Moote Rants #1

Moote

Whilst doing a maintenance visit on one of my caches today I noted a Cacher and dog approaching , so I hung back to allow them to discover my hidden bounty. When the Cacher arrived I noted that the dog produced the largest amount of dogsbody waste I had ever seen.

The Cacher by this time completed the log and just walked back to his 4x4 which he was driving on a bridleway; where I confronted him about the dog’s pollution. His answer was that this is a free country and also caching was free and his dog can poo (other word was used beginning with S)

Should we ban dogs from caching, do we really want the countryside / cityscape's mucking up with effluence from dog’s bottoms?

Moote

Edited by Moote

Was it on or off the path? Dog poop is nasty, but if it's dumped (so to speak) away from where people can be reasonable expected to be walking, I have no huge issue with it. Letting a dog do it in a public park, on a footpath or other antisocial location is thoughtless and rude though. The middle of a field, between big cow pats on the other hand... Nothing's worse than bagging a turd up and throwing it away though - at lest when it was in the open it'd get eaten by poop-loving organisms and washed away by the rain. In a bag it's around for years. If you bag it, you need to follow-up by bining it!

SP - Wondering which wine to serve with dog this Christmas. It's been a tough year...

I went to visit a cache yesterday and there were dozens of their delightful deposits all over the place. To be fair the cache was a good distance from them but it wasn't a nice place to walk through...

And another thing - someone let their dog crap right behind our car this morning. I only realised when I stepped on the lounge carpet... :D

And another thing! Congratualtion threads! :cry:

And....

that'll do for now.... :lol:

Also when the local councils provide 'bins' for the bagged stuff, would it be unreasonable for us to expect them to be emptied now and again ?

As for the cacher that Moote has spoke about, I find the only way to deal with these people is to put their name in lights, 'Name and Shame' them.......

I'm sure that the owners wouldnt let their pets foul up their own gardens so why let them foul up public ones ?:lol:

I find it very annoying having to watch my every step on footpaths - I spend my whole time looking down instead of enjoying my surroundings.

Agree with SP about it when it's off the path, but right in the middle (as it often is) is just plain inconsiderate.

And another thing.... :lol:

When large dogs are allowed to bound up and intimidate the kids. Owners need to be aware that they could initiate a lifelong fear of dogs in young children :D

And another thing...

No, that's it actually.

Why are some people incapable of leaving their dogs tied up outside pubs when they go for a meal? It's a dog for flip's sake!! Why can't people bear to leave them for half an hour? :lol:

Note to all the enraged dog owners - I own one too! When I go back outside to him he's still alive and still has all his limbs - and he's happy to see me... :D

We have a dog(hence the name-Nelson,and no he doesn't have any) and clear up after it if it's in a inappropriate place but tend to leave it if it's out of the way in open countryside, after all theres nothing more natural than sh*t is there.

I do object to people that clear it up only to leave it hanging in a tree in the bag, W.T.F's all that about?? :lol:

I guess if there are no bins you could always leave it safely in the cache where no-one will step in it :D

And another thing.... :lol:

When large dogs are allowed to bound up and intimidate the kids. Owners need to be aware that they could initiate a lifelong fear of dogs in young children :D

Ditto.

My daughter (age 2) was flattened by an over friendly black lab in the park about 3 weeks ago - the ignorant $£%^£ of an owner didn't even have the decency to apologise! :cry:

after all theres nothing more natural than sh*t is there.

Dog waste can cause illness and disease including toxocariasis :lol:

And kids have a habit of grabbing the underside of their boots when they get back in the car, then touching their faces, which can have pretty nasty consequences.

in this case we should keep the kids at home in a nice clean (?) environment. There is enough sh*t around in the countryside form rabbits, foxes, deers, birds, ants and whatever animal and they don't have someone behind them to clean up with a plastic bag.

urban area is something different and it should be cleaned up.

