J.j. Coin On E-bay-not To Be Sold

Jeep'en Jumpers

:D

Would like the help of the experts out there please! One of my coins that was never intended to be listed on E-Bay is for sale by some profit hungry individual. Sad, I ever mad a trade with whom it might be. I've never sold this coin only traded others for it and the rest go to caches. Any ideas to put a stop to this? I don't have my trader list in front of me, it's at the office but I'm checking to see the coins I've made a trade with in the state of the seller. I'd like to stop this coin. Am I out of line here or what? Thanks!! :)

I really do feel your pain. I felt the same way the first time my Shydog coin showed up on that on-line selling place. I learned not to get too attached to the coins I trade and just enjoy the coins I made the trade for. It did make me put a few more out in caches, which is a good thing. Sorry you have to go through this.

Chris-Team Shydog

Once you sell, trade or give away your coin, it's someone elses coin. They can do as they wish.

The only way around it is to have them sign a contract that says they will not sell it on eBay or whatever other undesirable behavior rubs you wrong. That or never, trade, sell, or give away your coins.

Jeep'en Jumpers, what sort of aftermarket would you like to see for collectors?

Edited by Renegade Knight

From the little research I did... they either activated the coin themselves or had the ability to adopt the coin. Either way... it's their coin and as RK said... as long as they didn't sign a contract, it's theirs to do as they please. Sell it, trade it, give it away, or even destroy it.

I personally don't have any activated coins in my collection and there is only one that I would have in my collection, unless I activate them myself.

I guess I am going to pipe in. I have a J.J. coin, I love the kokopelli and traded to receive the coin. I knew ahead of time the owner did not want this sold and personally would not find it appropriate to do so. Perhaps the individual selling the coin has reasons for selling it. Yes, the creator of the coin can't say what happens to it but when you trade for a coin and the creator has specific conditions I think you should follow them. This is exactly like the Groundspeak Volunteer coins, anyone want to sell theirs?

:)

Would like the help of the experts out there please! One of my coins that was never intended to be listed on E-Bay is for sale by some profit hungry individual. Sad, I ever mad a trade with whom it might be. I've never sold this coin only traded others for it and the rest go to caches. Any ideas to put a stop to this? I don't have my trader list in front of me, it's at the office but I'm checking to see the coins I've made a trade with in the state of the seller. I'd like to stop this coin. Am I out of line here or what? Thanks!! :D

Who's Coin?

if you traded it to someone it is not yours. Unless you have some sort of contract on it.

Of course if it is activated on GC in your name thier may be something you can do through GC.com.

If I made a trade I asked them to read my profile page...They are not to be sold and all agreed this would not happen. Maybe Moun10bike and AJayHawkFan have the right idea to activate all the coins and make there trades. I had a little different twist letting owners of a coin activate the J.J. themselves and other icon coin trades it would be activated in there name but still in J.J. hands. I wonder if that would work what AtlantaGal showed "Not to be Sold"??

I've contacted E-bay but still waiting for a reply. Thanks to those who understand!!

Robert

:) Want to thank the very special people out there! Know who the owner is and will ask Groundspeak to disable the tracking number for this coin. Hope it makes this coin pretty much worthless....still good to look at though. Thanks All For The Help!!!!

Robert

Do you own the tracking on the coin? Unless you retained that right or activated it and retained that right you don't own the tracking and are essentially trying to shut down someone elses service.

:) Want to thank the very special people out there! Know who the owner is and will ask Groundspeak to disable the tracking number for this coin. Hope it makes this coin pretty much worthless....still good to look at though. Thanks All For The Help!!!!

Robert

Do you own the tracking on the coin? Unless you retained that right or activated it and retained that right you don't own the tracking and are essentially trying to shut down someone elses service.

My Jumpin Jeepers coin came preactivated. I read somewhere in the forums that they did that with most, if not all of the coins they released.

As for the coin being worthless, that's only if the person that gets an de-activated coin are only after the icon.

Robert

I own all the tracking numbers, they are not on any site.

I wonder if that would work what AtlantaGal showed "Not to be Sold"??

I've contacted E-bay but still waiting for a reply. Thanks to those who understand!!

I don't know if that edge message will work or not. It certainly doesn't hurt.

Don't expect to hear anything from eBay, they never answered moun10bike when he emailed them about his coins being sold and he still shows as the "owner" of every activated coin. I don't know if your coins were all activated by you personally before they were traded.

