I Had A Dream...

Hugh Jazz

I had a bizarre dream last night in which Yahoo! opened up a competing geocaching site. However, they called me in as a highly paid business consultant to evaluate their business model because something wasn't working right, they weren't getting as much customer interest as they would have hoped.

Here's how they had it set up initially:

Before you could place a cache you had to *buy* one of their special geocaching containers off their Yahoo! store. You could NOT use your own container, ammo can, tupperware, 35mm can, old sneakers, fake birds, etc. BTW they did not call this 'geocaching,' they had some other name for it I forget what it was now, but it was dumb.

Anyway their special containers were made of thick grey plastic and shaped like rocks of varying sizes. All the way from walnut sized up to boulder sized, and all the same light grey plastic. They were showing me how you hid one. First you dig a big hole with a shovel, then you put the fake plastic rock in it but you leave part of the top showing. Then you use a laser beam to mark the position and other people come to find it.

They also had these little metal tags and colored stickers attached to little swag items that you could buy and and track it on their site. They did not call these travel bugs. Travel something but not travelertags or travel bugs. Something stupid but I do not recall. These were not tags that you stuck on your own swag, you had to buy their swag with their tags. Each had their own little name and mission. You couldn't personalize this at all.

So I advised them that there was already a site where players did not have to buy special containers from the site, they could get them anywhere. Their executives carefully jotted this down on their little Yahoo! note pads. And the digging thing. I warned them that if they persisted in getting people to dig little holes everywhere, that someone was going to get upset about it and complain and possibly even sue them. They jotted some more, eyebrows raised. I told them that this other site sold tags but people could get creative, stick them on their own swag items and make up their own missions. More jotting and nodding. Then I told them they need to get a better name for their sport, and finally I told them they would need to offer something really compelling because they really had nothing better to offer than what was already being provided at geocaching.com.

Then the dream morphed into something about pouring concrete driveways, burying dead pet squirrels, writing a mystery novel using only old copper wire and rusty slotted head screws, and something about these two sorority girls coming over to visit but then I don't recall anything more before waking up.

That is really amazing. Have you considered going back to your old medication?

Seriously though. If a competitor were to come up against Geocaching.com, it would probably have something like that. Big business would attempt to franchise everything, and they would need a gimmick for attracting folks to thier site.

I had a dream last night that someone posted a topic about Yahoo starting a geocaching site. It started out like this:

I had a bizarre dream last night in which Yahoo! opened up a competing geocaching site. However, they called me in as a highly paid business consultant to evaluate their business model because something wasn't working right

Just kidding :)

Don't you just hate or love dreams like that?

RVTraveller

I had a bizarre dream last night.................<snip>

Put the <insert whatever drug is causing this, and/or GPSr> down, and back away. Order yourself up some pay-per-view; you know the kind, take two beers, and maybe a nice cigar. Enjoy all three. This should sufficiently reset your dream machine. Go promptly to bed and pick up last night's dream where it left off, with the two sorority girls coming over......with their friends.

I had a bizarre dream last night.................<snip>

Put the <insert whatever drug is causing this, and/or GPSr> down, and back away. Order yourself up some pay-per-view; you know the kind, take two beers, and maybe a nice cigar. Enjoy all three. This should sufficiently reset your dream machine. Go promptly to bed and pick up last night's dream where it left off, with the two sorority girls coming over......with their friends.

.. and a case of Coors light ???

You shouldn't keep any wild animal as a pet, squirrels included

He reveals a dream like that and you're worried about the squirrels?

:rolleyes::unsure:

DAryl

Cimarron, KS

OK I admit it, this was not actually a dead squirrel in the dream. It was a dead rat. I modified the story slightly because I did not want to alarm anyone. Oh had I only told the truth in the first place.

I like squirrels. They are my friends. They make crackerjack pets too. Want to buy a squirrel? You should have bought a squirrel.

Oh had I only told the truth in the first place. 

I'm beginning to wonder about this thread. :rolleyes::ph34r::ph34r::unsure:

I'm beginning to wonder why this thread wasn't quickly moved off to the "Off Topic" forum?

Anyway yes it was a rat not a squirrel in the dream. It was my little brother's pet rat that had died. No my little brother did not really own a pet rat. But in the dream he did and it died and so we buried it under the freshly poured concrete driveway. Oh and the sorority girls, I'm pretty sure they were not twins. :)