Personally I have more problems with people (cacher or not) who leave their litter behind. Why can't they take their plastic, tin or glass bottles home? Why do they have to drop their candy wrapper or sandwich packing on the footpath? From my point of view thats a bigger nuisance resp. danger for the wildlife as a bit of "natural" dog sh*t.

And another thing....  :D

When large dogs are allowed to bound up and intimidate the kids.  Owners need to be aware that they could initiate a lifelong fear of dogs in young children :lol:

Ditto.

My daughter (age 2) was flattened by an over friendly black lab in the park about 3 weeks ago - the ignorant $£%^£ of an owner didn't even have the decency to apologise! :D

Ohhh - this is a big one for me!

I hate the way some dog owners think nothing of letting their dogs run up and jump at you saying " ohh - he's just being friendly".

The 3 year old member of our team (JJB) is becoming terrified of dogs as we are always encountering dogs which come running fast up to him and they are often about his height, so I can understand that they are quite scary. Just think how us adults would feel if a great horse with sharp teeth came running up to us like that :cry:

I often wonder what they'd do if our 3 year old son went running up to them and jumping for a cuddle? :D

I was out caching this morning in the New Forest.

Dogs?

Pah

You should see what the horses leave behind. :lol:

There was a girl out with her dog today, but she was riding a horse. I wondered what she would have done.

We take the same view as mentioned above. We board trainee guide dogs. Guide dogs are pretty well trained in the pooing dept, but they will go out in the wild if they get the chance. I notice our current one always seeks out a spot away from the path. We do bag them up if they are anywhere likely to be trodden on, we have kids and know what it's like. We don't hurl our bags into the brambles when we've done it.

EDIT - I'm not a doggy person, that's why we don't own one. I was also bitten by a dog when out caching a couple of months ago so I kind of sympathise on the bouncy dog point. However my kids (age 6 & 2) love the dog bouncing on them and the dog tolerates them bouncing on him - my suspicion is (wild generalisation alert) that the kids reaction will pretty much depend on the parents reaction to the event.

Edited by Kitty Hawk
in this case we should keep the kids at home in a nice clean (?) environment. There is enough sh*t around in the countryside form rabbits, foxes, deers, birds, ants and whatever animal and they don't have someone behind them to clean up with a plastic bag.

It's dog poop that is more of a problem than wild animals though, as it carries a couple of pretty nasty things not found in wild animals guts. It's also easier to pick up on shoes than wild animal poop, and tends to be right where you walk whereas a wild animal with usually cr*p under cover :lol:

I think you will find ita actually Rats that carry one of the worst diseases in the form of Weil's Disease (Leptospirosis)

Weil's disease is an infection carried in rats urine which contaminates water and banks of lakes, ponds and rivers. The disease which is notifiable is serious and requires hospital treatment. Symptoms start 3 to 19 days after exposure to contaminated water. Early symptoms are similar to 'Flu'. So go see a doctor and say you have been near contaminated water that may have weils disease and ask the doctor for a blood test to be carried out

A few sensible precautions

DO cover with waterproof plasters or gloves all scratches, cuts, sores and breaks in the skin. Disinfect any wounds as soon as possible if they occur whilst at the waterside.

ALWAYS wash your hands or cover food with a wrapper before you eat.

NEVER put your hand to your mouth after immersion in river water and never place bait or fishing line in the mouth.

DON'T touch any dead animal especially rats.

AND ALWAYS TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME

An attack of Weil's Disease resembles a cold or flu in the initial stages. The incubation period is from 3 to 19days

Early Symptoms are: Fever, Muscular aches and pains, lost of appetite, nausea when lying down.

Later Symptoms may include: Bruising of the skin, Sore eyes, Nose bleeds, Jaundice.

The fever lasts for approximately five days, then a significant deterioration follows.

If untreated, Weil's Disease can be serious and or become FATAL

If you become ill a few days after a caving trip, and you have any of the above symptoms, it is extremely important to contact your doctor as soon as possible. You must tell your doctor that you suspect Weil's Disease, as many of them do not associate it with influenza symptoms without a helpful hint. Treatment with antibiotics is only effective if started rapidly after symptoms develop. A blood test is conducted to determine the presence of Weil's Disease, the Public Health Laboratory receiving the test should perform an ELISA test for Leptospirosis. If in the United Kingdom, and the local PHL cannot perform and ELISA test, the sample should be sent to: The Leptospirosis Reference Unit, Public Health Laboratory, County Hospital, Hereford HR1 2ER. Telephone 0432 277707. This contact is for UK use only, by the doctor or PHL staff only.

Weil's Disease is a notifiable illness in the UK and it is essential to disclose a confirmed case to the local Public Health office, who will need to know where you believe it was caught.

There is enough sh*t around in the countryside form rabbits, foxes, deers, birds, ants and whatever animal and they don't have someone behind them to clean up with a plastic bag.

These animals are what we call wildlife, they live n the wild, they wash in the wild and they eat in the wild so the wild is their natural home. Personally I have never seen any ant s*** before let alone trod in it. :lol:

Cows and Sheep also live in fields so when we enter their enviroment we expect to see dung etc

Dogs ( well most of them ) are domesticated animals, they live in our houses, they wash/sleep and eat in our houses/gardens, this is their home and we take them out so we are responsible for their actions.... we have control over what we leave behind.

I wouldn't expect to see any cow pats in your garden so why should we expect to see dog s*** in any other place than their home ?

Would love to see some roses and lawns which have recently been 'fed' some dog manure :lol:

Now litter I do agree with you......... slightly OT though from Moote's original post

EDIT - I'm not a doggy person, that's why we don't own one. I was also bitten by a dog when out caching a couple of months ago so I kind of sympathise on the bouncy dog point. However my kids (age 6 & 2) love the dog bouncing on them and the dog tolerates them bouncing on him - my suspicion is (wild generalisation alert) that the kids reaction will pretty much depend on the parents reaction to the event.

unfortunately, not necessarily.

I love dogs - always have done, always will and even despearately wanted to be a vet so I could look after them (hmm - what happened there :lol: ), BUT even with that in mind and given that I will very happily pet and stroke any dog that comes up to me and do encourage my son to realise that they are (generally) friendly, he genuinely is worried about them - it's his nature.

Just put yourself in a young kids shoes of a dog your height coming chasing up at high speed and you are not familiar with them on a daily basis, you'd be scared, no matter how much your parents tell you not to be.

Oh - and as much as I'l like to get a dog it isn't an option due to work commitments! :lol:

I was out caching this morning in the New Forest.

Dogs?

Pah

You should see what the horses leave behind. 

We find a big difference between the experience of removing pony dung from our footwear compared to dog pooh .

We think one sort stinks and the other smells nicely of the countryside .

I went to visit a cache yesterday and there were dozens of their delightful deposits all over the place. To be fair the cache was a good distance from them but it wasn't a nice place to walk through...

And another thing - someone let their dog crap right behind our car this morning. I only realised when I stepped on the lounge carpet... :lol:

And another thing! Congratualtion threads! :lol:

And....

that'll do for now.... :D

Golem i think you have issues :D

Btw it was my cache that had the dog dodo near

Edited by scaw
Whilst doing a maintenance visit on one of my caches today I noted a Cacher and dog approaching , so I hung back to allow them to discover my hidden bounty. When the Cacher arrived I noted that the dog produced the largest amount of dogsbody waste I had ever seen.

The Cacher by this time completed the log and ......

Moote

RTFLMAO. Couldn't the dog do it himself?

I don't know how no one has mentioned it yet but I found that hilarious!