Honestly, you'll waste less energy fighting a losing battle if you just let it go. The first one sold on eBay always sticks the most. After that, you become somewhat numb about it (at least I do with my non-commercial personals)

Robert

I own all the tracking numbers, they are not on any site.

Ok, between this and Jake's post I see. It's like Moun10bike. JJ kept the tracking of the coin. Since you did that you are certainly within your rights to request that the the tracking be killed.

Ok, between this and Jake's post I see. It's like Moun10bike. JJ kept the tracking of the coin. Since you did that you are certainly within your rights to request that the the tracking be killed.

He didn't activate them all before trading them. I have logged only one, but it's owned by Thorny1 not JJ. In this capacity, he has no right to turn off the tracking ability.

Edited by AtlantaGal

He didn't activate them all before trading them. I have logged only one, but it's owned by Thorny1 not JJ. In this capacity, he has no right to turn off the tracking ability.

Actually, they didn't pay for the coin, then I could see where regardless of who activated it, that part of the ownership of the coin could still belong to who ever actually paid for it.

There has been discussions on legalities of coin ownership in this forum etc etc . Also the merits of activating or not activating.

Given the general conclusions in those other discussions do as you please as it seems no one has a leg to stand on. It just depends on the cost to you and/or your principles.

Actually, they didn't pay for the coin, then I could see where regardless of who activated it, that part of the ownership of the coin could still belong to who ever actually paid for it.

When you trade coins that is just as good as paying for them. You traded something of equal value. The holder of the coin is the owner regardless if they paid money for it or not.

My JJ coin I traded for was not activated by him, I own it and the tracking of it. But I am not selling mine. I do think it is a little weird to sell other people personal coins on eBay. I have sold on eBay but personal coins.

It looks as if we have started a bit on controversy that we had not intended. Since we started collecting geocoins we have been one of those that “had to have’em all” and our pocketbook reflects that! We have cut back our buying quite drastically and have become very picky about the ones that we do buy. That being said we are getting rid of alot of our collection, most of which are personal coins. If that upsets anyone, we are truly sorry! We will not be selling any coins activated by someone else.

They paid for the coin by giving/trading the maker of this coin another coin. That sounds like payment to me.

They paid for the coin by giving/trading the maker of this coin another coin. That sounds like payment to me.

They may want to put your coin in a nice frame or case, I hope they don't send you a bill for $250 "rent"

Trading or Barter has always been considered "payment" for items. When you trade an item for an item it should be considered as a full transfer of ownership and all services placed on that item. I would hate to see my personal coin go up for sale on E-Bay but that's somthing we all who have or will have personal coins will have to deal with. Just my thoughts. :laughing:

-Patrick

They may want to put your coin in a nice frame or case, I hope they don't send you a bill for $250 "rent"

They traded for an activated coin. The tracking ownership wouldn't be included in the trade, only the physical coin its self.

Nope, they are the registered owner of the coin, it was not pre-activated.

I think most people are in agreement.

If you activate the coin, you own the tracking.

You can give, sell, or trade the coin independant of the tracking.

If you own the tracking you can adopt it out.

If you trade, sell, or give away an unactivated coin the tracking goes with the coin.

Unless other arangments have been made.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Once the coin leaves your hand (or a TB for that matter) there is nothing you can do about it. I also don't think it would matter if you have something engraved on the coin or written on the log page about it not being sold. It is out of your hands it is out of your control. You can't let it bother you.

I gave a coin to MOGA for a door prize. The winner sold it on eBay about a week later. There was nothing I could do to stop it so I changed how I though about the sale. I decided I would be flattered that someone, I did not know, wanted my activated coin and was willing to pay $68 for it.

Edited by ajayhawkfan

Once the coin leaves your hand (or a TB for that matter) there is nothing you can do about it. I also don't think it would matter if you have something engraved on the coin or written on the log page about it not being sold. It is out of your hands it is out of your control. You can't let it bother you.

I gave a coin to MOGA for a door prize. The winner sold it on eBay about a week later. There was nothing I could do to stop it so I changed how I though about the sale. I decided I would be flattered that someone, I did not know, wanted my activated coin and was willing to pay $68 to for it.

That is a good way to think about about, turn a frustrating situation into a positive one.

I had a coin I activated for traveling by cache as a travel bug... end up on ebay. I was lucky enough to actually get the coin back into my collection.

