Rpg Cache

Archan

Sounds interesting enough. Set up your story well and have the waypoint hides follow the story. You could add clues at each location to help those along the adventure. If you make the wrong choice you would have to try again (like multiple choice). I remember playing D&D many, many years ago – you have taken 12 hit-points, LOL

Sounds interesting enough. Set up your story well and have the waypoint hides follow the story. You could add clues at each location to help those along the adventure. If you make the wrong choice you would have to try again (like multiple choice). I remember playing D&D many, many years ago – you have taken 12 hit-points, LOL

yea that is how i plan to do it. I am choosing a spot and i am gonna have people follow a story i set out for them. I will lead people to waypoits as you said, now i just need a good location to put it in Connecticut.

I like it. I'm always game for a new twist to this and if the cache can't offer a great view/scenic area, at least this way, it offered something "different'. Go for it!!! I too can remember spending way to many hours as a pre-teen with D&D, so I'm just curious, are you going to be available for each hunt to be the DM? :rolleyes:

When I saw the topic I thought you were referring to a rocket propelled grenade cache. Imagine my relief when I saw you meant role playing game.

Hm...interesting idea.....sounds like a good 5/5

"Cache is a micro (35mm film can) hidden inside a block of a 12" concrete block wall. Coordinates are to location of RPG launcher. Once found, look to bearing 247°, elevation -10°, range 400m. Use RPG to destroy block wall, then traverse canyon to reach cache site. Sift through remains of wall to find cache.

LOGGING REQUIREMENT: You must rebuild wall using nearby cinderblock supply at coordinates xxxx, yyyy. Instructions for mixing mortar are included inside the cache. If no blocks remain, instructions for grinding debris from old wall to remake blocks are located under a rock 100 ft from the site.

Once you have completed rebuilding the wall, run like hell in case the group right behind you has found the RPG launcher."

When I saw the topic I thought you were referring to a rocket propelled grenade cache. Imagine my relief when I saw you meant role playing game.

yea, i am not a psyco maniac that will have you firing rockets at stuff. nope role playing game. and yes i am planning on DMing some how. I am probably use my forum for that. just click the link in my signature.

I did a cache involving an RPG. It is done with the free online version of Runescape, so that's what I called the cache. To figure it out you had to create a free character, wander around the country until you found this palace, go in the library, read a particular book and derive the co-ordinates. I still get emails from people who hate me for hooking them on the game. I ask them to send a screen shot of their character in with their log as well.

There's a nasty place outside the city they travel to in the game. I thought it would be funny if their newbie characters wandered into this place and got killed and they'd have to start over<grin>, giving it a wide berth the 2nd time around.

8595fc64-13b1-46f0-a5ba-095c51284317.jpg4659ff64-6086-43f3-ba84-640b7c8a723c.jpg

Edited by Zartimus

I set out a cache this summer that is a "choose your own adventure" type of cache, with options of different types of final caches at the end of your journey...there are dice inside the "base-cache", and your roll determines which cache you will go to next (with coords and clues to each of the "end-caches" in sealed containers in the "base-cache").

You could set your cache up as a staged multi with choice points along the way, and a combination of clues, coords, and dice-rolling to lead cachers to the final stage of the cache.

nfa-jamie

Sounds interesting enough.  Set up your story well and have the waypoint hides follow the story.  You could add clues at each location to help those along the adventure.  If you make the wrong choice you would have to try again (like multiple choice).  I remember playing D&D many, many years ago – you have taken 12 hit-points, LOL

yea that is how i plan to do it. I am choosing a spot and i am gonna have people follow a story i set out for them. I will lead people to waypoits as you said, now i just need a good location to put it in Connecticut.

anywhere in Conn. would be beautifull!!

I did a cache involving an RPG. It is done with the free online version of Runescape, so that's what I called the cache. To figure it out you had to create a free character, wander around the country until you found this palace, go in the library, read a particular book and derive the co-ordinates. I still get emails from people who hate me for hooking them on the game. I ask them to send a screen shot of their character in with their log as well.

There's a nasty place outside the city they travel to in the game. I thought it would be funny if their newbie characters wandered into this place and got killed and they'd have to start over<grin>, giving it a wide berth the 2nd time around.

8595fc64-13b1-46f0-a5ba-095c51284317.jpg4659ff64-6086-43f3-ba84-640b7c8a723c.jpg

yea i play runescape as well. i haven't playe dit in a while tho. but this one will be D&D based.