:lol::lol:

These animals are what we call wildlife, they live n the wild, they wash in the wild and they eat in the wild so the wild is their natural home. Personally I have never seen any ant s*** before let alone trod in it. :lol:

nicely quoted out of the context ... I was talking about the things kids could pick up in the countryside. You might not visibly trod in antsh*t, but kids also tend to pick up things from the ground and stick their hands after that in the mouth .... and I think they are more at risk by glas or rusty tins (thrown away by unconsidered people) than by a "natural" product which dissolves with time.

I wouldn't expect to see any cow pats in your garden so why should we expect to see dog s*** in any other place than their home ?

Would love to see some roses and lawns which have recently been 'fed' some dog manure  :lol:

Oh yes, and please could you ask every cat owner to clean up after the cat. With a nice fence around no dog will enter your garden, but a cat always finds a way to your roses (I know this from my own experience).

kids also tend to pick up things from the ground and stick their hands after that in the mouth .... and I think they are more at risk by glas or rusty tins (thrown away by unconsidered people) than by a "natural" product which dissolves with time.

So what are we trying to say here? That its ok to let a dog foul the area just as long as its not on the path but litter is a no-no?

As far as I'm concerned its one and the same, both are disgusting which has only led to getting this country the rep that its got.

BTW I have 3 children of my own so I know what you are talking about....

"natural" product which dissolves with time

Try telling that to someone who has just trod in it during the hot summer months ( all 3 weeks of it :P )

Unless they have invented instant dissolving dog poo, it will be around for how ever long it takes.

It aint natural as its not supposed to be there............

As for cats, I couldn't agree more but at least they have ago at hiding it now and again, never stood in cat poo before, well at least I don't think I have :D

horse and cow etc are vegaterian and their poo is quickly degradable and doesn't tend to harbour too many nasties.

dog poo akes a lot longer to decompose and can contain lots of nasties that can cause blindness and so on.

i like dogs but people should keep them on leads and remove the mess. too bad if there's no dog bins nearby carry it home with you in a bag. likewise any rubbish.

it's the ignorant behaviour of some owners that gets the rest a bad name. just becasue they like dogs and are happy for their dog to jump up at them or lick them on the face they can't se others may have a problem with that.

like most other things, feel free to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't mean i have to experience it aswell. :P

Your local council should supply poo bags free of charge. My vet has a box full (of unused ones) in reception. Even though I don't have a dog, I take some just to use when other people can't be bothered to clean up after their dogs outside my house.

As usual, it's not the dog's fault, it's the irresponsible owners who need educating.

I also can't understand why people bag it and then throw it into the branches of a hedge to hang there like some bizarre trophy!

I find it very annoying having to watch my every step on footpaths - I spend my whole time looking down instead of enjoying my surroundings.

Agree with SP about it when it's off the path, but right in the middle (as it often is) is just plain inconsiderate.

And another thing.... :D

When large dogs are allowed to bound up and intimidate the kids. Owners need to be aware that they could initiate a lifelong fear of dogs in young children :P

And another thing...

No, that's it actually.

DITTO DITTO and DITTO

"he's never hurt anyone" well why should i or my kids be the first.

I do get fed up of bagging our walking boots up to take them home before pressure washing the poop off them.

Strange feeling i actually agree with Moote :)

As usual, it's not the dog's fault, it's the irresponsible owners who need educating.

I also can't understand why people bag it and then throw it into the branches of a hedge to hang there like some bizarre trophy!

Totally agree, at least if it's on the ground, away from the path, then it will eventually decompose and be washed away, :D whereas in a plastic bag, pushed into the hedge, just waiting for the hand groping for the cache....it's almost as bad as your hand closing on a discarded nappy :rolleyes:

At least if it's on the ground, away from the path, then it will eventually decompose and be washed away

I'm sorry but I really can't understand this 'logic' that some of us are having.......

What do we mean by 'Eventually',....the next day? the next week ??

In the mean time, some unlucky child who loves to run around the woods off the beaten track ends up wearing it, why can't we adopt the idea like litter that its not supposed to be there,its harmful,dirty etc so why do we leave it there ?

Edited by Clyde.