Coins that I've put into caches unactivated, I've never given a second though whether it would stay in a collection, move from cache to cache, or end up on ebay.

I don't think that coins have traveled by caches ever belong on ebay, but coins that are traded by collectors I don't see a problem.

:laughing:

... One of my coins that was never intended to be listed on E-Bay is for sale by some profit hungry individual. Sad, I ever mad a trade with whom it might be. I've never sold this coin only traded others for it and the rest go to caches. Any ideas to put a stop to this? I don't have my trader list in front of me, it's at the office but I'm checking to see the coins I've made a trade with in the state of the seller. I'd like to stop this coin. Am I out of line here or what? Thanks!! :wacko:

I'm thinking either, activate them all before you release / trade / sell, (and not let people adopt them) so you retain ownership. You won't be able to control what happens to the actual coin, but maybe with it being activated it will cripple the price for selling it and noone will bother (of course that doesn't seem to affect moun10bike coins on ebay).

The other idea is basically the opposite. Keep some coins back and whenever one shows up on ebay, list one of your one own at cost. Assuming the people buying look around, the other person won't be able to get much for the one they're selling. Of course at some point you'll run out of coins, and won't be able to 'flood' the other person. Also you have to hope the people buying are actually going to Keep the coin and not just try reselling it next week, otherwise you're just suppling the problem you don't want.

I had a coin I activated for traveling by cache as a travel bug... end up on ebay. I was lucky enough to actually get the coin back into my collection....

I've been wondering about this situation becuause it's going to come up more and more.

Some people sell their collection an someone else buys it to sell individually. What's the obligation of the second person to check all the coins to ensure they are legit. More to the point once they know they have just paid for a coin that was supposed to be a travel bug, what should they do next?

They traded for an activated coin. The tracking ownership wouldn't be included in the trade, only the physical coin its self.

Nope, they are the registered owner of the coin, it was not pre-activated.

Since the seller is the one that activated the coin, they are within their rights to sell it including the activation.

(edited after I was corrected by PM.)

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.

I had a coin I activated for traveling by cache as a travel bug... end up on ebay. I was lucky enough to actually get the coin back into my collection....

I've been wondering about this situation becuause it's going to come up more and more.

Some people sell their collection an someone else buys it to sell individually. What's the obligation of the second person to check all the coins to ensure they are legit. More to the point once they know they have just paid for a coin that was supposed to be a travel bug, what should they do next?

I'm just really disappointed in Tim for selling this coin. I ask everyone to read my profile regarding trades and it's more like a handshake between us that certain things won't happen. Does that mean anything in this day of age??? I guess not which is really disappointing. Folks, I didn't spend the cash to make a profit on a coin. I made a coin to let go wild, for others to enjoy, log, keep or pass on or even traded but never sold. Yes, I do favor other icons and have traded for those but my trades have slowed knowing as Tim found out....you can't have everything! Maybe some can but I realize I won't be able to do that. In the Yuma area or Imperial Valley your can find plenty of free coins of mine. Some are in the caches and some I pay the extra expense to mail them off to the next finder. What are things coming to if you can't take someone's word for an agreement. I thought Geocacher's were very caring people taking care of our area with C.I.T.O, Events for the Friendship. I'm not going to let this sour my enjoyment in caching or change the way I do things. I will ask Groundspeak to disable the coin and hope to put a stop to future e-bay bidding on something that was never meant to be sold. If they agree with me hopefully people will not bid on these kinds of coins. If I lose, I'll just suck it up and hope for the best with everyone out there who wishes the same. More Police patrol which is a shame but government isn't getting any smaller and Geocaching is always growing. Still, want to thank all, for the private notes and we still have on heck of a community in geocaching. Just hope we remember our morals to the community and others in and out of our area! I'm done preaching regardless what might post next. It sold, it's done....I'm done! Thanks for the reply's

Robert

I gave a coin to MOGA for a door prize. The winner sold it on eBay about a week later. There was nothing I could do to stop it so I changed how I though about the sale. I decided I would be flattered that someone, I did not know, wanted my activated coin and was willing to pay $68 for it.

Here is someone with the proper attitude. Once you gift, sell, trade, or otherwise transfer ownership of an unactivated coin, what happens to it after that, is out of your hands. As well it should be. For instance, if an artist gifts, or sells one of his works, (with his signiture on it) what the recipient does with that work of art is out of the artist's hands. A transfer of ownership has taken place. Even if not paid for, the transfer is assumed.