Yeah but instead of being the DM you'll be the CM (Cache Master)...hehehe! I too, played WAY too much D&D when I was a LOT, LOT younger than I am now but I can remember the fun we had. The idea sounds great and with a half-way decent story line to go along with the 'treasure map' and the treasure hunt itself it could prove to be VERY interesting indeed! Heck, before you know it you'll be marketing CM Modules for different adventures/different 'levels' of playing (increasing terrain/cache difficulty) and creating coveted 'golden' travel bugs to place in the caches. -- Man a guy COULD really come up with some great stuff...combination caches, micros, traditionals, puzzle caches...all linked to the overall mission/adventure. :rolleyes: It would be great for team caching! -- I say go for it and keep us posted as to how it goes! :ph34r:

Sounds interesting enough.  Set up your story well and have the waypoint hides follow the story.  You could add clues at each location to help those along the adventure.  If you make the wrong choice you would have to try again (like multiple choice).  I remember playing D&D many, many years ago – you have taken 12 hit-points, LOL

Ahh man, now you ruined it. Connecticut, are you serious??? I can't believe you want to ruin such a good idea by hiding it in CT. I can't stand caches in CT...as you can tell by the fact that my favorite cache to date, listed on my profile is this one. What beautiful and stunning views and scenery can be found in the great state of CT. I loved my time there and hope to return next year. Hopefully, you'll have your cache in action then and I can find some time to stop by! :mad:

Except New Haven.

An RPG cache sounds like a fantastic idea.

If only I had more time, I would love to set one up. I know nation-wide multis have been set up before, but I think that a very cool incarnation of the RPG storyline would be one that takes the player not only from cache to cache within CT, but across the country. How evil would it be to have all of the caches but one in in Connecticut and the other in, say, California? Or better... international.

Ahh man, now you ruined it. Connecticut, are you serious??? I can't believe you want to ruin such a good idea by hiding it in CT. I can't stand caches in CT...as you can tell by the fact that my favorite cache to date, listed on my profile is this one. What beautiful and stunning views and scenery can be found in the great state of CT. I loved my time there and hope to return next year. Hopefully, you'll have your cache in action then and I can find some time to stop by! :unsure:

hey i live in CT okay! i am not and i repeat not going to another state to place this cache. sorry. heh...cache master.

Ahh man, now you ruined it. Connecticut, are you serious??? I can't believe you want to ruin such a good idea by hiding it in CT. I can't stand caches in CT...as you can tell by the fact that my favorite cache to date, listed on my profile is this one. What beautiful and stunning views and scenery can be found in the great state of CT. I loved my time there and hope to return next year. Hopefully, you'll have your cache in action then and I can find some time to stop by! :unsure:

hey i live in CT okay! i am not and i repeat not going to another state to place this cache. sorry. heh...cache master.

Hey Archan...sorry if you missed the sarcasm and/or didn't check the links I included. My favorite cache to date is located in CT and I simply LOVED my time caching there. I think your idea, and home state of CT, are AWESOME!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Maintaining such a cache would be a challenge.

Unless one had an international network of operatives....

:unsure:

Of course you would have to have local operatives in each of your various national/international locations. If you had a multi stage over great distances, it would truly be terribly for one stage to go MIA and not have someone nearby to quickly replace it. Imagine if you start in Connecticut have a series of stages through NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, WY, UT, NV and CA and then let's just say for fun, a final stage in Japan. Clearly, if a single stage goes down, all following stages will be useless, so you would obviously need people in each state and one person in Japan to maintain their respective cache.

If you don't have people you can rely on over the entire distance, the cache wouldn't work and you would have to do it all locally to be able to maintain it yourself.

How mad would I be if I showed up to a stage in Nebraska to find the cache missing and to then learn that the cache owner is in Connecticut and has no way to check on the Nebraska cache? Pretty mad, I can tell you that.

Ahh man, now you ruined it. Connecticut, are you serious??? I can't believe you want to ruin such a good idea by hiding it in CT. I can't stand caches in CT...as you can tell by the fact that my favorite cache to date, listed on my profile is this one. What beautiful and stunning views and scenery can be found in the great state of CT. I loved my time there and hope to return next year. Hopefully, you'll have your cache in action then and I can find some time to stop by! :D

Hey Archan...sorry if you missed the sarcasm and/or didn't check the links I included. My favorite cache to date is located in CT and I simply LOVED my time caching there. I think your idea, and home state of CT, are AWESOME!!!!!!! :o

hey i am just clarifing. it will be in CT. i think i almost have a spot ready too.