I really don't care if it is an actual event this time but if folks want one can someone arrange a good restaurant in Cle Elum.

Oh my gosh, I am SO into doing this. Patudles and I were even talking about this recently. I have even convinced the "geo-ignorant spouse" he should do this too and now he's excited. (don't even respond to that carrot :cry: ) Now here's the hang-up, summer. You have the weather to contend with as well as vacations.

I'm sure we can get some cachers from the Cle Elem/Ellensburg area to help out with this. Would be nice to meet some of our neighbors to the south/southwest.

Unfortunately, my schedule for the next month and 1/2 is looking extremely tight and for those of you counting down as I am (you know there is a whole slew of you too), Alicia comes home in 21 days, 3 hours 57 minutes, 38 seconds so I am all "a-twitter"!!!! :cry:

Just saw M10B's response, thinking he's got a little Valley Girl in him too!

Edited by robinego

Ok, well it sounds like the consensus if August 5th.

Now this isn't as downhill as the westside, it's basically flat. No, not Jester's tire :rolleyes:, the terrain.

We could end at Easton with a picnic in the park there (17 miles) or go on for another 12 miles to Cle Elum. What do you guys think?

Edited by MarcusArelius

Ok, well it sounds like the consensus if August 5th.

Now this isn't as downhill as the westside, it's basically flat. No, not Jester's tire :rolleyes:, the terrain.

We could end at Easton with a picnic in the park there (17 miles) or go on for another 12 miles to Cle Elum. What do you guys think?

I vote for being a wimp and ending at Easton. I was really tired after doing 22 miles on the "more downhill" West side, and my butt hurt for a week even with my widebody extra cushy bike seat! :rolleyes:

Edited by Prying Pandora

It doesn't look like we'll be able to join you for this trip. We probably won't be back from Alaska until that day or the next (plans are fluid). Have fun!

PP: the best way to not feel like a steam engine (you know, tender behind) is too do a lot of biking before the trip to get everything in shape. You might want to start now.

Got it on my calendar. I am game to try make it to Cle Elum. (No Valley girl in me) What will it be about 29 miles? I was poohed after the one last year and this one is longer and more work. It could also be much hotter beings it is August and on the dry side of the Mt. So we will need to bring plenty of water along.

So, for those of us that missed the previous rides and want to do a nice warm up ride, what are people's opinions of the previous rides going west? I assume its starting at the Hyak lot and working back to the parking area near the East end of RMT?

I would like to do this with my 8 year old daughter who is taking the bike like crazy, so any advice would be appreciated.

cheers,

Poppa J

So, for those of us that missed the previous rides and want to do a nice warm up ride, what are people's opinions of the previous rides going west? I assume its starting at the Hyak lot and working back to the parking area near the East end of RMT?

I would like to do this with my 8 year old daughter who is taking the bike like crazy, so any advice would be appreciated.

cheers,

Poppa J

I did it last year and it was a blast! It's best to have a headlamp in the tunnel so you can keep your hands free for the handlebars. Get one for Kid Ace too. One time a father and young son were riding the tunnel and dad was using his headlamp to light the way for both of them. That worked great until dad glanced at something on the ceiling and the kid immediately crashed his bike in the dark. :unsure:

Just a word of warning the extra 12 miles to Cle Elum the tril doesn't have many caches along the section and it basically just follows the highway. But they are building a nice RR park at the trail in So. Cle Elum. And if anyone needed a place to hide some new caches....

BTW There are public book mark lists for both the westbound, and eastbound, routes. It appears on all the cache pages along the trail. Kids can do the trail just fine.

I did it last year and it was a blast! It's best to have a headlamp in the tunnel so you can keep your hands free for the handlebars. Get one for Kid Ace too. One time a father and young son were riding the tunnel and dad was using his headlamp to light the way for both of them. That worked great until dad glanced at something on the ceiling and the kid immediately crashed his bike in the dark. :mad:

If you go through the tunnel, be aware there are TWO caches hidden in the tunnel:

Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers by The Fen Dweller

Old Bald Bison by by fishiam, OBE, myshoes, TMP, geokilt, Dache

The second one is a simple projection puzzle with a fairly challenging hide (a bison in the tunnel).

peace

fishiam (who would love to go again having done the tunnel twice last year but doesn't appear to have the time to accompany)

I would so like to join y’all however I don’t think I’d be in shape for it even if I started training now.