If we are to assume that all ownership is implied, then we would all have a problem selling our cars, or anything that has a copyright on it. The copyright owner could then dictate what we do with the item we own.

We all have to accept that the marketplace is there for a reason; some profit from it, and some don't.

Here's my two cents worth. If you are listed on the coin page as the "owner", then you are always the owner. If the coin is out of your hands, you are still listed as owner and the coin is on loan to whomever physically has it. I don't know if Ebay cares who is listed as owner on geocaching.com, but maybe they should. After all, they are permitting sales of items that are owned by someone other than the seller - an illegal ebay transaction?

If you see your coin listed on ebay and it is still "owned" by you, send Ebay an email and let them know that. I don't know what good it will do, but it would be interesting to see their response to an email like that.

As far as unregistered coins, well, then ownership is up to whoever activates it.

I received a unactivated Jeepen' Jumpers and would never consider stabbing him in the back by taking advantage of the situation. Maybe it is a common occurance but I never intended that my coin be offered for sale by others, it did happen several times. Hope this issue can get resolved so no one will see their coin in a store if they don't want to.

Thanks for the trade friend.

Here's my two cents worth. If you are listed on the coin page as the "owner", then you are always the owner. If the coin is out of your hands, you are still listed as owner and the coin is on loan to whomever physically has it. I don't know if Ebay cares who is listed as owner on geocaching.com, but maybe they should. After all, they are permitting sales of items that are owned by someone other than the seller - an illegal ebay transaction?

If you see your coin listed on ebay and it is still "owned" by you, send Ebay an email and let them know that. I don't know what good it will do, but it would be interesting to see their response to an email like that.

As far as unregistered coins, well, then ownership is up to whoever activates it.

I will gladly sell you the tracking of any of the coins in my collection. You can activate it and track it (should it ever move) heck if you want you can even make a coin clone and send it out. Naturally I will retain ownership of the actual coin. :D

I'm sorry but I don't understand what bothers you about the coin being sold on eBay? You gave/sold/traded it to someone else right? It wasn't activated under your name is it? You should be flattered that the rest of us think so highly of either you or your coin that we are willing to pay our hard earned money for it. You have a problem with that? I don't get it. :D

As for the legality of selling a Geocoin on Ebay. Consider this, if once the item was traded, sold, placed in a cache etc the person who authorized the manufacture continued to retain all rights including ownership to the coin then EBay would not allow the sale of the coin.

EBay is a huge company and they have loads of legal eagles that advise them on the legality of such things. Since they continue to allow the sales of Geocoins I think it is safe to think they have researched the legalities associated and determined the possessor of the coin has a legal right to sell it.

I also think that if a person can provide documentation that demonstrates a contract exists between the person who authorized production (the original owner of the coin) and the person selling the item on EBay then they would probably revoke the listing.

I do not think Ebay would accept as a proper, legally binding documentation a notice on a web page stating the coin is not for sale or a stamp on the coin stating not for sale. I think they would require a direct link in the form a document between the individuals to establish an enforceable contract. EBay makes way too much money to get involved in things they know are illegal. They don't need the small amount of money (in the vast scheme of EBay) that is earned by the sale of Geocoins.

Dan

PS

If you don't want your coins sold on EBay then you should keep them to yourself or only trade or sell to individuals that you know and trust. But there is no guarantee that they still won't end up on EBay.

Some people can't understand why people get upset if their coin is sold on ebay....

Here's my thoughts....I think if you have your own coins made that YOU funded and you didn't sell them....its easy to get bummed out when you see them being sold. One always hopes it will stay in that person's collection. I don't think there's anything you can do about it...but its easy to get bummed out. My coins are not for sale either.

However, if you have your own coins made, but are selling them to the public....then I don't feel like you have a right to get upset if someone buys it and then sells it. I just put up some coins on ebay for the very first time this week. If I traded you for your personal coin then it will happily stay in my collection (its big and I am OCD) but if you allowed me and everyone else to buy it...then I will feel no remorse in selling it. That being said I wouldn't be competing with any store that you might be selling it at. It would be later on down the road so I don't step on any toes there. I also wouldn't sell any activated coins or coins found in caches. I do have morals ya know :anitongue: