English And Welsh Geocoins

As some of you will be aware, members of the UK Geocoin Group have been working on producing an English and a Welsh geocoin. Members have been consulted on the design, and in particular some of our members based in Wales have had input on the Welsh design.

The preliminary designs can be seen HERE.

A deal has been reached regarding production of the coins, and we are hoping to be in a position to take order reservations by the weekend for the English coin. UK and European orders will be handled by us (Lynn of Team Maddie and myself), and orders for the rest of the World will be handled by a US agent.

If you want to reserve English coins, you will not be asked to pay until we have a picture of the proof coin.

As I said earlier, we will not be taking reservation orders until the weekend, but we thought you might all like to see the designs first.

Tigger

Edit: Just to add that these coins will be trackable with their own icons.

Edited by Pengy&Tigger
The Welsh one looks terribly cliched to me. Did you not think to put a sheep and some wellies on it also? :-)

This is one of the reasons we involved some of our Wales based members in the design.

Being a cliched design will make it more popular with the Americans though!

And to answer your question, yes, sheep were considered but we thought it would be a step too far.

T

Well I was born in Scotland and would like to see a Scottish coin - Perhaps we could design one!

That is a good idea, but I personally wouldn't know where to start.

I'm just a bit dissapointed that the site is supposed to be called The UK Geocoin group, yet they started off with a St. Georges flag on the front page of the site, and haven't thought about the other 2 nations when designing coins.

Lack of thought and consideration I would say, and I am happy I never joined, as I did think about it.

One would presume that there are no members from Scotland or Ireland within the group, otherwise someone may have thought about asking if we wanted on the band wagon.

Just to be pedantic and say that Ireland ain't UK either.....Northern Ireland yes but that's a whole different kettle of fish ;)

On a serious point I definitely think Irisg geocachers would be interested in this idea as it was discussed on the GCI Forum not too long ago. However, a lack of experience and financial concerns kind of killed the idea.

I'm gonna post this thread on the GCI forum and see if it'll stimulate any further interest.

Ireland is also in the works by gc.coins. As a common courtesy we would not want to step on anyones toes.

How come none of the Irish cachers are aware of this???????

You would think it would be common coutesy to discuss it with someone from the country in question. It's a murky mess you could be stirring up here. IIRC there was quite a to-do when the UK geocoin was being designed and certain elements of that still rankle with Irish geocachers (including myself).

You would think it would be common coutesy to discuss it with someone from the country in question.

Is there any chance you could take this to another thread. This is supposed to be a thread for the English and Welsh coins.

You are probably not aware of this, but there are already some Irish themed geocoins out on the market from American cachers.

You would think it would be common coutesy to discuss it with someone from the country in question.

Is there any chance you could take this to another thread. This is supposed to be a thread for the English and Welsh coins.

You are probably not aware of this, but there are already some Irish themed geocoins out on the market from American cachers.

Yep: this is about English and Welsh Geocoins and should stay that way.

Not a problem. I didn't raise the issue in the first place, I only responded to it.

I'm not but I'd bet they're not being portrayed as Ireland Geocoins in the same way as the UK, Euro and now England and Wales one's are.

To make it clear P&T and Team Maddie are not connected with the Scotland or Ireland Coins.

I'm sure they can speak for themselves but it was Team Maddie that I was responding to when they brought up the possible development of an Irish coin.

Also as you have stated yourself you wanted a coin and now you will get it.

Read it again. I said there was interest in developing an Irish coin.Having one developed without any Irish input is a waste of time (from an Irish perspective)

Anyway as requested I'm not going to drag the topic OT any longer and an email I've received since the first post suggests that there may not be an Ireland coin after all.

ok i will respond

I come from multi-heritage as a lot of people do. My mothers family was from Ireland and when I lose my temper it sure comes out in my accent LOL

My fathers family came from Scotland. I married an Englishman brought up in Scotland. I lived in Scotland for 5 years as well but now I live on England-Wales border. Where should my loyalties if any lie?

When P&T and I discussed doing these coins we talked of the Irish one and P&T told me that one had been discussed at the meet over there in Sept. As far as we were concerned let them do it ....We would all buy one or more.

The Scottish coin was under discussion, when we found out it was also under consideration by someone else. We don't want to fight over anything let alone a coin!

We are familiar with our English backgrounds and went with it but yes we also have Welsh members in the club and couldn't/wouldn't slight them either so we went with both of these coins and decided to let gc.coins do the other two. We would gladly have done them and if anybody in the UK wants to join our coin club there is still room for 18 members:)

Lynn

Edited by Team Maddie UK

I get the impression that the UK geocoin group and Gccoins are being confused as being the same entity when they are seperate.

I tried to join the group but my computer was having a tantrum that day. I'll give it another go.

Adrian

Pt Irish, Pt New Zealand, Pt England, Pt Scotland, Pt Yorkshire,

Married to Beth Pt English, Pt French, Pt German

ok  i will respond

I come from multi-heritage as a lot of people do.  My mothers family was from Ireland and when I lose my temper it sure comes out in my accent  LOL

My fathers family came from Scotland.  I married an Englishman brought up in Scotland.  I lived in Scotland for 5 years as well  but now I live on England-Wales border. Where should my loyalties if any lie?

When P&T and I discussed doing these coins we talked of the Irish one and P&T told me that one had been discussed at the meet over there in Sept.  As far as we were concerned  let them do it ....We would all buy one or more.

The Scottish coin was under discussion, when we found out it was also under consideration by someone else.  We don't want to fight over anything  let alone a coin!

