Bellingham Cache Machine

Half-Canadian

Oh my gosh I'm so excited!!!!

Lucy just informed me of the CM this morning I'm there and I finally get to break in my new spot in the back of LandR's new Honda. YEE-HAW

The date is perfect I can't think of a better way to end the holiday's. Now all I have to do is let the husband know I want a plane ticket for christmas. :D

Ahhhh...how I miss the PNW and all my pals.

Pepper

Edited by Pepper

Lucy just informed me of the CM this morning I'm there and I finally get to break in my new spot in the back of LandR's new Honda. YEE-HAW 

The date is perfect I can't think of a better way to end the holiday's.  Now all I have to do is let the husband know I want a plane ticket for christmas. :D

Pepper

Pepper,

If you were here, I think that would be the best Christmas present a whole lot of geocachers could wish for :D:D:D

I for one will be keeping my fingers crossed :D

H-C

The date is perfect I can't think of a better way to end the holiday's. Now all I have to do is let the husband know I want a plane ticket for christmas. :ph34r:

Pepper

Glad to hear you might be coming up!!!!

If you were here, I think that would be the best Christmas present a whole lot of geocachers could wish for  :ph34r:  :lol:  :ph34r:

I'm still hoping to get a laptop. But seeing Pepper would be nice too I guess. ;)

Awhhh...thanks stump what a guy.

Ok I have an update, talked to the husband after work yesterday and it's a GO!!!!

L & R will have a house guest for a few days :lol: . His only question was what happen to the Spring CM are still wanting to go to that one too? Well I had to break the bad news to him about Travis, I don't think he was near as devistated as I was about the news. Now I need a good price on airline tickets!

See ya'll then and LB I'll seen you in December.

Pepper

Edited by Pepper
I finally get to break in my new spot in the back of LandR's new Honda. YEE-HAW 

Pepper

B) M.R. and I warmed it up for you last weekend Pepper! You'r gonna like the new ride! B)

Dang, we just cached out B'Ham a couple weekends ago. We have been there twice before too! There will be plenty of caches for those of you that haven't been there. I hope there are enough new ones to make the trip. I'm gonna be sad if we can't go. B)

Oh wait.... I don't cache in the winter. B) Well I would buy more polar fleece for this occasion.

Is the meeting place still at the Starbucks?? I see this cache is inactive!!!

I emailed the owner of this cache a few weeks ago, and he said he'd replace it before the cache machine. I'll send him a reminder email, and if he's not able to get it back I'll just put one there myself!

I'll have the first draft of the route posted next week.

HC

PEPPER'S coming so I have requested the weekend off and promised my 2nd born into indentured servitude to go to my FIRST CM. The only reason I would be amiss would be my own death, and even then I probably would show up! Can't wait, any heads up on accomodations would be greatly appreciated.

The first draft of the cache machine route is now posted, as well as a bookmark list of all the caches on the route (and a few not on the route).

Bellingham Cache Machine event page

Cache Machine Route PDF (1.9 mb file)

Bookmark list

The route and bookmark list will be updated with any last minute changes and additions on January 1.

Hope to see you all there!!

... any heads up on accomodations would be greatly appreciated.

There are quite a few choices in accommodations available -- I took a look through the yellow pages and made a few phone calls -- All the prices here are for 2 adults, and are for motels in Bellingham (not outlying areas):

Basic standby: Motel 6 -- no breakfast, no internet: $44/night (one or two beds)

More amenities: Rodeway Inn -- continental breakfast, free high speed internet: $48/night (one bed), $52/night (two beds)

Better quality: Ramada Inn -- continental breakfast, no high speed internet (dial-up only): $64/night (one bed), $67/night (two beds)

Good quality: Hampton Inn -- hot breakfast buffet, free high speed in rooms: $62/night (one or two beds). I have stayed here and found it to be quite clean, comfortable, and the breakfast was good.

There are several other accommodations that are quite deluxe (Semiahmoo, etc) that are in the $100/night and up range.

If anyone would like a first-hand report on these (or any other) hotels/motels in the Bellingham area, let me know and I can stop by and have a look at a room and report back here.

PEPPER'S coming so I have requested the weekend off and promised my 2nd born into indentured servitude to go to my FIRST CM. The only reason I would be amiss would be my own death, and even then I probably would show up! Can't wait, any heads up on accomodations would be greatly appreciated.

:P That is a hardcore cacher. :P

I see that on the PDF file stops 21 & 22 don't have any caches associated with them.  Did something get overlooked or did they maybe get deleted at the last minute?

I told Scooter to proofread the route file for me, but she must have missed this :rolleyes:

It's actually a quirk in the software that happens when you change the autorouting -- I'll clean that up on the final route. (There aren't caches at those two locations)

I see that on the PDF file stops 21 & 22 don't have any caches associated with them.  Did something get overlooked or did they maybe get deleted at the last minute?