{wonders to himself - I wonder if I can get a recumbent bike and if anyone would notice if I have a small bike engine attached to it}

The geo-ignorant spouse came home with an early birthday present for me tonight...a PAIR of recombents. :anicute: Interestingly, one in red and one in blue. Wonder how I will be able to ride 2 at the same time??? Of course now that I have a 29 speed Barcalonger, I say we go all the way to Ellensberg! :ph34r:

I would so like to join y’all however I don’t think I’d be in shape for it even if I started training now.

{wonders to himself - I wonder if I can get a recumbent bike and if anyone would notice if I have a small bike engine attached to it}

The geo-ignorant spouse came home with an early birthday present for me tonight...a PAIR of recombents. :D Interestingly, one in red and one in blue. Wonder how I will be able to ride 2 at the same time??? Of course now that I have a 29 speed Barcalonger, I say we go all the way to Ellensberg! :D

Boy aren't you the lucky one. Just think the blue one could have just as easilily have been a trailer bike. :D

The geo-ignorant spouse came home with an early birthday present for me tonight...a PAIR of recombents. :D Interestingly, one in red and one in blue. Wonder how I will be able to ride 2 at the same time??? Of course now that I have a 29 speed Barcalonger, I say we go all the way to Ellensberg! :D

If you are used to a 'normal' bike, that recombent is going to trash you for a while. You use a very different set of muscles to pedal it. You'd better take it out for a couple of long rides to get used to it.

Are you offering one up for rental?

I assume Rec gets first 'dibs' since he mentioned it first...but if he can't or doesn't want to go...and it will hold my mass, I'd take advantage of it... :D

I assume Rec gets first 'dibs' since he mentioned it first...but if he can't or doesn't want to go...and it will hold my mass, I'd take advantage of it... :D

I think her spouse is joining us on the trail and that is what the inspired birthday gift was all about. She plans on doing circles around the rest of us on this trip. I vote we make her pay for dinner for the rest of us for the priviledge of showing off. :D

I think her spouse is joining us on the trail and that is what the inspired birthday gift was all about. She plans on doing circles around the rest of us on this trip. I vote we make her pay for dinner for the rest of us for the priviledge of showing off. :D

Ahhh, well back to plan A then. :D

Yeah, can you believe this? :unsure: He wants a new bike, I convince him it's too much money siting upcoming expenditures. But then my bike, an original piece o'poo I was happy with, breaks down. He goes out and buys TWO recombents to replace it... I'm still trying to figure this logic out! :huh:

Of course, now he says we have to ride every free moment to get "our" money's worth... <sigh> Someone explain this to me.

So, now he will be joining us on the ride.

I am trying to think of how I can segue this into wanting a new Jeep.

Back to topic:

I was talking to someone at work about our upcoming ride and the discussion about food at the end, either a picnic in Easton or an unknown place in Cle Elum. She suggested Cle Elum because of the newly renovated historic railroad station on Milwaukee Road. They've made a little cafe there and it's right on the Iron Horse trail.

Depot Cafe

renovated by these people

Looks like a likely place for someone to place a cache... <_<

Back to topic:

I was talking to someone at work about our upcoming ride and the discussion about food at the end, either a picnic in Easton or an unknown place in Cle Elum. She suggested Cle Elum because of the newly renovated historic railroad station on Milwaukee Road. They've made a little cafe there and it's right on the Iron Horse trail.

Depot Cafe

renovated by these people

Looks like a likely place for someone to place a cache... :rolleyes:

The park in cle-elum is pretty much just flat sand and sage brush. At least thats all I saw when I was last there. I realize they have done some work on the park. Lake Easton has a nice state park with picnic facilities on the lake.

Cool, I didn't know the cafe was open already.

The only issue there is that they close at 3PM so we'd have to leave early from Hyak.

I was hoping to start later so that anyone that wanted to do the long tunnel beforehand could come early, do it, then go on the ride (adding 4 miles to the total). But I don't know if anyone cares about that or not.

I'm up for ending at Easton or Cle Elum. One issue with Easton is staging the picnic food before the ride.

If we do decide to picnic at Easton there is nothing stopping folks from contiuing on to Cle Elum afterwards.

I'll tally the responses and start working the logistics soon.

Count me in, and trying to talk KidAce into it, as long as people think its KidAce friendly. Is this going to be a formal event like the last couple? And just to make sure KidAce and I are prepared, what should we expect for the Hyak to CleElum/Easton part of the trek?

Side note, any chance of KidAce and I getting a ride with someone for that weekend? We live in Kent and would be willing to throw in some money for gas.

cheers

Poppa J and KidAce