We are familiar with our English backgrounds and went with it  but yes we also have Welsh members in the club and couldn't/wouldn't slight them either  so we went with both of these coins and decided to let gc.coins do the other two.  We would gladly have done them and if anybody in the UK wants to join our coin club  there is still room for 18 members:)

When I read your original post I assumed (yeah I know) that you were affiliated or somehow invloved with gc.coins and that an Ireland coin was being developed which is why I responded in the way I did.

I don't want to fight about it either but we're trying to do it ourselves and it would be frustrating (to say the least!) to have someone else come along and do it in a way that we didn't like or agree with. Apologies if I offended you.

Back on topic and just to stir the pot a little...were the English and Welsh designs arrived at solely by members of the UK Geocoins club or was a wider input requested?

You say there is space for members in the club....is it open to non-UK geocachers?

edited for typo....who are gs.coins anyway

Edited by dino-irl
The Welsh one looks terribly cliched to me. Did you not think to put a sheep and some wellies on it also? :-)

RACIST

Just use the "report post" system if you're bothered rather than opening yourself to a court case for Libel, calling someone a racist is not nice.

ohh... I am a white Welsh man and last time I checked I am the same race as an English, French, American etc white man.... so where is the racism ? ... nationalistic bigotry honey bunch.

Edited by stonefisk
ok  i will respond

I come from multi-heritage as a lot of people do.  My mothers family was from Ireland and when I lose my temper it sure comes out in my accent  LOL

My fathers family came from Scotland.  I married an Englishman brought up in Scotland.  I lived in Scotland for 5 years as well  but now I live on England-Wales border. Where should my loyalties if any lie?

When P&T and I discussed doing these coins we talked of the Irish one and P&T told me that one had been discussed at the meet over there in Sept.  As far as we were concerned  let them do it ....We would all buy one or more.

The Scottish coin was under discussion, when we found out it was also under consideration by someone else.  We don't want to fight over anything  let alone a coin!

We are familiar with our English backgrounds and went with it  but yes we also have Welsh members in the club and couldn't/wouldn't slight them either  so we went with both of these coins and decided to let gc.coins do the other two.  We would gladly have done them and if anybody in the UK wants to join our coin club  there is still room for 18 members:)

When I read your original post I assumed (yeah I know) that you were affiliated or somehow invloved with gc.coins and that an Ireland coin was being developed which is why I responded in the way I did.

I don't want to fight about it either but we're trying to do it ourselves and it would be frustrating (to say the least!) to have someone else come along and do it in a way that we didn't like or agree with. Apologies if I offended you.

Back on topic and just to stir the pot a little...were the English and Welsh designs arrived at solely by members of the UK Geocoins club or was a wider input requested?

You say there is space for members in the club....is it open to non-UK geocachers?

Dino,

I have just read your post in the Irish Forum

;)

Our members (English and Welsh) were consulted about both coins. We did not consult every single cacher in those 2 countries, as we felt we had enough people involved in coins.

If we had asked the forum at large, it would have taken weeks/months to come up with designs, such is the nature of anything which is decided on by large groups of people. Since our group members are some of the more prolific collectors of coins and would therefore be buying some of the coins, we felt justified in consulting their opinions.

T

Now, lets all take big breaths and chill a little, In & Out, In & Out, In & Out

OK they are only coins, and as someone who can claim to be English (Father) Scottish (Mother), Northern Ireland, Erie and Welsh (Grandparents) lets just remember that this is a multicultural place.

Now I'm sure in time other coins will be made for places near and far, I also know that if anyone would like help or advice on coin production, that this information is easy to obtain off many of us.

Now, them Welsh coins look mighty fine, and so is the EGG also ;)

Chat soon

Moote

QUOTE (Team Maddie UK @ Jan 4 2006, 09:55 PM)

ok  i will respond

#1. I am not associated with gc.coins in any way other than knowing the person who is gc.coins slytherinalex.

#2 The UK Coin Club is open to any residents of the UK.

#3. There are 3 approvers to the club who do a residency check by your caching name, caches done, and email address.

#4 Yes we have turned down applications from non-UK residnts.

Lynn

Edited by Team Maddie UK
Just wondering if it (the England one) is supposed to be egg shaped, or acorn shaped?

What is the England Geocoin Group (not seen this one before)?

and what does "A cache in every picture" mean?

Its suppoed the be EGG shaped, hence the name English Geocoin Group (which is really just the members of the UK geocoin group that have been involved in the coin).

As for 'A cache in every picture' the idea is that possibly there may be other coins later on as a series (say every few months). The idea is that they will all have some kind of English scene with a cache hidden in it, together with an encoded hint.

T

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

It is EGG Shaped English Geocoin Group EGG trying to make a play on words/shape lol It started off as an idea and we went with it for the ENGLISH coin only The WELSH coin shows Welsh Influences and had input by Welsh members of the group

The coins are only Travel bugs and do NOT deserve the reaction they are getting. We thought it was a good idea at the time as a club with a common interest...no more so than stamp collectors wanting to put out something etc.

Lynn

RACIST

I object to this serious personal accusation in response to a comment I made in jest about the design of a coin. I fail to understand how non-personal comment on design philosophy, which a reply appears to have confirmed as justified, is grounds for a personal attack that is in breach of the rules. I certainly had no idea who had designed the coin, their race or national identity.

I am sorry if my comment, which in no way was directed at anyone or group of people - it was about a coin after all - caused any offense, it certainly wasn't intended. However, I require a retraction of the allegation. Given my profession and my work in the field of equality I cannot leave such a serious comment to remain on record.