I told Scooter to proofread the route file for me, but she must have missed this <_<

It's actually a quirk in the software that happens when you change the autorouting -- I'll clean that up on the final route. (There aren't caches at those two locations)

My money is on Scooter planning the route and you messed up on the proof reading. :mad:

Just spent a while looking through the selected caches. Looks like a GREAT selection.

One problem that I see is for Bellingham Boat launch. According to the link provided on the cache page there will NOT be a -1.0 tide Fri Sat or Sun. The lowest it looks like is +1.6 at 6pm on Saturday.

HC after reading your log about this I am either going to have to skip it or bring the hip waders. :blink:

Later

Edit: There are also a lot of posted parking places. Everyone might want to keep that in mind that the Streets and Trips (or Garmin) may not direct you to the best place to park.

Edited by andrewrj
One problem that I see is for Bellingham Boat launch.  According to the link provided on the cache page there will NOT be a -1.0 tide Fri Sat or Sun.  The lowest it looks like is +1.6 at 6pm on Saturday.

HC after reading your log about this I am either going to have to skip it or bring the hip waders.  :blink:

Maybe we can all hold onto your ankles and dangle you over the side, Andrew. :blink::blink:

One problem that I see is for Bellingham Boat launch.  According to the link provided on the cache page there will NOT be a -1.0 tide Fri Sat or Sun.  The lowest it looks like is +1.6 at 6pm on Saturday.

HC after reading your log about this I am either going to have to skip it or bring the hip waders.  :mad:

Maybe we can all hold onto your ankles and dangle you over the side, Andrew. :blink::blink:

:blink: Sorry Cathy you weigh less then I do :lol:

I'll post a note on the cache page that the DuncanClan will be there. This would be our first CM. I must ask, as I read the posts I don't see a lot of reference to children on this event. Half of the DuncanClan is a 5 y/o and a 6 y/o. They are good cachers and strong hikers/walkers, but with short legs. Is this kind of event appropriate for us as a team?

By the way, the kids are still pretty light. Maybe we could dangle one of them over the dock at the Bellingham Boat Launch! (Gonna have to okay that with the wife though!)

Thanks,

DuncanClan

Edited by DuncanClan
I'll post a note on the cache page that the DuncanClan will be there. This would be our first CM. I must ask, as I read the posts I don't see a lot of reference to children on this event. Half of the DuncanClan is a 5 y/o and a 6 y/o. They are good cachers and strong hikers/walkers, but with short legs. Is this kind of event appropriate for us as a team?

Although kids are welcome to attend, it may not be a lot of fun for you to try to keep up with the main group, which can get pretty hectic. You'll probably enjoy yourself a lot more either hitting the caches on the route at your own pace, or teaming up with another family that is also caching with youngsters. Individuals and groups will be participating in the day's fun at lots of different speeds and intensities, then the dinner afterward is where everyone meets up to socialize and visit over a hot meal.

The caches I've selected, for the most part, are all quick grabs, driveups, or short hikes, since the idea behind a cache machine is to go through as many caches as possible in a short time. Only a few hard-core cachers will complete the entire route in the allotted time :)

By the way, the kids are still pretty light. Maybe we could dangle one of them over the dock at the Bellingham Boat Launch! (Gonna have to okay that with the wife though!)

Thanks,

DuncanClan

Duncan Clan I took the twins (almost 12 now) to the Spokane cache machine and they did just fine. Actually with all the getting in and out they never had a chance to get bored!

By the time we hit dinner they were exhausted and very quiet.

My kids were 5 and 6 on our first cache machine. The SNOWlympia machine. It was snowing and cold but they did just fine. We didn't try to stay up with the group. Just went at our own pace and saw people when we saw people. The kids had a great time. If you want to stay with people just skip caches once in a while. It's not hard to do. And make sure you plan for a long lunch break.

This would be our first CM. I must ask, as I read the posts I don't see a lot of reference to children on this event. Half of the DuncanClan is a 5 y/o and a 6 y/o. They are good cachers and strong hikers/walkers, but with short legs. Is this kind of event appropriate for us as a team?

Our kids are 11. They have 4 cache machines under their belts now. We've found that we may start with a group but then we'll slow down. We've hooked up with others who are going at a slower pace also. You have to plan on taking breaks (bathroom, snack, lunch), that's the key.

I'm switching Bellingham Boat Launch out and bringing it a little closer to shore.  The rubber gasket on the bison tube is shot from the saltwater, and I wanted it in play for the Bellingham Cache Machine.

Hip/chest waders... How come I never thought of that?

Darn! I was looking forward to helping dangle Andrew over the side. :blink:

We could still do just for fun.:ph34r:

I'm switching Bellingham Boat Launch out and bringing it a little closer to shore.  The rubber gasket on the bison tube is shot from the saltwater, and I wanted it in play for the Bellingham Cache Machine.

Darn! I was looking forward to helping dangle Andrew over the side. :wub:

We could still do just for fun.:ph34r:

;) someone's looking for another flat tire :blink:

Darn! I was looking forward to helping dangle Andrew over the side. ;)

We could still do just for fun.:)

We could always give him a "Swirly"