I Caught You

The excuses have to be varied according to what sort of area you're in. Any of the following may be accepted...

:o "I'm doing a nature survey, looking for lesser bugwort/giant cockroaches/spotted bugle fungi etc...."

:o "My pet python has escaped..."

:o "I think I'm lost...is this the path to....?"

:) "I'm from the local council, doing a count of local lamp-posts/bus shelters/parking spaces..."

or even

antenna.gif"I'm a geocacher" (This one should be accompanied with a slightly manic grin)

Mrs B

Edited by The Blorenges

Depending on what sort of clothes you have on you could always pull a plastic bag out of your coat and say your a trail volunteer, and you have more bags if they'd like to help?

Or just say your scouting the park/trail for an upcoming group litter clean up. then ask if they'd like to help out next week...

The fear of being roped in seems to clear the area fairly quickly. So far the few times I've used that they always politely decline and LEAVE. If it ever back fires I might have to fess up... until then :o .

Depends on the situation, in the wilds to people who look sensible I tend to etll the truth, especially if I'm not at 'ground zero'. Otherwise a variety of excuses as seen above. Tend to use the hi-vis jacket and clipboard method for urban caches when I'm alone; no-one bothers you then!

If your out caching and a muggle see's what your doing what do you say I'am makeing a list of exscuses that you would say if you were caught

Learn a little used foreign language and just speak (what appears to be) mumbo-jumbo to them. Hey, I wonder if the Google Translator does "Mumbo-Jumbo"? hehe

The best thing is not to get seen searching for anything. It helps if there are two of you, one keeping lookout for people approaching. Not always possible of course.

i went in search of a micro in the middle of the promanard as it was summer it was very busy an having already looked for this one a few times before was determined to find it. as we walked to the cache site there was a familly sitting on the wall wich the cache was hidden on.

i kindly asked them to move as i had lost my ring. an after all of that someone had beaten me to it an it had gone.

L M N

I think one of the funniest things is when you see someone who maybe a cacher and they sort of look at you and smile! This has happened to us so many times and we have been caching less than a month. We usually find out they are after we read or enter a log, and we usually get an email off them. Its great, and fun trying to be a detective!! The give away sign is someone walking around and around holding a gps LOL.

We were caught once but as I turned around I did recognise him from some pics he has posted.

It all adds to the fun of caching, we love it and just wish we had found our new hobby years ago.

LollyBob

Used once whilst night caching in a park with a big torch:-

"Can't beleive my daughter, she's only gone and lost another mobile phone!" :lol:

Fact that I live 200 miles away and my daughter is only 11 didn't really matter. ;)

Cheers

Dave

P.S.

I also liked the one that someone posted regarding Christmas presents:-

Their daughter had bought them a dog lead.....they don't have a dog it was purely for their "excuse kit" :D

Things that are always on the tip of my tongue to say to bobble hat ramblers with maps around their necks...

"I'm badger baiting"

"Re-visting a shallow grave"

"I'm a peeping tom"

"Looking for the weapons cache"

"Looking for my share of the loot"

"I'm on the run, is that your rover metro?"

"Your females...how much for them ?"

Edited by stonefisk

Their daughter had bought them a dog lead.....they don't have a dog it was purely for their "excuse kit"  :D

Oh Dave

I like THAT one - now... yellow pages, nearest dog lead shop!!

:) hope your pretend dog is deaf or they may wonder why you are not calling out. Why not downgrade to a ferret, you will need a smaller lead but will need to carry pieces of meat :D Flat cap optional :D

Hi,

Just yesterday whilst out caching, I did something embarrassing. We were scambling around some rocks approaching the cache location, there was a family with 3 young children there too. All of a sudden the boy shouted mum weve found it so I looked up at the Ma and Pa and said are you all caching with which I got strange stares and them asking em what I was on about. They ended up sitting with us whislt we found it and looked at what we found they were very interested and the kids thought it was great so hopefully we will have new members. I felt confident they wouldnt be nasty muggles.

I was once asked what I was doing near the roots of some trees and I told the guy that I was doing some work for the Wildlife Trust and there had been sightings of Badgers around here and I was checking out their scent, he totally believed me and thanked me for doing such a good job lol.

My hubby and I was once searching for hours around this post and some shrubs, I noticed this old fella watching us eventually the curiosity get the better of him and he came over and asked what we were doing and my hubby told him if we tell you we may have to kill you, he soon went away. We were only joking and would have explained but he hed gone.

Yorkypudding.xx